Awoo.

Is the tone of Colors really that bad?

Kuzu

This is true, its not until the game reaches Adabat that the plot finally picks up and becomes interestnig. Beforehand its mostly just find continent, fight boss, restore chaos emerald, repeat 5x.

Well to an extent, that's what Colors is too. Fight boss, find generator, throw in an Robotnik scene every now and then, talk to Tails, and repeat until you get to Terminal Velocity.

I think a lot of us can agree that joke is pretty terrible.

Yeah but the way he sells the line really makes up for it, I still smile when I see that scene.

The diffrence between Colors bad jokes and Chips bad jokes is that Colors' I can brush off and move on. But Chip has this ability to leave a nasty taste in my mouth everytime I see him do stupid shit like that.

Well to be fair he doesn't do that in every cutscene at least.

Yeah but the way he sells the line really makes up for it, I still smile when I see that scene.

RCS acting in general pretty much makes up for it. That's why the jokes in the game doesn't bother me that much. Sonic can say a bad joke and still manage to sound cool

• Thumbs Up 2

RCS acting in general pretty much makes up for it. That's why the jokes in the game doesn't bother me that much. Sonic can say a bad joke and still manage to sound cool

Or at least adorably cheesy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well to an extent, that's what Colors is too. Fight boss, find generator, throw in an Robotnik scene every now and then, talk to Tails, and repeat until you get to Terminal Velocity.

I think its beacuse Colors was much shorter than Unleashed in length that it felt a lot less plodding

Edited by Soniman032-

I like how in Colors Sonic is cheesy, and intentionally so. Having Tails be the straight man to Sonic's goofiness was a great idea, and a welcome development to both characters. They're both able to play off of each other very well, and it's sad this this dynamic that should have been between Sonic and Tails the whole time is just now showing up.

Colors is the first game where I got the vibe that Sonic and Tails were basically bros in arms. I think there needs to be more of that instead of Tails just being the tech support like he's been since Sonic Adventure 2

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I like Sonic Colours for its gameplay I do think that the plot was a little too tame. I think that conflict is essential for good storytelling - the classic good vs. evil style of fiction that have been a staple of heroic tales since history began. A sense of impending crisis can add something to a story, helping to make things exciting while keeping the plot moving at a quick place. I’m mean sure, Eggman had a plot to rule the world in Sonic Colour’s but it was never at the forefront of the story. Not to mention the fact that Eggman’s mind-control machine was destroyed due to mechanical error and not any deliberate action on Sonic’s part. In my view, Sonic is best suited to action-adventure style of stories. By all means have jokes along the way, I just think that the real fun is to be had while watching a blue hedgehog with super-powers fight to save the world from a mad scientist and his army of robots.

Cutscene poker, eh? MY FAVORITE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc002P1pxO8&feature=related

That whole burping crap makes me cringe every time I hear it.

On another note, didn't Iizuka himself say that Colors was directed toward a younger audience around the beginning of Colors' announcement? He was bracing for the impact, folks!

Edited by The Place-Rocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

The diffrence between Colors bad jokes and Chips bad jokes is that Colors' I can brush off and move on. But Chip has this ability to leave a nasty taste in my mouth everytime I see him do stupid shit like that.

But Chip doesn't do that all the time. And even then, if you can brush off the bad jokes in Colors, why in the world can't you do the same thing for Chip in Unleashed?

Even weirder when you think that Colors had those moments intentionally exaggerated (or at least appears to be, just to add some uncertainty here), where as Unleashed wasn't as exaggerated.

What is this "ability" that Chip has to leave a bad taste in your mouth, because I need to know lest I assume it's a wanton dislike of the character.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

When it comes to comedy, im not sure which game had the, ahem, "best" script of Unleashed and Colors. But i definitely feel that Unleashed's attemps at comedy were a lot worse than Color's due to the jokes execution, which were generally lousier in almost every way. That Chip-turning-into-a-ghost-sequence is the best (or should i say worst) example, but throughout the game there are several other jokes that are also ruined by either bad voice acting, misplaced (and outdated) cartoony sound effects, or, the biggest offender of all, terrible pacing.

I'm not going to say the tone is outright bad, but it's definitely not the tone that I personally want for the Sonic series. I agree with the people that said a more adventurous tone for the Sonic stories is much more appropriate. The reason why I liked Unleashed is because despite being pretty light at the beginning there was balance in the story and it eventually lead up to possibly the biggest final boss ever. I don't remember any other final boss having so many cutscenes. It was an awesome adventure and I was so glad Sonic Team took me on that ride.

Colors.....I just don't find it all that funny! I'm not going to laugh at jokes about ice cream guns, clobbering, farts, and all that. I hate to sound like that typical FBS lover but, I'm just not that young kid that can laugh at those jokes anymore. If Sega is going to implement jokes, I wish they would implement jokes that can appeal to the entire fanbase. You know that I'd love? Jokes like these.

Jokes with adult themes in them, but jokes that kids can still laugh at. They don't HAVE to be purely dirty jokes mind you, but if Sega is really going to go the comedy route, make some jokes that can appeal to everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colors had some stupidly lame jokes.

And that's what made me like it. Because it pushed Sonic off of that high pedestal people like to place his characterization on and managed to make him lovably lame while lampshading how ridiculous that 90's attitude of his really is. It also gave him actual relatable flaws beyond all that "morality" bullshit from the story book games, and I'd rather have some surface value and not deep, intellectual musings every corner I turn to.

Unleashed characterization? I wasn't even aware that existed. I only played through the game once and the only thing I remember from it is the CG cutscenes, and Chip being an obnoxious flying pixie.

• Thumbs Up 8

I liked it. The jokes that were there just to be there were not good (translation jokes for example) and I think we could do without, but some of the jokes were actually good and made sense (Tails teasing Sonic about talking to a dead robot, Eggman's hairline, etc) I think we should have a couple good jokes instead of having the entire game based on comedy. I am perfectly fine with having a light-hearted game, but not the endless jokes. Also, I agree with Inferno on the opinion that we should have explosions and stuff like the Unleashed intro, but never getting too dark (for example, as stated by Shadic93, Sonic defeats a boss in a ludicrous way, then spouts a one-liner).

Also, I agree that the Sonic-Tails bromance is pure win.

Yeah I don't consider Sonic to ever have been a goldmine of witty, dry humor. Colors had dumb jokes but it was really the first time the series has stopped taking itself so seriously and actually make fun of itself for once, namely that 90s attitude previously mentioned. I'll take Colors's dumb jokes (and Robotnik's great dialogue) over the rest of the series' painfully patronizing, idiotic writing.

I think Colors` writing can be summed up under Narm Charm at its best, its stupid lame and childish, but somehow it still works.

But Chip doesn't do that all the time. And even then, if you can brush off the bad jokes in Colors, why in the world can't you do the same thing for Chip in Unleashed?

Even weirder when you think that Colors had those moments intentionally exaggerated (or at least appears to be, just to add some uncertainty here), where as Unleashed wasn't as exaggerated.

What is this "ability" that Chip has to leave a bad taste in your mouth, because I need to know lest I assume it's a wanton dislike of the character.

If you "slightly" rework the story and replace Chip with Tails, you would have a completely different narrative. Despite Chip's association with Sonic, he and Tails are not equivalent characters. They're completely different in both personality and role, and as such Tails could not do half of the things Chip did without coming across as seriously OOC.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't hate Chip, its just felt that he was shoehorned in to be a cutesy, wacky, sidekick for Sonic. I honestly felt that if you slighty rework the story, and replace Chip with Tails, the whole story would be virtually the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

So Tails would summon giant golems and find out he's a god?

Well if Archie comics had anything to say about it... But otherwise, nah.

Edited by batson

I don't hate Chip, its just felt that he was shoehorned in to be a cutesy, wacky, sidekick for Sonic. I honestly felt that if you slighty rework the story, and replace Chip with Tails, the whole story would be virtually the same. All of his jokes reek way to much of trying to hard, its just dry, unfunny humor, Colors managed to get a chuckle out of me here and there, be Chips constant antics just made me wish the cutscene would end.

So the fact that Chip is Light Gaia and essential to stopping Dark Gaia, you mean to tell me all that could be replaced by having Tails in his place? Riiight...

That's just a wanton dislike of the character, if not for the fact that you're not even trying to look any deeper into the character if all you see is jokes and unfunny humor.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the fact that Chip is Light Gaia and essential to stopping Dark Gaia, you mean to tell me all that could be replaced by having Tails in his place? Riiight...

That's just a wanton dislike of the character, if not for the fact that you're not even trying to look any deeper into the character if all you see is jokes and unfunny humor.

*sigh*, I know his role in the story, and again, I don't hate chip so please stop putting words into my mouth. Its just that before he regains his memory he does nothing but offer people chocolate, partake in silly jokes, and act like scrappy doo. Im just saying that the whole Dark Gaia thing could simply reworked to just a giant monster from the earths core that Eggman summons, and Super Sonic by himself destroies/subdues/seals him, and the the earths is restored. I honestly dont think its that much of a stretch.

So Tails would summon giant golems and find out he's a god? wut?

I didnt say that Tails should have the exact same role as Chip, I meant that Tails takes Chip's role as if the story and the character never existed

Edited by Soniman032-

*sigh*, I know his role in the story, and again, I don't hate chip so please stop putting words into my mouth.

Hard to believe.

If you didn't hate Chip, then I really doubt you would be saying this stuff in the first place. You'd be talking more of what they could've done better with him instead of saying the plot could do without him and complaining about what the character does. And you wouldn't feel a need to turn off the game over Chip's ghost scene and probably wouldn't have cared so much about it in the first place.

Not to mention, if you didn't hate Chip, I guarantee we probably wouldn't be having this argument to begin with. So you're not very convincing here.

Its just that before he regains his memory he does nothing but offer people chocolate, partake in silly jokes, and act like scrappy doo.

Because he doesn't even remember anything. Remember? And the fact that he was pre-maturely brought into the world, that only shows more of why he's acting so immature, because he never got the chance to mature in the first place.

Im just saying that the whole Dark Gaia thing could simply reworked to just a giant monster from the earths core that Eggman summons, and Super Sonic by himself destroies/subdues/seals him, and the the earths is restored. I honestly dont think its that much of a stretch.

It is because an essential part of that plot was finding out Chip's identity and his connection to the cycle of piecing the planet back together after Dark Gaia splits it apart. Take that out and you have to re-work the whole thing in order to get it anywhere to what you're describing, not to mention that was the freaking point behind having him in the first place.

I didnt say that Tails should have the exact same role as Chip, I meant that Tails takes Chip's role as if the story and the character never existed

And we just told you that doesn't work that way for that very reason unless you're going to flat out re-make the whole plot.

• Thumbs Up 3

>everyone in this this thread

1310921612668.gif

you guys are discussing the canonicity and DEEPNESS of a CARTOON BLUE HEDGEHOG

I never knew sanic was SERIOUS BUSINESS

• Thumbs Up 2

Hard to believe.

If you didn't hate Chip, then I really doubt you would be saying this stuff in the first place. You'd be talking more of what they could've done better with him than saying the plot could do without him and complaining about what the character does. And you wouldn't feel a need to turn off the game over Chip's ghost scene and probably wouldn't have cared so much about it in the first place.

Not to mention, if you didn't hate Chip, I guarantee we wouldn't be having this argument in the first place.

Because he doesn't even remember anything. Remember? And the fact that he was pre-maturely brought into the world, that only shows more of why he's acting so immature, because he never got the chance to mature in the first place.

It is because an essential part of that plot was finding out Chip's identity and his connection to the cycle of piecing the planet back together after Dark Gaia splits it apart. Take that out and you have to re-work the whole thing in order to get it anywhere to what you're describing, not to mention that was the freaking point behind having him in the first place.

And we just told you that doesn't work that way for that very reason unless you're going to flat out re-make the whole plot.

Fine, you win. I still stand by my feelings for Chip when regarding comedy relief. But for everything else, you're pretty much right.

Edited by Soniman032-