Awoo.

Time to discuss the plot! Already!

Diquro

How could I forget Sonic kissing himself to bring himself back to life??? It turns out I wouldn't make a good scriptwriter after all. :( Not to mention I can't invent such brilliant lines as the one in my signature. :lol:

It would be nice to get some more lines like this. Especially from Eggman. It proves that his high IQ value is high only because of his mathematical skills :P"Not just a race, but a special race, to see who's the fastest!" :lol: it's brilliant!

In the end both Classic Robotnik and Classic Sonic die in an explosion, with both Modern Sonic and Eggman still surviving, however they're still in Classic Sonic's world, therefore Modern Sonic has to get used to this world's physics and travel through familiar zones in order to defeat Modern Eggman.

Oh wait...

Haha, that means Generations is the prequel to Sonic 4 and the reason why there's no classic Sonic! xD (+1 REP)

• Thumbs Up 3

But in terms of the lessons we considered while making Sonic Generations, I'd have to say that it was making a well-paced action game, in which the pure action experience - rather than the story - is the central focus.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right, so, it's a video game and gameplay is important. But that doesn't mean the story can't be good. I am LOVING Generations so far, but I wonder how seriously this statement should be taken. It seems a bit contradictory to me, considering Generations has already been implied to have a plot.

Right, so, it's a video game and gameplay is important. But that doesn't mean the story can't be good. I am LOVING Generations so far, but I wonder how seriously this statement should be taken. It seems a bit contradictory to me, considering Generations has already been implied to have a plot.

If you want a serious story then go play an RPG, watch HBO or read a book.

This is Sonic. Fun, goofy, cool, simplistic Sonic. Not Final Fantasy.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic Adventure 1-2 completely disprove this. I very loved Sonic not only for the gameplay, but for the storyline too. Yes, it's not Final Fantasy and I don't want so long story as in FF, but when I playing in SA series, It was very interesting for me to know temper of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, I was very glad to know Eggman in SA2 like a man which has serious feelings, not stupid clown like he was in Sonic Unleashed and Colors. The ending of SA2 very deep touched me, that was great for the arcade. I really want Sega to develop temper of well-known characters instead of introducing new on one game. I don’t know what storyline will be in Generations but I don’t have good feelings about that. It may create a bunch of new contradictions with this try to satisfy all.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Or maybe they're going to focus on the gameplay for a change instead of trying to revive an arc that;s over 10 years old. Sa1, and SA2 is over, its done finito, It was cool for its time, but we've moved on now.

• Thumbs Up 4

It doesn't matter that they was 10 years ago. S3 was 16 years ago and Sega now fully reviving this series.
They've made/are making one (thus far) poorly received downloadable game. That's hardly a full revival.

And if I already saw big serious story I have all rights to require this in the future like classic fans have all rights to require classic physics in S4.
No, you really don't. Insisting on the return of the gameplay that defined this series, the gameplay that made it popular in the first place, in a game meant to be a direct sequel to those series-defining games, and insisting on making the story of some arbitrary entry in the series like a few games you happened to like, are not the same thing.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

No, you really don't. Insisting on the return of the gameplay that defined this series, the gameplay that made it popular in the first place, in a game meant to be a direct sequel to those series-defining games, and insisting on making the story of some arbitrary entry in the series like a few games you happened to like, are not the same thing.

Well, thinking about it, they do. Sort of.

Like the classics have their physics that need to be retained for Sonic 4, I suppose you could argue that, if Sonic Team were to do another Sonic Adventure, then a serious story would be a requirement of that?

Of course, Sonic Team aren't going to do another Sonic Adventure, and personally, the lighter take on the series that Unleashed and Colours brought are just what it needs.

Like the classics have their physics that need to be retained for Sonic 4, I suppose you could argue that, if Sonic Team were to do another Sonic Adventure, then a serious story would be a requirement of that?

Prediction: In the final cutscene we'll see Classic Sonic come out of his Super form and his eyes will have turned green.

Prediction: In the final cutscene we'll see Classic Sonic come out of his Super form and his eyes will have turned green.

Didn't Super Sonic have green eyes in Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Didn't Super Sonic have green eyes in Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

I believe it was red. I think he had red eyes in super form his whole lifespam.

I don't believe for a second they're going to try to explain any of the differences between classic and modern, except maybe just as a matter of age. There's no logical answer for some of it, plus I'm pretty sure classic fans would actually riot if classic changed into modern before their eyes.

I believe it was red. I think he had red eyes in super form his whole lifespam.
Nope! They were black in Sonic 2 and green in S3&K.

They've made/are making one (thus far) poorly received downloadable game. That's hardly a full revival.

S4 - not only one game. Sonic Generations reviving this too.

These "few games I happened to like" were the first Sonic 3D games, the games that borned new big line of Sonic games like S1,2,3 borned 2D line of the games. And if classic series easy to continue because this is another line, this new line which was born by Adventure is main line of the game, not spin-off like storybook series. I didn't say anything about if they were making another Adventure because any 3D main game released after SA2 is basically continue of this line and it don't must obligatory contain "Adventure" in the name.

Of course, Sonic Team aren't going to do another Sonic Adventure, and personally, the lighter take on the series that Unleashed and Colours brought are just what it needs.

If this is what it needs why so many people like SA1-2 plot and other games that continues it?

And even aside from any specific games being made, the people arguing for the classic physics/gameplay have a stronger argument, since gameplay is the primary element of a game.

Yes, but not only one. I'm already told that I and many fans like first 3D games not only for gameplay but for the storyline too which strongly enriched Sonic world in compare with Unleashed and Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yes, but not only one. I'm already told that I and many fans like first 3D games not only for gameplay but for the storyline too which strongly enriched Sonic world in compare with Unleashed and Colors.

No Unleashed had a much more "enriched" world than SA2 ever had. There were many places to go to. Each of the places had different cultures. There were also subplots within each hubworld between characters. Each culture has its own cuisine. There are also items that are unique to each location. I know some people don't like it because its too in line with the real world, but the fact of the matter is, that Unleashed had a far more enriched plot than SA2 did in that sense.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 4

And let us not forget SA2's gaping plotholes, folks. I think Unleashed was a bit more solid, from what I can remember.

There's no logical answer for some of it, plus I'm pretty sure classic fans would actually riot if classic changed into modern before their eyes.

I know there would be a hilarious amount of fan rage, but I still think it would be a fitting end to the game.

Besides, the general consensus among fans does seem to be that if there's any explanation for the eye color change it'd be extended exposure to Chaos energy.

I'm really curious to see some cutscenes with Modern Sonic talking to his Classic self, the only response being Oshima poses xD

Because of nostalgia. I mean Sa2's plot isn't groud breaking or anything, its just darker is all, and games like Colors and Unleashed are reminding everybody that the series isn't supposed to be plot heavy, and no amount of waniting another Adventure game will change that.

And even so, how does Sa2's plot count as being better than Unleashed's? They're both about new characters who have a mysterious past, and end up sacrificing themselves in the end, the only real difference is that Unleashed takes itself a lot less seriously, which is why I say its the better game of the two.

It was not only darker. I began my posts in this topic from disagree, telling about that Sonic is not goofy and simplistic. And SA1-2 shows that. That games has very more sense than Unleashed (no speaking about Colors). Yes, SA2 and SU has new characters who have a mysterious past, and sacrificing themselves in the end, but Shadow's story much not so simple as Chip's, and SA2 is more touching. For me (and big group of fans) this is very more interesting. For SU that is almost all worthy. For SA2 beside that (and in addition to the next quote) SA2 gave us Knuckles and Rouge which is beloved by many fans. Both of them are characters with own interesting tempers. It gave us Eggman not only playing role of main villain which must be in game with main hero. It showed him as a man, telling about his past. It gave us independent Tails which can by himself fight Eggman and defeat him, not only making machines for Sonic, watching for him and being protected by him.

Those same stories are also what made people quit the sonic franchise, Sa2 led to Shadow, which led to 06, which sucked balls. It wasn't until Unleashed when people started respecting the franchise again.

S06 was bad not because of Shadow. This game was bad because it was not completed and incompleted game will always bad no matter S06 or Unleashed it will be with Hedgehog's Engine in it.

No Unleashed had a much more "enriched" world than SA2 ever had. There were many places to go to. Each of the places had different cultures. There were also subplots within each hubworld between characters. Each culture has its own cuisine. There are also items that are unique to each location. I know some people don't like it because its too in line with the real world, but the fact of the matter is, that Unleashed had a far more enriched plot than SA2 did in that sense.

Yes, this is plus that every adventure field has subplots. I also noticed this. But SA1-2 deep show us the tempers of main characters which is more worthy for the franchise.

Edited by Sanek ULF
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It was not only darker. I began my posts in this topic from disagree, telling about that Sonic is not goofy and simplistic. And SA1-2 shows that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It was not only darker. I began my posts in this topic from disagree, telling about that Sonic is not goofy and simplistic. And SA1-2 shows that. That games has very more sense than Unleashed (no speaking about Colors). Yes, SA2 and SU has new characters who have a mysterious past, and sacrificing themselves in the end, but Shadow's story much not so simple as Chip's, and SA2 is more touching. For me (and big group of fans) this is very more interesting. For SU that is almost all worthy. For SA2 beside that (and in addition to the next quote) SA2 gave us Knuckles and Rouge which is beloved by many fans. Both of them are characters with own interesting tempers. It gave us Eggman not only playing role of main villain which must be in game with main hero. It showed him as a man, telling about his past. It gave us independent Tails which can by himself fight Eggman and defeat him, not only making machines for Sonic, watching for him and being protected by him.