Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

So, half because I've wanted to discuss it for a while, and half because I wanna change the subject already, what do you legitimately imagine the next big story arc to be, since it's apparently not Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

So, half because I've wanted to discuss it for a while, and half because I wanna change the subject already, what do you legitimately imagine the next big story arc to be, since it's apparently not Lost World?

Well, I've noticed that this new reality still hasn't been completely stabilized. The planet's been fixed, but there's still the matter of the Genesis Portals- the last remnants of the old multiverse, which will tear all of Sonic's reality apart unless Pothead the Porcupine can seal them all up. I'd like to see Sonic and friends team up with him and travel the multiverse, introducing us to these new realities and finally sealing the deal on this reboot.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Well, I've noticed that this new reality still hasn't been completely stabilized. The planet's been fixed, but there's still the matter of the Genesis Portals- the last remnants of the old multiverse, which will tear all of Sonic's reality apart unless Pothead the Porcupine can seal them all up. I'd like to see Sonic and friends team up with him and travel the multiverse, introducing us to these new realities and finally sealing the deal on this reboot.

After spending 2 years setting up the new world, I don't think devoting a large-scale arc to ignoring it is really the best idea.

And honestly, I kinda keep forgetting Silver still exists in the comic.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You brought up eclipse, while what eclipse plan is, isn't world building, eclipse himself and having other black arms, that's actually world or in this case universe building, the sea mobians, world building. 

You mean the same Eclipse that you claimed to enjoy? I agree and that was the point I was getting at. Him and his black arms are world building.

That's funny. Because its hard to fail at "ALL" attempts at world building, if you succeeded at building up a part of that world.

And the deers actually have one of the few interesting plot threads going. That doesn't make every story in this book good. 

but it does make, at the very least, that one plot thread good. In your own words no less.

Which again is funny, because I could have swore not a day ago you claimed there were none. Ian fails at "ALL" attempts mean that none are successful, but here you are telling me that Cassia and Clove are worth your attention.

Imagine how confused I must be reading your responses at this point.

That's subjective my dude. 

Subjective my dude. 

All opinions are subjective. Its only a problem when you start talking about them in absolutes -- like you had been doing.

What even is this example? I Never made s a statement remotely like this at all. Like seriously... who are you talking to? Are you having a secret 2nd discussion with someone I can't see?

Sure you did.

You said -- and I'll go grab the quote word for word -- "than Ian has failed at every time"

Opinion or not, you spoke in absolute terms with that statement. Absolute terms that have been contradicted by your own words multiple times before and after you made that statement.

Your defending yourself like someone is shaking you down for having an opinion when that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm simply pointing out that your positions do not add up. You seem to be intent on defending this position here, regardless of the fact that your other opinions cut down your words for me. I could care less about how you feel about an individual topic or character. What I care about is how you can claim that Ian did a good job with the Egg Bosses, how he did a good job with Eclipse, how you concede that Cassia and Clove have an engaging plot line going for them at the moment, -- but somehow Ian Fails at all attempts.

Failing at all attempts means that there is no success. None at all.

You can't hide behind your words by labeling them as opinions. Those statements do not work both ways. You dug your own grave with that one.

I did, I'll do it again

No you didn't.

You just said Cassia and Clove had a good thing going and that you enjoyed what had been done so far with Eclipse and the Black Arms.

You can't claim to rebuke anything and everything after 252 and then claim affinity for some of it. If you do, you clearly are not rebuking all of it. Your just fibbing to save face.

Like I said before. In order for your Ian Fails claim to be true, you'd need to be willing to frown on anything and everything post 252. All the world building efforts. All the plotlines. all the characters. EVERYTHING.

We already know you can't do that. You've already owned up to being happy with the Doe's and Eclipse.

So either you pulled a wicked 180 on your stance on those characters in the last 2 hours, or you are not telling the truth with that previous statement.  

Nobody is attacking you for having your opinions. I'm more concerned about giving you flak for half-baked statements and bold faced lies.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I'd be up for another Silver story, perhaps taking place in the present with the other characters. Especially if it means more time to develop Gold. Poor lass

• Thumbs Up 8

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I have respected your right to have opinions and have argued against those opinions, you have argued against my having one. 

Well you have an incredibly bizzare way of showing it giving how dismissive you've acted about it.

No, but words saying that I'm entitled because I don't like what you like. Maybe suggest that you might be a bit upset yes. 

For one, I've said repeatedly that I don't care if you don't like what I do, and this has been on deaf ears with you at least three times. And this makes it even harder to believe you're being anything respectful in return - I've argued with plenty of people here that don't care for the things I like, but are far more respectful and not dismissive about it compared to you.

On top of that, they've been far more tolerant and open-minded compared to what you have shown me, willing to accept things rather than wanting things excluded just for their sake while disregarding the thoughts of others who happen to like said things. Even when they show that they'd rather something be their way, most of them have the tact to get it across without coming off as entitled about it, which is the key difference I'm calling out about you.

No you call that having an opinion that contrasts yours. And you deal with it, like an adult.People are not obligated to like what you like or even desire what you desire or even want it around.

Yeah, that doesn't stop it from being selfish, dude. Trying to paint that as "realism" is obnoxious at best and doesn't make any less of what it really is, whether people like what I like or not.

7 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought Ian said he had that on hold for now because reasons? After that, only thing I can imagine is a Silver arc or something involving Eclispe and his Dark Arms, but other than that I'm waiting to be surprised at what we'll get given how much we're in the dark on his plans.

If you ask me, I'd like to see more of the Egg Bosses threatening shit if anything and having Eggman gain more ground to conquer.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, LukA8 said:

You just brought me to an idea...What if Lieutenant Echo is actually in on the kidnapping? I feel this would be a great twist for the arc, especially since we have Razor as our typical suspect who's obviously been with the pirates before. But her? There's something that seems almost too convenient with her story, and even the issue's cover points to her being a villain. There's a lot that doesn't make sense right now, of course, like why would she hire and lead the Chaotix to the pirates' trap?

This is probably just me, though, hoping for some sort of crime fiction here. They probably just didn't want the Chaotix investigating a whole issue to get them on that pirate ship faster.

Glad to be of service. ^_^ That would be interesting, since it could give her more reasons to be "looking for" the princess. Still even if it isn't this, there's most definitely some reason(s) for her to search for the princess.

Maybe those two will try and get a revenge of that priestess-thing (secretly envious/something, women also can be pretty double-faced sometimes, saying something for someone and telling it to someone else the other way around) now that they have Razor in their hands? Oh I really should stop making wild idea-throws around... 

13 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Well, I had (mostly because of BumbleKast) that idea that Mr. Flynn will do some smaller-group stories for some time now. I suppose there will be something to connect it, but I'm not too certain if the upcoming flashback arc is kind of making some kind of "setting" for the theme connecting the stuff? Of course, if there's someone who's certain what other game plots are still "unused" at this point, there would maybe lie an answer to that. Still something original would be funny too, since gameplots nowadays... well... yeah. I don't know, maybe something about that in-testing new Roboticizer or something? That one that was brought up in the last issue of "Eggman's Dozen"?

Poor tassel-boy, maybe fanbase should learn not to bring those one-line-speaking filler-characters in discussion considering their usage after one time?

But I'd like to see that Lost World teasing to go at least somewhere at least at some point. Ideal would be within 10 years or so.

13 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Well, one part of it not being really pondered over would be the fact how the idea of the old continuity affecting this continuity wasn't really anything other than a way to keep stuff somewhat in one piece and connect pre-reboot and reboot continuities so that issue-numbering could be kept up as it is, at least that's the feeling I got, again, after listening to BumbleKast and seeing some other stuff around the matter. This might not be the real deal, please feel free to correct me.

And come to think of it, maybe the in-universe reason of them not existing anymore ties into that crossover, since didn't Silvers latest SU arc happen before the WU? Like Xander-Ex Machina happened and all got better. Or maybe portals aren't showing up since Silver & Co. managed to bring them down thus making them not to appear in that (in their point of view) before-theirs-timeline (as in "the current Sonic timeline")? Am I even making any sense right now, this is even harder in English... 

14 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

The Genisis Portals have nothing to do with the old Multiverse. They're just how characters get around the New Multiverse since there's no Zone Cops.

15 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

The Genisis Portals have nothing to do with the old Multiverse. They're just how characters get around the New Multiverse since there's no Zone Cops.

No, they're what's left of the old reality, as Professor Von Schlemmer explained:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20161009220623

This doesn't mean we're going to see anything of the old continuity again, but these portals need to be closed before this new timeline is completely stabilized.

• Thumbs Up 3

^ It seems Snivley is a bit of a pessimist/realist in there. But considering how confident Eggman is it's probably best for the balance... Was that fall-one kind of "pun entirely intended" by the way? :huh:

So, Mega Drive The Next Level arrived for me today, and I really hope they get Tyson Hesse onto the main comics, because I love his artwork. I love how expressive it is, and how much effort he places into the expressions. They're a big part of what makes the humor in Mega Drive work so well. The comic is as well written as the first issue, and has a better sense of pacing thanks to the additional pages. Eggman, Knuckles, and Amy in particular are my favourites thus far. It's comedy gold how fast Eggman switches from his over the top hammy evil performance to a "oh crap, time to bargain" performance. I think the best one was when they catch him trying to kill them with lava, and all he can possibly he reply with is (paraphrasing) "Well, to be fair, Lava is a more dangerous trap than water right?". Amy's expressions and her crush on Sonic leads to some really funny moments where she's trying to figure out ways to keep Sonic doing romantic stuff for her, as seen at the end of the comic. 

Honestly, Mega Drive is the best case I've ever seen where they handle Amy's crush because she still acts like a levelheaded and fun character, and she doesn't constantly scream for Sonic to marry her, and constantly do nothing but say "ohhhhh sonic~ *insert marriage/romance reference here*" while trying to trick him into marriage, or trick him into a date or whatever. It's portrayed really realistically and in-character for the Sonic franchise, where it's just small moments like Sonic holding Amy after saving her, and Amy not wanting it to end, just leading to a small annoyed expression on Sonic. It's how I really want Amy to be portrayed in all elements of the franchise, and while I think her Archie version is really damn good, she still has some of those fangirl moments for Sonic that leads me to think this is the best version of her to date, just slightly above the Archie version. Ironically, I thought the Boom Amy was one of the best versions until it got to a few episodes in and she turned into a real control freak, and nag, as well as having a really annoying self-righteous attitude. 

Knuckles is my favourite of the Sonic characters (His normal version anyway, specifically the Archie version) and I like how he's portrayed here. I like how they show off that Knuckles isn't an idiot character, but rather that he's just really naive, and egotistical, and that mixture of personality traits just leads to him being tricked by appealing to said ego in order to convince him. The funny moments and expressions with Knuckles were in full drive here, but just like how the main series had Knuckles and Sonic having a real rivalry friendship, with each of them teasing the other (Which was one of my favourite things about post!reboot Knuckles), I'm so happy to see that again in Mega Drive. Between their arguments and looks of annoyance, to the two teaming up and treating their fights against Eggman's mechs as competitions, it's just so fun to watch.

Small final thing that I want to mention, but as disappointingly short as the Metal Sonic fight was in this issue, I loved how well done the art was, and it's a main reason that I'd love if we can get Tyson Hesse onto the main Archie Sonic line because he does some really well done fight scenes with a lot of energy.

• Thumbs Up 5

I got #288 in the mail today and got Universe #91 in the mail last week. Honestly enjoyed both issues but enjoyed Universe more. 

Here's the letter editor page and off-panel page for #288.

tumblr_oganfmpWxb1tlfjtro1_1280.png

tumblr_ogandmHzIY1tlfjtro2_1280.png

I enjoyed the off panel. :x

• Thumbs Up 4

The Sonic MegaDrive series currently being worked on by Archie is some of the best Sonic I have read in years. It captures the feel and dynamic of the 16 Genesis games, and transforms them into comic form. Sonic is a bit of a troll to Knuckles, but that is what makes the comedy work so well. The art also looks stunning, and can't wait for the final issue. I would like to talk more about it, but no spoilers. Obviously (:

Lets boil this down to what I think the core issue is here

No you didn't.

You just said Cassia and Clove had a good thing going and that you enjoyed what had been done so far with Eclipse and the Black Arms.

I said Those things have potential, they haven't been used much. And i'm particularly talking about the characters for the most part actually.  Particularly in reference to the deer, the black arms can be used to greater effect and can possibly be good world building... but they need to be used. Especially at more regular intervals., the black arms looses all sense of being a looming threat when it takes shadow literal years to get to it. Unless they are going to give shadow his own book( I would not mind) it may have been a bad idea to start up a black arms plot line up. 

But yeah characters=/= world

You can't claim to rebuke anything and everything after 252 and then claim affinity for some of it. If you do, you clearly are not rebuking all of it. Your just fibbing to save face.

No, didn't rebuke everything, I just don't like the world building ... which isn't everything. But again I've told you this multiple times you refuse to quote me saying this to you and you refuse to listen. Then act as if i'm not making sense, when I have explained to you multiple times that world building is a part of a narrative not its whole. I'm tempted to just quote myself if you do this again until you actually listen. Because if you choose not to this argument or whatever you want to call this fustercluck is going to go nowhere.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:15 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

Sonic 2017 lead up story?

The black arms come through and its just an alien invasion arc?

An arc where sonic teaches us the fine details of chili dog making

I would say a time travel arc, I ussually love those, but a lot of the pre -reboot has me on some ptsd type shit when it comes to this comic and time travel. I just.. I can't 

Arc in blaze's world?

Fugitive shadow, snively uses all the chaos and alien mumbo jumbo to get the already distrusting Gun to find shadow a complete threat. 

A sonic battle sequal arc to sonic the fighters champions arc

An arc that's just a sonic 06 loading screen. 

Or , wild opinion here, no big story arcs. Just some shorter adventures for a hot minute. How about we slow down. Because dwelling on stuff that was ultimately uninteresting is how we got here in the first place.  How about we go  for jog and not a marathon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Lets boil this down to what I think the core issue is here

The core issue is that your consistently downplaying the role characters play in that world building. The faces of the new world are just as important as the places. You are more than happy to knock Ian for what you see as his shortcomings, while double-talking to the successes you've already admitted to him having.

I'm pretty content in that I made that point clear enough already. It time to let this topic move on it way.

• Thumbs Up 7

I read Next Level just today and like Ryan, I am yearning for the day Hesse draws for the main comic again.  Although Skelly is my favourite, he gives a damn good try in making him level with her.  He's pretty much a master of humour and action, yet he can also do threatening stuff as well (his Metal Sonic is perfectly intimidating).  What's really good is how well Ian juggled with the cast, showing no signs of favouring anyone over the other.  The only shame is that this wonderful little project ends next year. 

Actually, earlier Eric in his tumblr made a statement that the off panels he was doing here are based on this game...

54 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I like how the recap page gives Snively his own "official" classic brand artwork.

IMG_7650.PNG

I'm guessing that's all Vin's work?

All my life... I've waited for this moment... the time has come. Everything I've done, all I've lived for, has been for the sanctity of this one... glorious moment...

I GOT SONIC UNIVERSE 91 AND READ AN ISSUE WHERE THE CHAOTIX WERE THE MAIN CHARACTERS! 

Not Knuckles. Not Mighty the Dill Pickle. My favorite team from Sonic Heroes! 

I usually write up these long, thoughtful, play by plays about what I liked and didn't like about the issue but fuck that. I can't. The power of Chaotix compels me to gush and fanboy over this. I loved it. All of it. 

A+

5/5 Stars!

Thumbs Up!

4/4 Stars!

Charmy (Speaking the Goddamn truth): You're just being grumpy because pirates are cooler than ninja's.

Espio (Acting like a child): Vector, Charmy's speaking blasphemy.

Vector (The comical actor parent of two children): Don't make me turn this car around you two.

BANTER! Lovely banter. 

I'm gonna melt from happiness. I'm not fucking around...

• Thumbs Up 8

^ In order to get any kind of solution in the Pirates vs. Ninjas debate we first and foremost need to define the sort of types of pirates and ninjas we will compare to each other since those terms only define quite big portion of which side wins the debate/fight. Almost scientifically speaking. ^_^

My humble opinion is Espio is a way cooler a ninja than about anyone in Naruto for example, probably because Naruto wasn't really meant to be a manga about ninjas to begin with...

But yeah, the Chaotix did feel like a close (practically) family. Which is nice, it makes story more relatable in a way. You kind of feel the stuff happening in the comic as if you'd be a part of it.

Guys.

Archie just sent me the issues I was missing, along with PART 2 OF PIRATE PRINCESS!

I don't think I was supposed to get this one yet, but I'll share some spoilers and pics later!

UPDATE: (Here's a summary for now):

Spoiler

It starts with Vector narrating noir-style again, and Captain ShellBreaker (the otter on the cover) recognizing Razor as a traitor to his crew! (And making a bad otter pun) Razor claims he wants to make amends to the pirates and rejoin them, and Vector, catching on to his ruse, signs the Chaotix onto the crew, as well. Espio refuses to become an "honorless thief", until he catches on, too. The crew agrees, since they're pretty short on staff. Most of their gang, including Abyss, ran out on them.

Echo is left out of the con, so she's heartbroken at everyone's betrayal. Undina suggests she be taken captive and held for ransom. (She speaks like a valley girl, by the way) And we get introduced to the crew. The yellow jellyfish chick is Opal, and the red, female shark is Blade. (Apparently she and Razor have a bad history- and they're siblings!) Undina explains her story to Vector: The reason the pirates decided to keep her because she was able to translate their old sea charts. (Something even Abyss couldn't do.) Back to the shark siblings- The pirates found them living on their own, and they brought them into their crew. They were like a big family, until Abyss and most of them left to join the Eggman Empire. And Razor left the crew because he had higher ethical standards. (They stole a ship full of medicine that people desperately needed. Razor decided that was going too far) 

The Chaotix get settled in, and Espio explains the rescue plan to Undina. "Call me Deena!" she says. And she doesn't mind staying with the pirates. She helps them find treasure, and she gets to see the world for free. They all go to bed, and Vector starts hatching up a plan to save the day.

For the Off-Panel, Opal suggests that Vector wear a hat and vest, making him an "IN-VEST-I-GATOR!" Vector flatly replies that he's a crocodile, and she calls him a killjoy.

I'll upload pics as soon as I can!

• Thumbs Up 9