Awoo.

Dumping on Dimps

Legendary Emerald

The buck stops with the person who was in charge, and the person in charge running around going "everything is totally okay gaiz!" when it was clear (arguably from the very beginning) that it wasn't doesn't do him any favors.

Depends on which philosophy of management you subscribe to. You can lay the blame on the employee who clearly lacked the necessary vision, or you can blame the higher ups for not giving him that vision and a failure to slap the employee on the wrist when he went astray from it. ST should not be exempt from this finger pointing, but we could literally point it in any direction and someone would be legitimately at fault.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Wasn't Iizuka the lead level designer of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles? Yeah, I seriously doubt Iizuka specifically told Dimps to use Sonic Rush physics. Iizuka probably hates Sonic 4 just as much as (some of) us do, but he gets payed to defend the game, as it's part of his job, so he doesn't really had a choice...

Wasn't Iizuka the lead level designer of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles? Yeah, I seriously doubt Iizuka specifically told Dimps to use Sonic Rush physics. Iizuka probably hates Sonic 4 just as much as (some of) us do, but he gets payed to defend the game, as it's part of his job, so he doesn't really had a choice...

He stated that the physics were deliberatly not supposed to be like the classics (despite SoA saying that they wanted to give players that "unrivalled classic Sonic feel" in their Sonic 4: Episode 1 delayement announcement).

In this title, we have not done a straight port of the gameplay, but rather updated it with actions which could not be done in the previous titles, like ceiling-running.
Edited by Ananze

I found an earlier post of mine:

People vastly overestimate what how much Dimps developed Sonic Unwiished. Pretty much all they did was design the daytime levels and did some programming related to them. The night stages (all level design, all programming, etc.) were done solely by Sonic Team. The general design of the game (the included levels, the hub stages, etc.) were all done by Sonic Team.

The only thing Dimps did was program and design the daytime levels. They aren't at fault for the rest of the game.

He stated that the physics were deliberatly not supposed to be like the classics (despite SoA saying that they wanted to give players that "unrivalled classic Sonic feel" in their Sonic 4: Episode 1 delayement announcement).

That's called damage control, and trying to find some way to cover your fuck ups.

And who tells him what to do? Hint: It was Iizuka.

The buck stops with the person who was in charge, and the person in charge running around going "everything is totally okay gaiz!" when it was clear (arguably from the very beginning) that it wasn't doesn't do him any favors.

Well, to be frank, Iizuka had a rat's ass to do with Sonic 4. He's just a producer, nothing more. Yes, Iizuka was supposed to be checking on the programming, creative department and all that, but that's all he does with the visual and technical aspects of the game. He doesn't give direct orders to the Programmers, because as Scar said, Iizuka is a Producer, and not a Lead Programmer. And Iizuka is also involved in many other administrative tasks such as finance, scheduling, trying to deal with beta testing, marketing, etc. Not to mention other projects in other video games. So really, he couldn't pay much attention to Sonic 4's progress. Hence, the reason why Lead Programmers exist. Don't blame it all on Iizuka for the flop of Sonic 4; blame it on the lazy-ass Lead Programmer. Just sayin'. :P

I don't hate dimps per se, but I do feel they need to get better when it comes to making games. I mean yeah the Adv. games weren't exactly perfect, but they're still above Rush and Rush Adventure in terms of design. I don't know what made them go down, but they need to get back up, after Unwiished, and Sonic 4 my faith in them is waning.

I think the problem was that speed became a priority at the expense of all the other aspects that brought a balance such as platforming and the more open level design that offered some exploration in favor of a rollercoaster-like experience, that despite being fun at first, gets old pretty quick.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see a reason why people should hate Dimps. They weren't responsible for Sonic 06.

But I sure detest BioWare. This lame excuse for a game they made is even worse than 06.

*tranquil fury*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAW HEAWL NO your telling me you DETEST this?

star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-7.jpg

home_header_noflash_1000x467.jpg

I know your talking directly about the sonic RPG they made but seriously...worse then 06? LOLNO

as for Dimps I really dont understand all their hate....With the exception of generations 3ds and maybe S4, Dimps made great handheld sonic games! would sonic team have done any better or worse if they made the handhelds?

Sonic 4 should have been developed by Sonic team though...After seeing Generations 3ds and seeing sonic teams classic sonic physics I felt like we where cheated...Also Generations 3ds might as well be the Sonic genesis GBA of the 20th anniversary... If that isn't a cash In I don't know what is...

Dimp's can still make good sonic games but they need to step their game up a bit.

Actually, I'd certainly say Sonic Chronicles is the worst Sonic game in existence that I've played. And I'm an RPG fan who was excited by the concept of a Sonic RPG, mind you.

Perhaps I should make a "Bitching at Bioware" topic, heh.

Edit: To be fair, I haven't played Free Riders, which might be even worse. But hell, I don't even want to IMAGINE a worse game than Chronicles.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Actually, I'd certainly say Sonic Chronicles is the worst Sonic game in existence that I've played. And I'm an RPG fan who was excited by the concept of a Sonic RPG, mind you.

Edit: To be fair, I haven't played Free Riders, which might be even worse. But hell, I don't even want to IMAGINE a worse game than Chronicles.

$(KGrHqMOKi8E1KOv3f()BNeVtgQ(Ug~~_3.JPG

I await this bitching at bioware topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2nthjjd.jpg

Superman 64 is also pretty bad as well.

Edited by Ananze

People vastly overestimate what how much Dimps developed Sonic Unwiished. Pretty much all they did was design the daytime levels and did some programming related to them. The night stages (all level design, all programming, etc.) were done solely by Sonic Team. The general design of the game (the included levels, the hub stages, etc.) were all done by Sonic Team.

The only thing Dimps did was program and design the daytime levels. They aren't at fault for the rest of the game.

I already knew that, which is why I mentioned that the fact that Unwiished is 85% Werehog proves that Dimps hardly did anything in this game, and the few things they did were absolute shit.

He said that simply because he gets $$$ for it. It's his job. And I'm sure we all know by now that the "ceiling-running thing" is complete bullshit, many people have gone over it already.

Edited by Chaos Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1