Awoo.

PS2 getting discontinued in 2010?

Detective Shadzter

You're delusional if you think the PS2 was the only thing holding the Wii back.

It's atleast one factor, you're delusional if you deny that much either.

With no PS2, the original content built for ground up on Wii will improve, even if by a little bit.

I'm actually a franchise man too, but there are many series' I get on Gamecube and whotnot that I got other games from on the PS2 (like MGS). Also I just had to try some of the best rated JRPGs, and I don't regret that.

It's atleast one factor, you're delusional if you deny that much either.

With no PS2, the original content built for ground up on Wii will improve, even if by a little bit.

But the PS2 didn't do anything wrong. That's like saying it's a 12 year old boy's fault if his parents give his 10 year old brother his old clothes.

The Wii's 'port problem' is entirely down to the dollar signs in the eyes of publisher houses, not the PS2. And maybe original content will improve on the Wii, but only because third parties will need to give a damn. And even then I don't think it'll make a difference. How many exclusive non-Nintendo games on the Wii have you purchased this year and thoroughly enjoyed? I can name a couple, thanks to SEGA (even then I think I was the only one that liked Madworld), but that's about it.

I was a SEGA diehard (still am, but you know... embarrassingly so) back in the Dreamcast day. Wanted PS2 to die in a fire. For a good year it had no great system sellers, yet there it was overtaking Dreamcast without a care in the world. I only just got a PS2 Slim about a year or two ago, and am loving what I'm missing here. You have to give the console it's dues - pick any genre whatsoever, and you'll find there's at least three AAA games you can buy for it. OK, so the first party games and some of the third party games don't exactly set my imagination alight -quite- the same way as playing Jet Set Radio for the very first time, or watching that epic opening cutscene in Shenmue, or dashing through Sonic Adventure 2's Pyramid Cave looking for the A Rank route. But there's a hell of a lot to enjoy, and some of the console's best titles are tucked away, one of my fave games of recent years being Shadow of the Colossus.

It won't be surprising to see the PS2 bow out next year. I just hope by then Sony will have figured out/thrown us a bone in regard to emulation on the PS3.

• Thumbs Up 1

But the PS2 didn't do anything wrong. That's like saying it's a 12 year old boy's fault if his parents give his 10 year old brother his old clothes.

I didn't blame it on the PS2 and curse the PS2 for giving the Wii ports, but not having PS2 around can still help the Wii in its own way. Wii Ports are merely an "unfortunate side effect" of the PS2 being around for so long.

The Wii's 'port problem' is entirely down to the dollar signs in the eyes of publisher houses, not the PS2. And maybe original content will improve on the Wii, but only because third parties will need to give a damn. And even then I don't think it'll make a difference. How many exclusive non-Nintendo games on the Wii have you purchased this year and thoroughly enjoyed? I can name a couple, thanks to SEGA (even then I think I was the only one that liked Madworld), but that's about it.

I think it'll make a difference.

Muramasa

a boy and his blob

Those are 3rd party games I bought and loved in the past month alone. Then there are games like Monster Hunter 3 coming soon, and Dragon Quest X on the way in the future too, both franchises have a history (or portion of it) on PS2.

The fact remains that once PS2 development is dead, an even smaller number of games will be built of PS2 and ported to Wii (or vice versa for the sake of Wii exclusives). Devs who want to make a bit of money on the side, or have an idea for a game that would still work well on weaker hardware, would be forced to build the game on Wii, ground up, with the Wii in mind. Hopefully meaning less waggle mapped to button presses (obviously it's not going to disappear completely... ever.) That alone would increase game quality, even a little.

How many exclusive non-Nintendo games on the Wii have you purchased this year and thoroughly enjoyed? I can name a couple, thanks to SEGA (even then I think I was the only one that liked Madworld), but that's about it.

Clearly, you're not looking hard enough. Granted, I can't remember when I bought my various games, but the two I can name off the top of my head that I did throughly enjoy were Little King's Story and Deadly Creatures, and this list would be much, much bigger if I had a lot more cash, such as Cursed Mountain, Murmasa: The Demon Blade, Boom Blox 2, Rabbids Go Home, for example. Download-wise, there's Lostwinds: Winds of the Melodias, for one, which is amazing.

Anyway, the PS2. Meh, don't particullarly care.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The PS2, no doubt, has an outstanding library, and it is surprising that it lasted for so long even in this new gen of consoles. Definitely one of the highest moments in the gaming industry. Kinda sad to see it go, but still overstayed its welcome. Speaking of consoles and probably going off topic with this, I'm hoping these console wars would just stick to this gen or the next since consoles have done so much in terms with graphics and special features and other multimedia crap (except for the Wii) that there seem to be nothing to improve on until we finally get holograms and other 'futuristic-like' tech to built into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

We'll still take in PS2 games at work, but we havn't processed any to put back out yet. We'll stop taking them in some time nexy year I think.

The PS3 40GB is backwards compatible, but Sony is going to put some PS2 games up for download, like the 360 does.

Clearly, you're not looking hard enough. Granted, I can't remember when I bought my various games, but the two I can name off the top of my head that I did throughly enjoy were Little King's Story and Deadly Creatures, and this list would be much, much bigger if I had a lot more cash, such as Cursed Mountain, Murmasa: The Demon Blade, Boom Blox 2, Rabbids Go Home, for example. Download-wise, there's Lostwinds: Winds of the Melodias, for one, which is amazing.

I had a feeling I'd have people answer a rhetorical question (come on guys, I know there are craploads of good games on the Wii, ok, you don't have to patronise me). My point is there's a lot of poop on the Wii, just like any other console, and as SuperLink even said Muramasa and A Boy and His Blob are examples of third party games that aren't PS2 ports and thinking outside the box a bit. So why does the presence of the PS2 matter any? It certainly hasn't been a factor in 2009. Except for maybe, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, but even then that was no port.

The PS2 has suffered more PSP ports than the Wii has suffered PS2 ports.

You're delusional if you think the PS2 was the only thing holding the Wii back.

It's because the PS2 was one of the things holdng back the Wii.

I'm not.

Edited by The Scout

^ And I'd put money on it that you'll find that the Wii situation would be no different when the PS2 is finally gone. There is still the PSP, after all, and:

The fact remains that once PS2 development is dead, an even smaller number of games will be built of PS2 and ported to Wii (or vice versa for the sake of Wii exclusives). Devs who want to make a bit of money on the side, or have an idea for a game that would still work well on weaker hardware, would be forced to build the game on Wii, ground up, with the Wii in mind. Hopefully meaning less waggle mapped to button presses (obviously it's not going to disappear completely... ever.) That alone would increase game quality, even a little.

Of course, its also entirely possible that once the PS2 is dead developers will just say fuck it and leave the Wii for dead as well. Just saying...

Regardless, I thought the PS2 was still selling hundreds of thousands of systems per month (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm doubting Sony will be getting rid of it any time soon.

Edited by Tornado

Of course, its also entirely possible that once the PS2 is dead developers will just say fuck it and leave the Wii for dead as well. Just saying...

In any other case that wouldn't surprise me, but I think the developers know as well as we do that the Wii is a magical box of free sales.

In any other case that wouldn't surprise me, but I think the developers know as well as we do that the Wii is a magical box of free sales.

We're talking, what, end of 2010? Early 2011? Part of the reason the Wii is flooded with so many games is because developers are able to subsidize costs with the PS2/PSP ports. Yes they are cheaper by default, but without a second console to spread costs around on, will they be cheaper than PS360 games? To say nothing of how much market share those two systems may have at that point, and the $10 price bump that they entail.

And besides, it isn't as if the PS2 going away is going to lift the Wii average quality index up by default, as seems to be the prevailing opinion in this thread, when most of the more obnoxious shovelware bullshit on the system is Wii exclusive anyways.

Edited by Tornado

We're talking, what, end of 2010? Early 2011? Part of the reason the Wii is flooded with so many games is because developers are able to subsidize costs with the PS2/PSP ports. Yes they are cheaper by default, but without a second console to spread costs around on, will they be cheaper than PS360 games?

Yes. Most devs who develop for Wii have commented on how cheap and easy the development is.

And besides, it isn't as if the PS2 going away is going to lift the Wii average quality index up by default, as seems to be the prevailing opinion in this thread, when most of the more obnoxious shovelware bullshit on the system is Wii exclusive anyways.

Noone's saying anything for certain, but if more games are built for ground up rather than being ports (like I said a few posts back...) then naturally quality will get a little higher too.

The Shovelware isn't going anywhere, but a large portion of Wii games are ports too, and with that option more or less gone the chances of more original Wii titles is slightly higher. It's just common sense don't you think?

Atleast give Wii owners something to be more optimistic about!

Edited by SuperLink

Yes. Most devs who develop for Wii have commented on how cheap and easy the development is.

Most devs on the Wii also flood the system with shovelware. And they never actually talk numbers, either, so "cheap and easy" doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "we will pledge our support to the system even after half of our typical sales numbers go away."

Noone's saying anything for certain, but if more games are built for ground up rather than being ports (like I said a few posts back...) then naturally quality will get a little higher too.

A Wii exclusive, built from the ground up:

250px-Carnival_Games_front.jpg

Quite frankly, I don't see it making a difference at all. There would probably be less shitty games because there would less overall games, but I don't see how one can make the leap that just because they would have to develop with the Wii in mind would mean that they would develop as if they actually gave a shit. As you said, the Wii gives developers free sales, so why would they if they didn't have to?

but I don't see how one can make the leap that just because they would have to develop with the Wii in mind would mean that they would develop as if they actually gave a shit. As you said, the Wii gives developers free sales, so why would they if they didn't have to?

Why do any developers make games for any console? Yes for money, but also for gamers (less and less often unfortunately). The same argument can be used for each console of the generation, and the Wii has the largest install base.

On Wii making a hardcore game can appeal to large audiences, all it takes is strong marketing, it doesn't have to be a particularly huge name game or franchise either. Muramasa hasn't been doing too badly in UK and GAME doesn't even stock it!

Why do any developers make games for any console? Yes for money, but also for gamers (less and less often unfortunately). The same argument can be used for each console of the generation, and the Wii has the largest install base.

On Wii making a hardcore game can appeal to large audiences, all it takes is strong marketing, it doesn't have to be a particularly huge name game or franchise either. Muramasa hasn't been doing too badly in UK and GAME doesn't even stock it!

I don't get where you are going with this. I know very well that most of the people in the industry are in it for the money. I also know that most of the Wii install base simply does not give a shit. And I also know that developers on the system know that they don't give a shit. You can't bring the PS360 into this and claim things are the same way for them because the situation is considerably different.

There is a very clear practice for the Wii over the past 4 years, where you get:

• a single 1st party game (typically good)
  • two or three pretty good third party ones
  • a few decent Wii games that half-ass things in a few areas hardware-wise (ie. waggle, shitty graphics)
  • a half-dozen corporate cash-in bullshit titles for the lowest common denominator

That didn't start because the PS2 is still around. It isn't even really because the Wii has the most sales. It is because of what the Wii itself became. The PS2 goes away, and at most you get a game or so from #3 going into #2; but at the same time less games are made overall. But point #4 will not change, and will only get worse as time goes on.

The main problem with the Wii isn't games with poorly done motion controls and substandard graphics; which is what the PS2 ends up contributing to. That was something that the gamers who pay attention to the game industry should have known when the system was first announced. The prevalence of WiiS2 ports is larger than most people probably expected, but it is still a secondary concern. The problem with the Wii is the "shit in a box and market until profit" games that are so widespread; and even if the PS2 goes away, they won't.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, again, I cannot see why the PS2 going away will dramatically improve the average quality of Wii games when the reason that the average quality of Wii games is viewed so poorly is almost completely unrelated to the presence of WiiS2 ports.

How many times do I have to say "noone's saying anything for certain" or "average quality could maybe improve just a little bit before you stop thinking I've said "The PS2 dying will save the Wii 100% for shore guise!"

I know what you're getting at, but you still don't see that I'm saying even a little improvement is a good one.

even if by a little bit.

That alone would increase game quality, even a little.

Noone's saying anything for certain, but if more games are built for ground up rather than being ports (like I said a few posts back...)

Seriously, if you somehow got "dramatically improve" from those 3 posts you could probably stop world poverty.

anyway...

The PS2 goes away, and at most you get a game or so from #3 going into #2; but at the same time less games are made overall.

This is all I want. Even if less games are made overall, atleast the ratio of good:shit could change slightly for the better.

Not that it's even as horrible as people are making it out to be in the first place... I still have over 20 Wii games and just over 10 360 games.

Edited by SuperLink

How many times do I have to say "noone's saying anything for certain" or "average quality could maybe improve just a little bit before you stop thinking I've said "The PS2 dying will save the Wii 100% for shore guise!"

You aren't the only one who has posted in this thread. It was a general response to a general assumption in this thread, and I was just using your post as an outlet. My apologies for the confusion.

Edited by Tornado

You aren't the only one who has posted in this thread. It was a general response to a general assumption in this thread, and I was just using your post as an outlet. My apologies for the confusion.

Quote where someone else has said that anyway? As far as I know everyone has been echoing the same thing. "It's ONE factor". Which is true, no?

Edited by SuperLink

Quote where someone else has said that anyway? As far as I know everyone has been echoing the same thing. "It's ONE factor". Which is true, no?

It is a factor. A minor factor that possibly (make it probably if you are overly cynical) won't even go away when the PS2 does die.

At the same time, I find it rather arrogant of Wii owners to want the PS2 to go away simply because its existence has an arguable effect on the quality of your typical Wii game, particularly if the above holds true and games proceeded to be just as middling after the fact. What about people who still buy PS2 games?

To be frank, the very act of wishing for the PS2's demise under the pretext of the Wii getting better as a result comes off to me as far overstating the impact the PS2 actually has on the Wii, in addition to the whole arrogance thing.

Edited by Tornado

At the same time, I find it rather arrogant of Wii owners to want the PS2 to go away simply because its existence has an arguable effect on the quality of your typical Wii game, particularly if the above holds true and games proceeded to be just as middling after the fact. What about people who still buy PS2 games?

The PS2 is a 6th gen console. 6th gen is arguably over (3 years ago). What about the people that still wanted to buy XBOX and GC games? They had to move on (Or get PS2s lol)

I don't think anyone other than the DC fans on the first page wished the demise of the PS2.

I mean come on, I'm one of the only members in this thread trying to be optimistic about the Wii's future, and the PS2 is one of my favourite consoles of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Really, every console has to die sometime. Each console death has its own perks, and of course cons. It shouldn't be a big deal; it just might give something for Wii fans to be a little more optimistic about. I mean it's not like any of the other "factors" will be changing any time soon. <_<

What I want to know is with the PS2 going down, will PS3 get a download for PS2 BC? doesn't matter me anyway as I own both and have NO problem goign to my PS2 if I want to play said game. But this could be the excuse Sony needs to put it on an update or something. And to the Wii crowd... the dying of the PS2 is NOT going to improve "Wii" games. -.- What's going to improve wii games is companies making better games for it.. PERIOD. The PS2 has NOTHING to do with that. It's not sony's fault nintendo went to make a seriously UNDER POWERED system in todays market. =( Oh well, I have all 3........ so it matters NOT to me. PS3 love all the way.

Edited by tinokunx

If Sony really are going to discontinue the PS2... it's not going to happen for a while yet if the email I've just got is anything to go by.

Because I'm on the PSN I get update emails from them, and I just got one... it says...

Enjoy the festive season with PlayStation®2

Underneath that is a bunch of new PS2 games (that I didn't even know were due out), and at the bottom it says...

Enjoy this festive season with a range of great new titles available on PlayStation®2

If it is to be discontinued in the near future, then they have a really funny way of showing it.

Uh oh, I'd better get a new PS2 then, My old one wont read my games and once and every great while, It manages to work.

Still, I knew it was a matter of time, what wit hall the next gen consoles coming out.

Uh oh, I'd better get a new PS2 then, My old one wont read my games and once and every great while, It manages to work.

Still, I knew it was a matter of time, what wit hall the next gen consoles coming out.

I think at this point and time we can stop calling them next-generation consoles, this is current gen right now sir. I say this because about 4 years have passed since the new consoles came out.

But enough about that. The PS2 is bound to be discontinued but I doubt anytime soon, some people in this thread make it sound like it's already kicked the bucket. I like the PS2, I bought a used one last year because my old one stopped working (gamestop was selling the used ones for $50, that's a steal).