Awoo.

Dexter's Laboratory

T-Min

Dexter's Laboratory (commonly abbreviated as Dexter's Lab) is an American animated television series created by Genndy Tartakovsky and produced by Cartoon Network Studios (also co-produced with Hanna-Barbera from 1996-2001). The show is about a boy named Dexter who has an enormous secret laboratory filled with an endless collection of his inventions. The series premiered in the United States on Cartoon Network on April 28, 1996 and ended on November 21, 2003. As of 2006, Cartoon Network's sister channel Boomerang now reruns the show.
- From Wikipedia, because I'm lazy.

Anyone else remember this show? I always loved it as a kid, and I still think it's hilarious whenever I can catch it on Boomerang. One of the great CN cartoons of the 90's along with Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo and The Powerpuff Girls (Hey, it was made by Lauren Faust's husband, and she even worked on it, so shut up XP).

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother absolutely loved this show but in my honest opinion, some of it was funny but the voices of the characters were rather annoying to me.

DEE DEE! Stay-uh out-of-a mah rewwm! NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!

Dexter's Lab was a mixed bag.

I have massively fond memories of the series... for the first two seasons. By season three, the animation had lost all its charm since they original style had been scrapped in favour of a really dull, lifeless Flash animation, and Dexter's original voice actor was replaced. In my opinion, the quality of the series plummeted around that point.

So yeah, for me; Dexter had two great series, and two less-than-stellar ones. It's kind of a shame that the first series was shorter than the rest, meaning there are technically more bad episodes than good. It's also a shame that the show took such a dive. Whilst most Cartoon Network shows had a dip in quality around the same time, Dexter took the worst hit. PowerPuff Girls got worse too, but nowhere near as noticeably as Dexter did. I heard that after the second season, the original creator had next to nothing to do with the show any more.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish one of these days they would put this series on Netflix so I may relive my childhood again.

Edited by Robogaman

I still watch that show, every now and then. It still reruns on italian television. Of course, I grew up watching the italian dub. Dexter doesn't have that weird accent in it. And I am kind of grateful for that.

Yeah, really liked the show. And the italian opening was so silly and bad in an odd way...I liked that too. Watch it for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMgHcSsyEk

No, really. It was horrible. Really.

LOVED this show as a kid. At least the first two seasons, anyway. Got worse as it went on.

DEXTER SECRET DEXTER SECRET DEXTER SECRET

I liked the main Dexter's Lab shorts okay, but my favorite about this series was the show-within-a-show, The Justice Friends.

There were only a handful of segments, but the everyday life antics of Major Glor, Val Hallen, and Krunk were the highlight of the show for me. I would have loved to see them get their own spinoff series, but alas.

• Thumbs Up 1

LOVED this show as a kid. At least the first two seasons, anyway. Got worse as it went on.

DEXTER SECRET DEXTER SECRET DEXTER SECRET

DEXTER'S A COOKIE, DEXTER'S A COOKIE!

I loved this show when I was a kid, including the Justice Friends parts they sometimes interrupted it with. It's probably just nostalgia, but the 90's had a lot more cartoons worth watching. Adventure Time is awesome, though.

I liked the main Dexter's Lab shorts okay, but my favorite about this series was the show-within-a-show, The Justice Friends.

There were only a handful of segments, but the everyday life antics of Major Glor, Val Hallen, and Krunk were the highlight of the show for me. I would have loved to see them get their own spinoff series, but alas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Kehf8jNSY

You mean this? I loved these guys so much and I still do. I found this recently and I am so happy I found the whole flipping series of the Justice Friends on this guys channel!

• Thumbs Up 2

Omelette du fromage.

I loved Dexter's Lab as a kid. To this day I can watch "Mock 5" and especially "Dexter and Computress Get Mandark" and laugh at every second of them. My favorite part was that you could always feel the talent sharing that went on between Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls in the early seasons of both shows.

Such a shame that the show fell right into the shitter after they forced Tartakovsky off of it.

Edited by Great and POWERFUL Tornado

Adventure Time is awesome, though.

And Regular Show.

Such a shame that the show fell right into the shitter after they forced Tartakovsky off of it.

Actually, I don't think Tartakovsky was forced off of it. Rather, he had intended for the show to end after the movie, but CN continued it without him due to its popularity. Meanwhile, Tartakovsky went on to create Samurai Jack.

I don't know about you guys, but I remember the later episodes being pretty good. Then again, I was a kid back then...

Edited by T-Man

I just treat the seasons after Ego Trip as non-canon, since Ego Trip was meant to be the series finale.

That said, I love the old series and Ego Trip very much.

Ego Trip was the movie, right?

That still had the horrible animation and new voice actor, didn't it? I still kind of regarded it as 'after the show went downhill'. =/

I seriously wish they'd release a full series (or at least the good half) box set for the show. That and PPG I'd pick up in a heartbeat.

That still had the horrible animation and new voice actor, didn't it? I still kind of regarded it as 'after the show went downhill'. =/

No, it did not. Ego Trip was several years before the reboot. Gendy was also involved, and the movie itself was loads of fun.

Edited by Mega

I totally loved this show while growing up. A total classic! I remember watching it when it was a total new show. Oh and yes, The Justice Friends were freakin' brilliant and awesome. Good times!

I have massively fond memories of the series... for the first two seasons. By season three, the animation had lost all its charm since they original style had been scrapped in favour of a really dull, lifeless Flash animation, and Dexter's original voice actor was replaced. In my opinion, the quality of the series plummeted around that point.

I agree. The show went downhill in quality, especially in the animation department when season 3 came on. The first two seasons were excellent thought in both animation and plot.

I heard that after the second season, the original creator had next to nothing to do with the show any more.

That's correct. Genndy Tartakovsky left to work on Samurai Jack and the rest of the original production team left at the time to move on to their own things.

But despite the later two season not being as great as the first two, Dexter's Lab was one of my favorite cartoon series growing up, and I still have fond memories of it to this day. Ego Trip was a fantastic Dexter's Lab movie too.

Edit:

I seriously wish they'd release a full series (or at least the good half) box set for the show. That and PPG I'd pick up in a heartbeat.

I'm super late on this, but if you have a DVD player that can play Region 1 DVD's you should pick up The Powerpuff Girls Complete Series DVD.

Edited by Kevin

Aw man, Dexter's Lab was awesome. This was one of my favorite shows right along with Johnny Bravo and the PowerPuff Girls. Thank goodness for Boomerang.

However, the newer shows were not as good as the older ones. I think they completely jumped the shark when his parents found out about his laboratory :/

And Mandark! Who could forget that laugh and his weird obsession with Dee Dee? :lol:

And that episode when Dexter's dad was a plant and he kept saying "FEED Me! Feeeed mee!!"

brings back memories :')

Edited by Dimples

I LOVED Dexter's Laboratory. I even bought the complete series from a guy on iOffer who recorded all of the episodes and put them on DVD. The writing and humor was genius (no pun intended), the characters were funny and likeable, and it was just a great show to watch. My favorite episodes were the one with the robot parrot ("DEXTER'S A STUPID GIRL! DEXTER'S A COOKIE!"), the one where Dexter can't stop saying "Omelet du fromage!", and Ego Trip. This was one of my favorite Cartoon Network shows while growing up, but my favorite of all time was Samurai Jack (just wish they would have concluded the series though :( ).

I just watched an episode of this yesterday, how ironic. I used to love this show! It was kind of weird, and stuff, but it was still good. I love how Dee Dee always tries to mess up his stuff in the laboratory, and how weird Dexter's voice was. XD But it was good times. Thank goodness for Boomerang.

• 2 weeks later...

Dexter's Lab was always on of my favorite shows as a kid along with Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Cow & Chicken, Billy & Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Foster's Home.

A memorable episode was one where he's looking for his robot who went deep into the old, trashed up part of his lab, it showed how huge it is. I also loved the one where he and his family battle that Japanese monster in the robot and Mandark takes all the credit xD good times. Screw an open-world Sonic game, and open-world(or open-lab) Dexter's Lab game is the way to go!

Edited by Gartocer