Awoo.

Worst Sonic Game Soundtrack?

Aleekun107

Oh, another thing about the orchestral final boss tracks: Are they disliked simply because of the instrumentation, or the fact that they're remixes of the opening themes?

Mario Galaxy had one of the most awesome final boss tracks I've heard in a while, and I think something like this would suit Sonic even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAfzbcP1SX8

• 5 months later...

It has to be Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for the Game Boy Advance. You know, the worst port of any game, anytime, ever.

The tracks in that game are absolutely atrocious, especially Green Hill Zone, Spring Yard Zone, Labyrinth Zone and Final Zone. The drumming sound is incredibly tinny, the melody is ruined by the terrible pitch of some of the notes and worst of all (I don't know if this is strictly true, but I've heard it from a lot of people) the sound actually causes most of the lag issues in that game.

Look around YouTube if you don't believe me.

EDIT: I made the same comment later on in this thread. Sorry about that, I completely forgot.

Edited by dwibs93

IIRC, Sonic Blast has some pretty awful and forgettable music. I remember watching someone play it, and it was some pretty lackluster stuff.

EDIT: Listening to some of these tracks again, they're... okay. Just not particularly impressive.

Edited by Mega

Can't remember if I replied to this topic yet. :/

For my own decision, I'm going to bar all Gamegear games, since I don't think it'd be fair for me to rank up games I've only played a few seconds of each (barring Sonic Drift 2, which is a fave of mine).

With that in mind, and with Sonic Chronicles also barred, I'm going to say...the Sonic CD soundtracks. It's not that either of them are particularly grating on the ears, it's just that neither of them had a single tune that was so memorable that it stuck in my head for any longer than as I was playing the duration of a level. I guess it be because the pulse in the tunes is much weaker than on most Sonic soundtracks.

Generations had an awesome soundtrack. But the only track I can say I honestly hated was the time eater. It's an okay track on it's own, but when compared to past final boss theme it just comes as a bit of a let down.

Generations had an awesome soundtrack. But the only track I can say I honestly hated was the time eater. It's an okay track on it's own, but when compared to past final boss theme it just comes as a bit of a let down.

Honestly, who thought this horrible, weedy shit was appropriate for a supposedly bustling city?

Or this was appropriate for Mystic Ruins?

It is so insulting to Jun Senoue's original wonderful 3D Blast tracks as well as player's ears angry.png I mean, everything about Chronicles smacks of laziness and is awful but even 'bad' Sonic games so very frequently had a good soundtrack to at least give you something good. Chronicles doesn't even have that.

There are a 134 posts in this thread, and they don't all talk about Chronicles. That is scary.

Edited by ChristmasJack
  • Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, who thought this horrible, weedy shit was appropriate for a supposedly bustling city?

It is so insulting to Jun Senoue's original wonderful 3D Blast tracks as well as player's ears angry.png I mean, everything about Chronicles smacks of laziness and is awful but even 'bad' Sonic games so very frequently had a good soundtrack to at least give you something good. Chronicles doesn't even have that.

Edited by candied sugar plum1984

I mean how can you go from this sheer epicness and brilliance -

...to this complete and utter rubbish? -

Like I said before; It's an insult to the original song(s). It strips all that eargasmic complexity, of formidability and dauntingness with absolute surgical precision. FFS, if Chronicles gets a sequel, keep Bioware Handheld division's sound department the hell away from the game. As far away as possible preferably.

Or this was appropriate for Mystic Ruins?

[

Just listening to those makes me wonder if the sound team were either tone deaf or just deaf in general, because those songs were terrible. I've heard amatuer midi's on VGmusic.com that sounded better than those travesties.

The only ones I didn't care for where the Adventure series and Sonic CD in terns of sound tracks. In fact, the only songs I liked from the Adventure series were Station Square and True Story thanks to Generations. As for CD; only song I liked was Wacky Workbench bad future. And the special stage.

And Chroncles' version of the big arm sounded like looney toons music.

Just listening to those makes me wonder if the sound team were either tone deaf or just deaf in general, because those songs were terrible. I've heard amatuer midi's on VGmusic.com that sounded better than those travesties.

I'm suprised, it took 4 pages before Sonic R was mentioned. Usually I see people call it an atrocious piece of shit.

Still my favorite soundtrack though.

Along with the obvious, my least favorite is Sonic Spinball's. Seriously, Howard Drossin, were those trash cans with sawblades really necessary in the soundtrack? (Options music, boss music etc.) At least he redeemed himself with Crystal Cave and Dragon's Lair.

I really didn't care for the ethnic diversity of Sonic Unleashed's Soundtrack. But I think Triple Trouble had the worst music.

Even though I haven't played it, I've always heard that Rivals's soundtrack was pretty bland.

Gee, as of personal experience, I can't think of any soundtrack in a Sonic game that I didn't like. :/

EDIT: Sonic Chronicles I'd have to say is the worst. Some of their songs sound like a cat hitting a keyboard or whatever soundfont they used. Sonic 4's in second place for it's bad synthfont/instruments and short audio loops (some were so short that some tracks like E.G.G. Station Zone -Final Boss part- got extremely repetitive). And pretty much all of the boss songs range from meh to suck. How can anyone take Eggman seriously with that clown music? All he weas missing was a damn clown suit. And if that awful song was the only music in Sonic Eraser, than it takes number three.

Not representing the entire soundtrack, but I also hated how repetitive, unchanging, and frequent the Werehog music got in Unleashed.

Edited by Zinos

Sonic Chronicles, I hate that music. None of it is memorable and after two seconds of listening to it, I'm sick of it. Compared to other games on the DS, it is a very crappy soundtrack.

Chronicles is the most straightforward example of a contender for the worst Sonic soundtrack. Those 3D Blast themes were innocent, Mr. Dark Brotherhood. They did nothing to you.

But I'd also like to vote the Rivals series due to every single track sounding exactly the same. Not that they have to sound stereotypical, but I always like my level themes and boss themes and leitmotifs to be varied and unique, so being only barely able to distinguish one from another gets a thumbs down from me.

Otherwise, nothing else comes to mind. If there's one thing Sonic's consistent at, it's good music. Although it gets on my nerves how the lyric themes almost always overshadow everything else in their respective games.

Sonic Chronicles, hands down. I can't believe what the music composers did with the classic Genesis music. It's like they were raped by a electronic piano with only 8-10 keyboards on it.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't know I replied to this topic already.

Edited by Zinos

It's pretty sad when you actually come across a Sonic game with a weak soundtrack, though. It seems like music usually tends to be one of the stronger points in those, with memorable music for levels and epic, dramatic music for the final bosses.

Sonic Generations seemed to be the example of a sad case though, when it came to the music for the final boss. I mean, I honestly love the remixes that they have for some of the levels like Modern Chemical Plant Zone or Classic Crisis City, I think those are incredible and I love listening to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l1jkmPF9-c

This however, just..didn't do it for me. It was a random choir and drums that seemed to come out of nowhere. It wasn't a theme and it wasn't dramatic or did it get you pumped to defeat the final boss, it was kind of just there and it honestly constantly bugged me how odd it sounded.

It was like that second part of the Perfect Chaos fight.