Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

14 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I don't get the hate for Ronaldo I think he's hilarious 

You gotta remember that what's funny for one person may be tedious to another. Also, there's the whole "Parody of obsessive fans" and "almost killed Steven/Lars" things to contend with.

1 minute ago, Kidakairis said:

I just noticed this...even Archie knew about Boom.

basedonthe.jpg

...What?

I'm not sure what you mean.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...What?

I'm not sure what you mean.

The first issue has in the top right Corner "Based on the new hit video game and TV series" while in the second one it changed to "Based on the new hit TV series". I don't know if they were intentionally bagging on the game but it seems like it

2 minutes ago, Kidakairis said:

The first issue has in the top right Corner "Based on the new hit video game and TV series" while in the second one it changed to "Based on the new hit TV series". I don't know if they were intentionally bagging on the game but it seems like it

They changed it because the games where obviously anything but a hit. And they seriously jumped the gun by toting it as such beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 1

They are marked as issues 2 and 11. I would assume that by issue 11, Sonic Boom was less of a game thing and more of a TV show thing, with the 3DS games being more-or-less spinoffs from the show. I would assume this is less of a bagging on the games as it was a marketing decision to focus on what had become the main pillar of Boom.

Edit: Issue 11 also no longer says "new" for related and obvious reasons.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

They are marked as issues 2 and 11. I would assume that by issue 11, Sonic Boom was less of a game thing and more of a TV show thing, with the 3DS games being more-or-less spinoffs from the show. I would assume this is less of a bagging on the games as it was a marketing decision to focus on what had become the main pillar of Boom.

Edit: Issue 11 also no longer says "new" for related and obvious reasons.

Ah OK that would make more sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I was off this board for about two months (which was since Page 1156) doing college work.

I really wanted to look through ~40 pages, but I lost the motivation to.

My question: What did I miss in those two months?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Arranos said:

Ok, I was off this board for about two months (which was since Page 1156) doing college work.

My question: What did I miss in those two months?

Not much. All we know is that Archie and SEGA are currently talking and we're just waiting for updates.

Just now, Zaysho said:

Not much. All we know is that Archie and SEGA are currently talking and we're just waiting for updates.

Thanks for the update.

Ian Flynn talked about the whole Archie situation on his podcast (the topic is brought up at 51:33)

Long story short, he just relayed what Archie has said.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

So the podcast is just a bunch of silence?

That and he says he's been asked this a ton. And suggesting people be patient about the matter.

So....yeah.

I think we've been plenty patient, but I also know these kinda sticky situations can take time to resolve. I'm sure Ian and crew are anxious to see this drama wrap up as the rest of us are. That's a pretty big chunk of money he's losing from not writing Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 8

Guess I was gonna reply to this but closed the tab before doing so.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, Mayor D said:

Archie may not have killed sonic. 

But lol if they think this hasn't done the comic major damage to the point of death. 

I do think the comic will be damaged if it does manage to pull itself out of this 4 month near death tussle its going through. subscribers have been burned for sure, nobody is going to buy subs from a company that halts a comic for 4+ months and doesn't bother to even update their subscribers and whose to say local shop sales will even come back, pretty sure the people who did pick up the comics at the stores have given up by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm not sure how someone could say that. Ian hosts a non-Sonic, topical podcast. This episode was about the Ninja Turtles. There was a lot of non-silent discussion about that subject along with some Guardians of the Galaxy talk, and at the end, he answered fan questions as always, usually about the Sonic comics. Since Archie made a public statement recently, that opened up the possibility for Ian to comment on the matter, but it does not allow him to go beyond what they said—especially since he's probably getting his information the same way we are: by reading Archie's comment. Again, I think to nullify Ian's podcast as silence because we're not getting the information from it that we're not supposed to expect from it in the first place is unfair and a misunderstanding of what the podcast is as well as what Ian knows and can pass on to fans.

No offense to anyone; I'm just trying to explain in no uncertain terms for those who may not listen regularly (coming from someone who's a couple episodes behind).

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

I do think the comic will be damaged if it does manage to pull itself out of this 4 month near death tussle its going through. subscribers have been burned for sure, nobody is going to buy subs from a company that halts a comic for 4+ months and doesn't bother to even update their subscribers and whose to say local shop sales will even come back, pretty sure the people who did pick up the comics at the stores have given up by now.

We will certainly see. I do think that people are being unfair with Archie here, as it's probably not their fault (again) and they're probably not allowed or able to communicate (again—nullifying this complaint). Subscribers will no question get what they payed for and are being treated fairly per the terms they agree to upon subscribing. Buyers at local shops probably won't even notice the books have been gone, but yes, there might be a hit from stores and brick-and-mortar buyers as well as subscribers who choose not to renew their subscription, as is their prerogative.

Again, I think the other side is that this whole thing has potentially also caught the attention of lapsed readers or people who only read the books as a kid (or maybe never read the books but played the games) and perhaps rekindled their interest—one of those "you don't appreciate it 'til it's gone" things. We'll see how this all balances out; I'm not at all convinced that sales will drop significantly (aside from now, obviously), but I'm no expert in these matters. It's also my understanding that the only numbers we fans are ever privy to are from Diamond (someone correct me here), which don't account for digital or direct sales and are therefore only part of the picture. Because of that, we will likely never know the effect one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

22 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

I'm not sure how someone could say that. Ian hosts a non-Sonic, topical podcast. This episode was about the Ninja Turtles. There was a lot of non-silent discussion about that subject along with some Guardians of the Galaxy talk, and at the end, he answered fan questions as always, usually about the Sonic comics. Since Archie made a public statement recently, that opened up the possibility for Ian to comment on the matter, but it does not allow him to go beyond what they said—especially since he's probably getting his information the same way we are: by reading Archie's comment. Again, I think to nullify Ian's podcast as silence because we're not getting the information from it that we're not supposed to expect from it in the first place is unfair and a misunderstanding of what the podcast is as well as what Ian knows and can pass on to fans.

No offense to anyone; I'm just trying to explain in no uncertain terms for those who may not listen regularly (coming from someone who's a couple episodes behind).

I think this was actually a riff on Archie's months of stonewalling on Sonic and refusal to divulge any information on the situation.  "he just relayed what Archie said" = "a bunch of silence".

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Guess I was gonna reply to this but closed the tab before doing so.

Actually, based on if they tell us what was going on and why this delay happened, I might add a subscription if Sonic comics manage to survive this. If the issue came from lack of sales, then I'll subscribe to help increase sales so that hopefully this doesn't happen again. If the issue comes from something else, I'll make my decision at that time based on what it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I think this was actually a riff on Archie's months of stonewalling on Sonic and refusal to divulge any information on the situation.  "he just relayed what Archie said" = "a bunch of silence".

Right. I don't mean to be combative. I just don't think we should be expecting need-to-know and likely tentative info regarding the books' status from a non-Sonic podcast hosted by someone most likely not in the know. I (and others, I'm sure) keep trying to explain Archie's probable position here and the likely, legitimate reasons for their behavior and lack thereof, but people seem to keep falling back to the "Archie's not being fair" meme anyway, which is in itself unfair.

1 hour ago, Evercross said:

Actually, based on if they tell us what was going on and why this delay happened, I might add a subscription if Sonic comics manage to survive this. If the issue came from lack of sales, then I'll subscribe to help increase sales so that hopefully this doesn't happen again. If the issue comes from something else, I'll make my decision at that time based on what it is.

My bets are on contract issues with Sega or legal issues with Fulop. We'll see...maybe. Assuming this all ends favorably, I don't necessarily expect an explanation, as both of these possible reasons can legally (or even just relationally) require Archie to stay quiet and not rat out the other involved parties by giving out sensitive details. It will be interesting to see if a resolution of the Fulop case shortly precedes a return of the books, as that would potentially indicate that the court case was largely involved with the delays. I don't know what would indicate a contract issue unless Archie or Sega tells us, but we'll see what they tell us and what we can infer based on other events when the time comes.

• Thumbs Up 2

On an unrelated note (yet still related to the comics), It's apparently now been revealed that the third gameplay style in Sonic Forces is a third playable and customizable character, which in turn confirms that the FF are now canon to the games (at least if you create them). :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Well... you can potentially create ONE of them, at least. That one being Bunnie, since rabbits are one of the species choices. There's no option for squirrels/chipmunks, coyotes (I guess the wolf might be close enough?) lynxes or walruses, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Metal Sonic NEGA said:

Well... you can potentially create ONE of them, at least. That one being Bunnie, since rabbits are one of the species choices. There's no option for squirrels/chipmunks, coyotes (I guess the wolf might be close enough?) lynxes or walruses, though.

You could also create Lupe.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Borvoc said:

On an unrelated note (yet still related to the comics), It's apparently now been revealed that the third gameplay style in Sonic Forces is a third playable and customizable character, which in turn confirms that the FF are now canon to the games (at least if you create them). :P

Pardon me for bringing up any theories, but I really hope that this isn't "Sega's Next Big Thing" for Sonic. What I mean is that I hope they don't expect to replace the Archie comics with this because this isn't really going to fulfill the hole in my heart that I cancellation would bring. I would like to hope that Archie and Sega aren't talking about how to move the comic more towards a different path than the one its currently on. Because of all the shock of the news, I've become worried about what this all means. Sadly, I don't think I'll be getting any official reassurance any time soon :(.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, but that is off-topic as well as being both entirely insincere and entirely sincere sameoltimeously.

• Thumbs Up 1