Awoo.

This never got addressed, does Sonic Colors on Wii run in 30 or 60 frames per second?

Hero of Legend

Except one is Rush 3 with added moves, and the other is Unleashed 2 HD on the Wii.

Last I checked, I had more fun with Unleashed HD than Rush 1-2.

Edited by mArK

Colours - in the main game at least - is a straight 25 (PAL) and 30/1.001 (NTSC), as indicated by Dread's DVD captures. Considering it's a stripped down Unleashed PS360 on a glorified Gamecube, 50 and 60/1.001 would be an incredible feat of programming.

As it is, everything I've seen of Colours from a technical viewpoint has amazed me with what they've managed to make the Wii do.

Colours - in the main game at least - is a straight 25 (PAL) and 30/1.001 (NTSC), as indicated by Dread's DVD captures. Considering it's a stripped down Unleashed PS360 on a glorified Gamecube, 50 and 60/1.001 would be an incredible feat of programming.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure it's the Hedgehog engine.

My understanding was that the Hedgehog engine was two things, one, a rendering engine that allows the system to load data really fast to enable super fast running, Sonic Colors seems to have such super fast running (though not as fast as PS3/360)

Two, prerendering lighting to give a "CG" look.

It's quite possible that Sega only said the Hedgehog Engine was PS3/360 only to excuse the shoddy Wii port of unleashed.

noyatsuba2.jpg

The reason? Any engine (as far as I know) can be made to read stages quite quickly. What makes the hedgehog engine unique is the Real Time Global Illumination.

Edit: Ninja'd By Galaxy man who went into Detail that I'll go into some other time  =P

Edited by Jetronic
  • Thumbs Up 1

My understanding was that the Hedgehog engine was two things, one, a rendering engine that allows the system to load data really fast to enable super fast running, Sonic Colors seems to have such super fast running (though not as fast as PS3/360)

Two, prerendering lighting to give a "CG" look.

It's quite possible that Sega only said the Hedgehog Engine was PS3/360 only to excuse the shoddy Wii port of unleashed.

Nope. The super fast running has nothing to do with the Hedgehog Engine, past the fact that the hedgehog engine was designed around super fast running. The engine just makes things look better at higher speeds, not allows the speed itself.

It's not the Hedgehog Engine because, if you noticed, the Hedgehog Engine helped produce beautiful landscapes and environments on the Xbox, it's still graphically awesome. The Wii literally cannot handle it at all. They seem to be pushing it already with the huge levels and a fluid 30 FPS.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I'm not mistaken, this video would be a perfect example of the Hedgehog Engine at work. Especially at 3:20

Given I don't know all the details of the Hedgehog Engine I am well-aware that Sonic Colo(u)rs does NOT utilize it nor is the Wii compatible with the current build of it.

About the topic at hand... couldn't tell you about the FPS but 30 or 60 makes no difference to me.

If I'm not mistaken, 60FPS means no lag right? So surely this game does run at 60FPS (or at least something very close to it) since both the reviews have said that there have been no frame rate issues whatsoever?

If I'm not mistaken, 60FPS means no lag right? So surely this game does run at 60FPS (or at least something very close to it) since both the reviews have said that there have been no frame rate issues whatsoever?

When a game runs at 60 frames per second, it means just that- the game processes 60 frames every second as opposed the typical 30 in games, or 24 as used in TV and films.

A game running at 60 fps can have frame rate issues, with that rate dropping lower as the game gets busier.

When a game runs at 60 frames per second, it means just that- the game processes 60 frames every second as opposed the typical 30 in games, or 24 as used in TV and films.

A game running at 60 fps can have frame rate issues, with that rate dropping lower as the game gets busier.

Of course. But what I'm saying is if the game has no frame rate drop issues, surely that means it must constantly be at 60 fps?

From what I've seen of games, it's generally slower at 30 fps (look at Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing for example) and this game is definately not slow.

No confirmation was brought that confirms what frame rate it jumps into. Keith Dwyer mentioned that he doesn't exactly know what the framerate is but he thinks the default would be 30.

black knight and secret rings ran at 30, this will more likely do the same.

and plus i checked Dread's videos on you tube and I right click on the video that checked the video information and it said that it was at 30 frame rates per seconds (which is the limits of videos could be uploaded to you).

Lately in a recent preview, a SEGA PR Said the multi-player runs at 60 Framerate with adjustable speed as well.

i would think 30 would be the default frame rate for single player at least. game Trailers seems to Allow only 25 Frames per second and this is why it looks slow, on you tube footages it looked way too fast :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE0DHtLSlSw&feature=related

so i wouldn't think its 25 Frames per second, Even since this game is sense of speed required.

Edited by speedduelist

Of course. But what I'm saying is if the game has no frame rate drop issues, surely that means it must constantly be at 60 fps?

If the game has no frame rate issues, then it runs at a consistent 30fps, because that is the speed at which the game was programmed to run.

From what I've seen of games, it's generally slower at 30 fps (look at Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing for example) and this game is definately not slow.

No, not at all. FPS isn't speed. A game running at 60fps will look smoother than one running at 30fps. That's all. The reason that not every game runs at 60 is because there's too much processing for the system to handle. Ergo the framerate will be capped at 30 to stop the framerate from going up and down all the time. Unleashed is actually a good example of this. The PS3 version is capped at 60fps and the 360 one at 30fps. Both run at exactly the same speed BUT the framerate is a lot less steady in the PS3 one and fluctuates all the time. It's always noticeable and can be quite jarring. By capping it at 30 on the 360 the system isn't worked as hard so it fluctuates a lot less. It's never as smooth, but it arguably looks better because there's less change.

A game with a steady 30fps will look infinitely better than one with a very unsteady 60fps.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember the Game Land stages (the multiplayer stages) being confirmed to run at 60 FPS due to them being simple in design or something, so I guess it's safe to assume the main game itself is 30.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, you're dead on! :lol:

Second this. Unleashed HD levels were beautiful, Rush felt horribly wierd to me , and Sonic Colours on the DS doesnt inspire me at all. Although im sure we can be certain it will be better rated by the critics

"2D SONIK BEST, 3D DONT WORK YE"

Okay no critic has ever said it like that but anyway..

Im expecting a 30fps framerate. I cant see them puling out to get a solid 60 fps at all.

On the engine topic, the gameplay looks incredibly similar to that of the HD Unleahsed. The physics and such all look identical.. especially the jumping (a part of HD Unleashed which I thoughts was horribly clunky, can see this clunky-ness in footage)

The DS version actually did worse than the Wii version. Nintendo Power gave Sonic Colours: Wii (90/100), DS (75/100)!! After seeing how good Sonic Colours is and witnessing that SEGA are finally learning from past mistakes...I'm looking forward to Sonic's future :D

No, not at all. FPS isn't speed. A game running at 60fps will look smoother than one running at 30fps. That's all. The reason that not every game runs at 60 is because there's too much processing for the system to handle. Ergo the framerate will be capped at 30 to stop the framerate from going up and down all the time. Unleashed is actually a good example of this. The PS3 version is capped at 60fps and the 360 one at 30fps. Both run at exactly the same speed BUT the framerate is a lot less steady in the PS3 one and fluctuates all the time. It's always noticeable and can be quite jarring. By capping it at 30 on the 360 the system isn't worked as hard so it fluctuates a lot less. It's never as smooth, but it arguably looks better because there's less change.

A game with a steady 30fps will look infinitely better than one with a very unsteady 60fps.

well to say, Sonic Runs so slow in motion from the game trailers videos and its more like the game is running at 25 Frames per second (or maybe game trailer is limiting the framerate). Motion is important for Sonic games, you can't just say 1 Frames per second and Motion blur would make the game Fast.

I highly doubt that this is 25 Frames per second :

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have played and completed the 360 version of Unleashed, and am currently playing through the PS3 version, because I got Red Ring'd past my Xbox warrenty. The PS3 version is not as unsteady as many here would have you believe. I personally don't mind the framerate fluctuations, and every place where it slows down noticeably was already happening in the 360 version. I've also found that I'm better at quickstepping because my retina gets more frames to see what is ahead.

If they make Colors in HD later on, I am expecting 60 fps. Really, there's no excuse NOT to have that if they go through with it.

their is an excuse. glitches because the game isn't programmed to run at 30 frames per second and even slipeary controls and Glitchy Deaths in Seamless translations from 2d to 3d specially that is more seamless than Unleashed (360/Wii/PS3/PS2).

well to say, Sonic Runs so slow in motion from the game trailers videos and its more like the game is running at 25 Frames per second (or maybe game trailer is limiting the framerate). Motion is important for Sonic games, you can't just say 1 Frames per second and Motion blur would make the game Fast.

I highly doubt that this is 25 Frames per second :

Lets not try and figure out framerate from 30 fps videos.

• Thumbs Up 3

the game runs in Fast Motion, that what the video Proves. So i highly doubt if sonic could go that fast in motion and running at 25 frames per second, just saying.

the game runs in Fast Motion, that what the video Proves. So i highly doubt if sonic could go that fast in motion and running at 25 frames per second, just saying.

Do you know what you're on about? The speed of a game isn't dictated by FPS.

Edited by Blue Blood

The Motion Speed of The Game is dedicated by FPS.

You are like saying a 1 Frames per second game with motion blur would look super fast regardless of the frame rate.

No.

Frames Per Second, is the number of frames that appear on screen every second.

Framerate indicates fluidity of motion, not the speed.

A fast game usually requires a consistant framerate, so you can see whats going on.