Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 hour ago, aquaz said:

My local comic shop has just informed me that all of those below were cancelled by publisher :

SONIC HEDGEHOG #291 COVER A
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #292 COVER A
SONIC MEGA DRIVE OVERDRIVE
SONIC HEDGEHOG #293 COVER A
SONIC MEGA MAN WORLDS UNITE VOL 03 SC
SONIC UNIVERSE #96 COVER A
SONIC HEDGEHOG #294 COVER A
SONIC UNIVERSE #97 COVER A

Good night, and good luck.

Okay, so StH#292, StH#293. Unite volume 3, SU#96 and SU#97 would all be new additions to the cancellation pile if so. 

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

That would be the worst Steven Universe episode ever. Even worse than literally any episode that tries to make us think Lars isn't Garbage.

At least Lars is better than Ronaldo, Onion, or Marty. 

And on-topic, what's left that hasn't been cancelled?

On ‎7‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 10:28 PM, Borvoc said:

@BlueSky And now I want to see Big sing something.

Edit: Probably about Froggy.

Way to go sir, now I need to add my list a task of drawing a fat stick cat singing serenade to a small stick frog... :D In the meantime @Borvoc can enjoy this singing big cat altough he's yellow:

https://youtu.be/x3J1IutkXLs?t=1m32s (it's a link that starts in the middle of the video, that's why it won't show the thing here I suppose. If it won't work that way, the time is around 1:32 where the thing starts... if you're interested)

I dunno, why not to ask Mr. Flynn on BumbleKast's Q&A section to do an imitaition-singing if you can come up with some song, then we'd have a rough estimate of how it would sound at least. ^_^

And all this back and forth made me realise how this whole mess could easily be imagined as an epitome of the most stereotypical form of capitalism; big corps want your money and will only give back the smallest/cheapest thing they can come up with if anything at all. Way to go, altough I have to admit high taxes system isn't that cool when the rich minority get all the tax money because their friends in politics make all sorts of funding/backuping methods for companies for money transfers to their "buddies"... meh. Nothing works when some get greedy. :(

Talking about things like that, I wouldn't be that surprised about that call-answering lady's surname thing; isn't Archie supposed to be a family company or have I got it wrong yet again? :huh: That and there's that fact it's hard to get a job without connections these days, at least in here where I live... So I'm not making it anything really. ;)

Maybe everybody should just make their own comics, with black jack and that other thing... Everyone could be almost pleased, the only problem is that's not official Sega licensed material which seems to mean some (not in here but out there) people a lot. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

And on-topic, what's left that hasn't been cancelled?

Well, it didn't mention Sonic Universe #95, so technically that. 

Otherwise...if the local comic seller is truth, then that's it. 

3 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

Penders and Flynn fuse and they create an overly planned 500+ issue arc that it's all about Echidnas and is a setup for the 1000+ issue Lara-Su choronicles prologue. 

So what does Flynn bring to the fusion, then?

1 minute ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

So what does Flynn bring to the fusion, then?

I assume that he brings the setup. Or we could go with the meme that this is all for an inter-company crossover. Maybe the fusion could host a topical podcast and answer fan questions? Maybe he is lord of Echidnas, E'chid'nyas, and also the bumbles?

2 hours ago, BlueSky said:

Talking about things like that, I wouldn't be that surprised about that call-answering lady's surname thing; isn't Archie supposed to be a family company or have I got it wrong yet again? :huh: That and there's that fact it's hard to get a job without connections these days, at least in here where I live... So I'm not making it anything really. ;)

Archie is still owned by the relatives of the founders, so I guess you could call it a family company. They did go public back in the 70s but then went back to private ownership in the 80s. Now its solely owned by both Jon Goldwater and Nancy Silberkleit.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Otherwise...if the local comic seller is truth, then that's it. 

Ok so we gone from being convinced that a user who knew a guy who knew a guy who works for Archie that the comics are fucked, to being convinced that a local comic book shop employee had a list that said, "these comics be fucked", and that list was so magical and accurate, that it causes Jon Goldwater to hold a press conference where he pretty much says "You got me, I was going to cancel them comics all along MUAHAHAHAHA!", and then Aaron Webber will be like, "Well we tried our best to convince them. But lets be honest, you guys don't really need the comics...

Spoiler

because you will finally be able to craft your own Sonic story with our 3rd Sonic Forces character, who will be your online OC for the Massive Multiplayer RPG Platfromer Online Mode for Sonic Forces"

• Thumbs Up 2

1. I did say if true. Notice the window to be proven false there (also by "that's it" I meant SU#95 is the only one not cancelled by publisher, not anything else).

2. This one's easy enough to verify once the June cancellation list is uploaded. 

• Thumbs Up 1

With Bleeding Cool, was it yesterday?, and now a tweet from Archie, I feel like something has changed in last couple days, even if it's just attitude.

• Thumbs Up 2

And look with that, official word from Archie that they're still currently in talks with SEGA regarding the series.

So much for that insider's story that the comic is cancelled, dead, RIP and has been for months. Just another repeat of the previous four months I guess where we heard the same story from many various "insiders" and they ended up debunked.

And before someone strikes back with "they could be just saying that", Well what benefit would there be to Archie finally saying something to bullshit? They'd either keep their mouths shut and not say a word, or they finally decided to own up to what's happening, and it looks like for all the panic and stories, we're right back to where we were with our speculation, that Archie/SEGA are still in talks.

• Thumbs Up 6

Archie may not have killed sonic. 

But lol if they think this hasn't done the comic major damage to the point of death. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Okay, so StH#292, StH#293. Unite volume 3, SU#96 and SU#97 would all be new additions to the cancellation pile if so. 

Just a word of caution here - the retailer was likely looking at the notices he gets through Diamond (the distributor) which also runs PREVIEWS WORLD. It's all tied together. So the notices of "cancelation" are really a notice that the solicitation (Diamond order code, release date, etc) are what was canceled - not that the series itself was officially canceled.

Archie has done that before - canceled a solicit for Afterlife with Archie - only to resolicit it later. If Archie gets to publish Sonic again, they'll have to resolicit the issues through diamond so that the comic shops can see it on their monthly order forms.

44 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Hey look they finally acknowledged Sonic. 

This is a good thing - it shows that progress has been made in some form to where they can acknowledge it publicly.

• Thumbs Up 5

Regarding Archie's tweet, its nice to see they finally acknowledging publicly the situation, (maybe this means soon we'll get more updates? )

also, @CiNozzo , would you have more of those screenshots from the old comic blog? i never got to see it live when it was a thing

3 hours ago, ChromeDome93 said:

This is a good thing - it shows that progress has been made in some form to where they can acknowledge it publicly.

Or at least Archie is starting to finally feel the heat and decided to comment as a way to try and defuse the issue.

Archie might not directly care about the Sonic comic anymore but even they have to acknowledge this lack of communication makes them look incompetent. Which they are of course but it's still bad for Archie's business if that illusion of competence gets smashed in the press. The reputation that Archie has earned thanks to the middling success of Riverdale on TV would be undermining if they left their core comic business fall apart at the seams.

• Thumbs Up 1

Call me pessimistic but I dont think that response means anything. I think maybe they felt someone needed to say something. 

That response isn't anything, and is legally murky enough so they can say they are talking with the rights holders to which everyone already assumed. And will tell us something if they can, something that everyone already assumed. It isn't as bad as "the reason there is a delay is because there is a delay" but it isn't anything hopeful either.

Archie and sega are two different types of dumpster fires when it comes to this sort of thing. So I'm a wait and see kind of guy on this. So untill I see a statement, I'll reserve hope

• Thumbs Up 9

16 hours ago, ChromeDome93 said:

Just a word of caution here - the retailer was likely looking at the notices he gets through Diamond (the distributor) which also runs PREVIEWS WORLD. It's all tied together. So the notices of "cancelation" are really a notice that the solicitation (Diamond order code, release date, etc) are what was canceled - not that the series itself was officially canceled.

Archie has done that before - canceled a solicit for Afterlife with Archie - only to resolicit it later. If Archie gets to publish Sonic again, they'll have to resolicit the issues through diamond so that the comic shops can see it on their monthly order forms.

Having a comic absent for near 6 months is never a good thing. Regardless this is hurting them regardless of that tweet exciting die hards

On the face of things, Archie is probably being hit in the pocketbook based merely on the fact that new Sonic books aren't being placed on magazine racks or online for people to buy on a per-book basis. On top of that, even if or when the books return, readers with a mail subscription for one or more of the books aren't going to be paying Archie to renew their subscriptions as soon as they otherwise would, because they are still owed issues that have not yet been fulfilled. This is also a loss in potential profits.

And those are all just direct losses based on lack of current product to sell. Add to that, as @Meta77 mentioned, the possible affect the delays could have on current subscribers or even issue-by-issue buyers, assuming again that the books return.

Granted, Sonic isn't Archie's only money-maker, and the new Archie books and the Riverdale show may be either somewhat or more than compensating for this loss. There's also the possibility that this apparently unwanted publicity around the books could actually spark more interest for those who hadn't previously been readers as well as causing current and lapsed readers to appreciate them more once they return (again, assuming). That, and one would think that new Sonic games coming out in the future can't hurt interest in the books if they are to return.

I guess all I'm saying is that it would be interesting to see what happens sales-wise to the books if they do return, not that we'll be privy to that information in total anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Granted though, Archie is still selling older issues of the Sonic comics, so they are still getting money from that.

But there is something else I wanted to talk about, something that pisses me off even more than this hiatus. I've been noticing that a lot of the rumors about cancellation seem to come from people who probably don't really care that much for the comics. Either they ditched it after it got rebooted, or they outright just don't care. It's like a joke to them that the comics are going through this; a joke that could very well become reality, and have a lot of consequences to a number of people. I personally don't get the reason why other than for the luls and memes.

I'm more talking about people who are said to be very popular within the Sonic Fandom, with twitter followers in the thousands. Those jokes about the comics dying are getting into the fans' heads. In turn, they try to find reason to believe that this is it, they're dead. It also makes me feel like, they honestly don't give a shit about the fans of the comic. But they will never outright say that because they know that its pretty much the equivalent of attacking a hornets nest. My apologizes if I offended anyone with this rant, I just felt that I needed to get it off my chest.

Spoiler

I also feel as though this kind of behavior happens a lot in other fandoms and not just Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

@JC_Mike I could be wrong, but I feel as though this is a sort of wish-fulfillment thing. People who don't like the comics, Archie, or the reboot want to be vindicated by having the thing they don't like (the comic, Archie, etc.) fail. They may on top of this believe that whatever came along to replace it (assuming something did) would be better. This bias feeds into their perception of real world events, and they're more likely to interpret things negatively in regards to the comics' status. This is not because they are pessimistic but because they are optimistic—they want it to fail.

I could be wrong, and I'm not saying this about anyone in this thread. Some do like the comic and are either pessimistic or just honestly think it's dead. Some don't like it but do not harbor ill will. If I'm right to some extent, though, then this fandom is certainly not the only fandom like this. Heck, you could probably apply this to non-fandoms like scientific studies, stock trading, interpersonal relationships, etc., too.

All this not to say the comic isn't dead—it might be. I just like it and therefore don't want to call it before I have to. I'm more than happy to have things go back to normal.

Or maybe I'm wrong about all this. ^_^;

• Thumbs Up 5

20 hours ago, NikoS said:

also, @CiNozzo , would you have more of those screenshots from the old comic blog? i never got to see it live when it was a thing

I think the Dark Mobius arc, was the only one to have a prologue and epilogue in the blog (Sonic Genesis also had some, but that was in a GN I think, so I'm not sure I can post them here).

Prologue

Spoiler

ASU_025_01.png

ASU_025_02.png

ASU_025_03.png

ASU_025_04.png

ASU_025_05.png

ASU_025_06.png

ASU_025_07.png

ASU_025_08.png

ASU_025_09.png

Epilogue

Spoiler

ZSU_028_00.png

ZSU_028_01.png

ZSU_028_02.png

ZSU_028_03.png

ZSU_028_04.png

• Thumbs Up 9

I wish they were able to include those in the GN release like they originally planned.

Also those Genesis epilogues were in a FCBD issue.

• Thumbs Up 5

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

At least Lars is better than Ronaldo, Onion, or Marty. 

I don't get the hate for Ronaldo I think he's hilarious and you're suppose to hate Marty.