Awoo.

Sonic Colors Footage From E3

azoo

Sweet on screen footage, love the music and Eggman commentary.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT'S SONIC'S VOICE ACTOR!

"Spin it!"

"Come on!!"

No, that's like an announcer type thing.

Sonic is still Griffith (you can hear him grunt when jumping between rails, for example).

SONIC IS BACK BETTER THAN EVER!

i love the Drill power up its fast and Exciting and doesn't affect the SPEED at All

I would pretty much prefer those news moves + unleashed moves in this game than Both Sonic unleashed 360/ps3 and wii versions combined.

Best game of the year 2010 No Exception

Edited by Hedgehog Unleashed

Sweet on screen footage, love the music and Eggman commentary.

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT'S SONIC'S VOICE ACTOR!

"Spin it!"

"Come on!!"

No, I think that's either an announcer for the game or the aliens. I heard sonic a few times in the video, but he didn't say as much as whatever that other voice is.

OK....so?

OK.....thats exactly what Colours has done, minus the Knuckles and Tails playability. Where's the problem?

What does that have to do with gameplay and the quality of the title? You don't like aliens, OK, but that doesn't affect gameplay AT ALL...

Again, where's the problem?

So what else could they have used to give power-ups? Mushrooms?.....Oh....wait

And you do get to control them. You can easily control the Drill power-up (You can't even do that in SMG2, that drill just goes straight down, but thats for another day)

The Cyan laser is like the "light-dash" from SA1 and SA2. Except you can charge it and aim it at mirrors to gain access you an alternate part of the level. I think that's pretty original if you ask me.

Other than power-ups (this includes the drill), how has Sonic ripped off Mario Galaxy? Don't say "He's copying Mario because its set in space" Sonic went into space several times before Mario Galaxy was even conceived. That argument is invalid. In fact, as many people have mentioned, its theme is more like Ratchet and Clank...

So you hate it because its like Unleashed and has aliens. It has all the stuff you wanted Unleashed to be; surreal environments; colour; fantastical level design, yet you still hate it. You haven't really covered what exactly you hate about the gameplay, other than its similarities to Unleashed, and even then it isn't exactly the same. And complaining about food based levels, is that really a flaw? The complaint about power-ups not being controlable is invalid, because they are controllable, save for onw it seems.

So basically, you hate the game for no reason other than "Unleashed!!1! and Aliens!!1!"

Sonic smiles in nearly every piece of CGI artwork there is. Go and take a look.

SO, I've covered your unecessary bias, the fact that your complaints have minimal relevance to the gameplay and the fact that half your arguments about gameplay don't even apply.

YES it is similar to Unleashed, both level-design wise and graphically, but thats where the similarities end. The gameplay has been changed significantly. There is a lot more platforming and less of a focus on blinding speed.

I think you are done here. I think I'll have fun playing this game, whilst you sulk in corner.

No I'll have fun insulting the flaws in this game in my corner whislt you play and fund the production of more crappy Sonic games!

Read Frozen Nitrogen's reply below.

The problem is that a game is less enjoyable to play if you find the story to be stupid and nonsensical. Good plot adds to the immersion of a game and bad plot detracts from it.

People spouting "Oh story doesn't affect gameplay" and "Oh why do you care about green eyes" all over the place sound like they have some sort of emotional dead-spot where they treat a game as a series of mechanical platforming challenges and nothing else, "cos gameplay's all that matters rite!?!?".

Having things that you don't like in a game makes playing the game (that is, the gameplay) worse, irrespective of whether those elements are engine physics, or story setting, or stylistic design.

So THAT'S why Master Board lists "frikkin' aliens" as a problem.

They don't bother me so much... but I'm more annoyed about Robotnik building a theme park in space. Food-themed rides will help him conquer the world how?

Thank you! This saves me alot of time explaining why I won't like this game, although I suspect Requiem will be one of those people who claim that "Not liking a setting is not a valid dislike of a game, only gameplay counts."

I personally don't hold much regard to gameplay, sure a game can have good gameplay, but if the style and setting of the game doesn't appeal to me then I'm not going to like it. That is why I hate Unleashed (amongst many, many other things) but I thought the daytime gameplay was pretty decent...maybe almost even fun....but I hate HATE Sonic trying to be set in a realistic environment, especially trying to align him into our own world, therefore Unleashed is one of my most hated Sonic games.

Heroes on the other hand - loved it! Perfect in every way as to what I imagine 3D classic Sonic translation to be, gameplay I'll admit I thought was good and I never really noticed, but some people say it was really bad and repetitive...the repitition I get...but it was such a great setting and story that I really really don't care!

I did not mention why I didn't like this game for gameplay reasons because well, gameplay is rather low down on the list of things I need in a game to make it good. The setting (aliens crap) and the style (kiddy to the max with cutsie things and food levels and Robotnik in some asinine plot) I did mention cuz I won't like the game becuse of it....Hence when people think I'm ranting for the sake or being negative they are the ones who are wrong because I am easily able to tell if I will or will not like the game before seeing gameplay footage, for this game it was the very first mention of it.

And Sonic colours is nowhere near what I described! What I was describing was daytime level gameplay like Unleashed (albiet improved in all areas) only with the more whimsical and fantasy style of the Sonic world, ie; levels taken straight from classic Sonic given a 2.5D remake..or even new levels but in the classic style. Alien worlds and food levels are NOT what I was describing, way to miss the mark. <_<

And this game is more than just ripping off SMG just because it goes into space.

The description says Sonic will be hopping from planet to planet, he gets power ups (and yes from that video they do look boring as all hell if they are over that quick) And it's not just Sonic going into space like before, we all know he's done that, but space has been a last resort for a final fight...not some dandy little adventure.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Shadzter , I found the screw attack video impression

Woun found the game trailer

Thanks any ways :)

Edit the post in the news btw

Oh yeah, you can hear Jason's grunts. Much prefer grunts over random phrases :D I guess the announcer type guy gives the game an arcade feel which does blend in well with the catchy music once you watch the video a few times. Still, Eggman's funny tannoy announcements FTW!

:words:

OK, So you don't like the theme and setting.

However, I think the environments are pretty surreal and better than they were in Unleashed, not to mention the look gorgeous.

The plot....well....Sonic games never really had a strong story. Even the best stories, such as SA2, had plotholes.

I my opinion, a story which is "Save the Wisps" is pretty much on a par with "Save the princess", so I don't see that much of a problem.

Maybe, to you its the aliens that kill it, but its space, so I don't really know what they could try that was new.

Edited by Requiem

wow people 2D And 3D Parts are Awesome

Also Shadzter , I linked to the screwattack video while woun linked to the video footage of game trailers , you wrote in your post that i posted the game trailers footage :)

Shadzter , I found the screw attack video impression

Woun found the game trailer

Thanks any ways :)

Edit the post in the news btw

Thanks for the heads up, trust me to make a mistake. I actually posted a topic on the Screwattack video time stamped 3 mins before you -

but it was pretty close so I'll edit and give you credit anyway ;) Thanks for all the heads up on the links you've posted regarding the various games so far! If you find anymore let me know and I'll give you credit, you too Woun and anyone else here :D

I my opinion, a story which is "Save the Wisps" is pretty much on a par with "Save the princess", so I don't see that much of a problem.

Maybe, to you its the aliens that kill it, but its space, so I don't really know what they could try that was new.

Save the wisps and Defeat Dr Eggman is a story as Kiddish as Collect the chaos emeralds and Defeat Dr Eggman (from the classics)

Both Saves the World.

Thanks for the heads up, trust me to make a mistake. I actually posted a topic on the Screwattack video time stamped 3 mins before you -

but it was pretty close so I'll give you credit anyway ;) Thanks for all the heads up on the links you've posted regarding the various games so far! If you find anymore let me know and I'll give you credit, you too Woun and anyone else here :D

lol Thanks for giving me a credit any ways

I am always late when it comes to posting footages <_<

if screw attack who are the biggest recent sonic haters likes the game i am sure i will adore it lol

they gave black knight as worst game of the year 2009.

when the game comes out , I Can't wait for IGN review , this game could change the whole internet sonic community lol

OK, So you don't like the theme and setting.

However, I think the environments are pretty surreal and better than they were in Unleashed, not to mention the look gorgeous.

The plot....well....Sonic games never really had a strong story. Even the best stories, such as SA2, had plotholes.

True, I just don't like aliens is all, just a personal thing. I do admit this is looking alot better than Unleashed, and after seeing those new vids the "power-ups" do look better...although I find it somewhat funny that the powers they give are essentially what Sonic could already do, the Laser; Sonic's boost combined with a light dash - the Drill; Sonic tunneling through the ground like he was able to in the cartoons (AoSth if I remember correctly, I know not game canon but still)

I was kinda hoping the laser would be more like something that made Sonic blast through enemies and even tough blockades such as reinforced doors or something...maybe even allow him to get through small previously unobtianable places, and was kinda hoping with the drill you'd have to be smart and make sure to drill yourself a tunnel path that -if you got stuck- you were able to run back up, but it seems what you drill doesn't have much meaning as it all disappears away anyway.

It's looking ok, a bit better than what I originaly thought, but I still think aliens are cheap. Imagine how cool this could've been if it had been set on Sonic's world in zones with the great graphics and Eggman having a world conquering plot that actually made sense!

Edited by The-Master-Board

So from what I've heard people say/seen this seems to be like a Sonic Unleashed 2? Yeah that'll really make this game even better.... <_< NOT!

Hey, ya can't please everyone. :P

Although the game does look nice and not stupidly realistic like Unleashed, why o why couldn't they have just done this to regular Sonic?

I thought realism was all brown and shit? In any case, what do you mean by them not doing this for regular Sonic?

Imagine dashing through zones of Sonic's world with the Unleashed daytime style (though minus the crappy controls, excessive boost, QTE's and give Sonic more mobility ,the levels more freedom and paths) that would've been awesome! Add a few slight changes of gameplay styles when you get to play as Tails and maybe Knuckles and you've got awesome in a can right there!

Honestly, that sounds really lacking, and Tails and Knuckles certainly would not have made up for that kind of expereince in terms of gameplay. And I really doubt their slight gameplay change-ups would even work very well considering how straight-foward this game is in comparison to games like the Adventures and even Sonic 06 which would've been better to accomodate those abilities.

For them to even bother with Tails and Knuckles, they'd have to also change up the level layout. Flying and fighting is nice, but what good is it when the level isn't even made to make use of those abilities?

Instead they need to go the cheap way of adding aliens :angry:(seriously, IMO aliens are the cop-out of all cop-outs, to me they are a last resort kinda like "we've got no ideas, lets just add aliens") and frankly it's getting old what with Black doom and the black arms, the Babylon Rogues supposed alien/genie hybrid ancestors and Sonic Chronicles lame plot taking place half in some stupid alien place....enough.with.the.FRIGGEN.ALIENS!

The Wisps seem far more than tolerable compared to the likes of Black Doom and the Babylon Rogues...thing.

Besides, he's in an intergalactic setting, so what else should you expect? It certainly wouldn't be barren, and it certainly wouldn't be anything you could familiarize yourself with anything similar on Earth. This is where I call in the idea of quality over conception; in short, you can't fully judge it based on the concept alone, because it could be argued that a lot of things are cop-outs of cop-outs if we did that.

In addition, the Wisps are less generic than the aliens you would normally expect. Seriously, you don't hear about saving cute aliens from a long time enemy invading their planet all to often in fiction, as most of the time they're the enemies right from the start when they invade Earth and they're hardly ever cute.

Not to mention they are lame. The one thing that sounded mildly, minutely redeeming about them was their ability to give Sonic...um abilities (ala power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy, if this game wasn't already ripping enough from that game)

You're stretching an inch into a mile here, man. Every platformer has power-ups, and it damn sure isn't like Mario is the only one who's had them. Even Sonic did during the classics, and it is absolutely no different in that regard.

Mario Galaxy is not the only game out there that does this, so you might as well call Mario himself the king of rip-offs if you're going to call this game a rip-off because of power-ups. Mario certainly didn't have aliens give him powers, at least to the extent that Sonic is pulling off.

- But you can't even control your power ups!? WTF? Sonic's laser power up is over with the push of a button!? You wouldn't see Mario pull this shit! When you get a power-up in SMG you actually GET to control it because....uh...well that's what makes it fun! DUH

Well there obviously isn't laser power-up for Mario. :P

You obviously weren't paying very good attention, because Sonic's laser power up does require some form of control before you release the attack. Aside from that, there is more to the move that we haven't even seen yet, plus the fact that the laser power up obviously isn't the only one for Sonic and that the others do in fact have some degree of control to them.

You weren't able to control Mario's drill from what I've seen as opposed to Sonic's drill, so he's no exception when it comes to "uncontrollable power-ups". ;)

So uh, covered it being like my all time loathed game Sonic Unleashed, covered how much I hate aliens, covered it trying to copy Mario Galaxy, covered their lame choice to take away the fun that could've been power ups, food based levels?? wow a new low for Sonic...I think I'm done here.

I honestly think you're overblowing it way too much here. It's one thing to be cautious and critical, but it's another thing to rant over small things to condemn the bigger picture as a whole. I mean honestly, how are food based levels really an issue?

Also, this game is more similar to Ratchet and Clank in terms of settings. Seriously, compare this...

20659Tropical_Resort%20(2).jpg

...to this:

super-mario-galaxy.jpg

...and this:

ratchet_and_clank_future_tools_of_destruction.jpg

..and then tell me which game Colors is similar to?

O wait...It's nice to see Sonic smile for once in his CGI art....yeah that's about all the nice things I can say.

Hasn't he always?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Hasn't he always?

I dunno, in most modern art I've seen he's got that satanawful smirk that, whilst being rebellious back in the day, comes off almost asshole-like these days...Sonic 4 logo? I dunno perhaps it's just the way they make it look.

I was just happy to see Sonic happy, and also the Sonic/Tails running together again....aliens, not so much. I would much rather see Sonic's world (not unleashed, classic style) it's just better I reckon anyways.

Plus the aliens thing is getting annoying. Sonic Chronicles which was an RPG which is meant to be deep and flesh out characters and places and use the vast depth of Sonic history opted for the lame route and spent half the game with aliens and in some alien setting.... I'm just saying have a game like this (ie; 2.5D and graphicaly stunning and whimsical) but set it in a classic stylised Sonic earth setting.

I was kinda hoping the laser would be more like something that made Sonic blast through enemies and even tough blockades such as reinforced doors or something...maybe even allow him to get through small previously unobtianable places, and was kinda hoping with the drill you'd have to be smart and make sure to drill yourself a tunnel path that -if you got stuck- you were able to run back up, but it seems what you drill doesn't have much meaning as it all disappears away anyway.

The laser can be used to charge up and fire into an antenna, which brings you up, in an alternate location. It also allows you to bounce off of mirrors to gain access to new areas. It has its purposes. I think that the animation for activation it awesome though.

If the Drill runs out in the ground, you die. You have to be very careful with how you use it to avoid getting lost and dying. You can also find secret stashes of rings and extra lives buried in the ground. When you reach the surface, the power runs out, so if you happen to come into a small cavern in the ground, they supply you with another power-up so that you don't get stuck there.

I think in later levels it could be used really rather well.

It opens up a whole relm of possibilities with what Sonic can do in 3D.

I dunno, in most modern art I've seen he's got that satanawful smirk that, whilst being rebellious back in the day, comes off almost asshole-like these days...Sonic 4 logo? I dunno perhaps it's just the way they make it look.

Are you serious?

02.png

Does that look like an asshole to you?

...wait, don't answer that. :lol:

I was just happy to see Sonic happy, and also the Sonic/Tails running together again....aliens, not so much. I would much rather see Sonic's world (not unleashed, classic style) it's just better I reckon anyways.

Plus the aliens thing is getting annoying. Sonic Chronicles which was an RPG which is meant to be deep and flesh out characters and places and use the vast depth of Sonic history opted for the lame route and spent half the game with aliens and in some alien setting.... I'm just saying have a game like this (ie; 2.5D and graphicaly stunning and whimsical) but set it in a classic stylised Sonic earth setting.

Well this obviously isn't the game you're expecting. Hell, it certainly wasn't mine either, but I'm loving even picture of it. Not saying that you have to but...just try not to be so impulsive over these sorts of things.

It's fine to be critical, but don't expect anything good when you start to rant.

Hey, a decent player. Finally!

This game looks a bit less linear with the Drill power-up cutting you down to other parts of the level. I'm still worried about the straightforwardness of it, and even more so at the length of the game. But so far so good.

I'm pretty blown away by that footage, I mean, it's got 2 acts (2 FULL acts, unlike Unleashed), and the second one seemed to really highlight the platforming-in-2D concept. I mean, it looked like Hydrocity at points! And the second level seemed a bit more challenging, so maybe my fears in that department will be crushed.... I'm hoping. The drill power-up seems like a blast to use, and overall, it just seems like the experience we wanted since Unleashed was announced. At least, I know this is the game I've been looking forward to. The music also sounds like a mix of Sonic Adventure's Twinkle Park and Right Here, Right Now from Sonic Rush.

It seems like we might have a winner on our hands, the only thing to take into account now is the execution... and so far, people are saying it plays like Unleashed with tighter controls.

633496524717368040-Holy-Shit.jpg

Edited by EXshad

People spouting "Oh story doesn't affect gameplay" and "Oh why do you care about green eyes" all over the place sound like they have some sort of emotional dead-spot where they treat a game as a series of mechanical platforming challenges and nothing else, "cos gameplay's all that matters rite!?!?".

Yeah pretty much. You can have a good story and visuals and such, helps quite a bit, but even if the game is about trying to kill the world using the power of friendship and the gameplay is good? It's a good game all the same, you just skip some cutscenes.

That, and green eyes affect nothing unless you're an silly bastard who can't be happy because a small object is a color he dislikes and hates a game for it. And if that's the kind of person you are, please, remove yourself from the gene pool, because you shouldn't ever create offspring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah pretty much. You can have a good story and visuals and such, helps quite a bit, but even if the game is about trying to kill the world using the power of friendship and the gameplay is good? It's a good game all the same, you just skip some cutscenes.

That, and green eyes affect nothing unless you're an silly bastard who can't be happy because a small object is a color he dislikes and hates a game for it. And if that's the kind of person you are, please, remove yourself from the gene pool, because you shouldn't ever create offspring.

While I don't think there's much wrong with the setting or story of this particular game, Frozen does have a point. I can't imagine that most of us are still fans of the franchise at this point because we adore the gameplay; if solid gameplay was all we wanted, surely we'd have migrated elsewhere long ago or, in the case of newer-ish fans like myself, never gotten involved to begin with. I'm mostly here because I like the characters, the setting and the music enough to forgive some wobbly gameplay, and I think complaints about those elements are just as valid as anything else. Well... nearly as valid.

BAWW GREENEYES is a little extreme, but there's nothing wrong with criticising a game's non-gameplay elements.

Edited by Octarine

Those graphics look fucking fabulous! I agree that these are some really nice graphics here. The gameplay has really been stepped up as well. I do think Sonic did a double jump as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, Nathan, don't you think you're getting a little too snipy saying that? I'm with you on complaining about the green eyes, but I wouldn't go so far to tell someone to remove themselves from the gene pool, man. That's a bit low.

This game looks awesome. Like pretty much all the previews have said, it pretty much looks like Unleashed with tighter controls minus the Werehog. The music in that GameTrailers video also sounds pretty sweet. The only thing I'm iffy about is that announcer. Hearing "COME ON!!!" and "SPIN!!!" so much could probably get kinda annoying.

Edited by gamerguy21

Uh, Nathan, don't you think you're getting a little too snipy saying that?

No. Why?

:|

no seriously though that was such an overdramatization my god how could you even take that seriously I THOUGHT WE KNEW EACH OTHER BETTER THEN THAT

Welllll... okay if they act like that all the time then they won't ever get a date anyways so hey I guess the genes take care of themselves.

Well now that I've seen some gameplay I'm officially excited for this game, both platforms. I just wish Sega didn't divide its attention across so many Sonic games though. I wouldn't have mind if this came out next year instead of this year. Between this and Sonic 4, it's like being told you're going to get dessert before dinner, but then you're reminded that you also have to eat your dinner too. Not that dinner is neccessarily bad, it's just that you can't stop thinking about that dessert.