Awoo.

Would the combat system of Sonic Frontiers be a good basis for an Action RPG Sonic game? (And if not, how would you do it?)

Shiny Gems

Posted (edited)

As in a real-time action RPG?

I was thinking of the combat of Sonic Frontiers, and honestly, I do think it that combat system would be good for an action RPG Sonic game. I say action RPG because I recall someone saying, maybe on another site, that such an RPG would fit Sonic better than what we got with The Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. With that said, it would obviously need some changes.

Here is how I would do some of it: Have the player be able to switch between characters like (unfortunately) Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. For special and maybe team attacks (like in Sonic Chronicles), have the characters be able to stop to do those attacks, while still being able to move around like in the game, Dragon's Dogma. When moving and fighting, the characters would enter a "time slow" mode when the player tries to choose a special attack, similar to the remake of Final Fantasy VII. Obviously, some of the characters' moves from Sonic Frontiers would be reassigned to being special attacks, not the pressing of different buttons like maybe Devil May Cry. There would also probably be gauges that could be filled by attacking to do solo or team attacks that are super powerful. Obviously, all of this would have to be done so the game feels Sonic-like, and fast paced. Those are some of the things I would do for a potential Sonic RPG combat experience.

What about you all? Do you think the combat of Sonic Frontiers can be used to make a real-time, action Sonic RPG, or do you not think so? Also, if you think something else could work, what do you have in mind?

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Posted (edited)

Not really unless they made some changes.

I outlined this in some of my older posts, but to keep it short Sonic Frontiers has a lot of issues with it's core system that run against the depth a good action RPG requires. The limited, specialized enemies don't allow for a diverse amount to attack at once and it's difficult for Sonic to pick and choose between targets and attacks in the heat of the moment, both of which are critical for the genre. Fast paced action RPGs do exist to use as a reference point but they're all avoiding the pitfalls Sonic Frontiers ran into. You're better off using one of those as a starting point instead, I think.

Even in that scenario, if mainline Sonic games are going to have action RPG combat anyway I don't much see the point in a spinoff doing the same thing. I think a turn based RPG would be more than fine, would allow for a wider variety of playable characters and enemies, a more unique gameplay style, and would be something that could be produced much more quickly to cover the drought between titles. Action RPGs are difficult to make at all and tricky to do right. If you asked me to make a Sonic RPG I'd take a "lower budget, higher amount of content" approach akin to something like Dragon Quest 11 or Persona 5. Give fans a dense story with lots of characters to satisfy that craving in a lower budget release, so there's less of an obligation to please a more casual audience. "Sonic Chronicles" could be a really cool story-based subseries in a genre that would actually fit it, instead of trying to shoehorn it into single-character action games.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

As it stands now it's too basic and options are too overpowering, while also lacking distinction. I don't at all believe depth = good when it comes to combat. I think the latest Ys games are the greatest ARPGs ever made, but they have very simplistic combat systems that are compounded by kinetic, frantic pacing and broadly fantastic enemy/encounter design. Sonic Frontiers gets a handful of things right, like distinct bosses with a good number of phases to them, but it lacks a strong sense of progression, has no expression, and generally encounters are spread too thin. Basic encounters aren't engaging at all and straight up have no point to them once you reach a certain point, and the general flow of combat isn't fun enough by itself for me to WANT to engage in it. I think they should scrap it and start over, keeping just aspects like the Cyloop, health system, and broadly decent boss design. What's there right now can offer up some fun, but it feels too thin and meaningless much of the time.

1 hour ago, ZinogreVolt said:

As it stands now it's too basic and options are too overpowering, while also lacking distinction. I don't at all believe depth = good when it comes to combat. I think the latest Ys games are the greatest ARPGs ever made, but they have very simplistic combat systems that are compounded by kinetic, frantic pacing and broadly fantastic enemy/encounter design. Sonic Frontiers gets a handful of things right, like distinct bosses with a good number of phases to them, but it lacks a strong sense of progression, has no expression, and generally encounters are spread too thin. Basic encounters aren't engaging at all and straight up have no point to them once you reach a certain point, and the general flow of combat isn't fun enough by itself for me to WANT to engage in it. I think they should scrap it and start over, keeping just aspects like the Cyloop, health system, and broadly decent boss design. What's there right now can offer up some fun, but it feels too thin and meaningless much of the time.

Well, I should have clarified this: There are some improvements to be made, both minor and major. However, I don't think they should start over, as the combat was fun for me, and I think it could work for a Sonic action RPG, if improvements are made and all. Keep in mind, though, the combat system of Frontiers has only been in one game. Perhaps they could improve it in future games.