Awoo.

Shadow's Personality

speedduelist

• 3 months later...

Your trope was marginally accurate in summarising the bulk of Shadow's personality. However, in one aspect, it is far from the truth. He has shown high levels of emotion. Shadow is clearly distressed during Sonic Battle and seems very depressed, and is clearly very fucking angry in Shadow the Hedgehog. The Stoic trope is someone who exhibits little-to-no emotional reaction irregardless of context. Shadow has shown large-scale emotional reactions and outbursts, especially in Shadow the hedgehog. It's not "I'm so angry I could kill someone" so much as "I'm so angry I will kill everyone, and do so in spectacular style on a huge scale."

No-one can deny his badassery, anyone who manages to kill their nemesis, then warp a giant comet in the path of a collosal canon, thereby not only saving Earth, but all but obliterating the Black Arms' hordes, deserves praise.

Edited by Enraged Psycho

Your trope was marginally accurate in summarising the bulk of Shadow's personality. However, in one aspect, it is far from the truth. He has shown high levels of emotion. Shadow is clearly distressed during Sonic Battle and seems very depressed, and is clearly very fucking angry in Shadow the Hedgehog. The Stoic trope is someone who exhibits little-to-no emotional reaction irregardless of context. Shadow has shown large-scale emotional reactions and outbursts, especially in Shadow the hedgehog. It's not "I'm so angry I could kill someone" so much as "I'm so angry I will kill everyone, and do so in spectacular style on a huge scale."

No-one can deny his badassery, anyone who manages to kill their nemesis, then warp a giant comet in the path of a collosal canon, thereby not only saving Earth, but all but obliterating the Black Arms' hordes, deserves praise.

I never said, he doesn't show emotion completely. When it comes to Shadow he tends to keep his emotions on a tight leach, but when he does emote its a lot more signifigant, because its so unlike him.

The old statement that "Shadow tends to act without letting emotions get in the way" (that inevitably show up in fanmade character profiles) is completely of the mark. I mean, what was his reason for trying to destroy the world in SA2 supposed to be based on if not emotion? There sure as hell didn't seem to be any rationality behind it. Shadow thought Maria had told him to kill a whole lot of people (apparently not considering whether a friend who wishes something like that is a friend worth listening to in the first place, but oh well) and felt that he should try to make his best friends wish come true, and also felt a general loathing of mankind.

On another note, i wonder what Sonic would do if his best friend (you know, Tails) laid dying in his arms and whispered "Sonic, as my dying wish, i want you to... KILL AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE! BURN THEM! MAKE THEM SUFFER!". I kinda suspect that ol' blue wouldn't comply, but boy, what fun it would be if he did! :)

Honestly, I don't even want to see Shadow in something like Colors storywise.

Honestly, I don't even want to see Shadow in something like Colors storywise.

What? Why not? we already went into great detail why he can fit, and how hilarious his interactions would be.

Honestly I would've found Colors a lot more funnier if it starred Shadow.

What? Why not? we already went into great detail why he can fit, and how hilarious his interactions would be.

Honestly I would've found Colors a lot more funnier if it starred Shadow.

I have no desire to see Shadow turn into a comedian item really. There's really nothing else to it.

I have no desire to see Shadow turn into a comedian item really. There's really nothing else to it.

You're basing your assumptions on something irrelevant. Who said anything about turning Shadow into a comdian? The idea of putting him in Colors is to see him take the absurd situations so seriously, that its funny.

And where is this assumption that "If its like Colors, they're bad comdians"? You automatically assume if that if there is another story that is like Colors, how do you know that? The answer you don't.

Who knows what the next story will bring, but don't make any assumptions based on one game.

You're basing your assumptions on something irrelevant. Who said anything about turning Shadow into a comdian? The idea of putting him in Colors is to see him take the absurd situations so seriously, that its funny.

And where is this assumption that "If its like Colors, they're bad comdians"? You automatically assume if that if there is another story that is like Colors, how do you know that? The answer you don't.

Who knows what the next story will bring, but don't make any assumptions based on one game.

I just don't absolutely need to see Shadow in something like Colors storywise. I really have no desire to see him be funny. It's obvious that Shadow was created with no intention to be funny. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying I don't absolutely want to see if it works. Infact, I don't wanna ever see anything like Colors storywise again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

On another note, i wonder what Sonic would do if his best friend (you know, Tails) laid dying in his arms and whispered "Sonic, as my dying wish, i want you to... KILL AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE! BURN THEM! MAKE THEM SUFFER!". I kinda suspect that ol' blue wouldn't comply, but boy, what fun it would be if he did! :)

You know. I think he'd actually probably be conflicted about that. I don't think he'd actually go THROUGH with it obviously, but he might at least take it into consideration. And at least wonder if Tails was thinking clearly at the moment, or if it was even really him that said it. Hell, he could've been under some form of mind control or something at that moment. Heck, maybe if Sonic is angry enough about Tails' death, he might actually go through with it... at least, partway until he has that "My God, what have I done?!" moment of realization.

But enough of that. That seems more like something that'd happen in a fanfiction (mostly like a bad one) anyway. Though, it still is interesting to wonder...

I think he should have a pragmatic demeanor and a cynical sense of humor.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't absolutely need to see Shadow in something like Colors storywise. I really have no desire to see him be funny. It's obvious that Shadow was created with no intention to be funny. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying I don't absolutely want to see if it works. Infact, I don't wanna ever see anything like Colors storywise again.

Dude. The series taking itself too seriously is why most people rag on this franchise now, Shadow is one of those reasons, by actually showing he can be funny, I bet you people would lighten up about him.

If it can work for Batman, I don't see why it can't work for Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Dude. The series taking itself too seriously is why most people rag on this franchise now, Shadow is one of those reasons, by actually showing he can be funny, I bet you people would lighten up about him.

If it can work for Batman, I don't see why it can't work for Shadow.

"cuz shadow suppozed 2 b hardcore man! he got no time for kiddy gamez liek colourzz! he should only star in dark and deep titlez like sonic 06!1!! woooot!11!11"

In all seriousness though, Shadow really could benefit in starring in a game like Colours. After all, the reason people hate him so much is because the games seem to take him too seriously, it definately wouldn't hurt to see him in more comedic situations.

I just don't think Shadow even needs to be in a comedic situation. I happen to like him just the way he is. If people want comedic like characters, there's the Sonic fangirl(Amy), the laughable detective agency (The Chaotix), and the red echidna they've unfortunately evolved into a bonehead. I think the way you see Shadow in something like Colors would kind of be an insult to the character, as it'd make him look like a total idiot to take the situation in Colors seriously. Honestly, they've already degraded Knuckles, I don't really wanna see them do the same to Shadow, when he's already one of the most well written characters in the series.

I got this one, gaiz.

I just don't think Shadow even needs to be in a comedic situation. I happen to like him just the way he is. If people want comedic like characters, there's the Sonic fangirl(Amy), the laughable detective agency (The Chaotix), and the red echidna they've unfortunately evolved into a bonehead. I think the way you see Shadow in something like Colors would kind of be an insult to the character, as it'd make him look like a total idiot to take the situation in Colors seriously.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Every character bar Tails, Sonic, and Eggman are in a shitty rut. To say otherwise is both being in denial and likely showing favoritism of the character.

With all due respect, Chaos, you can't state that as fact.

Fictional storylines are a work of art, and all art is subjective. For every person who groaned at the cliché in Shadow the Hedgehog, there's probably someone out there who loved it. And I'm very pleased that you and Shadic enjoyed a lengthy conversation about characterisation, but the conclusions you reached are merely opinions... and unless you actually wrote the scripts for the videogames in question, I'm afraid your opinions are no more valid than anybody else on this forum.

Please play fair. I'm all for a healthy debate, but the entirety of your last post came across as (I'm sorry to say) arrogant and vicious. Now, I have a wealth of opinion to share with this topic, given my recent undertaking of a Shadow-centric storyline in my fan fiction, but I respect others and hold no illusion of cold, hard fact over the situations I write.

Live and let live, okay? :)

Every character bar Tails, Sonic, and Eggman are in a shitty rut. To say otherwise is both being in denial and likely showing favoritism of the character.

What about Espio? He seems to be fine. And as of Colors DS, I'd say the rest of the Chaotix, too. And Blaze? I think the one character who truly is in a rut is Amy.

I think Shadow should be like he was in Free Riders. He was just a dick and that fits.

Edited by marcellof

Regarding my general thought's on Shadow's personality, i for one can't get over the "sociopathic asshole" aspect of the character. Like, how he is supposed to come of as a hero despite of that. I realize that this criticism is criticism aimed more or less at anti-heroes in general as much as at Shadow in particular, but Shadow is the main anti-hero in the Sonic franchise and that's what we are here to talk about, so yeah.

Anyway, there are of course other assholes in the Sonic rooster, like Eggman and Metal Sonic. But they're antagonists. Shadow on the other hand is a protagonist, and we are supposed to be rooting for him. And i for one find it hard to get behind a guy who once tried to destroy the world and then when he got amnesia proved himself to be willing to do whatever immoral actions were required to regain his memories.

Doing morally questionable things such as killing in order to achieve some greater good is one thing, but doing it purely for your own sake? That's just being a big fat dick. And i know that Shadow has moved on since and actually seems to have become one of those heroes who does whatever needs to be done to help other people (as opposed to just himself), but that doesn't retcon away his past attempted atrocities. And it also annoys me that the good guys never calls him out on his past deeds. They all seem to be like "yeah sure, he tried to kill everyone in the world and thereby do something that not even our worst enemy Eggman would ever do, but he seems cool now so i guess hes alright! let's hang out! :) ".

I guess that what would make Shadow work as a likable protagonist for me would be to have him either show some real remorse for his past (yes i realize this would mean at least a temporary return of "emo Shadow", but oh well), or at least have a few more "pet the dog" moments where we get to more clearly see that he has become a completely different person than his old psychopathic self.

Edited by batson

With all due respect, Chaos, you can't state that as fact.

I'm pretty sure I can considering how Sonic Team has yet to actually fix a lot of the damage they've done to said characters since Sonic 06. Even the spin-off titles haven't put a dent in fixing them, since most people choose to disregard them as not being canon, however foolish you may find that.

Fictional storylines are a work of art, and all art is subjective. For every person who groaned at the cliché in Shadow the Hedgehog, there's probably someone out there who loved it.

I can enjoy a cliché too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to up and overstate it as having great characterization.

And on the flip side, I can hate something that I think is poorly done, but doesn't mean I want it out. Case in point, Big the Cat. He's my most hated character, but let me hear the words "kill him off" and you'll get a fiery defense of the character from me.

And I'm very pleased that you and Shadic enjoyed a lengthy conversation about characterisation, but the conclusions you reached are merely opinions... and unless you actually wrote the scripts for the videogames in question, I'm afraid your opinions are no more valid than anybody else on this forum.

Okay dude, not trying to be mean, but can it with the whole "it's your opinion" shtick because it doesn't get anyone anywhere. If you want to critique it another way, bring it on, I'm ready to debate. But stating that "it's your opinion" as if no one here is aware of that doesn't help any debate at all.

Having an opinion does not protect anyone from another's criticism and alternative ideas, and to throw out the opinion card in defense of said criticism only serves to invalidate the entire debate as a whole because it winds up hindering criticism and limits the debate.

Please play fair. I'm all for a healthy debate, but the entirety of your last post came across as (I'm sorry to say) arrogant and vicious.

Yeah, I was being vicious and arrogant, because I'm a vicious and arrogant person. I make no attempt to hide that. 5 years on a message board of people going at each other's throats can do that to someone, and it keeps me from being a pushover. :P

But if it's one thing I'm not, it's unfair, and I would challenge you to go through all 3000+ posts of mine to find anything that would be considered unfair. If you want to talk about fairness, let's try not being so one-sided in where a character can and can't work. Like the claim of Shadow not being able to fit in a plot like Colors. If Shadow could get away and work in a game like Heroes, which is by far the cheesiest Sonic game known, it's pretty hard not to see Shadow working in a game like Colors.

Not to mention that RidersDX said that Sonic Team have degraded Knuckles while making Shadow a well-written character. Now why in the world did you not get onto him for being unfair to Knuckles and treating Shadow as a much better character when they both have serious faults to them, but you got on to me for saying that they're no better than each other and every other character besides Sonic, Tails and Eggman? :huh:

Now, I have a wealth of opinion to share with this topic, given my recent undertaking of a Shadow-centric storyline in my fan fiction, but I respect others and hold no illusion of cold, hard fact over the situations I write.

I didn't know being brutally honest was also being disrespectful. :lol:

EDIT: Also, what's with the bolding of our names?

I got this one, gaiz.

Sound pretty fanboyish and ignorant if you ask me.

Me, Shadic, and various other people have already gone through a discussion of how Shadow could benefit being in a game like colors in a topic that lasted 17 pages. Needless to say, we're confident that you aren't even looking at the idea as a whole and rather trying to keep a character in a very static position.

I'm a little pressed on time, but I know Shadic would be eager enough to point you to the topic. We studied the issue quite a bit, and came up with several paths that can work with the charactee.

Well written? If ShTH is anything to go by, he was already degraded the same was as Knuckles was. The only difference is that they neglected parts of Knux character while adding exrta junk to Shadow. But there is a route for recovery regarding him and Rad Red himself.

Ya know what, I enjoyed the story of Shadow the Hedgehog. I loved the way they characterized Shadow in it, minus giving him guns and vehicles anyway. But those objects weren't a part of the story overall, he never held a gun in a cutscene besides the opening movie. I loved alot of the cutscenes in SHTH and I just can't see why some people despise it. Black Doom being the father of Shadow is not a bad thing at all in my opinion. It actually proved that no matter where Shadow comes from, he was willing to do the right thing. And that's something I just loved about what they did with him in ShTH. There were quite a few scenes where I was very touched by Shadow, like scenes with Maria, and maybe this one in particular.

Look, I KNOW Shadow can work in a comedic situation, but what I'm saying is I have absolutely no desire to see him worked into something he wasn't meant to be worked into in the first place. If Sega wants to, they can, but MY OPINION is that I rather they just not try. You make it seem like I don't think he can work in Colors, but I know he can. I just don't want to see that product, cause unlike many others, I enjoy the deep backstory and Shadow and his character in the Sonic series. In a story like Colors, it wouldn't allow any of those parts of him to shine, because a story like Colors doesn't allow deep characterization. A story like Colors would make fun of him actually.

Why can't Shadow be serious and funny.

Why must he be a 1-dimension character. If he shows that he can be sarchastic, witty, humourous, then its better for the character. It makes him more beleivable.

It makes him a character. "Stoic" and "Badass" are not character traits in and of themselves, they are more a by product of actual character traits.

Being cool and level-headed in a very tense situation. Completeing incredibly stressful tasks with precision and flair.

A bomb-disposal/defusing expert is what one would consider to be badass. He has the task of defusing bombs, knowing that should he mess up, even slightly, him and his crew are dead. Yet they continue to do that job and never crack under that enormous pressure. That is badass, but does that mean he's a serious person who doesn't make jokes, and is always quiet, and never shows any emotion? FUCK NO.

I want Shadow to be badass because of what he does, rather than pretending to be badass, with the stereotypical "stoic" bullshit that infests the internet.

There is definately more room for additional development. Shadow doesn't have to be in rediculous slapstick gags, his humour may be portrayed through sarchasm, satire and wit. Who's to say the Colours' level of slapstick will even return? It seemed like a one-game deal, because it suited the tone of the game.

I'm all for the multi-dimensional development of Shadow. I'm not the type who wants Shadow to remain one of those "Stoic", "Badass" steretypes. It has become far to cliche at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ya know what, I enjoyed the story of Shadow the Hedgehog. I loved the way they characterized Shadow in it, minus giving him guns and vehicles anyway. But those objects weren't a part of the story overall, he never held a gun in a cutscene besides the opening movie.

I wasn't even referring to the guns. More so the script and portrayal, such as the use of foul language that this series was no where near ready to have (and of which Shadow used the most of), the incoherence of the "what if" situations that although they show the possible paths Shadow could've taken, did not match up with the actual story the game was going for most of the time, and the overall additional junk that was used as an attempt to help rediscover Shadow's path which was really uncalled for.

The biggest offender would probably be the neglect in explaining how Shadow survived, which also includes Heroes into the mix in terms of bad writing.

I loved alot of the cutscenes in SHTH and I just can't see why some people despise it. Black Doom being the father of Shadow is not a bad thing at all in my opinion. It actually proved that no matter where Shadow comes from, he was willing to do the right thing. And that's something I just loved about what they did with him in ShTH. There were quite a few scenes where I was very touched by Shadow, like scenes with Maria, and maybe this one in particular.

Because despite them attempting to rediscover Shadow's path, they did something completely different and added to it instead, and as a result we got an overly convoluted and shallow plot that could've been handled much better than it was.

Look, I KNOW Shadow can work in a comedic situation, but what I'm saying is I have absolutely no desire to see him worked into something he wasn't meant to be worked into in the first place.

There's nothing that a character can't be worked into provided that the traits of the character and writing of the plot can work in favor of the character. To say he wasn't meant to be worked into something prevents a character from trying to become more dimensional, which could really benefit the character.

A character should be treated as a character, not an archetype or stereotype with little variation. That would help to have people become even more interested in him when he is more dynamic as a result.

I just don't want to see that product, cause unlike many others, I enjoy the deep backstory and Shadow and his character in the Sonic series.

Well I happen to enjoy a good plot. It doesn't matter what the backstory is, what the tone is, etc., if it's well written and fits within the context being presented, there's not a lot of fault I could find in something like that.

Unfortunately, that can't be said for games like ShTH or Heroes, and is debatable at worse with games like Colors.

In a story like Colors, it wouldn't allow any of those parts of him to shine, because a story like Colors doesn't allow deep characterization. A story like Colors would make fun of him actually.

Like he was in ShTH? What if the events in Colors were something for Shadow to make fun of? Haven't you ever thought of something like that?

Why can't Shadow be serious and funny.

Why must he be a 1-dimension character. If he shows that he can be sarchastic, witty, humourous, then its better for the character. It makes him more beleivable.

It makes him a character. "Stoic" and "Badass" are not character traits in and of themselves, they are more a by product of actual character traits.

Being cool and level-headed in a very tense situation. Completeing incredibly stressful tasks with precision and flair.

A bomb-disposal/defusing expert is what one would consider to be badass. He has the task of defusing bombs, knowing that should he mess up, even slightly, him and his crew are dead. Yet they continue to do that job and never crack under that enormous pressure. That is badass, but does that mean he's a serious person who doesn't make jokes, and is always quiet, and never shows any emotion? FUCK NO.

I want Shadow to be badass because of what he does, rather than pretending to be badass, with the stereotypical "stoic" bullshit that infests the internet.

There is definately more room for additional development. Shadow doesn't have to be in rediculous slapstick gags, his humour may be portrayed through sarchasm, satire and wit. Who's to say the Colours' level of slapstick will even return? It seemed like a one-game deal, because it suited the tone of the game.

I'm all for the multi-dimensional development of Shadow. I'm not the type who wants Shadow to remain one of those "Stoic", "Badass" steretypes. It has become far to cliche at this point.

I don't group all those facts into one dimensional. I consider Shadow's anger from ShTH a dimension. His wanting to do what's right another. His calmness in tense situations another. His caring for his friends another. He's not just some emo guy that doesn't show tons of emotion, infact, he can be cocky too like he was in SA2. Why does Shadow need to make people laugh now? He's already got tons of dimensions.

I wasn't even referring to the guns. More so the script and portrayal, such as the use of foul language that this series was no where near ready to have (and of which Shadow used the most of), the incoherence of the "what if" situations that although they show the possible paths Shadow could've taken, did not match up with the actual story the game was going for most of the time, and the overall additional junk that was used as an attempt to help rediscover Shadow's path which was really uncalled for.

The biggest offender would probably be the neglect in explaining how Shadow survived, which also includes Heroes into the mix in terms of bad writing.

I didn't really mind the swearing, it's not even a major part of the story. When I watch the cutscnes in Shadow's game, I don't usually pay attention to the swear words. Although, I do admit they're awkwardly placed at times.

So you want a linear story? I feel the way they made those addition what if scenes was an awesome feature. I love to see what Shadow could've done if hie chose different paths. What's wrong with seeing his characterizations in paths that are not even real? Just because it's not the truth doesn't mean it wasn't done well. I enjoyed the freedom on the game storywise, it was a unique feature and seemed perfect for Shadow.

And I blame that on Heroes, not ShTH. Infact, ShTH does explain that Eggman found Shadow and put him in that capsule, if only during the final boss.

Because despite them attempting to rediscover Shadow's path, they did something completely different and added to it instead, and as a result we got an overly convoluted plot that could've been handled much better than it was.

Why? Why is it such a problem to see other possible outcomes for Shadow? I feel it makes the story of this game alot more interesting then other games, because in a way, you get to create your own story with Shadow, make him do what you want him to do. And I absolutely loved that. There's a true ending which is done better then any of the other endings. I just really don't see what's the problem with the additional endings.

There's nothing that a character can't be worked into provided that the traits of the character and writing of the plot can work in favor of the character. To say he wasn't meant to be worked into something prevents a character from trying to become more dimensional, which could really benefit the character.

Shadow already has tons of dimensions to him, and we've seen them all throughout all the games. The Shadow in SA2 is different from the Shadow in 06. I just personally don't see the need to see Shadow become funny.

Well I happen to enjoy a good plot. It doesn't matter what the backstory is, what the tone is, etc., if it's well written and fits within the context being presented, there's not a lot of fault I could find in something like that.

Unfortunately, that can't be said for games like ShTH or Heroes, and is debatable at worse with games like Colors.

Colors has no story, it pretends to have a story with cutscenes. But there's just barely anything going on in each cutscene, and is filled with jokes to lengthen it. That is not a good story at all in my opinion. Colors' story IS too one dimensional. And scenes where the story could've really shined, are absolutely ruined to try to get another laugh from the player. It just angers me that they had to downgrade the intensity that much.

Like he was in ShTH? What if the events in Colors were something for Shadow to make fun of? Haven't you ever thought of something like that?

Good for them if they could make it work, but I still don't think Shadow's best qualities could shine in a story like Colors.

Also one thing to point out, Shadow's involvement in Heroes was not light-hearted at all. Team Dark's story is the only one that's actually very serious in the little scenes that you see with them. With the exception of their encounter with Team Sonic, which brought a little of the SA2 Shadow back. But Team Dark's story isn't light-hearted at all, it's very dark with the whole mystery of Shadow, and really was just a taste of what ShTH would come to be. The other three stories were pretty light-hearted though, so I guess Heroes is still mainly a light-hearted game. Heroes had a disappointing story, but I still rank it above Colors, because at least it was serious when it was meant to be, and at least there are barely any cutscenes to actually bother you with the cheesiness. Colors has more then enough cutscenes to bother me with its cheesiness, so I dislike that story more.

Edited by RidersDX

I couldn't help but like most of Shadow's personality in his game. Apart from the unhinged decelerations of retribution on Eggman and his downright disturbing behaviour and appearance when Black Doom has him brainwashed (Have you even SEEN Shadow throughout most of the evil path? He looks practically zombiefied with blank eyes and deadpan voice!), I kinda liked his insecurity and mild manner.

And I gotta admit that I loved the lines from Maria in The Doom and Lost Impact that can be quite telling of Shadow's personality before his heart was broken and his mind tampered with. Lines like "You used to love running up and down this corridor Shadow" and Shadow's genuine concern for Maria and Gerald give me the impression that Shadow was just a questioning yet quiet and friendly guy before the ARK incident. Really, there is nothing post-ARK disaster going by cutscenes and levels depicting that time that Shadow was ANYTHING like he was after the ARK disaster and I for one loved the gentle, quiet yet single-minded Shadow depicted in ShTH before the ARK Incident. Seeing him like that almost makes me despise Gerald for tampering with Shadow and genuinely makes me hate GUN command of 50 years ago for being responsible.