Awoo.

Unleashed 2..

Daisoku

I had a similar idea Xavi. I had this awesome long daydream once which started Sonic off in the Green Hill Zone, after Eggman as usual, but half way through the level, you run into Rouge saying she's investigating some ancient thingy in these caves. You can either continue after Eggman or take a route to a different goal ring via the caves.

If you continue after Eggman you fight him as a boss and he scarpers off into some ruins, when Tails appears and tells you something's wrong on Angel Island. Chase Eggman or go with Tails?

Etc etc.

I'd love a Sonic game with alternate routes like that, as long as they're alternate routes and not Shadow style boring "kill all the enemies" missions. I mean, "kill lots of the enemies" or "kill all the enemies with an arrow to show you were the last few are" are fine, but, bargh.

A way to solve that would be to integrate the extra missions with the main one. Let's say once you finish the level once a tick list of new goals becomes available and on subsequent playthroughs you can choose to try and finish any that you like.

So for example the main goal for every stage would be: 'Reach The Goal Ring!', then after completing that these missions would become available:

'Collect 150 Rings!'

'Find 5 Sonic Medals!'

'Reach The Goal In 3 Minutes And 30 Seconds!'

'Defeat 70 Enemies!'

Said missions can be completed in any order you like and as many as you want, so if you like you can try the 'Collect 150 Rings!' and the 'Find 5 Sonic Medals!' missions both at the same time, however each would still require fulfilling the main goal 'Reach The Goal Ring!' to achieve completion.

My game idea also featured the use of optional characters which join you depending on your 'alignment', so Tails and Knuckles would become available a various points with their flight, power and glide abilities respectively giving them alternate routes to Sonic and also this could allow Robotnik to be playable in his walker like Sonic Adventure 2, say.

Storywise, if I may, I played around with this idea of a new group of Black Arms soldiers coming onto the scene which Sonic becomes aware of during a street battle between GUN and themselves. Basically it comes to light that Shadow is the new 'leader' of the Black Arms when he found an army of them in a sort of stasis within a tomb deep underground (hardly implausible considering Black Doom himself admitted transporting ruins to Earth over two thousand years previously). Basically after awaking the Black Arms Shadow discovered them to be confused and uncertain of what to do, with the destruction of Black Doom and the fact that he contains Black Doom's DNA the soldiers identify with him as their leader and since it was Shadow who destroyed Black Doom he feels obliged to try and order the troops to keep them out of danger. In fact, as Sonic discovers, it was Shadow's attempt to explain the situation to GUN which sparked the latter's sudden attack against the Black Arms soldiers due to them fearing the same destruction which was seen previously. Thus you have a very grown up and complicated situation where Shadow feels he must protect the soldiers he accidentally unleashed and Sonic is torn between who he should align with when he could sympathise with both; GUN trying to stop the potential destruction of their city against an already established threat, Shadow and the Black Arms simply defending themselves and all the while Eggman is secretly up to something which ought to be investigated. Herein lies the 'player's choice'.

I know idea is probably quite silly and far too 'dark' maybe for a Sonic game but I just loved the idea of using the Black Arms as more than just a straightforward evil army needing to be stopped and I thought it would be a fantastic use for Shadow's character and established backstory, he IS basically Black Dooms son after all so why not play off that idea?

^ To briefly entertain a near impossible idea such as that: I'd much rather see it in a Katamari game than Sonic. That would be magnificent.

Edited by JezMM

I have an idea of an Unleashed game connected to the Google Earth Server via online. Therefore we can have a game that's litterary in our world. If a new building being raised IRL, then we see it in the Sonic game too etc.

Ever thinking of Sonic run past through your hood?

Unfortunately for Sonic, the real world doesn't make great level design for a platforming game.

Unfortunately for Sonic, the real world doesn't make great level design for a platforming game.

Actually some of it does, but unfortunately for this idea, it's the parts that aren't detailed on any map.

• 2 weeks later...

"the werehog will return."

NO. Please, Sega, no. I'm begging you... no. I really do NOT want a repeat of Adabat in ANY future Sonic games.

Edited by Lukar

This may sound odd, but I wouldn't mind seeing wereforms for other characters. Were-Tails, Were-Knux, Were-Amy, that sort of thing.

This may sound odd, but I wouldn't mind seeing wereforms for other characters. Were-Tails, Were-Knux, Were-Amy, that sort of thing.

Your joking right? I mean were-sonic was ehh, but imagine a were-tails or knux.... *thinks HARD about it* Nope I just can't do it, and I don't think Sega is going to risk that.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Frankly, I kinda agree... though I highly doubt it'll be called "Sonic Unleashed 2."

Your joking right? I mean were-sonic was ehh, but imagine a were-tails or knux.... *thinks HARD about it* Nope I just can't do it, and I don't think Sega is going to risk that.

Well, I can kind of see Tails as a Nine Tails, at least. ;)

^ Frankly, I kinda agree... though I highly doubt it'll be called "Sonic Unleashed 2."

They'e gonna push their luck again and call it 'Sonic the Hedgehog'.

They'e gonna push their luck again and call it 'Sonic the Hedgehog'.

Or better yet, Sonic the Hedgehog: The Search for More Money.

Or better yet, Sonic the Hedgehog: The Search for More Money.

No, they're reserving that name for Sonic's next storybook spin-off.

No, they're reserving that name for Sonic's next storybook spin-off.

At least in that case, that's meant to be the idea.

• 4 months later...

What? The Werehog is returning?

Looks like SEGA's dragging the beast back from the fiery depths of hell for another shot - here we go again!

Seriously, if they actually decide to go ahead with the Werehog once more, then we will all know that the shit has finally hit the fan.

EDIT: I get a -REP point for making an impersonal joke? That's outrageous!

Edited by Hux Flux Deluxe
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

IIRC, in that interview, didn't the guy just say the return of the werehog was a possibility they were considering?

This is old news, no offense.

Didn't we all come to a conclusion, like over two and a quarter months ago, that this was extremely, terrible,and badly translated?

Christ, you'd think after a five month necropost that the bumper would at least have the common courtesy to read the thread properly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It wasn't that it was poorly translated, the problem with it is that the person they asked isn't part of the team who made Unleashed. It was speculation on his part.

• Thumbs Up 2

Christ, you'd think after a five month necropost that the bumper would at least have the common courtesy to read the thread properly.

It's recommended that you consider purchasing a dictionary; I think that you may need to look up the word "joke".

Can I not make a simple wisecrack on here without being personally attacked? Or are we turning into the Something Awful forums?

EDIT: ANOTHER -REP point? It's not like I don't know who's doing it, either...

Edited by Hux Flux Deluxe
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 5

It's recommended that you consider purchasing a dictionary; I think that you may need to look up the word "joke".

In that case, you might want to work on your delivery. It was terrible. Not that it helps that so many other people have made posts of almost the exact same nature and actually did expect to be taken seriously.

EDIT: ANOTHER -REP point? It's not like I don't know who's doing it, either...

Don't look at me, I don't pay any attention to this silly rep system in the first place. It's just plain silly.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Stop with the arguing. Hux Flux, you're acting really whiny and your grating attitude is getting on my nerves; I can't believe how people try to get out of things by saying "IT WAS A JOKE" for just about any situation and try to make the other person look like a jerk. Just shut up.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

• 2 months later...

To go back on topic...

I often hear that the Werehog at least 'may' return, but that's not clear if it means in a game or as a playable character in an All-Stars game or whatnot. I like him, I mean, I never hated the night time stages or the Werehog, the only thing I find wrong with Unleashed is the fact that you're bounced between the two. I'd be happy for him to return even in a 3D platform Sonic, if we had more control over when to play as him and his courses were a little shorter etc. It's Sonic Adventure 2 all over again really, where we didn't mind hunting for emerald pieces, we just didn't want to be forced to do it between running levels.

I always thought that, minus the stretchy arms, the Wegehog gameplay would work for Knuckles... Not that I'm against new ideas like the Werehog, but by using a separate character it would then be possible to play through the game in each gameplay style separately a la Sonic Adventure 1.

You know what I'd kinda like? What about a Sonic Heroes style 'switch' but with which you could transform between Sonic and Werehog at will, in order to get through the different parts of the level? I mean either Sonic has some way of transforming at will or perhaps could be in possession of some kind of medallion or something which instantly changes day to night?

Edited by DistantJ

Sonic & Knuckles Unleashed? ;) lol

I do like that idea though. Maybe not switching within levels, but an Act 1 (Sonic), Act 2 (Knuckles) approach with Knux playing as more of a fast paced beat 'em up. The Sonic levels being similar to Unleashed would make me happy, however I'd enjoy multiple paths.

As for Sonic Team's fear of the game being too short: f*** that. I'll take a great 2 hour game over a so-so 8 hour game. Hell, Sonic 1-3&K were short but fun and replayable. Why not emphasize time trials and difficulty modes to keep players playing?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As for Sonic Team's fear of the game being too short: f*** that. I'll take a great 2 hour game over a so-so 8 hour game. Hell, Sonic 1-3&K were short but fun and replayable. Why not emphasize time trials and difficulty modes to keep players playing?

Yeah, me too, but, understand, not everybody will. The biggest audience to aim for isn't us, it's casuals who buy purely from word of mouth, not reviews, usually teenagers without jobs, who don't want the £40 they saved up for like two months to go on something their friend told them was too short. Sonic 1-3K were in a different time, where we played most games in one sitting, things have changed...