Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Welp, if people are gonna complain about the Unleashed adaption being too short, they got themselves to blame then.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 5/16/2016 at 10:06 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

8 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Welp, if people are gonna complain about the Unleashed adaption being too short, they got themselves to blame then.

I don't think a lot of people are. There were complaining way back when. Unleashed as a thing, unless you are talking about the day time mechanics of that game. Wasnt that well received. And draging that stuff out over a year? Seemed like an odd descion, this just seems like the straw that broke the camels back rather than some sudden revelation. Most of the reactions ive seen have been for like the laat year have been "ill be glad when this is done".

I dont think people are too upset by this, but excited about what's over the horizon. Or at least curious.

It's funny how every big story Flynn wrote gets longer and longer. Darkest Storm, Chaos from Order, Eggman Empire: 2-3 issues. Enerjack 5, Scourge 8. Iron Dominium 12, Mecha Sally at least 17, Shatter World over 25.

Personally I wouldn't mind if planet stayed broken for years as a longer status quo. BUT I want some bigger stories to happen too. I get that Sonic can't fight gods every month, but once a year I want something bigger then Egg Boss or Badniks. So big storyline seems like excuse to not do it. "Return of Mephiles? Maybe later kid, planet is broken. One crisis at the time." (We sorta had crossover, but that's special case.)

I guess it would work if Unleashed had a major plot points spread out as my "bigger" stories. The problem is that Unleash has very little story, just instructions. Sonic turning into Werehog and Chip, those are actual story elements (first done even nicely 264-267, Chip not so much), talking with Pickle, talking with Gregorius, getting emerald, getting keys, that's not real plot. It's like having Zelda: Oracina of Time comic that doesn't focus on Sheik, but on Kaepora Gaebora (talking owl).

Ok, so why do we focus on keys and emeralds in the first place? It's an excuse for showing this brand new world and it isn't dumbest idea. Creating new status quo is first priority for Flynn. And it kinda worked during between crossover period. First issues were a little boring, but I guess Flynn felt a need to reestablish team for newcomers. Then we talked about feelings in Meropis, learned about Control with Moss and had blast with Breezie. Not exactly what I wanted, but there is variety and each story was better then previous.

Now issues post Unite: 276 starts fighting Egg army, we get a key. 277 start with fighting Egg army, meet new FF, we get a key. 278: Egg army, FF, key. 280: Egg army, key 281 Egg army, new FF, key. Six issues of same plots. Just why? For Eggman Dozen? That's some bad planning for a Flynn, guy who loves to plant plot points early and see them grow 20 issues later.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Plus, it's kinda hard to say the Unleashed adaptation is too short given it's been going on for well over 2 years. :P

But on top of what Toby listed, Ian does have a slight habit of keeping things going for a long time so he can get the full use out of it. And for many, that can risk an arc fatigue as a result, kinda like what happened back during the Iron Dominion and Mecha Sally arcs. Granted, I actually liked most of those arcs, but the pacing could've been better. Prolonging things isn't exactly a bad thing to do, and I for one would prefer the Unleashed arc to be a bit longer than it is now, but I can see the logic behind getting it done as quickly as possible. That's just made all the more glaring with the world (re)building being done here.

Just read Sonic Universe #85. Eggman's dozen is so fun to read! I like the powers of the Egg Bosses (especially Maw. Holy shit).

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Plus, it's kinda hard to say the Unleashed adaptation is too short given it's been going on for well over 2 years. :P

But on top of what Toby listed, Ian does have a slight habit of keeping things going for a long time so he can get the full use out of it. And for many, that can risk an arc fatigue as a result, kinda like what happened back during the Iron Dominion and Mecha Sally arcs. Granted, I actually liked most of those arcs, but the pacing could've been better. Prolonging things isn't exactly a bad thing to do, and I for one would prefer the Unleashed arc to be a bit longer than it is now, but I can see the logic behind getting it done as quickly as possible. That's just made all the more glaring with the world (re)building being done here.

There were also subtler examples such as Merlin Prower's quest, the Neo Walkers establishment, the Day of Transit, Thrash's quest, and Finitevus's new willingness to "sacrifice Knuckles" for his next plan. Though you could argue that those are examples of how that mindset can go very wrong, very slowly.

Eggman armors up? Sweet, it's kinda lie the Egg-o=Skeleton in it's just battle armor rather than piloting a mech.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

There were also subtler examples such as Merlin Prower's quest, the Neo Walkers establishment, the Day of Transit, Thrash's quest, and Finitevus's new willingness to "sacrifice Knuckles" for his next plan. Though you could argue that those are examples of how that mindset can go very wrong, very slowly.

That and how unpredictable events like a lawsuit can throw a monkey wrench into everything. Because otherwise, this kinda thing wouldn't be that much of an issue with those examples.

I was thinking...would a spider/centipede Mobian only have four limbs? I really wonder what they would look like because their main characteristics are their multiple limbs, unlike bees who has wings, stripes, and stingers that make it easy to identify. Well I guess centipedes also have their long antennae and tail? leg thing on the back.

I thought it would be cool if there is a new character that is a spider or centipede working under Eggman and they get additional pairs of robot arms. I mean Modred Hood got legs he didn't have, so they can add body parts if needed.

Maybe they only have 2 limbs less because why not. So spiders would have four arms and two legs, where other insects have two and two so it just looks like they're conforming with the rest? It'd be a stupid explanation, but four arms is a lot easier to work with than six.

There's a Steven Universe joke in there somewhere but I don't know where.

Maybe they only have 2 limbs less because why not. So spiders would have four arms and two legs, where other insects have two and two so it just looks like they're conforming with the rest? It'd be a stupid explanation, but four arms is a lot easier to work with than six.

They could also go the Squidward route and have mutliple limbs lined up together. Maybe have three limbs each as an arm with only a nub at the end and have the nubs work as sort of three fingered hands.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:18 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's funny how every big story Flynn wrote gets longer and longer. Darkest Storm, Chaos from Order, Eggman Empire: 2-3 issues. Enerjack 5, Scourge 8. Iron Dominium 12, Mecha Sally at least 17, Shatter World over 25.

I remember Ian citing Brian Michael Bendis as a source of inspiration. Clearly that was in Bendis's deconstructed storytelling style. 

14 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Yeah, I thought six arms was too much, but want them to look more spider-ish and the only way to do that is give them more arms. That would be nice if they are allowed to have four.

7 hours ago, Potada said:

They could also go the Squidward route and have mutliple limbs lined up together. Maybe have three limbs each as an arm with only a nub at the end and have the nubs work as sort of three fingered hands.

Well we do have a squid mobian, but she has four limbs and the two long tentacles as part of her head.......eew, I don't want to imagine them with legs on their heads.

While I do not want the cast to grow bigger than now, if Ian plan to add more I want him put in more different species than the "diversity" he say in birds and mammals. He added some fish and sea mammals, he should also add insects, spiders/centipedes, snails, and whatever else there are. Also maybe another snake so they can tell snakes aren't supposed to have legs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know Aleah wanted to add a butterfly way back, but I'm not sure if that'll ever come to fruition.

I think it actually might be an opportunity to be more creative if they're limited to the standard two arms and legs. If they can't use the typical leg count to define them, then emphasis on more unusual and unique traits would be needed in that situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Huh, nice to see Sega Japan acknowledge the comics on their official Twitter

Must be because of Sonic's 25th obviously, but it's kinda rare to see the Japan branch post about the comics and that they do indeed read them. 

BTW the tweet translates roughly to: "Found a comic book for 'Sonic' that was sold outside Japan! We'll give you a smaaaall peek inside..."

Yeah, didn't expect the official twitter to post something about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's really neat. :) On a related note, I wonder how much Japanese Sonic fans know about Archie Sonic? I mean, us Westerners are generally fairly ignorant about the Sonic manga, even if we might be aware of its existence or a few very basic details. But then again, I'm a bit doubtful the manga is as popular in Japan as Archie Sonic is here, considering that Japan is supposed to care less about Sonic overall.

The main Sonic facebook/twitter actually used to advertise the comic books a lot a couple of years ago, then Aaron came in... I don't want to accuse him, I just find it strange considering the social media is a lot more active now. A bit of advertising from Sega could really help.

• Thumbs Up 1

i remember seeing a japanese fan animation that had archie charecters back in like 2009 so some japanese fan must have some sort of grasp on it.

said video- 

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, sonicfoamyfan9805 said:

i remember seeing a japanese fan animation that had archie charecters back in like 2009 so some japanese fan must have some sort of grasp on it.

said video- 

Ah, I remember Ina! I wasn't fond of the comic at the time and not that deep into Sonic, but their video motivated me to like Both the comic and Sonic more.

That reminds me of a Japanese comic website ran by Aoi called Comical Highway. She drew a bunch of comic for many games like Sonic, Nights, Klonoa, Chuchu Rocket, Samba de Amigo. The Sonic ones were mostly games, but there were a few ones based on the cartoon/comic...

dneta3.gif                dneta4.gif

• Thumbs Up 7

13 hours ago, Detective Chameleon said:

The main Sonic facebook/twitter actually used to advertise the comic books a lot a couple of years ago, then Aaron came in... I don't want to accuse him, I just find it strange considering the social media is a lot more active now. A bit of advertising from Sega could really help.

And Aaron retweeted that last one, I won't deny that maybe Webber/Gene should promote the comics a bit more but they have done so, at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hesitate to say that the latter two were only promoted because of the blatant meme/reference factor. Part 2's variant had some beautiful art of Sonic 3's events, did he tweet that one? What about the big event that is Panic in the Sky?

• Thumbs Up 3