Awoo.

cute fluffy kittens

eXtaticus

This is something that I know has been getting on people's nerves for a while now, so I'll cut the crap and get straight to the point: I'm quite honestly getting sick and tired of not being able type the name "T S S Z" without my words being replaced. Not only does the filter create needless and tedious work when links to the site's webpages are changed, but it's also a completely immature way of dealing with their transgressions against us; just because one or two members of T S S Z (getting pissed off here) have had minor bashes at one or two TSSNet staffers doesn't mean that you should go deliberately seeking their level - especially when your rash decisions have a negative and wholly irritating effect on your own sites loyal users.

I hope that at least one important member of staff finally sees sense and removes this stupidly annoying filter; jokes are generally funny until they outstay their welcome, but this practical wisecrack was outdated at birth.

Yours Irritated,

Extaticus

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 5

To paraphrase Steve Jobs:

Just reference TSS or Wrecks. Not that big a deal.

Honestly, I think you're the only one who cares. I don't even think Tristan cares anymore. And with his vendetta, that's saying something.

• Thumbs Up 7

Scenario example:

"O look guise Sonic Spinball and Mean Bean are being re-released on Pc!1!

http://www.cute fluffy kittensnews.com/2010/07/23/sonic-spinball-mean-bean-machine-re-released-to-pc/

O wait..."

Do you see now? And this happens every time somebody links to cute fluffy kittens (like that) - which is far more frequent than most people might think. This is why I'm pissed off.

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 3

Guest Miles Per Hour

Your not the only one. I also find it very irritating, I would love the annoying filter to be removed.

There are many incidents when links have been posted and don't work, it's verry annoying and I see no point to why that filter is here.

Edited by Miles Per Hour
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, if people want it removed, I'll consider it. Ignore the short answers, I'm currently fielding this one at work. Just saying, there are other outlets out there that you can reference for the same stories (EDIT: Even in that particular example Ext, why don't you just link to the source - i.e. GamersGate's website - which would be slightly more relevant? If you're worried about other people's linking of the site, tell them to change their links). Do that in the meantime instead.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

While it is irritating, IIRC it's there not for rivalry but because of some genuine nastiness from Tristan. Particularly, I'm reminded of the time that in an article was started bashing Shadzter for having M.E. which he apparently believes is fake. If the word filter really bothers you that much, just C&P the article or reupload any images. Nowadays you don't even need to say them to you PC to put them on your Photobucket/ImageShack/etc account.

Hey, if people want it removed, I'll consider it. Ignore the short answers, I'm currently fielding this one at work. Just saying, there are other outlets out there that you can reference.

What, so you're discouraging discussion about a rival site's news stories and information? All I'm saying is that this doesn't prove anything except for the fact that we obviously can't be better than cute fluffy kittens, (and again) and also shows a rather distasteful side of our fanbase as a whole.

Add that to the fact that - like it or not - cute fluffy kittens (-_-) is probably the most active outlet of Sonic-related news that exists on the internet today, and your argument about "other outlets" turns into a sieve.

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't really have a problem with it since Tristan makes fun of this site all the time. And quite honestly, he's so rude the the community at whole I don't think T S S Z deserves the page views he'd get from the link backs.

But at the same time I get mixed messages from it: whenever we members try to poke fun at Tristan, several of the mods tell us to "grow up," but at the same time we have the cute fluffy kittens filter that deliberately pokes fun at the kittens.

• Thumbs Up 2

But at the same time I get mixed messages from it: whenever we members try to poke fun at Tristan, several of the mods tell us to "grow up," but at the same time we have the cute fluffy kittens filter that deliberately pokes fun at the kittens.

It's really the stunningly high level of hypocrisy that accompanies the filter that gets me. Maybe it would have been acceptable for a few days or even a week, but a few months? The reality is that there's more to life (and more to discussion) than sly stabs at rivals.

And hey; if Tristan hated us so much, then he wouldn't post articles advertising Summer of Sonic:

http://www.cute fluffy kittensnews.com/2010/07/22/be-a-part-of-the-summer-of-sonic-wall/

^ Proof in two ways that this filter needs ousting.

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like any other online community, the Sonic the Hedgehog one is built off of friendship and trust. Despite our best efforts, we have been the recipient of malicious attacks. Forgive us if we have to take measures to avoid any such incidents from occurring again. When you realise this, you know that our filter has nothing to do with 'shutting people out,' or limiting conversation, it's about keeping the peace within the community. I'm unsure, ultimately, why a filter would stop conversation on an overall story. It is considered good netiquette anyway to only use links for sourcing; if you're posting a topic with a headline and a link, it would be best for you to follow guidelines and write about said story in the topic itself. Thus, discussion is not hampered.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is there not a link tool that you could use anyway? I stand corrected if that link is filtered.

EDIT: OK, it filtered out the link too. Still, I'm fine with it as I've never found a need to use the words T S S Z, since I don't really visit the site. :P

Edited by Earthworm Swiss

And while I was reading this thread, up until now, I kept thinking "cute fluffy kittens" was what originally was typed into the posts. I definitely need to wake up more.

I have no big say or experience around this situation. All I do know is that a lot of members did keep bashing that other place (well, at some point at least), which is not cool.

I dunno, I think it's pretty funny.

I liked the (edit inflammatory -T) for swearing more, though ^^

I will add, in regards to the 'hypocrisy' side of things, that I did not implement the filter to begin with. However, over time we have simply forgotten it was still in place. As I recall, the 'cute fluffy kittens' was simply a light-hearted push, rather than intended as some form of subversive attack. Perhaps 'cute fluffy kittens' is not an appropriate replacement variable for the filter itself, this could be modified to simply 'xxxx'. Who knows. In any case, a socially defensive measure should not be considered the same as a "sly attack," which Ext is so eager to try and point out.

I get the feeling that this topic in itself may become fodder for another 'misinterpreted attack/news story' all on its own. For that, you have my rather sarcastic thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2

In any case, a socially defensive measure should not be considered the same as a "sly attack," which Ext is so eager to try and point out.

No; a socially defensive measure would be having a dialogue box appear on screen every time you click a link that takes you away from a TSSNet site. A socially defensive measure would be pinning a rude, snotty topic about why "certain parties should not be trusted, as they are rude, lying morons". Socially defensive measures shouldn't directly attack the attacker; they should, however, retain generalised ambiguity, so as not to provoke any further annoyances.

And let's face it; we're only hurting ourselves with the filter - Tristan doesn't seem to care anymore, so why keep it at all?

I will add, in regards to the 'hypocrisy' side of things, that I did not implement the filter to begin with. However, over time we have simply forgotten it was still in place. As I recall, the 'cute fluffy kittens' was simply a light-hearted push, rather than intended as some form of subversive attack. Perhaps 'cute fluffy kittens' is not an appropriate replacement variable for the filter itself, this could be modified to simply 'xxxx'. Who knows. In any case, a socially defensive measure should not be considered the same as a "sly attack," which Ext is so eager to try and point out.

It's nice to know that you would never deliberately sink to Tristan's level, even after the malicious message he posted towards Shadzter. People can say whatever they want about the kittens being 'neutral,' I'd rather visit site with integrity and respect towards the community members than that word-twisting, hate-filled place.

I can see where you are coming from with filtering it out, still. It's probably the best option to help keep tensions to a minimal. As funny as "cute fluffy kittens" is, it would probably be a better choice to choose a filter than doesn't take a jab at T S S Z, that way it will prevent members like me from thinking its fine to make fun of Tristan like I did above. :lol:

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

No; a socially defensive measure would be having a dialogue box appear on screen every time you click a link that takes you away from a TSSNet site. A socially defensive measure would be pinning a rude, snotty topic about why "certain parties should not be trusted, as they are rude, lying morons". Socially defensive measures shouldn't directly attack the attacker; they should, however, retain generalised ambiguity, so as not to provoke any further annoyances.

There is absolutely no way that the filter directly attacks the attacker. I don't know many people that consider 'cute fluffy kittens' a malicious attack, after all. And the filter is in its very nature ambiguous - we never advertised the filter or put a big red sign saying "Hey we hate Tristan go ahead and make fun of him." In fact, you'll find the mods have been doing a cracking job enforcing the exact opposite.

Stop reaching for some kind of motive about this; there isn't one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I generally oppose word filters; I think being able to coherently get across what you're trying to say is about the most important thing on a message board. I don't have a problem with trying to halt any potential drama with... kittens... but word filters don't usually achieve much but confusion and a whole lot of post editing. This filter in particular doesn't really affect me either way, mind, since I think this post will be the first time I've ever felt the need to mention cute fluffy kittens. T S S Z. Heh. Still, it bothers me a little on principle. I like my posts to reflect what I've actually typed.

This young Man had the right Idea, but sadly the Wrong Exectuion.

Let me work some Witchcraft with the Help of my Friends on the Other side..

*cough*

AlakaFuckingZAM

*POOF*

http://tinyurl.com/2vkruzz

Wasn't that Hard, now was it?

Yes, but it's yet more needless effort. You may as well be editing the cute fluffy kittens directly out of your address bar; when I post a link, I expect it to work as standard and without me making any effort, so that I can focus on writing a decent post/topic - I don't expect people to have to have to edit my links through no fault of my own, and equally, I don't expect to have to edit my own links so that they do work as standard.

Would it not be easier just to not have a filter at all?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

There is absolutely no way that the filter directly attacks the attacker. I don't know many people that consider 'cute fluffy kittens' a malicious attack, after all. And the filter is in its very nature ambiguous - we never advertised the filter or put a big red sign saying "Hey we hate Tristan go ahead and make fun of him." In fact, you'll find the mods have been doing a cracking job enforcing the exact opposite.

Stop reaching for some kind of motive about this; there isn't one.

While I don't consider it as an attack per say, I do see it as a small tease towards Tristan. The vibe I get from the filter is "TSS has BIG NEWS so that leaves T S S Z with cute fluffy kittens." But maybe this wasn't the intention, and it's totally wrong for me to connect it as a joke. :unsure:

Plenty of other forums have word filters against various websites for various reasons, deal with it.

any noteworthy content that site has is usually from other sources anyway, so I don't see the big deal. TBH there's a whole bunch of sites I'd like to filter to stop their shit being posted on the board, but that's neither here nor there.

• Thumbs Up 1

any noteworthy content that site has is usually from other sources anyway, so I don't see the big deal.

That's why I see no problem in keeping at least a filter, be it the kitten one or the xxxx one. Besides, most exclusives T S S Z publishes are only exclusives because no one else cares about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, so that's what the big fluffy kittens thing in my topic on this board was about. And I thought this was just another silly fad in the zaney world of SSMB. :P

As for linking to that cute fluffy kitten site, I don't care seeing as I don't look for Sonic news much anyway.