Awoo.

Dumping on Dimps

Legendary Emerald

I've let this topic sit for long enough now. The results followed my original hypothesis: As a fanbase, we've digressed back to the ages of "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks".

Bullcrap. You're confusing ssmb with the Sonic Retro people. We here actually enjoy non Genesis Sonic Games. I love Sonic Colors,i like half of Unleashed HD and i still kinda like Sonic Heroes as a guilty pleasure.

The reason we hate Dimps is because their games are lazily designed with poor physics. If you like running in Straight lines in UnWiished & spamming homing attacks in Sonic 4 fine that just means you're satisfied easily,which isn't bad or your fault,it's just who you are,but many of us here demand more for our money,because Sonic Advance 1 proved that Dimps can make a great Sonic Game.If they can make a game that lives up to the Genesis classics why should we be satisfied with less than that? I don't think it's at all unreasonable for us to expect Dimps to do something that they've done before.

They had a great thing going with Advance 1,so why couldn't they expand upon it without dumbing down the physics and the level design?

My point is basically this: Dimps doesn't put effort in their Sonic Games anymore,well if they're not gonna try to make the best game they can then why the hell should we try to appreciate the games despite the obvious lack of effort?

That's my opinion and i'm sticking to it. B)

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 4

As a fanbase, we've digressed back to the ages of "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks". With now even fewer games being the exception.

• Thumbs Up 7

I know right? Now we'll have to call it "5 straight lines- zone." D:

• Thumbs Up 3

glem3 and DarkSonic are known for liking modern Sonic games, it's not like everyone is a purist there.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Technically, since curved lines are made up of a bazillion straight line segments, every zone in Sonic's history could be referred to as # straight-line zone.

*mind blown*

At least they have things to do in them. :oooo *le gasp*

+1's anyway because that was sort of a good burn.

Edited by Inferno

My thoughts:

Just because Sonic 4 wasn't as good as what people hoped it would be doesn't mean that they should bash the entire company. Besides, I think Dimps is a great company. The Advance series was great, Sonic Rush Adventure is one of my favorite Sonic games (AND one of my favorite DS games), and Sonic Colors DS was superb, but too easy (except for some of the challenges). Plus, if it weren't for Sonic Colors DS, I wouldn't have gotten back into the Sonic franchise, so I thank Dimps for helping me get back into the franchise. (NOTE: I have not played the Wii version, in case anyone is wondering.)

I also sort of enjoyed Sonic 4, but I don't think it was the true sequel to the Genesis Sonic games though, and I think they could have done a lot better with it. But just because one game didn't meet the fanbase's demands doesn't mean they should bash the entire company.

Just because Sonic 4 wasn't as good as what people hoped it would be doesn't mean that they should bash the entire company.

Yes, that would be silly. However, people bash Dimps Sonic 4 wasn't as good as it should have been and their other Sonic titles have gotten progressively worse, to the point now of being utter shite. That's why Dimps gets bashed.

I don't see a reason why people should hate Dimps. They weren't responsible for Sonic 06.

But I sure detest BioWare. This lame excuse for a game they made is even worse than 06.

*tranquil fury*

Yes, that would be silly. However, people bash Dimps Sonic 4 wasn't as good as it should have been and their other Sonic titles have gotten progressively worse, to the point now of being utter shite. That's why Dimps gets bashed.

I disagree. Sonic Colors DS was not shit.

I disagree. Sonic Colors DS was not shit.

Your opinion, exactly as my post was my opinion. The general consensus these days is that people are really starting to dislike or at least see the problems that are ever-present in Dimps games.

I've let this topic sit for long enough now. The results followed my original hypothesis: As a fanbase, we've digressed back to the ages of "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks". With now even fewer games being the exception.

Um no. First of all, I became a Sonic fan in 2003, and my first Sonic game was SADX, so technically I'm a "modern fan". Yet for some reason my favorite video game of all time just happens to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's not that "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks", I view it more like, "if it sucks, IT SUCKS". The reason why people tend to like the Genesis titles more is simply because they're just flat out better games.

And you know what? I love Sonic Heroes. I love Sonic Colors. I love Sonic Advance 1. I think those three titles are equal to the classics in terms of greatness (and I'm sure many of you will disagree with me about Heroes, but IDGAF, Sonic Heroes is the sex) None of those are Genesis titles.

Care to explain why?

I found an earlier post of mine:

The main reasons why I dislike it so much is the fact that the Wii version is limited by the PS2's capabilities, and Sonic Colors is proof of this. The Wii version should have been A LOT closer to the HD version, and the overall presentation just comes off as a slapdash job that Dimps did for a quick buck. And some other reasons:

*Where the fuck is Mazuri and Empire City? Please don't say, "Oh, there wasn't enough space", because that is complete BULLSHIT.

*What the fuck is Dimps even doing in this game? And why was Sonic Team designing the night stages? Why was the shitty company designing the stages everyone wanted to play, and the good company designing the stages no one wants? Shouldn't have it been the other way around?

*It's 85% night stages. And I'm not exaggerating at all. Proves even further that Dimps are just a bunch of lazy asses, at least Sonic Team put a decent amount of effort in this.

*The graphics are SHIIIIIIIT. Why is everything so dark and muddy? Why is everything so empty? I saw what Apotos looks like on 360/PS3, and everything is bright and colorful. And please don't say something like, "the graphics are dark and muddy because the Wii can't have colorful graphics" because STARLIGHT CARNIVAL BITCH. This is a Wii game, and it looks like a PS2 game - oh wait.

*Why the fuck did they give us hub PICTURES. That's what best defines what I meant by "slapdash job". Again, that makes no sense, the only explanation is: laziness.

To be honest, I viewed the Holoska cave thing as an excuse so Dimps didn't have to model all those icebergs. And for some stupid reason they made the Wii and PS2 versions the same despite the Wii being a far more powerful console.

Overall, it all boils down to laziness. Please don't say something like, "Well then why didn't you buy it on 360/PS3", because not everybody has a 360/PS3. If they're going to bother releasing a Wii version, do it right :/. And Dimps can GTFO.

• Thumbs Up 3

A question I've often wondered is how much involvement Sega/Sonic Team has in Dimps' efforts. There's no telling how many things people hate about Dimps were brought about at the request of the "higher ups", so to speak. Take the bad physics in Sonic 4. Wasn't it Iizuka's decision to tweak them? If that was the case, you can hardly blame Dimps for that.

As for me, I've never had much of a problem with Dimps, outside of the horribly lazy Sonic Unleashed. I feel a lot of their hate is retroactive due to the crapstorm people raised over Sonic 4.

A question I've often wondered is how much involvement Sega/Sonic Team has in Dimps' efforts. There's no telling how many things people hate about Dimps were brought about at the request of the "higher ups", so to speak. Take the bad physics in Sonic 4. Wasn't it Iizuka's decision to tweak them? If that was the case, you can hardly blame Dimps for that.

The reason S4 has bad is physics is because it's literally the Rush engine with increased friction to make slower gameplay. That's nobody but Dimps' doing, and it's horribly lazy.

As for me, I've never had much of a problem with Dimps, outside of the horribly lazy Sonic Unleashed. I feel a lot of their hate is retroactive due to the crapstorm people raised over Sonic 4.

Iizuka isn't a programmer. Its nowhere near his fault.

Iizuka isn't a programmer. Its nowhere near his fault.

Iizuka was the producer of the game, so he got to call the shots on how the game was made.

I know I'm going off-topic but I don't want to create a new thread for it.

What do you guys prefer and why: Sonic Rush or Sonic Rush Adventure? I know the reviews and sales are in Sonic Rush's favour but I want to know which one you prefer.

I'm thinking about SRA since I played SR but lost the cartridge.

Um no. First of all, I became a Sonic fan in 2003, and my first Sonic game was SADX, so technically I'm a "modern fan". Yet for some reason my favorite video game of all time just happens to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's not that "if it isn't Genesis, it sucks", I view it more like, "if it sucks, IT SUCKS". The reason why people tend to like the Genesis titles more is simply because they're just flat out better games.

And you know what? I love Sonic Heroes. I love Sonic Colors. I love Sonic Advance 1. I think those three titles are equal to the classics in terms of greatness (and I'm sure many of you will disagree with me about Heroes, but IDGAF, Sonic Heroes is the sex) None of those are Genesis titles.

I found an earlier post of mine:

Edited by thedarkknight

Unwiished is the definition of a cash-in.

Edited by Dr Jackstraw
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't hate dimps per se, but I do feel they need to get better when it comes to making games. I mean yeah the Adv. games weren't exactly perfect, but they're still above Rush and Rush Adventure in terms of design. I don't know what made them go down, but they need to get back up, after Unwiished, and Sonic 4 my faith in them is waning.

No. Iizuka was simply the one who was telling the programmers what to do.

Edited by Scar

This guy:

Lead Programmer: Katsuya Kuramoto

Was telling these guys:

Programmers: Koji Okugawa, Chinami Ishizaki, Kouhei Hanaoka, Satoshi Akitomi, Kouji Hokazono, Keisuke Tanaka, Kazuki Yoshida, Takashi Yamatani and Kosuke Yurita

What to do.

And who tells him what to do? Hint: It was Iizuka.

The buck stops with the person who was in charge, and the person in charge running around going "everything is totally okay gaiz!" when it was clear (arguably from the very beginning) that it wasn't doesn't do him any favors.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see a reason why people should hate Dimps. They weren't responsible for Sonic 06.

But I sure detest BioWare. This lame excuse for a game they made is even worse than 06.

*tranquil fury*

Probably has something to do with the fact that Sonic Team has noticibly improved with each outing since Sonic 06 whereas Dimps has stagnated/regressed in quality somewhere around UnWiished or past the Advance series in general.