Awoo.

Speed Runs

Sami

ModernCityEscapeSpeedRun_sayi50-2.png

New time for Modern City Escape 2:12:84... Exactly 3 seconds faster from my Dreamcast Era entry. Found a new path to follow. Still not perfected it though. I think this can get onto low 2:12s or late 2:11s... Needs more work.

Edited by sayi50

^^ What's your best time for Classic Speed Highway?

Haven't run it yet... I'm giving the Classic Tourney a very low priority. I want to be done with Modern Sonic first, so I think you'll learn my Classic times 1 day before the finals or so.

Well... How about this instead?

Egg Dragoon Normal Mode - 02:42:04

EggDragoonNormalModeSpeedRun_sayi50.png

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 03:16:51

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRun_sayi50.png

God, I love running this boss. I actually found yet another way to hit the boss... That makes 4 or 5 ways to hit him now?

Edited by sayi50

Haven't run it yet... I'm giving the Classic Tourney a very low priority. I want to be done with Modern Sonic first, so I think you'll learn my Classic times 1 day before the finals or so.

Well... How about this instead?

Egg Dragoon Normal Mode - 02:42:04

EggDragoonNormalModeSpeedRun_sayi50.png

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 03:16:51

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRun_sayi50.png

God, I love running this boss. I actually found yet another way to hit the boss... That makes 4 or 5 ways to hit him now?

Wow...you've got a crapton of sigs!

Wow...you've got a crapton of sigs!

I know right? I won 5 out of 6 levels I was competing in. And that 1 is the Chemical Plant Zone I never entered. corneliab owned that thing though biggrin.png

Edit: If the longness of my sigs bother you, please tell me, I will shorten it.

Edited by sayi50

I just saw your Egg Dragoon times Sayi50. Since it seems boss times are okay here, I figured I'd post my own times. Specifically the Dreamcast Era and Modern Era bosses (Only on Hard Mode. I'll try speed-running the easy modes later on. Same for the Classic bosses and Time Eater.)

I'll have videos of them tomorrow. Don't mind the fact that you see Super Sonic in the screenshots. It's just a model swap of Modern Sonic's normal form. It doesn't affect gameplay at all.)

Anyways, here are the times (Screenshots and thoughts in spoilers.)

Perfect Chaos (Hard Mode) - 01:34:44

PerfectChaosTime.png

In my opinion, Hard Mode Perfect Chaos is EASIER than the normal difficulty. Probably because the side-scrolling part can be skipped. BTW, fighting it as "Super" Sonic is so fitting.

Egg Dragoon (Hard Mode) - 02:56:31

EggDragoonTime.png

It took 2 hours of re-tries to get this run... Hitting him 8 times within 2 laps helped speed things up. The use of "Super" Sonic is fitting, since that's how Sonic beat the Egg Dragoon in the Unleashed intro cutscene.

Silver (Hard Mode) - 01:37:34

SilverTime.png

You know how Silver starts the battle by tossing a car at you? Did you know you can use a homing attack on it within the first second of the battle, then launch a second one immediately afterwards to hit Silver? 1st hit within 3 seconds FTW!

Shadow (Hard Mode) - 01:19:58

ShadowTime.png

Getting all 3 cores in 1 lap FTW! That, and Shadow only having 2 rings during the power-up phase. (If Shadow has 0, 1, or 2 rings during Sonic's meteor charge, he's defeated the instant you touch him. Any more rings will stall the defeat due to how long it takes to drain Shadow's rings.

WTF? (Shadow Hard Mode?) - 01:04:33

WhatisthisIdonteven.png

What is this, I don't even... Shadow glitched out after I got the first core. It apparently slowed him down so much that the 2nd and 3rd cores also slowed down, allowing them to be gotten much more quickly than usual. It even caused the game to lag prior to the power-up phase. During the power-up, Shadow had no rings and acted normal again. You'll have to see the video to believe it. Good/bad bugs FTW?

I wish there were leaderboards for the bosses (like in Sonic Colors.) I'd love to see how my times stack up. (Reminds me of the time I had the best non-hacked Nega-Wisp Armor score in Colors. Got beaten within a few hours, but it was fun while it lasted.)

P.S. - I did a lot of restarts against Shadow to get that last run. I'd always get at least 100 rings within 30 seconds of the fight, sometimes 200 within the first 50 seconds. It's a really easy way to get extra lives. I went from 3 lives to over 50 in between starting and getting that run.

Egg Dragoon (Hard Mode) - 02:56:31

EggDragoonTime.png

It took 2 hours of re-tries to get this run... Hitting him 8 times within 2 laps helped speed things up. The use of "Super" Sonic is fitting, since that's how Sonic beat the Egg Dragoon in the Unleashed intro cutscene.

Hmmm, So it's possible then... I'll take few more runs around it since the Tourney is not gonna end this weekend.

Hmmm, So it's possible then... I'll take few more runs around it since the Tourney is not gonna end this weekend.

My strategy is boost right away, and hit the dash ramp to reach the first rail ASAP, then jump off a little ways before the dash ring to get a homing attack off. This places me a little bit before the 3rd dash ramp, which I use to get on the 3rd set of rails to get a 2nd hit right before the 2-D section. I then waste no time in the 2-D part, getting two hits from wall-jumping while also not using boost too much.

From there, I repeat the rail stuff from the first lap. In the second 2-D section, I boost a second before the Egg Dragoon body enters homing attack range, then hit it ASAP while still boosting. 2 of those was enough to get to the diving part. I just hold down X, dodge the missles, and spam the A button when the homing attack prompt comes up. And viola, sub-3-minute run!

P.S. - It's also possible to do the wall-jumping part 3 times within a single 2-D section (You have to hold left on the controller while running and use slides / jumps / etc to run as slowly as possible. The wall-jumps have to be done quickly, and you can't get hit outside the wall-jump parts. It doesn't really shave off much time, but it's fun to do.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, if we're talking about bosses... (and sorry if you showed this in your post, but I can't open spoilers on my PS3 browser), I'm REALLY curious if it's possible to beat Shadow without the power cores. I can get him down to 000 Rings, but I can NEVER land another hit before he gets more rings! (I have gotten my power-up while he had no rings, so I finished him the moment I touched him, but I've never hit him otherwise.)

Hey, if we're talking about bosses... (and sorry if you showed this in your post, but I can't open spoilers on my PS3 browser), I'm REALLY curious if it's possible to beat Shadow without the power cores. I can get him down to 000 Rings, but I can NEVER land another hit before he gets more rings! (I have gotten my power-up while he had no rings, so I finished him the moment I touched him, but I've never hit him otherwise.)

Yeah, it's impossible to defeat him without the cores. He has mercy invincibility the entire time he has 0 rings. During the power-up, if he has 1 or 2 rings, he can still be finished the instant you touch him. (3 or more rings takes longer due to the ring drain.)

That last WTF time I had was from Shadow randomly glitching out and slowing down off-screen (The speed of the cores depends on the speed Sonic and Shadow are moving when it spawns. Once the glitch happened, the cores moves REALLY slow.) Even stranger was that Shadow returned to normal once the Power-Up phase began.

Yeah, it's impossible to defeat him without the cores. He has mercy invincibility the entire time he has 0 rings. During the power-up, if he has 1 or 2 rings, he can still be finished the instant you touch him. (3 or more rings takes longer due to the ring drain.)

That last WTF time I had was from Shadow randomly glitching out and slowing down off-screen (The speed of the cores depends on the speed Sonic and Shadow are moving when it spawns. Once the glitch happened, the cores moves REALLY slow.) Even stranger was that Shadow returned to normal once the Power-Up phase began.

Aw, that SUCKS. I always wanted to get him like that... And I kinda wish I could get a glitch like that, I'm always trying to lower my times for Shadow. He's a really fun boss...

I was also thinking the Death Egg Robot would be a good boss to speedrun because of the second phase... I should try that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UX3MSlL1-M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UX3MSlL1-M

There's that Egg Dragoon Speedrun I mentioned. I forgot that I got a lucky hit near the start of the second 3-D phase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcx0aT9vklY

And here's both of the Shadow runs I did. Starting with the proper one (Which was recorded while I has a different quick step animation, which made quicksteps HARDER to do). Then you see the glitched one. It's strange how the glitch only served to benefit me, and returned things to normal at the best possible time.

Either way, I've now ruined Hard-Mode speed runs for Shadow. There's no way anyone can get faster without using gameplay-altering cheats/hacks. Or somehow getting the glitch to happen to them on a non-laggy computer.

As for Death Egg Robot, go for it! I know I can speed-run the first phase just fine (I'll just have to wait until I can get a Classic Super Sonic model swap to work... >:D )

• Thumbs Up 2

Mission accomplished (2:50.81)defeatmytime2.jpg

Guess who beat their time on the Time Eater again =D

onceagain.jpg

I swear I'm the only one that speed runs this boss.

• Thumbs Up 4

Congrats Jet! I swear i will start speedrunning that Boss. Might as well get 2nd place xD

I think everybody speedruns for the online leaderboards.

hey JoeTE

How 'bout this?:

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 1:52.38 (Glitched)

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRunGlitched_sayi50.png

Take this!:

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 2:46.80 (Legit)

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRun_sayi50-1.png

It's NO use! biggrin.png

Somehow I managed to hit Egg Dragoon 2 times at the first 3D and... wait for it... 6 times at the first 2D. Six. Fuckin'. Times! After that the boss totally glitched out. I couldn't hit it at the skydiving section. There was no HA reticle coming out. And then I had to hit it another time at the first 2D section. Yeah...I never got out into the 2nd 3D.

The 2:46 one is not glitched. A very legit run. BTW don't use the rails. At the first section dodge the first two ice waves and then jump before he shoots the third one. You know he does a backflip move right? Right there you'll have a split second HA chance.

At the 2nd 3D after he shoots the 3rd drill wait a bit for him to fix his stance then jump. You'll find a split second HA chance again. this one is very hard to do. And at the 2nd 2D section, after he shoots the ice shots, he just looks at you right? HA into him and then air boost. That'll make you hit him twice in one HA.

As for the glitch. After hitting him twice at the 1st 3D. Get hit by his 1st ice wave then keep boosting if you can catch up and hit him while he's going into the 2D, you can hit him three times with HA. You can chain them. Then he will do 3 wall jump attack right after another. Well. I only managed to glitch it once...

@Jetronic: Challange Accepted. I think I got a sub 2 min on that guy Hard Mode... No idea how it happened though.

Edited by sayi50

hey JoeTE

How 'bout this?:

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 1:52.38 (Glitched)

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRunGlitched_sayi50.png

Take this!:

Egg Dragoon Hard Mode - 2:46.80 (Legit)

EggDragoonHardModeSpeedRun_sayi50-1.png

Edited by JoeTE
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was trying for under 30 seconds for the Shadow Battle, but thats an impossibility since you can't kill Shadow unless you use the power up. You can charge into him or do the homing attack to get him to zero rings, but as soon as you get him to zero rings he goes into the invincibility state. Hell, you can charge into him right as soon as the level/battle starts, but you can't kill him unless you get all the Chaos Cores and ram his ass with your magenta aura.

• 2 weeks later...

The tournament may be over (Which I feel like I should have taken a part of now) But the game is still plenty good for speed running!

I put the game in today and decided I try taking a swing at Chemical Plant Zone and I got a time I'm actually pretty proud of.

imag0007di.jpg

1:53.30. Not the best time, i know, but I'd say it's pretty good.

Here's my

Only got the game on Thursday too. Let's see where I get after a few weeks lol

Oh, and Eternal X, if you thought my City Escape speedrun was fast, wait until you see some of the stuff I'm going to pull in the 3DS version tournament. biggrin.png

Edited by pugwishbone

• 2 weeks later...

Well, kinda late to reply here, but I can show you my GHZ1 speed run, even though it might not be that new or something. I'm working on Speed Highway now, though. Here's my video, 43:30. ;) Do notice that my best time was 43:02, but yeah. Got this one upon recording. =P

http://steamcommunit...8777?tab=public

Not sure if this is where I should post a boss run, are they considered as speed runs if done fast?

Well anyway this is my best time on Egg Dragoon, just got it today, that boss is pretty entertaining.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this was in hard mode.

Nevermind this post actually, just saw a 1:54 run on this guy, back under a rock I go.

Edited by Boodendorf

http://steamcommunit...8777?tab=public

Not sure if this is where I should post a boss run, are they considered as speed runs if done fast?

Well anyway this is my best time on Egg Dragoon, just got it today, that boss is pretty entertaining.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this was in hard mode.

Nevermind this post actually, just saw a 1:54 run on this guy, back under a rock I go.

1:54? Mine is 1:52.38 on hard. Totally glitched the boss though tongue.png

Edited by sayi50

Improved my time on Speed Highway a bit too

imag0067y.jpg

I believe I had it just over 1:50 before, so I'm glad that I was able to improve it like this.