Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

Almost two years later, and I'm still the same.

Even when 06 came along and made me worried if there wouldn't be any more games after that (yes, I would have only been a Sonic fan for three years at that point, but I get attached to characters and worlds very easily), I still soldiered on, and Rush Adventure was coming out at the time, so it was all okay. Now? I'm even more of a Sonic fan than ever before, no matter how troublesome the fanbase can be.

Now, don't get the wrong idea... I know this is going to sound really terrible and mean, and I'm sorry for that, but... I can understand those who just casually don't feel like they like a series anymore, that's fair enough, since you shouldn't force yourself to continue liking or disliking something. But when it comes to those who act slightly more... vocal about it, and are somewhat quick to leave a series... I can't find myself sympathising with those types. I know these are only games/shows/etc and not like actual human beings or anything, but it gives off the sense of them using something and then throwing it away when it's ran out of use or no longer pleases them, and that... makes me a little annoyed I guess. (This isn't just for Sonic by the way, it goes for anything.)

Bah, that sounded stupid, didn't it. I apologise.

Oh boy, this topic.

Well for me, I started losing interest after finishing Shadow the Hedgehog, a game in which I was already very skeptical on before playing (and I didn't read a single review beforehand but I knew about the voice changes), While I was satisfied with the game's conclusion, as I was very disappointed with the gameplay and I questioned myself "Do I really want to keep following this series?".  I was really questioning Sega's decision-making and I was also starting High School so I was getting on in years where more important things than my Sonic fandom started occurring.

Around March of 2006, I started watching some of stream vids on the next major title, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG, for the Xbox 360. I was pretty interested in what I saw but as the months went on I caught a few glimpses of the game's cutscenes, gameplay, Dr. Eggman's redesign (>.<), and let's just say a few eyebrows were raised.  Some more months went by and the game finally came out in November, I went to Gamespot (back when GS was my go-to site for gaming) and saw the 4.4 score I was like "Naw, naw, that can't be right! I must have clicked on the wrong thing. I went back and tried again and after seeing the 4.4 score again, I was staring at the screen with this expression: O_O

I couldn't believe it, the game actually scored LOWER than Shadow the Hedgehog (which, at the time, I was pretty sure was going to be the lowest Sonic ever got). I didn't even read the review! I was just in utter shock at what I was looking at! I didn't find out about the game's content until I saw X-Play's (RIP) review of it.  After witnessing that, I was like "Okay, I'm done. I can't follow this anymore."

Oh sure, I kept an eye on the franchise every now and then but I could never find a reason to come back. (And no DS or PSP means I couldn't  play the Rush or RIvals games).

It wasn't until 2010, where I got interest in the series again. I heard Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing was good (I never got it though) and then there was the announcement for Sonic 4, which I did get, (game came out on my birthday no less).  After playing that and enjoying it and its positive critical reception (and facepalming at fans' receptions[good ole sonic fanbase]) I was finally able to return. Despite the ups and downs and all arounds since, I can say I'm glad I came back.

My apologies for the long post.  That was a lot for my first one on this site :P

.... how would you get in Sonic in the first place? Did you guys manage to find a convincing chilidog costume?

I used to go on a cycle between Mario and Sonic when I was younger, every now and then obsessing over another game. (I had a few Pac-Man phases, believe it or not.)

Though I've been in a Sonic binge since around 2010, I've recently started looking into other Sega games and consoles.

My advice to you is fuck the haters. It's not anyone else's business what you like and don't like; they're in no place to judge you. Somehow, I haven't been bullied more than twice briefly throughout my whole educational career despite having this mindset tongue.png

Hear, hear. Ever since I got into high school I didn't change my habits at all; my merchandise just kept growing and my use of Sonic clothing remained constant. I refuse to change for anyone. Mother's been hinting at how I need to get out of Sonic (even implying that only uneducated people like Sonic at one point), but she's not changing me either.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll always love this franchise, although the news drought has been having an effect on my attention towards it lately.

Edited by Johnny Boy

Hear, hear. Ever since I got into high school I didn't change my habits at all; my merchandise just kept growing and my use of Sonic clothing remained constant. I refuse to change for anyone. Mother's been hinting at how I need to get out of Sonic (even implying that only uneducated people like Sonic at one point), but she's not changing me either.

Only uneducated people like Sonic?!

*chucks PhD thesis in the bin*

Anyways; my experience of Sonic fandom in school was that people would bully me for it; but I was kinda loud and proud about it. It must have been grating. These days I don't talk about Sonic stuff to anyone IRL - it's all contained online! :D Well, my FB photo is a massive Eggman flag but that's it... :B

Edited by MamboCat

Only uneducated people like Sonic?!

*chucks PhD thesis in the bin*

Well, she said that I should start looking into girls (joke's on her), and that I'd need to tone down my Sonic fandom for that. I replied that Sonic seemed more popular with girls than guys. She said, "Not the ones who go to school."

Then again she's convinced every other country is out to get the United States and that her own family is planning to kill her so she probably fried a few brain cells while she lived in sunshine-basking California back in the day.

Anyways; my experience of Sonic fandom in school was that people would bully me for it; but I was kinda loud and proud about it. It must have been grating. These days I don't talk about Sonic stuff to anyone IRL - it's all contained online! biggrin.png Well, my FB photo is a massive Eggman flag but that's it... :B

Oh it makes sense to separate one's real life and online life. There are a ton of norms in real life and if you don't follow them, god help you. So much for individuality...

Fortunately the internet gets rid of that problem!

I, meanwhile, just ceased to give a care at what people had to say or think about me in real life. Unless they're a potential boss I couldn't care less what they think. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard for me to answer.

I've never gotten out of the franchise completely and I'm not sure if I would say I started losing interest at some point.

I've owned all of the 3 Classic titles. After around 1995/1996, I mostly shifted towards the Playstation and mainly the Nintendo 64. It wasn't until the Nintendo Gamecube in 2002 where I got the opportunity to play Sonic again, with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. So, with this situation, it's not that I lost interest in the franchise, it's more of me lacking the consoles(didn't have a Saturn or Dreamcast) to play a Sonic game. I was always interested during this 6 year gap.

Around 2005, after playing Shadow the Hedghog, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, a year later, I was quite disappointed in the direction this series was headed, but I never decided to abandon the series. I was mainly disappointed in the majority of the titles until Sonic Colors in 2010, and now I'm happy with the state the series is in.

Hopefully they'll go in a new direction with Sonic's gamestyle but that's for another topic. ;D

Edited by canderson

I've never really gotten "out of Sonic," but I've definitely gone through points in time where I'm more or less into the franchise than others. Lately I haven't been playing much Sonic sans the occasional round of Transformed, but it's one of my fav game franchises, it'll always have a spot in my heart. Sooner or later I'll get that craving for hedgehog again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not really into the Sonic franchise at all right now. Only because it's not really going anywhere. Generations came out 2 years ago. Since then we've gotten iOs games, racing games, and other crappy spin-off titles. 

Once Sonic picks up his speed-shoes again and starts grabbing at some gold rings in a new, proper, adventure and keeps a good streak I'll be more than happy to release my inner fan-boy again.

Until then? The Elder Scrolls has my attention. cool.png

To be honest, I'm kind of out of Sonic right now. I mean, I still love Sonic, but I just haven't been that interested lately. I bought SAART, and I've literally only played it twice. I do like Sonic Dash though. I guess it's because it's been so long since there was a main Sonic game though.

I never really got out of Sonic,although I was disappointed when I played Shadow,06,Riders,Secret Rings,Unleashed,And Black Knight. I still like the series even after all the shit it's been through.

I first got into Sonic back in 2003, when my friend asked me if I ever heard of "Sonic the Hedgehog" before, I told him I didn't know who Sonic was, but I think I knew who Tails was.

He then let me borrow the first Sonic Game I ever played, Sonic Heroes, it was then on I fell in love with the series. I went from really being into Tails, to loving Shadow. He told me that Shadow has a bigger part in Sonic Adventure 2, so I played it. 

I actually cried when Shadow "died" in the end of Sonic Adventure 2. 

Then, I started to love Sonic.

A few years had then passed, it was 2006 then. I had heard legends of a Sonic Game that would change everything about Sonic.

Sonic '06. 

I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas that year, along with Sonic '06 to go with it, I looked forward to that game since I had heard about it.

(I guess this is why I can't see Sonic '06 being a bad game, because I looked so forward to it so much when I was just a kid, I wouldn't allow anything wrong with the game to keep me from loving it.)

A few more years of Sonic obsession had passed, I literally taught myself how to draw Sonic, not by looking at tutorials on the compter to figure things out, but all by myself. I got pretty good at it.

Around 2010, it came to a time when I started to fade away from the Sonic Universe, I guess that's because it takes a while for a new game to come out ^^;

I stopped liking it for a while, then around mid 2012 came in, I got back into Sonic.

Here I am! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

When my parents sold my SEGA Genesis, I had to let go of Sonic for a while, and it got to the point where I forgot all about him thanks to the Pokemon explosion catching me. Sonic Jam happened, Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters happened, and Sonic Adventure happened, and never knew about them.

Then on my 12th birthday, when I had shown great interest in the Gamecube and played Luigi's Mansion a lot beforehand, I was presented with the bombshell and nostalgia-bringer that was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. And I've kept with the series since that day.

I first got into Sonic back in 2003, when my friend asked me if I ever heard of "Sonic the Hedgehog" before, I told him I didn't know who Sonic was, but I think I knew who Tails was.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard! I can't even imagine for a minute that tails is more known than Sonic is!

He then let me borrow the first Sonic Game I ever played, Sonic Heroes, it was then on I fell in love with the series. I went from really being into Tails, to loving Shadow. He told me that Shadow has a bigger part in Sonic Adventure 2, so I played it. 

I actually cried when Shadow "died" in the end of Sonic Adventure 2.

I don't know if the authors just changed their mind, but he doesn't die in Shadow the Hedgehog.

In Sonic X he only loses his memory once more... Which made me lose some interest in it for a while.

Because he looked like a toy always being used by Eggman... While it was different in his awesome game.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Well for me, I never 'got out of Sonic' like it were, I might have turned to other games for a change, but I can never say that I hated a game or lost interest because of one, for Sonic 3D Blast it was almost the most annoying, boring Sonic game I ever played, but it still has some aspects that might make me suddenly decide to beat it one day.

Well.... Eh... Kinda yes, kinda no. It's weird, usually I go through "obsessions."  Keep in mind, I use the term "obsession" loosely.

When I'm in the mood for something that I enjoy. I'll play or watch a bunch of things that have to do with my "obsession" and maybe participate in the fandom a bit. Then after a while when my mood dies down, I'll move on to something else and I'll probably get back to that "obsession" if I'm in the mood for it.

In the case of sonic, I've been in a long break from the series even though I'll still play the games every now and then (In fact, I just recently bought Sonic Mega Collection) I'll probably end up getting back into the Sonic mood once the next big game is announced.

I don't think I ever lost interest in Sonic. My first game console was a SEGA Genesis which was given to me by my (now deceased, car wreck :() brother, and my first game was Sonic III & Knuckles. I received it when I was about six or seven, and I am just obsessed with Sonic games now as I was then. I collect and play any Sonic game I can, even the dreaded Sonic '06. I don't think I'll ever lose interest. I collect Sonic Shirts and Merch as well.

• 1 month later...

You could say that as a fan, in the late 1990/early 2000 i was never into Sonic playing the first game on a clone megadrive that much (i had a :-) msx, PSX, and a computer to play games with) I did not care so much for being a big fan of the games i played till i started rediscovering the games i played in the past, starting with Crash, then sonic and other megadrive, pc and psx games. Which was since 2007, and i adored the cutscenes of Sonic 06 (i did not know what the game exactly looked like back then) I started going back with Sonic Unleashed, but never got the game till recently, and the first game to get after rediscovering was..... GEMS collection on PC Then Shadow the hedgehog, and so on.. Sonic Generatioins is what really actually got me back into liking the series.

I've never gotten out of Sonic, but I have had phases when I haven't been very interested in the franchise.

It was an average summer day, and I was sitting in my bedroom with my eyes glued to the flashing images of the television screen. I was is the middle of an intense battle with the Egg Albatross from Sonic Heroes, when all of a sudden my cousin came bursting through the door. His entrance startled me. I knew he was coming out to visit, but playing Sonic had caused me to loose track of time.

He had in his hand a Gameboy Advance, which caught my attention.

"What'cha got there?", I asked.

"A Gameboy Advance", he responded.

"I can see that. I meant what game do you have?"

My cousin popped the game cartridge out and tossed it to me. I failed in catching it.

"Smooth", he said. I ignored his sarcasm.

I picked up the cartridge and read the title of the game. Metroid Fusion.

"What the heck is this?", I inquired. I had never seen such a thing, and the only experience I previously had with Metroid was from the small amount of Smash Brothers I played when I got the GameCube. My cousin grabbed the game out of my hands and put it back into the Gameboy.

"It's such a cool game. Want to play?" I had to think a bit about the offer, but I ultimately chose to try the game.

That was the day I realized that Sonic sucks.

Edited by wOrm
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm out of Sonic now.

I was super into it while me and my ex were dating, because she was super into it, but now I'm just "eh" about it.  I've honestly never been like "OH HOLY FUCK SONIC IS SO FUCKING COOL", just because I'm not a fan of how the stories were written up until around Colors, and the series always handled itself so awkwardly I never really chalked it up there as one of my "main" franchises.

I've kind of lost interest in the series lately. The games are still fun, but they just don't live up to my expectations. These days, the only things I really care about are the characters and settings.

Hmm... to be honest, I've never really "got out" of the franchise. I mean, I've wavered a bit during the fallout of Sonic '06 and Unleashed, but for the most part, I've pretty much stuck with the series through even its lowest of low moments.

Edited by Komodin

I think i'm getting pretty big into the series again, just recently having brought or re-brought copies of these games in the last 4 days.

Sonic Spinball (Mega Drive)

Sonic Heroes (Gamecube)
Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360)
Sonic Rivals 1 (PSP)
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing (Wii)

and yes I already owned most of these games in the past but I wanted nicer copies since i'm pretty OCD about my Sonic games condition these days. 

I think going back through Sonic's history and playing through all of his games I can get my hands on keeps me occupied enough while waiting for the next big game.

You know what the real problem is? Sonic is the ONLY game series I find myself playing these days!