Awoo.

Do you like the way the Sonic games are currently going?

thedarkknight

I still love Sonic but I don't.

The games are becoming more lighter and childish over the time. It started pre-Sonic 06, when Unleashed got rid of the dark tone, and the dark tone got completely destroyed in Sonic Colours. I loved Sonic when the story was dark and more mature, e.g. SA2, StH and Sonic 06. It interested me because I felt like I was in the game. Unfortunately, 2 out of them were badly received, I'm guessing this is the reason why ST/ SEGA decided to lighten the stories in future Sonic games.

I just wish ST/SEGA decided to darken the stories after SG.

What about you?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I would like it if Sega started taking the games stories a bit more seriously (but certainly not as laughably serious as in Sonic 06), but other than that, im fine with the games current style and content.

Oh wait, some more electric guitars would sit nicely too.

Nah I like the way the series is going. I'm really happy the goofy 90's characterization of sonic is back.

You have an issue with where the games are going and never touch on the important factors...

Okay then, TS... okay then...

Using 2D platforming as the crutch of the new "3D" games is one of my biggest gripes; along with not using many clever gimmicks (Wisps were a mixed bag, making the ring dash a powerup instead of a free automation spam ability was a good idea, but took the spindash away as well which was a big no no.) Furthermore, where is the equivalent of the U traps in the classics, that you had to use the physics to your benefit to get up and out... now there there's a "max speed + invincibility" button... just ugh...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Don't see why I wouldn't. Sega's found a good niche for him in 3D platforming (reflex-based over momentum-based) while still trying to bring back classic physics for their 2D platforming.

I personally hate the tunnel platforming system. It doesn't feel 3D. It feels like it's 2D and you have to dodge/destroy things coming at you from the background. Generations seems kind of nice as in the City Escape level, there's wide open areas that you can actually RUN IN A CIRCLE, or better yet, TURN AROUND AND GO BACK unlike other recent games (namely the storybook ones) where in order to go back you have to go back in a slow backpedaling fashion to achieve this.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest

My two biggest problems are story and character-related. Write stories that are solid and relevant the entire way through and give other characters their narrative purpose and playable status back. Also, we need to stave off of the nostalgia crutch. If nothing else, it's counter-intuitive considering the main protagonist of your series is known for not looking back all that much. Do these things and I will be peachy keen as they continue mucking around with Unleashed style gameplay. I'm pretty confident in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear the complaints that Sonic Colors used to many 2D sections alot, but i personally dont understand what people have against 2D. I mean, does there really have to be 3D Sonic games? If Sega would keep releasing good 2D Sonic games, do they really have to release 3D games as well? Does 3D have some sort of value in itself? Does 3D Sonic gameplay have the potential to be more fun than 2D Sonic gameplay could ever be or something?

I like the current train we're riding, I mean Sonic is of course a children's franchise and taking the games too serious will really knock the series off its track

Story wise I always loved Adventure 2 but I'm fine with juat about every Sonic story to date (Babylons = aliens. Thats probably my only story gripe ever.) The only thing I'd change in Sonic games now would be more playable characyers.

Does 3D Sonic gameplay have the potential to be more fun than 2D Sonic gameplay could ever be or something?

For Sonic, potentially, yes.

I hear the complaints that Sonic Colors used to many 2D sections alot, but i personally dont understand what people have against 2D. I mean, does there really have to be 3D Sonic games? If Sega would keep releasing good 2D Sonic games, do they really have to release 3D games as well? Does 3D have some sort of value in itself? Does 3D Sonic gameplay have the potential to be more fun than 2D Sonic gameplay could ever be or something?

Are you implying the 3D perspective has absolutely nothing of value to add to the Sonic series whatsoever?

Story wise not really, too childish for me and corny jokes kinda ruin it.

Gameplay wise I would also say no because sonic seems to control like a car and there are too many invisible walls.

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of gameplay? Yes, I'm content at least. I'd like to see more, but this isn't the time to take risks.

In terms of plot? No. I'll give it credit in quality, but I'd like the stories and characterization to be solid, strong, and dynamic. I'd like for other characters to get involved as well.

I hear the complaints that Sonic Colors used to many 2D sections alot, but i personally dont understand what people have against 2D.

It's not anything against 2D, they have a problem with being told one thing but getting something else.

I mean, does there really have to be 3D Sonic games? If Sega would keep releasing good 2D Sonic games, do they really have to release 3D games as well?

Well does there really have to be Sonic games in general? Answering this question will help you answer your own question.

Does 3D have some sort of value in itself?

Does 3D Sonic gameplay have the potential to be more fun than 2D Sonic gameplay could ever be or something?

Um...Yes? Why the hell do you think people keep demanding them to make a good one?

Well I like the current gameplay we have, but I think it can be improved on. We just need some more depth to it. I don't agree with the usual statment of "IT'S JUST BOOOOOOSING!!!!111" but I do think some more challenge is in order. How they provide it could be in many ways, but I know ST could pull it off.

I've got mixed feelings. As far as story, art style, etc etc goes, things are pretty solid. I've got some issues with Colors' overuse of jokes (some of them quite bad) at the expense of the actual story, and I'm really hoping Generations follows Unleashed more than Colors in that sense, but otherwise it's better than it's been in a long time...maybe since the series went 3D.

Gameplay...the Unleashed style stuff isn't outright bad...but I do think it's going to dead end real soon. It's just too reliant on boosting and pseudo-QTE gameplay to last. I'm still hoping they'll figure out how the Genesis games worked and incorporate that into 3D Sonic, but given they can't even accurately replicate the Genesis games when they're trying to, I'm not holding my breath...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes and no. In terms of gameplay, I'm glad they've gotten rid of genre roulette for what seems to be for good, and I'm glad that they are finally trying to improve Sonic's gameplay instead of making it worst. I watched City Escape and I could see how this formula really is improving to become something absolutely awesome. I obviously need to see more before I make any assumptions, but in terms of gameplay, I can say it seems to be heading on the right track.

In terms of the more light tone and the simpler stories, I kind of have to say while I'm not absolutely angry with it and it can have its moments, I am a little disappointed. I remember thinking, "Wow, this is awesome," as a little kid playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Sonic felt insanely more cool then Mario, which I never bothered with back then and probably will continue to do so. This is an unfortunate situation for Sega, because we all grew up with a Sonic that had a different tone and atmosphere. So fans that grew up with classic Sonic are rejoicing over this current setting while fans that grew up with the Adventure games are left a bit disappointed. Either way, I know a side of the fanbase is going to get disappointed so I just try to focus on the gameplay from now on, which is what we all really play Sonic for at the end of the day.

Edited by RidersDX
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the last few years the Sonic games have dropped in quality but with the release of Sonic 4, Sonic colours and upcoming Sonic Gen game I think the games are starting to go in the direction they should have gone when they released Sonic Adventure. I think it's difficult for Sonic Team to create a game which can please both the old and new fans; the old wanting the classic 2D Sonic and the newer fans wanting the 3D levels, along with character development and detailed storyline (most have which have been less than good).

So with the release of the newer games now I have to say that I'm really pleased with the way the games are going, combining the 2D and 3D together. And personally the additional characters and the storylines are what's needed in a gaming franchise as big as Sonic to add excitment and drama. The gameplay I would say and dramatically improved. I think they could mature some of the storylines slightly and still have it available for all audiences such as Sonic 2 Battle.

Blackbell

I like the recent games. They're pretty fun. I had more fun playing Unleashed then I did playing SA2 (BLASPHEMY).

Only thing I would change, is making the boost a powerup, the slide a roll, and adding le Spindash. That's about it. Engine is night on perfect. Physics are spot on, as are controls. Level design is getting there.

Storywise, Unleashed and BK for the overall plot, and Colours for the dialogue and characterisation. That's a good place to start.

I was slightly irked with Colours, in terms of gameplay, but as it is looking with Generations, yep.

Edited by CobaltBlue

My complaint is that Artstyle and Music are still the best things in the games. In the Classics the gameplay was in technicality equally impressive to how it looks and sounds.

As far as gameplay goes, yes I love it. Sonic Colors was a great surprise for me because they finally got rid of this genre roulette, (became more of aRUSSIAN roullette after a while) and made a gimmick that doesn't make the flow of the game grind to a screeching monotonus halt every other level. Generations is proving to bring back more 3D sections to the game too. If they can bring back characters playable into big titles like they did into the advance games then more power to Sega. If more playable characters though, means even more genre roulettes then here's to another 5-10 years of Sonic-only.

Storylinewise I also love it. I'm sorry, but I honestly can't take a story about talking animals involved in gov't conspiracies of murder, terrorist threats, and apocalypses seriously. At least not in the way the handled it in those games. Colors is about the Holocaust of Wisps but the way these writers handled it just felt right to me, for once.

You could say i'm quite content with the way it's going nowadays. 2010 was a grand year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Absolutely. Colors and the Generations demo are easily the most fun I've had with a main console Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. In terms of storyline and tone, I'd prefer something along the lines of Unleashed for the most part, but Colors' light, simple storyline was refreshing and I wouldn't mind it if they made a few more like that. However, I think they should use the HTF/MadWorld writers for all of the games from now on. Aside from a few corny jokes, Colors' script and characterization was fantastic, (HATERS GONNA HATE) and it was aided by some great voice acting courtesy of Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins.

I thought I did with Colours, in terms of gameplay, but as it is looking with Generations, nope.

Weren't you always raving about Unleashed style of play in the Sega Forums? Changed your mind?