Awoo.

Did you ever get out of Sonic?

Crystal Kingfisher

I still bought the games, but i was technically not into the series from 2005 to 2010 because i hated every game released between those. Colors was the first one i found fun since heroes

I was mostly out between the Genesis and the Gamecube, since I/my parents couldn't afford multiple consoles and Nintendo had more to offer me. Not that there was a whole lot to miss out on in that time period.

Aside from that...give it another game or two and we'll see...

From about... 2005 to 2008 I was only posting here to talk about video games and such. I couldn't give two shits about Sonic at the time.

Edit: lulz I already posted in this topic

Edited by Tornado

I've never truly been "out" of Sonic before, but at the moment, there are other games that catch my interest,

From 2004 to 2008.

Luckly for me, I simply forgot about Sonic games for whatever reason. I reckon it was school, didn't play very many games at all during that period so.....Anyway, yeah, I'm glad I wasn't around for the heartbreak.

I typically lose interest between games. I'll finish one, stop caring about the series, and then get really excited and involved when the next one is announced. Then again, that's how I am with most ongoing game franchises.

Between Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed. That just wasn't a good stretch of games by any means. Shadow, Riders, 06... yeah. Though I'm not as much of a fanatic as I used to be.

I'm not saying I don't like Sonic less than before, but I'm actually into more games now than just Sonic. I mean, way back when, when all I would play was Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Heroes, and the Gameboy Advance games. No other series. Nada. But then I was opened to the giant world of other video games. All I'm saying is I spend a little less time playing Sonic games now than I used to. But of course I still love the hell out of the blue guy. smile.png

Edited by Sapphire

Apparently, my father wasn't too fond of my Sonic addiction, and he took matters into his own hands on how to handle it. I was 11 years old at the time and one day, while I was at school, he went into my room and threw out my Sonic stories, my video cassettes with my Sonic SatAM episodes in them, my Sonic illustrations along with my supplies. I came home and saw everything was gone and knew what happened, as that day was a Monday-trash day. I couldn't believe it, and I was devastated. I cried myself to sleep that night as everything I Ioved and adored about and worked hard for with Sonic was gone.

My stories and drawings were in the trash, never to be seen again, along with my video cassettes.

[...]

I had dreams of becoming both an author and an animator, so my dreams were thrown away along with my works.

I just don't even know what to say. Words cannot even. Asshole. angry.png Pfffffffff. What. Oh just What The Fuck.

I could go into a lot more detail about what I think of this but it would not be civil, logical or necessary; I'm sure anyone else reading this feels the same. Then again, maybe not because it's not really anyone else's place to be immensely pissed off by something that has nothing to do with them yet my mind seems to ignore that but maybe other people are different but still it's nothing short of abhorrent, it's so fucking mean and destructive on multiple levels and I have no tolerance whatsoever for such things and... and I've begun to ramble incoherently. Good night. My apologies for any offense. But holy shit, am I sorry to hear that this happened to you. I don't know if I would have ever recovered from something like that.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well, years ago, I would play Sonic 1 on the Sega Smash Pack for the Dreamcast (don't judge me). I only ever got past Green Hill Zone once, but it was this game, Streets of Rage 2, and Virtua Cop 2 I would play the most. At the time, Sonic 1 was the only Sonic game I ever played, except for maybe Sonic Adventure. Fast forward to 5-6 years later; I got my cousin to loan me his copy of Sonic Riders, which I sorta gave up on on the second level, I think, and I got my mom to buy me Sonic 06 (I liked the demo), which I ragequit at (I think) Egg Cerberus. After that, I never really paid attention to Sonic. There were other games I was playing. Then one day, I got my mom to buy me Sonic Mega Collection for the PS2, and I gradually started getting into Sonic again.

EDIT: Actually, I lost interest even before I played Riders and 06. After I stopped playing my Dreamcast, I just didn't bother for anything else Sonic except for those two games, and those were only because I thought, "Hey, these look cool. Why not?"

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

I've mentioned this before, but the first Sonic game I had was Sonic and Knuckles Collection for the PC (which was of course Sonic 3, & Knuckles, 3&K locked-on, and Blue Spheres). I thought it was fun but it wasn't until...2004 that I got Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and then Adventure DX soon after. I remember the announcement of ShTH, at least. Good times. Good times, indeed.

I kind of drifted away from the series around 2008-2009. I remember one day in 2010 I was curious if there was any news of a new Sonic game and ended up hearing about Colors, and I guess that's when I sorta' re-joined the fandom. Doubly so once the game actually came out. But it wasn't until last year that I joined SSMB again despite lurking for a good while, which I guess was my "official" re-entering of the fandom.

I think I am a bit, to be honest. With school and whatnot coming in the way, making it harder to even come here let alone actually play video games. I like the gameplay, to a point, but I wish there could be more done with it. You'll see me liking the Modern Sonic gameplay of Unleashed and Generations, but then again, for all the exhilaration and surrounding visuals the games provide, I want to do more in the game. It seems kind of restricted both inside and outside the levels, and it gets to be kind of boring in some regard. Nevertheless, I still love Unleashed, and like Generations I guess.

However, if there's one thing that has definitely started to bore me 2010 onwards, it is the atmosphere and surroundings. I loved it in Sonic Unleashed, I loved it in some of the other games, but it started to fall apart for me starting with Colors. The gameplay and all is okay in Colors, yet I feel as though there's something missing from the game that's not immersing me as fully into the game as I'd like. Unleashed immersed me into the game, and even SA2 did. Generations was fun and all with the levels from the past, yet, I still got that same feeling I got from Colors; there's something missing. Whatever that "something missing" is, be it a somewhat immersive plot, universe, etc, the lack of it is starting to pull me away from the modern games. Granted, not enough to pull me away from the franchise any time soon, but eh, it's bound to happen some day or another. Thankfully though, SSMB gives me more to talk about than just Sonic. :P

Not really.

I was still very young during the Dark Age from '03-'09, so I was still innocent enough to happily eat the feces (with the exception of Unleashed, which I appreciate more, if anything) SEGA constantly threw at me. In fact, I specifically remember repeatedly insisting to my older cousin that Sonic 06 was actually a good game "AND TEH ONLY THING WRUANG WAS TEH GLITCHEZ AND ELISE". The only Sonic game I can remember disliking even when it came out was Secret Rings. I actually remember having a decent time with Black Knight of all things.

By the time I was able to recognize those games for what they truly were, Sonic Colors was already on the way. And by the time that came out, I had already joined up here. I played it, had a freaking blast, and the rest is history.

I dropped out in early 2007 because of the massive backlash against 06, even though at the time I thought it wasn't THAT bad. I moved on to Pokemon, Gen IV having revived Pokemon to people then, or Mario, Galaxy being one (if not the top) of my favorite games ever. It took Generations to get me back into the series, but I bought it the day after it was released, and it was worth the money to me.

tl;dr 2007-2011

Edited by Beat

I can't say I never really got out of the series thanks to the handheld games but, I left the console games behind following Heroes and didn't return to them until Unleashed came out.

I never got out of Sonic. I simply think I can't. I'm addicted and will forever hopelessly adore Sonic stuff. wink.png

Apparently, my father wasn't too fond of my Sonic addiction, and he took matters into his own hands on how to handle it. I was 11 years old at the time and one day, while I was at school, he went into my room and threw out my Sonic stories, my video cassettes with my Sonic SatAM episodes in them, my Sonic illustrations along with my supplies. I came home and saw everything was gone and knew what happened, as that day was a Monday-trash day. I couldn't believe it, and I was devastated. I cried myself to sleep that night as everything I Ioved and adored about and worked hard for with Sonic was gone.

Your dad's a bastard after what he done to your long earned items. i feel bad about what happened

• Thumbs Up 1

Nevr lost any interest and never really gained much more interest with the series, its always been a constant flow of liking it a lot but not liking it too much.

Hmmmm I don't remember when but I think that when I was starting to lose my interest I discovered the Sega Genesis Sonic hacks and I noticed that the Sonic community is pretty active, making a lot of fan-games and fan-works. If this community continues this way I think that I never will lose my interest in the blue hedgehog.

I lost interest through the middle of the naughties thanks to Sonic Heroes which put me right off Sonic. I still bought Sonic 06 for nostalgia reasons, wish I hadn't.

Whilst I am not the greatest fan of the current boost gameplay, I have actually got into Sonic games a lot more of late, as I finally had a chance to play the dreamcast games that I had not played before. Playing SA1 & SA2 has been the highlight. I have enjoyed playing them more than Sonic 4.

Edited by Robin John Blake

In terms of the games, yeah sure there was a massive gap, between early to mid high school and University I guess. I didn't really play anything between 3D/Flickie's Island and SA2. Now I am kinda sorta backtracking through the games.

I guess since the early 2000s when I got into STCO I was sort of half interested in the franchise, but not to the same degree as when I was a kid.

Edited by MamboCat

I too lost interest in Sonic for a large margin of time due to an unsupportive father and school bullies who trashed my art work and projects when they could get the chance, because I wasn't into the norm that kids my age were all raving about at the time, i grew up through high school as a depressed child and the closing years to my school life were spent in isolation, but I finally mustered courage to enter college in pursue of my art talent as my teachers and form tutor requested me to, then one time during a long lecture and debrief about one of our college projects, I doodled Sonic in the back of my notebook and before I knew it I had half the class AND the tutor all looking over my shoulder in disbelief, I immediately shot back into my love of Sonic and we spent the rest of the day reminiscing of our experiences with Sonic, including my teacher, it was glorious.

After that day I haven't really stopped supporting him or his games, even the bad ones and I ignored my father, until he came to the conclusion that I had a talent for art, after turning up at my final art showcase and was blown away by my work, I think then was when he realized how much he misjudged my simple adoration for the Blue Hedgehog, but he probably doesn't even remember that it was him who introduced me to the Blue Blur, it's quite depressingly ironic... 

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't really tend to "get out of" Sonic, I tend to play it a lot, then leave it and play different stuff, then come back to it, especially when a new game's out. It's not as bad as like Pokemon, where I seem to play the games when they come out, then barely play them until the next one comes out.

I haven't played a Sonic game for a couple of months now, I normally put one in for a little bit at least every few weeks.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3