Awoo.

Mighty the Armadillo

Vulpine

*Looks at previous pages/post* Wow guys... just wow... so much tension for a character such as Mighty. Some of you are taking this TOO seriously lol.

I personally like Mighty, recolor, palette swap or not. I would also, like to see him come back. We are so far into Sonic's life-line that if Mighty was introduced, only the true fans will know who he is and the newer fans will think he's new, win-win if you ask me. Even if Mighty is heavily influenced from Sonic's design (or vice-versa, however that goes) Sega can always change him up a bit, alter his design, shit, even change his color. I would rather see an Armadillo join the brawl but not another fucking hedgehog. We already have 4, 5 if you count Knuckles (seeing how a echidna is technically an australian hedgehog).

An echidna is not an australian hedgehog; An echidna is an echidna. :P

Anyhoo, I don't pine for Mighty nor any of the minor extras to return. In their current states, they're all completely boring to me, shallow recolors, stand-ins, and roster padders in games that I honestly don't have any real love for. They're all personally on par with the E-10000 series robots for me; Potentially interesting, but just there, and ultimately disposable.

I'd just like to add that, given a few minor changes to his design (different shaped eyes and different kinds of shoes), Mighty would visually look different enough from other Sonic characters to find a place in the newer games. You could even make his shell segmented, like some guy did on deviantart with his 3D Mighty. I'll have to find that.

MIGHTY_the_armadillo_by_Chris_Super.jpg

Ah here it is. The shape of the shoes isn't too bad either.

As far as new abilities are concerned...you guys have got me stumped with that one. I'll get back to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

MIGHTY_the_armadillo_by_Chris_Super.jpg

Pretty cool. But it still looks like an ORIGINAL CHARACTER! DO NOT STEAL. Does look better than most of em though.

Edited by Edge

I don't get what you mean by that. Are you saying that it looks like a crappy Sonic recolour?

Well like I said, a bit more could be done with his shoes and gloves to distinguish him a little. Maybe an accessory. His design isn't doomed to similarity to Sonic, is all I'm saying.

Edited by Aerosol

I don't get what you mean by that.

it's a boxerhockey joke. Shadow pops up and his name is "Original the Character" and he says "DO NOT STEAL"

And if you think he is a recolor, he deserves the same respect as other recolors.

Like who? Ray? He's the only official one that has it as to the same extent as Mighty.

I don't get what you mean by that. Are you saying that it looks like a crappy Sonic recolour?

Basically, yeah. That is what the joke means.

Edited by Tornado

Well like I said, a bit more could be done with his shoes and gloves to distinguish him a little. Maybe an accessory. His design isn't doomed to similarity to Sonic, is all I'm saying.

Not a recolor, but his face and body (even his shoes for the most part) don't really look any different. That's one great thing about Shadow and Silver.

Ok I get that I'm just saying that with a little embellishment he could look different enough. He's an adventurer, so give him a bandanna he wears around his neck. Maybe give him boots rather than shoes (more along the lines of Silver or Amy). He could be made to work. That's all I'm saying.

Also, please note that I'm not saying I want Mighty back or that he should come back. I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying that its not entirely irrational to think that enough could be done to him to warrant his return, that's all.

Edited by Aerosol

Like who? Ray? He's the only official one that has it as to the same extent as Mighty.

Ray's head is so round he looks like a lightbulb. I'm talking about Shadow, everyone's favorite ultimate recolor.

Then there's Mephiles. A repaint of a retool. THEN there's Metal Sonic 3.0. A repaint of a robot copy.

Exactly!

However only Mighty cops all of the "o noez clone" hate, it's completely irrational.

But I am done with trying to argue futilely here. Mighty is no more a clone of Sonic than Shadow is, hell I think he is less of a clone than Shadow is. To me Mighty is very unique, but as long as we have people arguing agianst his return we'll be doomed to have more unoriginal new hedgehog characters instead or worse characters like Chip.

Edited by The-Master-Board

Then there's Mephiles. A repaint of a retool. THEN there's Metal Sonic 3.0. A repaint of a robot copy.

And don't forget that Sonic is just a repaint of a hedgehog on two feet, complete with gumball eyes. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ray's head is so round he looks like a lightbulb. I'm talking about Shadow, everyone's favorite ultimate recolor.

Shadow at least has a story reason to look like Sonic. He's not the best designed character in the series but he's certainly not as bad as Mighty.

Man Mephiles sucked. Just ewww.

He wasn't even done well. I can't remember a single line his voice actor even did well.

However only Mighty cops all of the "o noez clone" hate, it's completely irrational.

What the hell are you talking about.

Do you just ignore all of the Shadow hate that goes on.

But I am done with trying to argue futilely here. Mighty is no more a clone of Sonic than Shadow is, hell I think he is less of a clone than Shadow is.

To create Mighty: Paint Sonic black and give him a shell.

To create Shadow: Paint Sonic black, comb his quills up, give him chest hair and rocket shoes.

No yeah Shadow has an advantage here.

To me Mighty is very unique, but as long as we have people arguing agianst his return we'll be doomed to have more unoriginal new hedgehog characters instead or worse characters like Chip.

I will never understand this. It's been, what, four years since we got a new hedgehog? And five years in between?

Why do people always make fun of that again? It's not like there's five billion of them. Might as well go "more unoriginal new bird characters" because there are three Babylon Rouges.

And Silver was pretty damn unique. His design just came out of left field. If he was Sonic with glowing eyes I would understand this, but he's not.

Also Chip was fucking great and you don't know what you are talking about.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I have been wondering where Mighty went, true. Add my name to the list of "Would like to see Mighty return!" names.

If there's a list.

I can't remember a single line his voice actor even did well.

"Your face, your form, I will remember. Your death, certain. You, will DIE!"

I liked the delivery of that one.

I like Mighty, I think he has a place somewhere in the Sonic Universe, alongside all the other forgotten characters. Considering both Archie and Fleetway managed to create a lot of character in someone who is just a "stand-in" for Sonic, I think Mighty could do a lot if he were updated to fit into Sonic's post-Adventure world.

Really, the best time to have brought back characters like Mighty (but, especially, Bean and Bark, if possible) was in Sonic Riders, where they can be re-introduced in spin-off games (or party/racing games) so that having additional characters isn't as insulting to those pure-bred SONIC ONLY PLEASE fans.

People say Mighty had nothing going for him and no unique moves, but wasn't he the first to do the wall-kick before Sonic? Crackers doesn't count because it was, at best, a BETA, and I don't recall Sonic doing the move before Mighty. Sure, it's not a lot to go on, but it's something. Imagine Mighty's playstyle involving chaining the wall-kick into a series of mid-air combos and attacks. He could slam his shell onto enemies, or curl up to deflect/avoid damage.

I also find Ray interesting, purely for his look. Due to his colours, cute complexion, and position as a "Flying Squirrel" I often wonder if he wasn't meant to take Tails' place. In any case, having Mighty and Ray reappear, perhaps as a buddy-team, in similar supporting roles as Blaze, Cream, or Amy wouldn't offend me. If anything, Sonic's world needs more furry characters, at the moment it seems like humans out number them, making one question why Sonic bothers protecting humans when his own "species" is a minority.

Also, Nack/Fang/whatever has to return! His look, the personality he exudes, and his potential are staggering!

To me Mighty is very unique, but as long as we have people arguing agianst his return we'll be doomed to have more unoriginal new hedgehog characters instead or worse characters like Chip.

And this is what I don't like about all this worshiping of unused characters. This strange notion that Mighty is, by default > any new character that gets made. If Mighty were to return, chances are he'd be just as shallow and uninteresting as any other character in the series, and he always HAS been just as shallow and uninteresting.

I don't see him as bad, but he has never seemed any better or more unique than what we already have.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it'd be fairly easy to make mighty look different. One thing going for him is he doesn't have any damn quills.

As far as the worship of un used characters goes, something I admit to participating in. I guess its because our visions of them aren't tarnished. (Yet) I have a deep fondness for Nack and Bean for instance but part of me thinks its due to their portrayal in the comics as well. I generally never paid much attention to Mighty but I liked him whenever he showed up in Archie. But Archie doesn't equal the video games so i'd be naive to believe that if either of those characters showed up in a game, that they'd act like their comic book counterparts. In fact it's probably best that they just stay in the comic and never show up in the video games ever again. In the comic there is depth or the possibility of character focus. If Bean showed up in a new video game I bet he'd be nothing like the Archie Bean that I love so much.

Edited by Dejablue

it's a boxerhockey joke. Shadow pops up and his name is "Original the Character" and he says "DO NOT STEAL"

It's been around for much longer than that. It's actually an old Sonic Cult joke, used to make fun of shitty fan characters.

Shadow at least has a story reason to look like Sonic. He's not the best designed character in the series but he's certainly not as bad as Mighty.

Does he? As far as I can tell, they just made him that way so people would mistake him for Sonic, and there isn't actually an in-universe reason as to why he looks like Sonic.

In spite of being on a system that had no support for dialog (according to some people around here, at least*), Nack managed to have very appreciable characterization. Wanna-be smooth, but he could never get his machines to work right.

*Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear actually do support dialog. You just have to read instead of listen to it.

Does he? As far as I can tell, they just made him that way so people would mistake him for Sonic, and there isn't actually an in-universe reason as to why he looks like Sonic.

that's pretty much the story reason right there.

that's pretty much the story reason right there.

That, and much of the ARK project has it's roots in ancient echidna culture (Artificial Chaos, Chaos Drives, the Artificial Master Emerald shrine, experimentation with Emerl etc.) so the idea of one of Gerald's experiments being based on the hedgehog shown in echidna prophecies (see: Hydrocity Zone and Angel Island Zone) fits in quite nicely.

That, and much of the ARK project has it's roots in ancient echidna culture (Artificial Chaos, Chaos Drives, the Artificial Master Emerald shrine, experimentation with Emerl etc.) so the idea of one of Gerald's experiments being based on the hedgehog shown in echidna prophecies (see: Hydrocity Zone and Angel Island Zone) fits in quite nicely.

I don't think they ever thought that far ahead.

Like ever.

I'm pretty sure they just make sure not to say Gerald only worked on INSERT WORLD-DESTROYING PROJECT HERE and that just leaves it open for everything else they can't explain.

"Oh damn, we don't have a reason for Emerl to be around."

"Gerald Robotnik!"

"Aghhh how do we explain the Eclipse Cannon and the alien things"

"Gerald Robotnik!"

"How do we resolve this plot hol-"

"GERRRAAALLLLDDDDDDDDD