Awoo.

Good 2000s cartoons and bad 1990s cartoons

Chaosmaster8753

Bad 90s:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo

You have completely lost an ally on this forum. =(

Bad 90s:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo

Family Guy (repeat what I said about Mega Babies)

Oh right. I never liked those two. And the first one made me remember another one: Tom & Jerry Kids

You have completely lost an ally on this forum. =(

So it's been a long time since I watched this show, but there was this funny bit about it where they made fun of how formulaic the old Scooby Doo shows were, but in doing so made their own show pretty formulaic. On the other hand, the characters are actually a lot more fleshed out here than they were in anything that came before it, and they did a much better job with Scooby's voice here than they have since. I think they would have noticed that the new VA can't even say his catch phrase properly. "Rooby Rooby Doo" indeed.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was the only way I could tolerate anything pertaining to the series, considering how self-parodying it is. According to TV Tropes, it was produced by the same guys who worked on Tiny Toon Adventures, too! I wasn't even aware.

The Tiny Toons people worked on Pup? Well, that just about explains everything, even the Charlie Brown-esque character design.

Anyhoo, I'm of the opinion where Pup is the demarcation line from Hanna-Barbara's 60s era flatness to more interesting and wacky writing. What's New, Scooby Doo? wasn't as self-parodying, but the general stereotypes of the characters and overall playfulness established in Pup still exist. Mystery Incorporated's the same way, although the interpersonal relationships of the characters are taken to more extremes against the backdrop of a season long conspiracy. All of it's certainly better than the original.

I never saw the Get A Clue series, so I can't say anything about it; I think the angular design of everything annoyed me too much. But regardless, anyone mentioning Pup as a bad show is a harlot. =(

Pup sucks, as did Tom & Jerry Kids.

Another bad 90's cartoon is Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and EVERY OTHER DISNEY SPIN-OFF SERIES.

Edit:

But Pup was far from the worst Scooby-Doo series.

Edited by Tobbii

Pup sucks, as did Tom & Jerry Kids.

Another bad 90's cartoon is Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and EVERY OTHER DISNEY SPIN-OFF SERIES.

Edit:

But Pup was far from the worst Scooby-Doo series.

I'll have to disagree with you.

I'll admit Pup was a bit different from Scooby Doo but it kept the spirit of the characters. :P

Also I found some of the Disney spin offs to be amusing, and if not underrated. Hercules is the best of them, even though it retcons most of the movie.

Funny, I was really not considering putting A Pup Named Scooby Doo on the list. I had some good memories of that show, but fundamentally it was pretty bad since at the time Scooby Doo was a craze that got old quick (at least on CN), and like you said Nepenthe, turning popular characters into children / high-schoolers / young people is a really overused and tiresome premise. However maybe if my mind corrects me, it made good out of some bad which can be appreciated. Don't take that one seriously on my list.

Honestly I don't even hate the majority of the ones I listed under "Bad 90s"; in fact I have some endearing memories of most of them. The only ones I can really say I hate are Mega Babies and Family Guy.

I hate Hey Arnold I don't know what it is but as a kid I just could never get into it.

Phenias & Ferb is a fantastic show I love everything about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate Hey Arnold I don't know what it is but as a kid I just could never get into it.

Phenias & Ferb is a fantastic show I love everything about it.

I fully agree with this statement.

Rollie Pollie Ollie fuckin' sucked.

I know Scooby Doo and the 13 ghosts was in the 80s, but Flim Flam was an asshole. Fuck that ambigiousily brown kid.

Little Bear- You were the reason for the creation of the NRA.

Franklin the Turtle-So was this about a kid with down syndrome or something?

Blues Clues-I lost a few brain cells and all patience for life. (The fucking thing is right there, you fucking retard UGH)

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's the thing about Nicktoons: Half of their shows were rambunctious entertainment and the other half were really kinda boring shows with precious little going on. Nickelodeon then interleaved the two types of shows through the Nicktoons block, a crazy show followed by a dull show. The idea seems to have been to give kids a break in between the exciting shows.

So basically, shows like Hey Arnold and Doug were basically made for the purpose of being kinda boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh FernGully. If you've seen it, and if you did seen Avatar (the non-Aang one) you can pretty much tell it's the same plot.

Though I think this person actually went with the 90's likes, instead of dislikes. Robin Williams was also in FernGully, btw.

I watched FernGully in back in 1992 in Primary School when I was in year 2 (can’t remember how old I was). It scared the shit out of me and I had nightmares about the smoke monster for a week. I’ve never watched that film since.

Anyways crap 1990 cartoons:

Mona the Vampire

Hey Arnold

Arthur

Ed, Edd n Eddy

Sonic Underground

And cool 2000 cartoons:

ATOM

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002)

Oban Star Racers

No nose! No nose! No nose!

prod_oban_star_racers_poster.jpg

Oban Star Racers is a bloody wicked cartoon and I will personally hunt down and kill anyone that says otherwise, starting with you :)

But seriously that cartoon had some great race scenes and it really took off during the seasons second half when it started to explore Oban's mythology. In terms of establishing a rich mythology I think it's up there with Avatar: The Legend of Aang. I have Oban on DVD boxset, it sounds great in Dolby 5.1 (Yay).

And remember:

You can fly till blue blue skies

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey Arnold could be a bit uninteresting sometimes, but some episodes (like the Pigeon Man one) were great, you guys cannot deny that.

Holy crap, I remember watching this show back when Disney XD was Toon Disney (When Jetix was slowly taking over) I remember staying up past my bedtime just to watch episodes of it. Very awesome show, I loved it. I agree, it's up there with Avatar: the Last Airbender (Or Legend of Aang as it's called in other countries) as an anime inspired series with a great plot and action.

No nose! No nose! No nose!

Noses suck, are as ugly as sin and you and everyone else should know it. :P

Edited by The Stinking Recolor

Oban Star Racers is a bloody wicked cartoon and I will personally hunt down and kill anyone that says otherwise, starting with you :)

But seriously that cartoon had some great race scenes and it really took off during the seasons second half when it started to explore Oban's mythology. In terms of establishing a rich mythology I think it's up there with Avatar: The Legend of Aang. I have Oban on DVD boxset, it sounds great in Dolby 5.1 (Yay).

And remember:

You can fly till blue blue skies

I actually like the show, just the completely noseless faces are distracting.

I actually like the show, just the completely noseless faces are distracting.

Yes I only just got that. I thought you were exclaiming no because you really hated the show, didn't realise you actually meant they had no noses. *Sings* I think I'm craaaaaaaaaaazy, I think I'm craaaaaaaaaaazy. I think I might be crazy.

Edited by Psychobob’s Ghost

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I can think of plenty of good 2000's cartoons:

Fosters home for imaginary friends

Hi Hi puffy ami yumi

Teen Titans

Samurai Jack

Kim Possible

House of Mouse

Fairly Odd Parents

Old school Spongebob

Danny Phantom

Jimmy Neutron

Hey Arnold

Totally Spies (pretty cool for a girl cartoon)

Ed edd n eddy

Lilo and Stitch the series

Jake long

Proud family

• Thumbs Up 1

Code name Kids next door was awesome, there was always this Canadian cartoon called UBOS (Harry Potter rip-off)which I remember I liked. No 90's though too young to remember

I thought Samurai Jack was a good cartoon during the 2000's due to the combination of storytelling and art direction involved. It was sad that it ended without closure to the plot. The cartoon of the 90's that I didn't really like was Tom and Jerry Kids was that I thought that some of the segments were too nerfed when compared to the original Tom and Jerry segments.