Awoo.

[Artwork] Inferno's Art & Comics *currently under heavy reconstruction due to the server wipe*

Ferno

I like your style, hmmm,if I can make one critique (don't hate me ;A;), maybe its the angle, but the face seems kind of off center? I dunno, but other than that, nice work, teach me how to color <3

Yeah, I drew her face and body a little bit slanted to the left, though I guess her hair is kinda covering part of the head shape that was there in the sketch-phase which adds to the off-centered look which wasn't fully intentional. Alot of times though, I like to add a teesny-bit of off-center-ness to my characters as I feel it makes them look more lively than if they were standing perfectly symmetrical. Sometimes this does backfire though if I didn't mean it to look that way, but alot of times I do. I appreciate you and anyone else who does give critiques though. After awhile I do tend to get tunnel vision on what I need to improve on, and extra pairs of eyes to tell me where I'm slipping up is always appreciated, wouldn't have gotten as far as I have so far without people doing that every now and then.

As for my colors, I tend to use alot of layers, sometimes more than is really needed, but I tend to go overboard as I really like going wild with color.

Edited by SnowFerno

Yeah, I drew her face and body a little bit slanted to the left, though I guess her hair is kinda covering part of the head shape that was there in the sketch-phase which adds to the off-centered look which wasn't fully intentional. Alot of times though, I like to add a teesny-bit of off-center-ness to my characters as I feel it makes them look more lively than if they were standing perfectly symmetrical. Sometimes this does backfire though if I didn't mean it to look that way, but alot of times I do. I appreciate you and anyone else who does give critiques though. After awhile I do tend to get tunnel vision on what I need to improve on, and extra pairs of eyes to tell me where I'm slipping up is always appreciated, wouldn't have gotten as far as I have so far without people doing that every now and then.

As for my colors, I tend to use alot of layers, sometimes more than is really needed, but I tend to go overboard as I really like going wild with color.

Yeah, making a character really symmetrical is boring, you have to give them life and make them look dynamic. Which I think you do a good job on. I like your line work too, its really bold which makes the characters pop.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it so far, the shading gets the atmosphere of each scene across just fine, the main character is crazy adorable and then taken up to 11 post transformation, the ancient-power-being-activated-at-incorrect-time concept is really neat.  Can't wait to see more!

• Thumbs Up 2

I want 2014 to be a productive year. It may be a little bumpy, but I'm tired of sitting around waiting for my life to get settled enough and turbulent free before really starting something, I'm just saying screw-it at this point and getting started.

joraft-albums-my-photos-picture3656-calv

a9ss.png

;)

• Thumbs Up 1

CCOPromoPoster1CR1_zpsee3e322a.png

Wanted to show them in color. Unlike my other recent stuff, for these characters and this story I'm experimenting with a coloring and shading style that's a little softer and sketchier in places (emulating the pencill-y way it was shaded in chapter 1) to make it kinda different compared to my other two stories which feature sharper and more cel-shaded-esque elements.  (even though it'll mainly be in black and white most of the time.)

• Thumbs Up 5

Some Pokemon girls because I've been trying to get back into my usual fanart-making stuffs recently, though I'm now starting to experiment with applying varying levels of my own art style to them because I don't do that enough.

tumblr_mywm9iFNp71rk4i5co1_500.png

A rather cartoony Bianca. Did this in about an hour. It was so quick because I didn't have to worry about trying to keep her on-model and sorta just did my own thing for the most part. Wanted to go big and sorta swooshy with the outlines, also exaggerating things like her hair and the bow on her hat because I like doing that sorta thing.

tumblr_myztnyD1sw1rk4i5co1_500.png

Took it a step further here. This one took around six hours. Working on this was similar to the Bianca one, only this time I took my time. I wanted to try to push myself and see what I could do in terms of details. My style for drawing faces is sorta varied, with atleast 3 or 4 differing variations for each part of the face that come from the same base pretty much, so it's pretty easy for me to mix & match or minimize/exaggerate elements, or even omit or include details here or there to take the style and sometimes make it look pretty different depending on how I'm feeling or what I wanna draw. This does backfire at times though. Because my art style isn't always set in stone, alot of my own characters can look pretty different from one picture to the next if I'm not careful.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_mz1rjjXFqd1rk4i5co1_500.png

Moar pokeman-related stuff. Trying to keep my productivity up. I'm not exactly trying to go through all the gym leaders or anything, but Sabrina's been on my to-draw list for awhile. I had a number of references on hand for her, ranging from her earliest designs to her newer ones, but I decided to kinda mix her classic and recent original designs from before the 3 year time skip in HG/SS. Parts of her early anime design was also something I studied while drawing this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry for all the pokemanz stuff but I was really wanting to draw Bianca again as the previous one was a little too rushed imo:

tumblr_mz5jbx5Oix1rk4i5co1_500.png

Took my time on this one, giving myself a break between sittings to get better results from each step, rather than trying to cram everything in one sitting for the sake of saving time.

• Thumbs Up 5

Man, you got very good, very quickly. I love the way you colour! The gradients and saturation are just gorgeous!

...I can't unsee Squirtle's sunglasses on her shoes though. :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, you got very good, very quickly. I love the way you colour! The gradients and saturation are just gorgeous!

...I can't unsee Squirtle's sunglasses on her shoes though. :V

Thanks, I guess most of it comes from the fact that I tend to get bored with what I'm drawing pretty fast unless it's atleast a little better than a previous work I did in some shape or form. And funny that you mention the saturation, as for this pic I kept having to raise it during the coloring phase, as the official art I sampled the colors from was a little washed out I felt for what I was trying to do visually, and I wanted something more vibrant. This also led to me using even more layers of shading than I already use, which resulted in how the final pic came out looking.

...and now I can't unsee it either. :U I was sorta trying to give all 3 bows a more dynamic shape though.

tumblr_mzgl05tqOy1rk4i5co1_500.png

Felt like drawing Frieda again. I don't draw her smiling enough so I gave her sort of a playful look here. At first she started off as a pretty quiet and introspective character, then she sorta evolved into a pretty hot-headed one over time, while retaining some of the older traits she started with. Visually, alot of her features have been simplified over time, and combined with generally getting better at drawing, she's now easier to draw than she was in the past, on top of being closer to the original look I had for the character in my head that I wasn't able to draw at the time. Most of my attention is on Cheesecake Odyssey right now but one of my current goals for the Frieda project is to pretty much have the character designs and their personalities worked out before starting on that. The starting point for the Frieda comic pretty much depends on how fast I can start and wrap up both Cheesecake Odyssey and Half Blend at this point, as well as however long it'll take for me to finally get a better computer. Out of my comic projects, the Frieda one is currently the comic I wanna have running the longest, so I'm giving myself more time to keep working on it while I have my smaller projects in the foreground for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't practice pencilly stuff enough so I made a pencil-styled version:

tumblr_mzq6cl1GIG1rk4i5co1_500.png

I also went with my original idea for the picture, which featured Frieda leaning on a tree.

And here's another Ardie pic:

tumblr_mzq6drf4h31rk4i5co1_500.png

It's another potential evolution to his design. Not much has changed other than added details as I felt that it was a little plain and dull before, plus I changed the colors a bit to be a little closer to how they were originally. I felt that they started getting more and more basic and primary and wanted to tone them down them a little while still adding a touch of vibrancy. His hair is also in a slightly more dynamic shape while staying similar to how it was before. Even with all the changes, I still made sure to keep his proportions and overall height pretty simplified and compact, as that was the original idea behind his design to begin with. Out of all my characters, I think he's actually the easiest for me to draw on a regular basis.

And another pokemon-related doodle:

tumblr_mzq6flulCf1rk4i5co1_400.png

Been playing Pokemon X recently and really liked the design of the Team Flare grunts so I went ahead and drew the girl one. Her shirt probably isn't sleeveless like that and I also have no real idea what her eye color actually is but I wanted to add those details in...for that extra....flair.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if it seems like I've been super quiet or haven't drawn much in awhile, but I've just really been focused on my curent project. I'm still plowing through (more like trudging through) on it. I managed to finish chapter 2 which sorta starts not long after the first one ended.

tumblr_n0fya7hqsF1tr1e7so1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fyciEmhm1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fyd0iwex1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fye3Z6MP1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fyetZtrE1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fyg1IYST1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fygrluWn1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0fyhfsgaF1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

I feel like I'm getting a little faster as time goes on, but I still feel like I'm moving very slowly with this. My goal is to just keep moving with it though, without giving myself time to think or fret too much over the details like I normally do.

Everything so far is on here, including chapter 1 in a larger size than what I posted a page or 2 ago: http://cheesecakeodyssey.tumblr.com/ In the future I'll probably keep updates and new pages mainly on there to keep from clogging up this thread too much, but I'll still post regular stuff about the project (character designs, general art of the story, ect.) in here in the future, along with all my usual stuff.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ok, I know I said I wouldn't post many more pages in this thread directly, but I just really liked how this chapter came out. I feel like I'm starting to get into a sort of groove to where I can work faster as time goes on, though I still feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace, but yeah chapter 3:

tumblr_n0sx7eQogg1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sx7yBlvD1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sx92suJB1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sx9zEJXG1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sxasQDLr1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sxbgIPwl1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sxc81qP71tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sxdecqmA1tr1e7so1_1280.jpg

More soon, as well as more of my usual stuff.

• Thumbs Up 6

That was really entertaining from a humorous standpoint. Favortie part was when Brie threw the fork Weapon of Legend at the dragon...only for it to have no effect. Keep it up. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

And here's some more general art again. I've sorta let it accumulate over the past few weeks, though even saying that, it's not a whole lot as most of my attention's been going to my current comic. But yeah:

5dc42871-917d-49cf-aa35-7399143a4db3_zps

Drew Shantae again, this time practicing more realistic anatomy and generally using my drawing style. 

c99a3a85-9870-4b36-abd5-96cfc6212488_zps

Same with this one I did of Rottytops, though this one was more of a doodle.
559e1a6a-0e2f-4b46-8501-2bfe293bf13a_zps 

Doodled Sky & Wrench too.

tumblr_n0w6tdrEM31rk4i5co1_1280.png

A humorous if a bit out-of-character doodle that I made mainly because I liked how you could sit on the chairs, and I just wanted an excuse to draw some of the gen 6 characters some more having finally played the game. 

tumblr_n0w6x14wpL1rk4i5co1_1280.png

My favorite of Kalo's Elite 4, and probably one of my new favorite pokemon-related characters in a long time, so I took my time on this one.

• Thumbs Up 8

More general stuff:

f3c64709-76fa-49c8-8528-c16b0cee291e_zps

00dad454-194b-4b25-bb43-6a3c0cd59a3f_zps

Just some concepts of some of the creatures that live in the world of Cheesecake Odyssey. The thing I like the most about the project is that I get to put in alot of the crazy ideas I sometimes have that wouldn't fit in any of my other story's universes or concepts.

70161140-b568-409c-9897-5a9203c4bd59_zps

Sean's Original Character, Liz. Had fun drawing this and it should've been posted with the previous posts but I forgot to include it.

Annafanartcr4editr_zps75299ec4.png

And I drew Anna because Solkia requested it. Still haven't seen the movie yet but yeah. I tried to do my own thing here with her appearance, though ultimately I don't think I got her likeness down as good as I'd hoped. I used alot of techniques and a more detailed variation of my art style that I usually skip or just don't use often for the sake of saving time, and also to sorta get a similar coloring style visually to the way the CG character looked, even though it's a 2D drawing.

• Thumbs Up 6

I really like the way your style has evolved over time and you are also becoming very good at digital painting. I like your idea for the chair crab, although I think you should probably study chairs (and maybe crabs?) in real life. I only say that because I think you can make that design even better that way. That said it is decent for a concept. Your drawings are coming to life. Are you working on your comic right now or is it still in the planning/story board stages?

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the way your style has evolved over time and you are also becoming very good at digital painting. I like your idea for the chair crab, although I think you should probably study chairs (and maybe crabs?) in real life. I only say that because I think you can make that design even better that way. That said it is decent for a concept. Your drawings are coming to life. Are you working on your comic right now or is it still in the planning/story board stages?

Thanks, and yeah I do need to study crabs more as they look more like chairs than crabs in the design. The Queen for example will probably have actual legs in the final, it's just that currently being without internet 80% of the time makes looking up references to things sorta difficult. That and like most of the stuff in my Cheesecake Odyssey project, everything is sorta designed to be easy to draw repeatedly, being made out of simple shapes and such. =p Also I am working on the comic right now, and all 3 chapters done so far can be found in this thread. (chapters 2 and 3 are spoiler tagged so they don't stretch the page as much as they were doing before.) Other than a few details and concepts I had drawn and written down a year or two ago, the story and it's universe are being developed as the project goes along, due to the fact that the way my mind works, I'd probably sit there trying to plan every last detail and then it'd be 2015 and I'd still be sitting there without having started anything.

Loving cheese cake Odyssey, you have a nice style, hope I manage to get mine up to decent level eventualy

Your style and coloring are fantastic, and your character design is adorable.

I like the Cheesecake comic from what I've seen of it, too.

I gonna agree with everyone else -- the colouring is crazy good in your stuff. I really can't find much to fault: your lines are in the right place, the shading's sensible, the characters you draw have variety, etc.

It's all really, really good. Keep it up, mang.

Ferno you got better very rapidly and I commend you for that, but stop hinding your hands in your art. Learn and force your self to draw them more or you will begin to limit yourself on expression.

Seriously there is nothign worse than being able to draw most things fine but struggle with hands when you start improving.

• Thumbs Up 1