Awoo.

Concerns?

Blue Blood

I don't know if anyone's already pointed it out, but Classic doesn't seem to control exactly as we remember.

...To be honest, it isn't really a concern of mine though. From the look of it, SEGA have gone and improved what they already had- mainly by speeding him up.

Someone said that the Spindash can be done two ways, right? Either by stopping, holding down and then tapping A, OR, it can be done instantly by pressing X. His acceleration and top speed seem to have been increased as well.

...Which is good. It'll make him and Modern seem more like the same character.

I'm REALLY hoping the framerate will cruise at a consistent 60 fps. I mean, there are points in Unleashed PS3 where this happens, and trust me, it looks absolutely surreal! I would actually trade Super Sonic for this perk, I'm dead serious.

This.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, I hope Goldstein doesn't review it. Reviewers should be objective and fair based on the game itself... not based on the franchise's past failings.

I was worried about the "classic half is good, modern half is bad" perspective too. The second someone says that, I'm going to point out that the "good" half of Unleashed is the same type of gameplay as the "bad" half of Generations.

But really, it would be nice if people didn't play that card at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been looking over screen shots, and now all the initial hype has worn off the anti-aliasing problems are just looking more obvious. The textures look lovely straight on, but at angles they really do go blurry and lose their detail. It all looks find in motion, the point of a Sonic game and especially the case for M.Sonic, but still. I can't help but be a little disappointed with what we're seeing right now.

AntiAli.png

^just looking at that Screenshot,makes me realise how detailed everything is. Mario 3DS might be best plattformer this year, but Gen no doubt the prettiest.

I've just been looking over screen shots, and now all the initial hype has worn off the anti-aliasing problems are just looking more obvious. The textures look lovely straight on, but at angles they really do go blurry and lose their detail. It all looks find in motion, the point of a Sonic game and especially the case for M.Sonic, but still. I can't help but be a little disappointed with what we're seeing right now.

AntiAli.png

This is one of the early screenshots. I highly doube that they leave it like that. Especialy because they have seen the screenshot.

I gues they are in the debug phase already. I am sure they will fix this.

Edit:

You can't spell "ignorant" without IGN!!

Sorry that was necessary... lol

Edited by Ovi Kintobor 244

SEGA Germany said that it's still an Alpha Build, so yeah.

Edited by ChikaBoing

AntiAli.png

They might add the antitropic filtring (or whatever its called), because its still miles away from release. Of course they've got to worry about framerate. I mean all of Sonic's stages are juggernauts. Many, MANY times bigger than any level in any platformer ever. That's mostly due to Sonic being faster than any platformer in existance (in fact Unleashed sometimes gets faster than most Racing games). It ain't perfect, but it should do, given that you won't stop to look at any of the textures for any considerable period of time.

I think Sonic games will only really start topping other games in the visual department, when consoles are powerful enough to handle rendering enormous stages with high poly-textures with many graphical enhancements, and still maintain a 60Hz framerate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

They might add the antitropic filtring (or whatever its called), because its still miles away from release. Of course they've got to worry about framerate. I mean all of Sonic's stages are juggernauts. Many, MANY times bigger than any level in any platformer ever. That's mostly due to Sonic being faster than any platformer in existance (in fact Unleashed sometimes gets faster than most Racing games). It ain't perfect, but it should do, given that you won't stop to look at any of the textures for any considerable period of time.

To those worrying about the framerate and antialiasing, we've only seen the PS3 version. I'm pretty sure the 360 version will run more smoothly, as was the case with Unleashed.

To those worrying about the framerate and antialiasing, we've only seen the PS3 version. I'm pretty sure the 360 version will run more smoothly, as was the case with Unleashed.

I've not seen any worries about the framerate. With Unleashed though that was because the the PS3 version had a framrate capped at 60 and the 360 had it capped at 30 instead. That's the only reason one was any smoother than the other.

Yep. They should have learned their lesson last time but it seems the PS3 version is attempting 60fps again. The 360 version will probably be superior once more.

I love the moments where it runs at 60fps, but they're few and far between. Moments like Chun-nan's hub world running at 10fps aren't enough of a trade-off to me personally.

I think its safe to assume that both versions are gonna be better than Unleashed. Especially since the PS3 version is seemingly the lead development platform now (Every video and screenshot features PS3 buttons. Unleashed had 360 buttons during development, hence why it was the lead platform then). With the PS3 being the lead platform now, its possible to have both versions be almost identical instead of trying to stretch a port from 360 like they used to do in 2008.

Hard to say how the framerate will be affected. All the videos show that the gameplay looks fine.

I think its safe to assume that both versions are gonna be better than Unleashed. Especially since the PS3 version is seemingly the lead development platform now (Every video and screenshot features PS3 buttons. Unleashed had 360 buttons during development, hence why it was the lead platform then). With the PS3 being the lead platform now, its possible to have both versions be almost identical instead of trying to stretch a port from 360 like they used to do in 2008.

Hard to say how the framerate will be affected. All the videos show that the gameplay looks fine.

I think its hard to judge framerate based on the videos we've seen because the framerate of videos themselves may be lower than the actual gameplay. So if the game is running at 60FPS and drops to 30FPS at some point were not going to notice a drop if the video itself is running at 30FPS the whole time.

If anyone knows of any gameplay videos that we know are displaying at 60FPS then it probably is a nonissue at this point.

Well okay, I've been positive enough at this game. I need to actually get one complaint in, I mean, what kind of Sonic fan would I be if I didn't right?

I'm not sure I like the Kill-enemies-for-boost thing from Colours, it worked there due to mixing it up with White Wisps here and there, but I think Unleashed's ring-boost works better for a non-Wisp game.

You guys have to realize that SEGA cannot make Sonic Colours level design in Sonic Generations for Modern Sonic...there's NO Wisps in this game. Sonic has only got his moveset from Unleashed, so it makes sense that it plays like Unleashed and not Colours. Besides, there are alternate path in the game.

The only way SEGA can actually counter overuse of the Boost, is to put less rings in the stage...which is what they are doing.

Well okay, I've been positive enough at this game. I need to actually get one complaint in, I mean, what kind of Sonic fan would I be if I didn't right?

I'm not sure I like the Kill-enemies-for-boost thing from Colours, it worked there due to mixing it up with White Wisps here and there, but I think Unleashed's ring-boost works better for a non-Wisp game.

For that there are less Rings in Generations... If you compare this with Unleashed, there are alot less Rings. :P

For that there are less Rings in Generations... If you compare this with Unleashed, there are alot less Rings. :P

AKA "Playing through Arid Sands Act 1 without taking a hit holy crap I have 800 rings this is crazy"

You can amass a ton in Rooftop Run Act 1 too. Incredible how many rings there were in some of the stages.

You could take out enemies for boost in Unleashed (both versions), and you still collect rings for boost in Generations. Watch the gameplay footage closely.

You could take out enemies for boost in Unleashed (both versions), and you still collect rings for boost in Generations. Watch the gameplay footage closely.

You're right, my complaint is now gone and I'm back to being far too positive. Awesome! :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

• 2 weeks later...

*new videos on GameTrailers.

I used to be concerned that M.Sonic's stages would be really bland. Not any more! :D

For me they just look like an extra that doesn't "suck" like the werehog or any other gameplay style did so i'm happy to have it. Besides, in the trailer I actually saw some potential for the modern gameplay in the more platforming oriented sections. I loved that

Edit: Oh Ninja'd :P Interactive is the better word yeah!

Edited by Jaouad