Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

...Huh, well that explains it. I can at least take off that point, but the overall conclusion is the same. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yea, the shop has never gone down, only the subscriptions, and those should (in theory anyway) be back up once Archie can get Sonic out on a regular schedule again.

And as I stated on Twitter, not all books have been pushed back to April, Sonic #291 & #292 have been pushed back to March, not April, it was only Sonic Universe #95 that was pushed back to April.

Again overall we don't know the actual reason for the delays, if it was a licensing issue, a legal issue, a printing delay, financial trouble on Archie's part, nobody knows for sure.  But as far as we know the comics should be back on track by March, and we may or may not get Super Special Magazine #14 in February.

Just have to wait & see where things land.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just bought and read SU #94 today. 

S'alright.

Yeah. Wasn't bad but when all's said and done the interesting characters could only carry the thing so far when what ended up happening wasn't really all that remarkable. The first two issues of this arc were definitely the better ones of the lot for me. Issues 3 and 4 weren't bad but it was where it was starting to sink in that what was happening probably wasn't going to be all that breath-taking. They just kind of bolted after Charmy stole the key and the wrap up happened. It's a little par for the course when it comes to Sonic Universe Arcs to have the wrap-up be super quick but this one was helped by the fact that last issue didn't end on some full page spread of a big, impressive looking final boss thing only for it to be beaten in the first few pages in a quick resolution. That problem could be fixed if the 3rd issue were utilized better in some of these arcs to have a lot of the fighting with the final confrontation begin there and for it to resolve in the next one but I suppose that somehow makes having climatic final page spreads harder. Or something.

But I enjoyed this a lot. I'm glad the Chaotix finally got to star in their own Sonic Universe arc. They didn't need Knuckles to headline it. They didn't secretly have it be about Mighty. In the end it was probably about on the level of the Chaos Caper. Although the Chaos Caper was a little more consistent all throughout. This one had a really nice high for me at the beginning and a bit of a mellow finish. Too early to determine which I liked better. Although, I will say I liked how the Chaotix acted and treated each other in this one more. 

On the flip side, I also bought the 3rd issue of that new Genesis arc that's happening... weeks ago. And I still haven't read it yet.

Kind of shows how little I care about it...

15 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

On the flip side, I also bought the 3rd issue of that new Genesis arc that's happening... weeks ago. And I still haven't read it yet.

Kind of shows how little I care about it...

StH #290 is actually a step up from the lackluster issues that were #288 and #289, considering the coloring is actually visually appealing (seriously hope Cassata sticks with that coloring but I doubt it) and Yardley's work is a little better looking this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

That doesn't really address the predictable story tho, which is the main gripe.

It's not bad, but it's something the fandom is already too familiar with and doesn't do that much fresh. Granted, it's useful for new fans, so that's one benefit.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, BlueSpeeder said:

StH #290 is actually a step up from the lackluster issues that were #288 and #289

not that it's a big accomplishment

25 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

In the end it was probably about on the level of the Chaos Caper. Although the Chaos Caper was a little more consistent all throughout. This one had a really nice high for me at the beginning and a bit of a mellow finish. Too early to determine which I liked better. Although, I will say I liked how the Chaotix acted and treated each other in this one more. 

I would say this one is better. Chaotix in caper are slightly too much of incompetent clowns. Second issue is just "how to fill a pages between meeting Fang and meeting Chip. You know, I think we didn't waste enough pages talking about ghosts, even though we won't use them in the story." And comedy was better in Pirate Princess.

On the upside, Chaos Caper had Relic and better climax (heck, it had action scenes in general), but I just found whole arc kinda boring. I feel like it could been told in 2 issues, 3 tops.

I would like a change of pace in terms of story pacing, I feel like a lot of the stories follow the same pacing, I don't know if it ssega or not. But if it does continue, it would be dope, if they tried different things. 

Like if it ended unceremoniously .  

I'm looking forward to reading issue 300 in late 2018.

(unless the comic gets canned before it even reaches 300)

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it's already going to miss the 25th anniversary of the Archie Sonic series starting. Originally was slated for November 2017 by extrapolation, 25 years to the month since Sonic Miniseries #0 (and Sonic #1/4) came out. Now, if it does come out, it'll be January 2018 at earliest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I'm looking forward to reading issue 300 in late 2018.

(unless the comic gets canned before it even reaches 300)

Well, seeing the newest solicits gave a bit of hope, since you'd think a licensing issue would stop that as well.  One idea is that it might be the same problem as last year's debacle - a printing problem being the reason for this conundrum.  Regardless, when this comic dies (because nothing lasts forever), I'd like to see it past 300.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Well, seeing the newest solicits gave a bit of hope, since you'd think a licensing issue would stop that as well.  One idea is that it might be the same problem as last year's debacle - a printing problem being the reason for this conundrum.  Regardless, when this comic dies (because nothing lasts forever), I'd like to see it past 300.

Truthfully, I don't know what to think anymore, lol. Maybe it's a licensing problem, maybe it's a printing problem, maybe Archie's just phasing out their licensed stuff in favor of their own series (though admittedly I don't think that's likely), I dunno. The new solicits are a good sign, I suppose, but the constant delays and silence on the matter don't really help much. If it can reach 300 before it ends, that'd be great, yeah, but at this point all that's happened has me doubting whether it'll even get there at all. Then again maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Whatever the case may be, this can't be good for sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

at least these delays suggests they are trying to keep the dates in between march/april, not delaying it to a far date like they did with the saga series (before cancellation). [optimistic view]at best this suggests they do want to continue with the book : ) [/optimistic view]

• Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, it's already going to miss the 25th anniversary of the Archie Sonic series starting. Originally was slated for November 2017 by extrapolation, 25 years to the month since Sonic Miniseries #0 (and Sonic #1/4) came out. Now, if it does come out, it'll be January 2018 at earliest. 

The release of the ongoing series is considered the official anniversary, so it would be May 2018.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Archie: Screw Schedules, we just put crap out when we feel like it! :P

Honestly Archie is becoming increasingly bad about this as a company as a whole.  Other then Archie & Jughead they can't get anything out on time.  The third issue of Betty & Veronica, their female leads got pushed back from last fall to this Spring, the Afterlife, Chilling Adventures  & Dark Circle books have no steady schedule, and heck even Digests have suffered two week - one month delays off & on over the past couple of years.  Archie really just needs to get their act together or people will be dropping all their books like crazy.  Fans can only out up with so much before they just call it quites.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Archie: Screw Schedules, we just put crap out when we feel like it! :P

Honestly Archie is becoming increasingly bad about this as a company as a whole.  Other then Archie & Jughead they can't get anything out on time.  The third issue of Betty & Veronica, their female leads got pushed back from last fall to this Spring, the Afterlife, Chilling Adventures  & Dark Circle books have no steady schedule, and heck even Digests have suffered two week - one month delays off & on over the past couple of years.  Archie really just needs to get their act together or people will be dropping all their books like crazy.  Fans can only out up with so much before they just call it quites.

Hell, they can't even get the first issue of their ongoing Riverdale spin-off out the door. The first issue has been resolicited twice now.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hell, they can't even get the first issue of their ongoing Riverdale spin-off out the door. The first issue has been resolicited twice now.

I dunno if it's financial troubles or working with a crappy printing press, but Archie needs to either get better accountants, or printers or something to fix these problems. 

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Wait, I just realized that 292 was also delayed to the 22nd. Guess that'll end up getting pushed back again, too.

They should delay 292 to 9/22. Just for the numbers.

I still hope all Archie will just say "screw it" and release 291-293 on the same day.XD.

Again, highly unlikely, but would be a nice way to make up for the delays.  Would also be fine with SU 95-87 all getting April 12th releases.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Wait, I just realized that 292 was also delayed to the 22nd. Guess that'll end up getting pushed back again, too.

Although I'm still pretty confused over this mess, I'm still getting some serious deja vu from last year's incident.  The difference being we don't know if it's a printing problem, or something else.  And with it being freaking Archie, it could be damn near anything...  All we've got for comfort is that, at least on the face of it, the comics are still going, albeit delayed (again).  For now, I'll stay cautiously optimistic.  Doesn't stop me from being prepared for the worse though :/

• Thumbs Up 2

Overdrive is now set for a March 29th release.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN171337

Heck maybe the rumor about them not being legally able to publish any Sonic books till around April is true. :P

At this point the only Sonic book that will come out this month is Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 if it doesn't get delayed or flat out canceled again.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not necessarily.  Remember the delay we had last year?  To make up for it, the rate issues were released at for the rest of the year was sped up slightly, and we still got 12 issues over the course of 10 months.

• Thumbs Up 5