Awoo.

Dumping on Dimps

Legendary Emerald

OK then.

I blame Iizuka and Sega for getting Dimps involved in with Sonic 4 in the first place. awesome_face_normal.jpg

Edited by Ananze
  • Thumbs Up 5

What a stupid picture. Last I checked Sonic 4 wasn't garbage, Sonic Rush Adventure and Advance 2 were good and Generations wasn't out.

I made the picture, and it makes perfect sense to me.

I thought Sonic 4 was garbage, Sonic Rush Adventure and Advance 2 were mediocre, and Generations looks like undeniable shit. BlackLightning already said this, but alpha Sonic 4 looked exactly the same as what we got.

Your post basically amounts to: "I don't agree. This is shit". Classy.

Dimps promised nothing. Blame SEGA and Iizuka for that.

... Not sure if serious. o -o

Edited by Dissident

I do. I remember them making two new levels because people complained and other things, too.

Two levels that were horrible designed in the first place, and apart from that I can't think of any significant changes that warranted the huge delay.

I made the picture, and it makes perfect sense to me.

I thought Sonic 4 was garbage, Sonic Rush Adventure and Advance 2 were mediocre, and Generations looks like undeniable shit. BlackLightning already said this, but alpha Sonic 4 looked exactly the same as what we got.

Your post basically amounts to: "I don't agree. This is shit". Classy.

Eh.. You're picture made it seem like you're making it out to be fact, so I said it was stupid. If you didn't mean that, whatever. I still think it's stupid to say a game you haven't played and have only seen in an early build is garbage.

... Not sure if serious. o -o

Of course I was serious. SEGA hyped up the improvements being significant, leading everyone to believe the improvements would be significant. Dimps was told what to improve, and I'm sure SEGA didn't care enough about the physics to get them corrected.

I didn't mean totally blame SEGA and Iizuka for the game being not very good. I only mean the things Ananze mentioned, seeing as it seemed as if he was saying Dimps promised us all of this stuff. Dimps never said anything. I was only correcting him.

Of course, it's Dimps', SEGA's and Sonic Team's, mainly Dimps, fault the game was bad.

Two levels that were horrible designed in the first place, and apart from that I can't think of any significant changes that warranted the huge delay.

You mean the levels were bad after they were changed or before? :huh:

But my point was, they did improve things, even if they were insignificant. I hardly belive they'll leave the crappy framrate in Generations and the graphics have been improved already. Level design was from Sonic 1 for Classic Sonic, which is stupid of course, but I'll wait until I see all levels to complain about that. The biggest problem I see are the physics, and seeing as, while I thought the physics should have been better, didn't bother me all to much in Sonic 4 and they won't here, but I understand if they bother others.

Anyway, I don't really know what to say anymore, so I think I'll stop :lol:

Edited by Marcellof

You mean the levels were bad after they were changed or before? :huh:

They were horrible one way or another, but I do mean before the delay. They shouldn't have ever been that bad, and the reason S4 was as bad as it was was because Dimps didn't make an effort with it. The games, much as I did enjoy them before, have gaping flaws throughout which have become more and more obvious as time has gone on. As far as I'm concerned, Dimps titles have consistently gotten worse since Advance 1 and 2 and Generations 3DS looks like it's only going to continue the trend.

I have a tiny bit of hope for Gens3D since at least one SEGA rep has acknowledged that it currently sucks, so it might actually get better by the next time we see it.

Sonic Battle

Note: Developed by Sonic Team, not Dimps. I did not know this until researching for this thread.

Wasn't Battle developed by THQ?

The reason i hate Dimps is because they just don't even try anymore.There is a clear lack of effort in the physics and in the level design of their games,especially in Sonic 4.

Edited by pppp

Dimps doesn't try because they know the critics and "True" Sonic Fans will eat up anything with Classic Sonic's Mug on it, or anything resembling pure 2D. Its gonna take a massive kick in the nuts to make them realize that they can't keep this gravy train going forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dimps doesn't try because they know the critics and "True" Sonic Fans will eat up anything with Classic Sonic's Mug on it, or anything resembling pure 2D. Its gonna take a massive kick in the nuts to make them realize that they can't keep this gravy train going forever.

I always loved Dimps because of the advance and rush games

though I can't really make a solid judgement about their recent work, seeing as I haven't played anything after Rush Adventure

What a stupid picture. Last I checked Sonic 4 wasn't garbage, Sonic Rush Adventure and Advance 2 were good and Generations wasn't out.

Um what? Lots of people think Sonic 4 is garbage. Last I checked, Sonic 4 is PURE SHIT. I've never played Sonic Rush Adventure, so I won't judge, but there have been accounts of people having tried Generations 3DS at E3, and according to Sonic Retro, the physics for classic Sonic are just as shitty as Sonic 4 physics.

Oh, and I think that picture is awesome!

And from personal experience, I'd like to say that this is the absolute worst Sonic game I have ever played:

12065.jpg

I'm sorry (actually no I'm not), but this game is a joke. I've ranted on and on in the past about how much I hate the Wii version, and I'm too lazy to go dig up my posts, but this is a very lazily-put-together Sonic game. (oh and I've played Sonic 4, and I think it's shit, I fail to see how it works as a sequel to Sonic 3, considering how Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a far more technically advanced game)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's an early Alpha build. The newest screens are looking a lot better. Funny how when people noticed problems with Generations HD, people would always run in and say it was an early build and ST was sure to fix them, but with the 3DS version, people totally ignore this.

The only thing the screens can give any indication of is improvement to the graphics. If the level design is bland as all frick in the levels that aren't completely rehashed and Classic Sonic still has Sonic 4 physics, the game will still suck.

Edited by T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't Battle developed by THQ?

Published by them. As were the Advance games in Europe I think.

They did a great job with the Rush and Advance series and Sonic Colors DS.

And from personal experience, I'd like to say that this is the absolute worst Sonic game I have ever played:

12065.jpg

I'm sorry (actually no I'm not), but this game is a joke. I've ranted on and on in the past about how much I hate the Wii version, and I'm too lazy to go dig up my posts, but this is a very lazily-put-together Sonic game. (oh and I've played Sonic 4, and I think it's shit, I fail to see how it works as a sequel to Sonic 3, considering how Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a far more technically advanced game)

Care to explain why?

Care to explain why?

Bland level design, bland visuals, echoy sound effects for some reason, an awful menu/hub system... they're my reasons for thinking it's so awful, and that's not getting on to the Werehog stages.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bland level design, bland visuals, echoy sound effects for some reason, an awful menu/hub system... they're my reasons for thinking it's so awful, and that's not getting on to the Werehog stages.

Straight Line Zone: The Game? More like "Sonic Advance 2: Unleashed Version" in terms of level design and enemy placement.

Seriously, just watch it, and try to convince me that the level design DOESN'T look like it was meant for a 2D Sonic game.

Straight Line Zone: The Game? More like "Sonic Advance 2: Unleashed Version" in terms of level design and enemy placement.

Seriously, just watch it, and try to convince me that the level design DOESN'T look like it was meant for a 2D Sonic game.

It doesn't, and I don't see why that makes a difference. 2D or 3D, it's bland and empty.

It doesn't, and I don't see why that makes a difference. 2D or 3D, it's bland and empty.

........you really can't see this made in as a 2D platformer? The enemies aren't grouped together (one robot per placement), a lot of the alternative routes are above the main platform, and the boss mode in that "repeat level design" mode.

Seriously, just compare the video (especially the 2D gameplay parts) with Leaf Forest from Advance 2:

Edited by Ananze

There were like 5 turns in that straight line zone. Ruined Forever

I won't argue that WII Unleashed had its problems, but I will say that it is a terrifying concept to think that the half of the game that Dimps developed was seen as the good half.

Words cannot describe my hate for Unleashed Wii, id even put Black Knight above it since that game at least had menus that werent a friggin nightmare to use

• Thumbs Up 1

I've let this topic sit for long enough now. The results followed my original hypothesis: As a fanbase, we've digressed back to the ages of "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks". With now even fewer games being the exception.

I wonder how many of you were hating so hard on these games when they were released. Don't think I wasn't here with you all, on this or one of my previous accounts, either joining the conversation or simply viewing from the sideline. I remeber that at one time, Dimps was respected by nearly all the Sonic fans on this forum. In fact, many expressed desire for Dimps to take over the Sonic franchise entirely. But those were different times.

It seems disappointment in Sonic 4 has made everyone retroactively change their opinions of what came prior. That, or you had all been too embarrassed to speak out about how bad their games had been beforehand. That's not to say that opinions aren't meant to change, and become wizened over time. Just that it is more than a bit concerning when I see such a complete flip in judgement over the course of only a year or so.

I suppose I appear to be humping the theoretical leg of Dimps, especially in my admitting of enjoying Sonic Unleashed Wii just as much if not more than the HD version. But I'm not trying to say that you have to respect them, or that your opinions are faulty or skewed. The purpose of this topic has always been to simply observe this Sonic fan base which I find myself increasingly out of touch with. Perhaps you all can see yourselves reflected in this mirror you've built, and it will benefit you as well.

For better or worse, Sonic fans are like no others that I've ever met.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I've let this topic sit for long enough now. The results followed my original hypothesis: As a fanbase, we've digressed back to the ages of "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks". With now even fewer games being the exception.

I wonder how many of you were hating so hard on these games when they were released. Don't think I wasn't here with you all, on this or one of my previous accounts, either joining the conversation or simply viewing from the sideline. I remeber that at one time, Dimps was respected by nearly all the Sonic fans on this forum. In fact, many expressed desire for Dimps to take over the Sonic franchise entirely. But those were different times.

It seems disappointment in Sonic 4 has made everyone retroactively change their opinions of what came prior. That, or you had all been too embarrassed to speak out about how bad their games had been beforehand. That's not to say that opinions aren't meant to change, and become wizened over time. Just that it is more than a bit concerning when I see such a complete flip in judgement over the course of only a year or so.

I suppose I appear to be humping the theoretical leg of Dimps, especially in my admitting of enjoying Sonic Unleashed Wii just as much if not more than the HD version. But I'm not trying to say that you have to respect them, or that your opinions are faulty or skewed. The purpose of this topic has always been to simply observe this Sonic fan base which I find myself increasingly out of touch with. Perhaps you all can see yourselves reflected in this mirror you've built, and it will benefit you as well.

For better or worse, Sonic fans are like no others that I've ever met.

That isn't true at all, and I really don't like that viewpoint.

Firstly, we never said that. And it isn't like we hated Dimps further as time went on, it's just that their new Sonic outings have dropped lower and lower in quality. The 3DS version of Generations as of right now looks inferior to Sonic 4. And that is not good at all.

It's been a trend lately actually, as Unwiished was just a much inferior version to Unleashed in my opinion, with even worse Werehog sections. (I tried replaying it once, the day stages were okay still, but the first Werehog level almost made me fall asleep.)

We never said a game that isn't Genesis sucked, but we want a Sonic game that gives us an experience that is just as good if not better then the Genesis games, we have standards, and unlike Sonic Team, Dimps aren't trying to reach for those standards if at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

No, I'd say ths situation is more like this:

"If it isn't similar to a period in Sonic History, that I enjoyed, then it isn't good enough"

Its far to specific to just blame the classic fans. Adventure and Modern fans are just as guilty.

Most (but not all) people seem to have an incredible apathy, or even outright hatred for something that is different to what they are comfortable with. You could blame it on the period of mediocrity/outright shittiness, but that doesn't grant the fanbase a free "Self-entitlement" card.

Its OK to expect quality. Its OK to expect that a video game isn't riddled, with framerate, control and glitch problems.

Its NOT OK to expect the development team to do exactly what you, or a group of fans, want them to do. If you don't like the specific style of gameplay or story, then don't play it. Sonic Team isn't supposed to make a game to please you, simply because you are fans.

This is why, I really am quite concerned with the constant trying to please everyone. It doesn't work, because it can result in even bigger rifts between the fanbase. I just want a quality game. If I don't like it, then so beit. I'll at least be happy that the franchise has at least reached a level of consistant quality, even if it isn't the way I had dreamed of.

• Thumbs Up 7

Published by them. As were the Advance games in Europe I think.

THQ published the games over here in the US as well. Though I still don't know who made Battle, I used to think it was Dimps until I was corrected, but for now I'll just assume it was a certain branch of Sonic Team.

There were like 5 turns in that straight line zone. Ruined Forever

I know right? Now we'll have to call it "5 straight lines- zone." D:

The turns mean nothing except trying to add a change of pace. You're still running through barren landscapes with almost nothing going on from start to finish.

I won't argue that WII Unleashed had its problems, but I will say that it is a terrifying concept to think that the half of the game that Dimps developed was seen as the good half.

It was seen as the good half because the world and their dog already had bias going in with the Werehog, but not only that, the Werehog in the Wii-S2 version was clunky as heck- but then, so was regular Sonic. (awkward to play as, weird teetering running animations when tilting the joystick, always did that spark thing like a car when you ran against the walls, ect.) I mean, Unwiished is literally the clunkiest feeling Sonic game ever with both 'Hogs being almost equally clunky, just one being faster than the other. Well, most people myself included, would much rather play a speedy yet clunky game over a slow and tedious clunky game, so of course the Day-Hog side was seen as the good half.

Edited by Inferno