Awoo.

Arguments with idiots

Gaming Misfit

This is not a thread about arguments among other SEGA fanboys and Sonic fans. This is a thread for those people that challenged your like for Sonic and tried to oppose it but had stupid reasons, or better yet NO reasons. I actually had one of these only like a week ago...

It happened on a gaming forum when we were all talking about our excitement after E3. I mentioned Star Wars: The Old Republic, Skyrim, and gave a brief mention on Sonic Generations and how it had grabbed my attention as of lately. Someone asked me "Sonic Generations? What's that". I replied with "It's a new game from SEGA combining the modern and classic gameplay, and taking all 3 'ages' of Sonic from the entire series. The fanbase seems pretty excited for the most part". His response was "Oh, that's cool". Of course though, some retard had to challenge it "I just looked up that interview on Gamespot at E3. That game SUCKS". Of course this grabbed my interest and so I responded with "Okay, why does it suck? What's so terrible about it?". He posted back after a couple minutes with "The camera is all over the place, it's an absolute mess. Also, I know the fanbase has been arguing about the camera ever since Sonic 1" I lol'd at that and then responded "Out of ALL those comments on youtube I fail to see ONE, NOT A SINGLE ONE complaining about the camera. And as for previous games, camera has never been that big of a problem. It may have been a minor one occasionally, however I fail to see much anger towards camera issues" He responded "The classic stages camera goes absolutely nuts and all over the place, it's like it's jumping on a trampoline" Then it became clear he had no clue what he was talking about. "So tell me, if the camera just focuses on Sonic and his surroundings, then how in the world is it all over the place?" with that said he responded "It sucks. Get over it. Sonic is stupid and for little kids." With that I decided to end it with "Of corse it izz,letz go pla cal of dooty blak opps insted becuz it is awsum becuz it has shuting and nuketown!!!!11" He logged off after that. It might have just been coincidence though.

Anywaaaays.....This thread is for those humorous conversations you had, with idiots who tried to mock the series or a certain game, with little to no proof, enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well i come across massive douch bags all the time who'd ratger play something more...

(Ppphhhpphptttpphhpsssttchhcpphhhschhhh)

*maturr and grewn up*

Like cod. Of course, almost ANYBODY whod rather play a cartoon game faces that wall. I mean, halo 3 i can understand. Thats a genuinly fun game that could reasonably be preferred. But when they have to point out that its cuz sonic is "Childish", i o ly can say 1 thing------

OH NO U DIDNT GERFRIND

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well i come across massive douch bags all the time who'd ratger play something more...

(Ppphhhpphptttpphhpsssttchhcpphhhschhhh)

*maturr and grewn up*

Like cod. Of course, almost ANYBODY whod rather play a cartoon game faces that wall. I mean, halo 3 i can understand. Thats a genuinly fun game that could reasonably be preferred. But when they have to point out that its cuz sonic is "Childish", i o ly can say 1 thing------

OH NO U DIDNT GERFRIND

Honestly I don't care if people think that franchises like Sonic and Mario is stupid or childish. They can think what they want. Nowadays I mostly play games that I grew up with since my childhood and I have way more fun playing a 'kiddy' game then any kind of rated M game or modern FPS.

Funny, I don't get sonic hate offen... I get game hate ALOT tho. It's cause I play mostly Street fighter when people are over and kick their asses, So me playing sonic with those friends around they just sit and watch. Normally after the 3rd or so stage they go and say they wish they can sit and play a sonic game now days without dying like I can. Apparently sonic is hard................ I never noticed. But SSFIV is where my friends send out the hate, I don't play FPSs cause they bore me. So apparently cause I'm good in fighting games and platformers I have no GF, go to no parties, and is somehow stuck in the year 1994. :/ All cause I won't play a FPS.... sorry watching a gun hop around isn't my idea of fun.

( I have nothing against those games, I just never can get into them. )

Honestly, most of my fellow teenagers are so one-track-minded about their endless reams of homogeneous sports titles and mountains of war simulators, that they simply don't have the raw capacity of imagination or suspension of disbelief to even do so much as comprehend a Sonic game without stereotyping it or criticising its outward demeaner to the point or sheer prejudice. The franchise is "gay", and "for kids", they say, before returning to their virtual murder-fests that sport age ratings well above what they should legally be allowed - Sonic Heroes and Sonic X back in 2003-4 certainly didn't help the franchise to shed its "kiddie image", but the complete and utter unjustified contempt that most gamers under the age of 20 hold the Sonic series in is not something that that game and that cartoon series alone could ever have afforded.

I suppose that the real kick in the balls came last year when I was browsing my local GameStation, examining the back of the GameCube version of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle in the retro section, when I heard two kids who couldn't have been more than eight or nine talking about their kills in their online bouts of Call of Duty - and was horrified when their discussion turned to size of the breasts of a woman on a piece of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas artwork. I looked back to the copy of Sonic Adventure 2 in my hand, sighed under my breath, and casually put it down and walked away - the thoughts about those two eight/nine-year-olds discussing tits while I looked at a 3+ rated platformer lingered in my mind like a bad smell in an elevator for quite a while, and it wasn't long before I deduced that there was something badly wrong with that picture...

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, most of my fellow teenagers are so one-track-minded about their endless reams of homogeneous sports titles and mountains of war simulators, that they simply don't have the raw capacity of imagination or suspension of disbelief to even do so much as comprehend a Sonic game without stereotyping it or criticising its outward demeaner to the point or sheer prejudice. The franchise is "gay", and "for kids", they say, before returning to their virtual murder-fests that sport age ratings well above what they should legally be allowed - Sonic Heroes and Sonic X back in 2003-4 certainly didn't help the franchise to shed its "kiddie image", but the complete and utter unjustified contempt that most gamers under the age of 20 hold the Sonic series in is not something that that game and that cartoon series alone could ever have afforded.

I suppose that the real kick in the balls came last year when I was browsing my local GameStation, examining the back of the GameCube version of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle in the retro section, when I heard two kids who couldn't have been more than eight or nine talking about their kills in their online bouts of Call of Duty - and was horrified when their discussion turned to size of the breasts of a woman on a piece of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas artwork. I looked back to the copy of Sonic Adventure 2 in my hand, sighed under my breath, and casually put it down and walked away - the thoughts about those two eight/nine-year-olds discussing tits while I looked at a 3+ rated platformer lingered in my mind like a bad smell in an elevator for quite a while, and it wasn't long before I deduced that there was something badly wrong with that picture...

I gotta say, I lol'd at that last part.

Here's a brilliant quote I found from Irish book author Clive Staples Lewis.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

This is how I distinguish mature people from people who are insecure about their maturity. I can play Sonic games in front of others without even a tinge of guilt. I'm as open as I can be about my interest in Sonic. Everyone practically knows me as the Sonic guy. Does it bother me if some people think Sonic is "gay" or "childish"? Not even slightly. It just goes to show that maybe they are only playing "mature" games to compensate for something.

Edited by Preston
  • Thumbs Up 7

Me and my friends were talking about the pros and cons of the different systems, and I used the good Wii games as an example. When I mentioned Sonic Colors, the guy instantly shot me down.

"Sonic Colors? Seriously? What kind of name is that?"

"I know the name sucks. What's important is the game, obviously. It's not like Super Mario Sunshine is any better, honestly."

"Yeah, but that's a good game."

"... Wait, what? Colors is a good game too. Arguably an even better one, actually."

"Sonic sucks, man."

"Okay, what games have you played?"

"Those Adventure ones-"

"That explains it. The Adventure games suck. You spend most of the time not even playing anything remotely "Sonic"; ergo, not having fun."

"The camera was bad too."

"I know it was, but they've fixed that since then."

"I also played that PS3 one."

"Unleashed?"

"No, the other one."

"Well of course you hate Sonic! You played the worst game in the series! I personally think the Sonic parts of the Adventure gaes are great, though they haven't aged well."

"I actually kind of liked the PS3 one. They need to make the other ones like that."

"... You're joking, right?"

"Why would I be joking?"

And I just changed the subject after that. I don't want to lose a friend because he likes shitty games.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, whenever someone tries to argue with me over my status as a Sonic fan, I respond to them in a perfectly mature manner.

One of my friends actually liked to bust my chops over my Sonic fanboyism, particularly with Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed, since those games got the most hate. He likes to say that Sonic was never good and was a second-rate attempt to ripoff Mario, and I like to joke back that he hates Sonic because his parents never loved him enough to let him play it as a kid because he ate all their food :P (he's a bit chunky, but we both know we're just playing, so it's in good fun) It is funny though, the one Sonic game he really likes is Adventure 2, even more so than the Classic titles.

Beyond that though, I haven't gotten much flack for my fanboyism; most people I know love Sonic, and hardly even pay any mind to the poor quality of some of the more recent titles.

Edited by EXshad

System Wars. Period.

This affects me because I'm one of the few gamers in my school left who is an overt Nintendo home console user, and everyone seems to insult me about it, labeling other systems as better and superior than the other. You know what they don't know?

There is no better system. They have their drawbacks and flaws, but they can be outweighed by the games that come out on it.

All are equal, here, people.

Oh, and Sonic? That, one person just called me an anthro noob. That's pretty much all there is, but granted, we were both pissed at each other.

Edited by Bipolar Bear
  • Bad Quality Post 1

For me a couple

Him: Why do you like Sonic he sucks

Me: Shut up, and play me a game of Sonic 2.

They tend to like Sonic after that.

The imaginary Sonic who always stands beside me gets very depressed when people hate him. So, normally I avoid arguments about Sonic, by asking why shooters are so great, so we can argue about that instead.

But, mostly "hey that's nice that you like Sonic."

I think my longest winded argument was with a really good friend of mine, (who is still on the dark-side) he criticized mostly SEGA's past sad games and talked about how much he hated it when Sonic says "Let's Go!" and other signature lines. My reply was doing triple jumps going "yah!" "Yahoo!" "Woohoopie!".

That's as much as I've done though.

Edited by dirupti

I come across those fags all the time. At first they made me rethink my love for the series, but them an awesome person helped me see the light in their idiocy. Nowadays, when I detect them I just end up trolling THEM.

Having said that though, I think that those idiots that challenge your love for Sonic are not as bad as the idiots that kick you for not liking *insert Sonic game title(s) or character names here* and try to force you to like them. Regardless of them thinking they're the elitists/true fans of it, They're really quite pathetic and end up embedding hatred upon said game/character in people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a brilliant quote I found from Irish book author Clive Staples Lewis.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

This is how I distinguish mature people from people who are insecure about their maturity. I can play Sonic games in front of others without even a tinge of guilt. I'm as open as I can be about my interest in Sonic. Everyone practically knows me as the Sonic guy. Does it bother me if some people think Sonic is "gay" or "childish"? Not even slightly. It just goes to show that maybe they are only playing "mature" games to compensate for something.

Actually, I sigged another part of that quote on the Sega Forums. : D

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

When ever I see a comment saying "Princess Sally suck's because she takes Sonic away from Amy" I die a little inside from the sheer stupidity of hating a character simply because it doesn't agree with your ship.

Edited by SBR2
  • Thumbs Up 3

When ever I see a comment saying "Princess Sally suck's because she takes Sonic away from Amy" I die a little inside from the sheer stupidity of hating a character simply because it doesn't agree with your ship.

That one works both ways because there are also those who hate Amy for the same reason. Anyway the one that gets on my nerves is when Amy is called a stalker since really it is facepalm worthy and a display of stupidity to compare the childish crush of a girl with an activity that is most known for intimidation and harassment as well as psychological, verbal and physical abuse on the victim, even more sad when those who use the word do not even understand what being a stalker is really about, let alone how they operate in real life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah..there are a lot of idiots around the Internet forums, but..

Do we argue with a wall? Why try to prove something to an idiot? It's certainly a waste of time.

Fortunately, i dont think i have ever once been told by anyone that Sonic is a franchise only for kids, or that the series is "gay", or something equally stupid. If someone did tell me that, whether online or IRL, i swear i would totally blow my fuse. Im usually a pretty reserved guy, but man, if you insult something as beloved to me as Sonic (that is, insult it in a way that isn't called for), oooooh it is fuckin' ON bitch. Yes yes, i know it's always stupid to get into heated arguments over petty stuff like that, but we all know that when your really angry, your mind operates solely on emotion and just tells the common sense part of your brain to shut the hell up... :P

Towards the end of my high school, I got a lot of stick of a certain few in the year above me, since I " had an Xbox360 but sat and played Sonic, what a fucking waste".

Now, back then, I was too quiet, and took it all without properly defending myself, nowadays though, it would be nothing short of a fuck you, you don't hear me complain when you play all the shite of the day on yours, at least I play a classic selection of games :)

A few of my other friends wind me up about it, but they all openly admit they like the Sonic games too, just not as much as me :P

That one works both ways because there are also those who hate Amy for the same reason. Anyway the one that gets on my nerves is when Amy is called a stalker since really it is facepalm worthy and a display of stupidity to compare the childish crush of a girl with an activity that is most known for intimidation and harassment as well as psychological, verbal and physical abuse on the victim, even more sad when those who use the word do not even understand what being a stalker is really about, let alone how they operate in real life.

Agreed. Also, Amy is meant for humorous reasons, not to be a freakish and obsessive person over Sonic. Just to provide some light-hearted humor to the series.

I've been hearing/reading the Sonic hate for years. My friends even make fun at me for being a fan, usually calling me a Sonic fag. I've accepted being called a Sonic fag and just brush it off today, usually responding with "I know, I'm a Sonic fag."

My one friend use to call Sonic Colors Mario Galaxy and I'll just laugh it off haha.

I have had people online tell me Sonic sucks and I could care less for others opinions, especially when they are part of a community I'm not very fond/familiar with, such as... GAMEFAQS ¯\_(シ)_/¯ who knew?

Most of my friends play Call of Duty, even though I do like Black Ops somewhat, I don't play it as much as Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4 (<Guilty Pleasure of mine, but damn sometimes I feel Super Sonic was NOT worth the annoyance.) Or the Generations demo. I'm usually playing one of those.

There was this one time where some guy at school said: "Sonic sucks, all you do is run. It's retarded." (Being one that played the HD version of Unleashed, this didn't sit with me at all.) Then he continues by saying Naruto is better. (Naruto WAS part of the convo though.) I replied with " I'd rather like Sonic then be a Narutard." But other then that, nothing really. Except for my friend that also likes Naruto, and rags on Sonic every chance he gets. I know he's messing around though. I usually mock Naruto for corny comebacks.

Ugh. When I was still in the 3-7 grade,, there were three grade A asshats who openly mocked me for liking Sonic, Mario, or freaking ANYTHING that wasn't COD or Halo. They went so far as to lead the class into laughing at me 5 days a week. Then the whole school. I knew it wasn't getting them anywhere, but it still hurt. So much that for a while I was reluctant to tell anyone I even played video games. Only one of my "friends" didn't mock me like the others. I'm better about it now, but in a way, it has left some scars.

• Thumbs Up 1