Awoo.

What music are you currently listening to?

SHAX Hedgefox

Just discovered Haken. Never really gave them a chance, because the Heavy Prog subgenre scares me, but this is some really great stuff here.

After playing episode 2 of Tales From The Borderlands, this has been pretty much all I've been listening to. It was just used so perfectly in the game.

I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan. That being said, I like to play their music alongside my most trivial daily chores because it makes me so much angrier while I do them it actually becomes more interesting.

I really should listen to more Slayer, all I really know of them is this one song .-.

I may not be as big a Slayer fan as I used to be back in high school, but that doesn't mean I don't love them for what they are: steady and consistent. I used to jam to their 2001 album God Hates Us All all the time with "Payback", "Bloodline" and "Here Comes the Pain" being my favorite tracks. It may not best represent the entirety of their long career, but it's still a sweet album even after they've thankfully shed the nu-metal influences that crept into their sound in the late '90s and early '00s. 

Right now I'm listening to the new song from progressive metalcore/technical death metal band Veil of Maya. The song itself is called "Mikasa", and it's the debut single from their fifth album, Matriarch. It was just released twenty minutes ago, and I've been grooving on it this whole time. It's quite the controversial given the fact this song is the first time Veil of Maya has incorporated clean vocals into their frenetic and complex style. And too many people are upset. I will say right now that I absolutely ADORE these vocals. They remind me of Spencer Sotelo of Periphery. I love this song and the direction this band has taken in recent years. Also the album art for Matriarch is simply beautiful:

1009987_10153230180896214_72957541743376

Veil of Maya - "Mikasa"

#veilhasrisen 

• Thumbs Up 1

I may not be as big a Slayer fan as I used to be back in high school, but that doesn't mean I don't love them for what they are: steady and consistent. I used to jam to their 2001 album God Hates Us All all the time with "Payback", "Bloodline" and "Here Comes the Pain" being my favorite tracks. It may not best represent the entirety of their long career, but it's still a sweet album even after they've thankfully shed the nu-metal influences that crept into their sound in the late '90s and early '00s. 

I'll give those a shot sometime, man. I'm more than likely to start with some of their more well known stuff that would represent the entirety of their career (or at least come close to it) and then ease my way in, though, to be honest. I'll be sure and keep that album in mind, though - would be tough to forget when the title is something like that xP

Another of one of my all time favorites. Time seems to slow down when I listen to this one, and I just love that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiQl28_55Qg

I love these guys so much. It's truly amazing how well they pulled this song off with merely vocals, they really do it justice by acapella. 

I'll give those a shot sometime, man. I'm more than likely to start with some of their more well known stuff that would represent the entirety of their career (or at least come close to it) and then ease my way in, though, to be honest. I'll be sure and keep that album in mind, though - would be tough to forget when the title is something like that xP

Another of one of my all time favorites. Time seems to slow down when I listen to this one, and I just love that.

Honestly, you've got the right idea if you choose to listen to Reign in Blood for that reason. It's their most celebrated work, and it's a seminal metal album. So you'd be moving in the right direction if you chose that album over many others. Personally, it's not the album I'd advocate for your first Slayer album. Their first three albums contain very fast tracks exemplifying a style of metal deeply rooted in a love for hardcore punk. I feel like their later releases are more accessible to a more mainstream audience. Your best bet right now would be to invest some time into modern Slayer. As much as I like God Hates Us All, it's still a flawed disc. You'd be safe to try 2006's Christ Illusion. It's a modern Slayer record that evokes their older sound from the early '90s. I'm sorry for giving you unsolicited advice, but I spent a lot of time listening to these guys, so it's fun for me to talk about them! ^_^

I've never really given Sunny Day Real Estate before, but that song you posted was pretty good. I might have to listen to them again at some point in the near future. 

Anyway, I feel like toning it down myself. I felt like listening to a much softer song than the one I linked in my last post. This song right here always puts me at ease: 

The Contortionist - "Language I: Intuition" 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys you remember that Willow Smith girl right?

Did you know she's somewhat musically competent now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5sRn30F3vw

I was genuinely surprised when hearing this, after songs like "Whip My Hair" and "Fireball" you wouldn't think Willow Smith of all people could improve so drastically.  

Honestly, you've got the right idea if you choose to listen to Reign in Blood for that reason. It's their most celebrated work, and it's a seminal metal album. So you'd be moving in the right direction if you chose that album over many others. Personally, it's not the album I'd advocate for your first Slayer album. Their first three albums contain very fast tracks exemplifying a style of metal deeply rooted in a love for hardcore punk. I feel like their later releases are more accessible to a more mainstream audience. Your best bet right now would be to invest some time into modern Slayer. As much as I like God Hates Us All, it's still a flawed disc. You'd be safe to try 2006's Christ Illusion. It's a modern Slayer record that evokes their older sound from the early '90s. I'm sorry for giving you unsolicited advice, but I spent a lot of time listening to these guys, so it's fun for me to talk about them! ^_^

Heh. I getcha, man. I can talk for music for hours upon hours, just discussing what I like about it  :P It seems you prefer heavy stuff, yourself, which I can dig, man xP

My personal philosophy when it comes to music isn't about literal sound as much as it is about the imagery it provides. The sound itself is only a vessel for something much greater, and that's the emotion it evokes. These visions and thoughts and daydreams that come from within when you listen to a song and not just what the song itself represents. That's why I'm able to listen to everything from Slayer to the Beatles, honestly xP

I'll not only heed your advice, but thank you for it xP You seem much more knowledgeable about the band itself than I am.

Also, I really liked the song you shared  :D It felt as if it had a good deal of substance to it and I think it managed to get that out through sound very well.

This conversation admittedly got me in the mood for something a bit stronger. As of the moment, this is the song I'm listening to.

These guys are my favorite thing to ever come out of my home state, to be honest xP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUKO6yOWm-g

Songs that I hear over the Wal-Mart intercom while I'm working: #1

-Seven by Sunny Day Real Estate-

First heard this on Guitar Hero 5. Favorite song in that entire game. it's a wonderful song.

• Thumbs Up 1

First heard this on Guitar Hero 5. Favorite song in that entire game. it's a wonderful song.

It really is :D I never really got into that series, but I do love what they did by including lesser known artists alongside the bigger names in the genre. Really helped open a mass audience up to a plethora of new music, me thinks :D

One of the things I love about Neutral Milk Hotel is that, especially with this album, they're a band that I can listen to and it just lets my imagination run wild. Just one of those albums where every track is good, and while this isn't my favorite track from it, it's one I repeat quite often nonetheless :D

I've finally heard Madeon's album, in full (a few days early I might add), and it's absolutely as I thought. Masterpiece of music, Don't let the EDM tracks like Icarus fool you. There's some astounding tracks on the album.

I find something to be extremely soothing about this song, honestly - even after it kicks into gear. I may not be a fan of the condiment that this song is named after, but I do love the song quite a bit :D

I'm literally listening to this play from my N64, right now.

It reminds me of a phone record book we used to have that was decorated with fairies.

I post in this thread too much xD I always kind of have some form of music going, though, so it's all good, I think.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite song from my favorite videogame soundtrack, so make what you will out of that.

So many good bands come out of England, it feels like. I feel like if I were to think up a long list of my favorite bands, then at least a third of them would be English.

Anyway, this band would certainly be on that list  :)

It took me some time, but I did get around to listening to the newest album from technical death metal band Job for a Cowboy. It's been interesting to watch these guys evolve over the years. I remember back in high school when they were like among the first deathcore bands to reach prominence. They've since moved away from those roots and began to offer music in the style of traditional death metal. I was able to hear them live a few years ago, and I was glad they played a medley of "Entombment of a Machine". I don't know if they like playing that old song so much these days, but they must do it to please their fans. I sure as hell had a good time when that old gem was given time to shine. Anyway, their new music is a world away from their first EP. It's still technical death metal, but the songs are longer and much more atmospheric than anything from past efforts. In fact, Sun Eater may be the first time they've ever truly been excellent. I'm just glad that I got around to this song eventually. It's pretty dope. ^_^

Job for a Cowboy - "Sun of Nihility"