Awoo.

Sonic Colors

Dummy Bear

Wait a minute, when did safeness become a bad thing? Doesn't Sonic Team normally get flak for not being safe or something like that?

Nothing is wrong with them playing it safe but they kinda held back a little too much. To me Colors could have been way better than what it turned out to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who prefers Colors overall, Unleashed at points does get better than Colors ever does, however, it also gets much worse than Colors ever does at some points. I think Colors "playing it safe" it what makes it an overall better game. Rather than repeat my previous post again, I'll quote pokecapn from his LP Sonic Colors thread on Something Awful.

...The 8 main daytime levels are much, much more exciting than anything Colors throws at you.

What Colors does get right though, is the consistency. I didn't like the game as much as Unleashed when I first beat it because nothing in the game really "stands out". But going back to Colors to finish up the red ring collection and making the extra videos for this LP, I really started appreciating how there's no moment in the game where you're not having fun. The consistency is what really makes it feel like "a return to Sonic's roots" despite being a wildly different kind of gameplay than any old Sonic game.

Edited by Ekaje

I've seen some hate on colors,but I've mostly seen people just get bored with it. Aside from super sonic, there really isn't replay value going for it. To tell you the truth I got bored with colors after a few days.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Because opinions.

There's no conspiracy. There's no bandwagon. And people's views are capable of changing over time.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't hate Colors at all. I prefer a balance between 2D and 3D, half-and-half. But Colors was still well done, and I do enjoy platforming. It's just that Unleashed had a lot more replay value... and come to think of it, most Sonic games had a lot more replay value than Colors did, if you ask me. There's also a few non-gameplay reasons I like Unleashed better than Colors, but I've given my schpeal on that enough already.

EDIT: If I can be so bold, I have a suspicion that Colors was popular at first because people WANTED to like it, WANTED it to be a great game. I'm not saying it's bad, because it wasn't, not by any stretch. But at the same time, when the initial hype died down and people realized there was no reason to play it beyond 15 hours or so (INCLUDING finding the red rings), they got bored and saw it for what it was instead of what they wanted it to be.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

But if extras are the case Unleashed should've had the most boring replay value then! It didn't even have supersonic to work for and unless your a speedrun nutjob you don't really care if all your ranks are S or not.

At least colors had something to work for after you were done with the campaign. and its 2 player co-op was pretty fun but its a shame SEGA doesn't believe in online for sonic games the age of friends coming over to play a game is a dying one.

I don't think they're hating on Colors all of a sudden. I think that those people just prefer Unleashed and are just pointing out things that Unleashed does better, i.e.Replay value, content, etc.(minus werehog)...of course, there are always those people that over-accentuate the negatives.

I personally, Prefer Colors, though Unleashed is alright with me.

I don't see how Colors played it too safe. The game involves Sonic running through surreal levels and using aliens as power-ups.

The game is also called Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I STARTED sonic games with SA2B and worked my way up, so i feel my opinion on the new sonic games is important in contrast to classic sonic gamers.

I liked all the sonic games up from sa2, to heroes, shadow and at the point of Next gen, i couldn't play it. I didnt have a 360 so my next game was Secret Rings. I.. i liked it, but i would never ever play through it again. Waaay too hard. Then my next game was Unleashed on the Wii and 360 both (at this time i had a 360).

And well, i thought Unleashed looked cool, and it was fast, but i hated the werehog, i hated it, i absolutely hated it. It's not so much i hated the slower pace, puzzle solving and platforming, i hated the swarms of enemies, and how long it took to kill the enemies. Although the wii titles i played (and unleashed on 360) were cool, i still never felt as comfortable playing them as i do with the gamecube titles.

Then colors came out, i tried it, and ever since, i felt that this is how sonic was MEANT to be in 3d. Colors was perfect, challenging, but rewarding. I can honestly say now, that SA2 will be sitting on my shelf for some time. After i beat colors twice, i popped in SA2 and i haaaated it, i absolutely hated the controls, the horrid camera angles, suddenly it was all coming back.

Then i popped in heroes.. i liked it, wasn't too bad, i popped in shadow and well, it was certainly challenging. I'm NEVER toughing secret rings again. I also played black knight, then i played Unleashed again...

I had no choice but to compair unleashed to colors and well.. i hate to say it but i feel Unleashed's movesets were incorrect. The button layout for colors (using a classic controller) was so perfect. Unleashed feels like.. well they hadn't figured out the best spot to but the crawl/boost button yet. With colors they got it right. Also, in unleashed, the boost sends you in the direction of THE CAMERA, not in sonic's direction. They fixed this in colors.

Overall, colors is more polished, and more fun. Sorry, but those who prefer Unleashed over Colors must have a grudge against the wii or something.

I had no choice but to compair unleashed to colors and well.. i hate to say it but i feel Unleashed's movesets were incorrect. The button layout for colors (using a classic controller) was so perfect. Unleashed feels like.. well they hadn't figured out the best spot to but the crawl/boost button yet. With colors they got it right. Also, in unleashed, the boost sends you in the direction of THE CAMERA, not in sonic's direction. They fixed this in colors.

This goes against everything I think of Colours controls, I hated the placement of boost and slide, much better in Unleashed where you actually didn't have to twitch your hand around to get it pressed in time. And let's not even talk about the quickstep using the analog stick.

Granted GC Controller did some things better, but still not on the point of Unleashed's controls.'

Edit:

Also, I LOVE the Wii, my first console from this generation (Have them all now) and one of the consoles I play the most on, but Unleashed was by far more enjoyable due to controls and level design.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally I preferred Colors but I liked both. I felt both had strengths and weaknesses, and ultimately this divide comes from what people are looking for in a Sonic game. Colors is more of a platformer with some speedy sections while Colors is more a Action-Racer with some platforming sections. That might be an oversimplification but it's the best way I can describe it. I think that there is improvement to be made in both directions, but ultimately the contrast of styles yet basic roots of both makes me more excited for Generations which should include both parties in one game, platformer and action-racer (what I am temporarily calling it). Though I just hope they add more spectacles for Classic Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles had them) and more exploration for Modern Sonic (be more interesting that just running on straight areas quickly and reacting to things quickly).

Edited by Dusk Golem

Colors is more of a platformer with some speedy sections while Colors is more an Action-Racer with some platforming sections. That might be an oversimplification but it's the best way I can describe it. I that there is improvement to be made in both directions, but ultimately the contrast makes me more excited for Generations which should include both parties in one game.

I agree, evening out the platforming/speeding is hopefully something Generations does well. :D

Edited by Tobbii

I rather take SA/SA2 over Colors honestly. At least I don't feel like I'm sliding and hard to control all the time. When I first played Colors, I was like "WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS PRECISION JUMPING GOSH THIS IS AWFUL".

Don't get me wrong, I love the visual aspects of Colors (and all other Sonic games). Just... the physics, controls, etc didn't feel tight for me. Oh and it was hard to see tiny Sonic against colorful backgrounds in 2D mode. Or perhaps I'm just blind.

But anyway, there was little for you to do in both Unleashed and Colors after you beat them >_>;

• Thumbs Up 1

But anyway, there was little for you to do in both Unleashed and Colors after you beat them >_>;

That's why we need stuff like Extra Missions and Chao Garden.

Edited by Tobbii
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really hate Colours, I just found pretty much no incentive to play it more than once. I see people saying it's got better replay value than Unleashed, but frankly, red ring collecting just feels like an arbitary and asinine way to extend a game to me, with nothing particularly satisfying to gain for it (a bunch of boring extra Sonic Simulator missions that should have been playable from the start, and a Super Sonic unlock that seems to contradict the existing gameplay even more than it usually does). It doesn't help that Colours literally hands out S ranks like candies either - I at least got some satisfaction out of having to work for it as far as Unleashed is concerned, trial-and-error level design be damned.

EDIT: If I can be so bold, I have a suspicion that Colors was popular at first because people WANTED to like it, WANTED it to be a great game. I'm not saying it's bad, because it wasn't, not by any stretch. But at the same time, when the initial hype died down and people realized there was no reason to play it beyond 15 hours or so (INCLUDING finding the red rings), they got bored and saw it for what it was instead of what they wanted it to be.
Welcome to basically every Sonic game release ever.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Main Game - "This is just a toned down version of Unleashed... It was short as well... eh, may as well hunt down those red rings since there's nothing else to really do."

While Hunting for Red Rings - "Wow, these levels are huge. I've found so many different ways I can traverse these levels. I'm going to play them again to see if there's any I've missed."

So... yeah, I can understand why some people would love Colours, and why others would dislike it. Because I've been both. XD;

Main Game - "This is just a toned down version of Unleashed... It was short as well... eh, may as well hunt down those red rings since there's nothing else to really do."

While Hunting for Red Rings - "Wow, these levels are huge. I've found so many different ways I can traverse these levels. I'm going to play them again to see if there's any I've missed."

So... yeah, I can understand why some people would love Colours, and why others would dislike it. Because I've been both. XD;

Don't forget.

Running on rails trying to remember exactly where I should be to get that red ring while running only to mess up because the analog stick won't let me double-tap right quick enough... Sorry, I just had to get that frustration out.

Don't forget.

Running on rails trying to remember exactly where I should be to get that red ring while running only to mess up because the analog stick won't let me double-tap right quick enough... Sorry, I just had to get that frustration out.

Urrrrgh, completely agree with you there. I love this game a lot, but god damn did they mess up the Quick-Step and the Drifting mechanics. |3;

Urrrrgh, completely agree with you there. I love this game a lot, but god damn did they mess up the Quick-Step and the Drifting mechanics. |3;

Yeah, I just finished it yesterday so I'm not fully done playing it, but I can't get over my frustration whenever that happened or when fighting the last boss and the quickstep won't register tossing you into the nega-blocks... I hated that boss.

Unleashed replay value comes from the thrill ride factor (and it had amazing DLC)

Unleashed delivers like a Rollercoaster to the minds of some while Colors delivers more like a Mario game.

Unleashed may have had less platforming, but it made you feel like you were in control ALL the time you were playing.

In Colors its dumbed down so much that the falls of the system stick out like a sore thumb. You don't feel immersed in the world your playing in apart from some wacky environments.

Jez Says it the best.

I was a HUGE colors defender when it came out, but after the hype died I...just don't find colors as fun. Colors is the overall better game, but I bet if Unleashed was just Sonic Stages (with it DLC) and possibly more stages...people would understand a lot more where others are coming from. Colors is still a great game though...in fact I just gave my Wii and SC to a friend of mine cause he was so wowed by it lol.

Edited by Voyant

Yeah, I just finished it yesterday so I'm not fully done playing it, but I can't get over my frustration whenever that happened or when fighting the last boss and the quickstep won't register tossing you into the nega-blocks... I hated that boss.

Nega-cube cost me my S Rank. XD; But regardless Egg Nega Wisp is still one of my favourite boss fights in the entire franchise... in terms of final bosses, it's possibly my favourite. It's just you versus Eggman, using the mechanics that you've been using throughout the entire game, with an orchestra playing in the background that slowly transitions into the main theme as you get closer to the final hit. Double tap or not, I had such a huge grin on my face while playing that.

Unleashed replay value comes from the thrill ride factor (and it had amazing DLC)

Unleashed delivers like a Rollercoaster to the minds of some while Colors delivers more like a Mario game.

Unleashed may have had less platforming, but it made you feel like you were in control ALL the time you were playing.

In Colors its dumbed down so much that the falls of the system stick out like a sore thumb. You don't feel immersed in the world your playing in apart from some wacky environments.

Jez Says it the best.

I was a HUGE colors defender when it came out, but after the hype died I...just don't find colors as fun. Colors is the overall better game, but I bet if Unleashed was just Sonic Stages (with it DLC) and possibly more stages...people would understand a lot more where others are coming from. Colors is still a great game though...in fact I just gave my Wii and SC to a friend of mine cause he was so wowed by it lol.

That video made me happy.

I think I should state that I don't hate Colours even though I write down on it alot, I just think it's been getting far too much praise where as games that were better did not.

Nega-cube cost me my S Rank. XD; But regardless Egg Nega Wisp is still one of my favourite boss fights in the entire franchise... in terms of final bosses, it's possibly my favourite. It's just you versus Eggman, using the mechanics that you've been using throughout the entire game, with an orchestra playing in the background that slowly transitions into the main theme as you get closer to the final hit. Double tap or not, I had such a huge grin on my face while playing that.

I hated that you only got rings when you got a hit on Robotnik, with an on-rails that's just brutally evil. Also, homing attack sometimes were too slow to allow an hit.

Edited by Tobbii

Quick Add on to my last post...The grinding in Green Hill Zone and the way it was delivered was more exciting than any grinding I saw in Colors. Which tells you a lot.

All I'm saying is that I play Sonic Games cause I don't like Mario near as much as I like Sonic, so when Sonic starts to feel like Mario then of course I'm going to get bored with it fast.

Edited by Voyant