Awoo.

Nintendo to announce Switch successor during fiscal year

Shiny Gems

Posted (edited)

Here we go. The Switch successor is going to be announced soon. I wonder what it could be? As with other things, I am so excited! I hope this won’t be another situation like the Wii U, though.

So, any thoughts? Also, Switch games for the second half of this year will be announced in the June Nintendo Direct.

Edited by Shiny Gems

Posted (edited)

(This is a Copy and Paste From @Lorekitten's Status Update, but with some extra)

If we get a Mario Kart, PLEASE let it be a Mash-Up like Smash. Also, If we do get a new mainline Pokemon, I'd kill for it to be Top-Down like Diamond/Pearl, and a new Splatoon as well. I don't know what exactly I want from Sonic, or Sega as a whole, but I do want a good soundtrack.

The only thing I don't like about Superstars is the Soundtrack. In My Book, Superstars is the one Sonic Game, without a good soundtrack. you know how most people say "Most Sonic games don't have the greatest gameplay, but the music Supports it"? Superstars is the exception. The gameplay is alright, but the music is just, not likable. it tries too much to be like the classics, By using the instruments used back on The Genesis. Sure, Mania does this, but usually in it's Act 1. Act 2 uses the potential of the devices it's on, and uses more modern instruments. Contrary, Superstars uses those drums too much.

Another thing I want from The New Switch is a Smash reboot with Characters people have been BEGGING for. The "Everyone Is Here" Stunt was OKAY, but there's no shot that they are going to do it again, even Sakura said that himself! maybe even make stuff that appeared once appear here? Reintroduce custom smash moves, or a Pallete maker? something like Subspace Emesariy was gorgeous, i'd love to see that return. Smash Run was cool, and i'd be nice to have another mode for online other than sweaty Steve mains, not to mention Kazya.

As for any other franchises, I wouldn't mind if Poke'Mon Focused on Spin-Offs more than Mainlines, given that the Mainline games seems all the same to me (With Gens 1 through 5): Give Poke'mon Something to make pokemon stronger. id like a Challenging game, more than just "Elemental Chess". Don't Get me wrong; I LOVE it, it just gets bland every now and then.

As a Mario Fan, I have no idea where the Plumer is going. He could Do Breath of the wild, and make it like Bowser's Fury, but with some sort of Story. Maybe Travel to Locales of the past, or expand on his world more than what Odessy and Fury did, maybe do it like wonder?

I WISH more Indie games from steam came to switch. Sure, that would undermine stuff like epic Games and especially Steam, given that they already came out with the Deck, which is basically the switch but WAY better. I mean, games like Undertale and Deltarune is already on switch, but what about games like Content Warning, Pizza Tower, Rivals of Aether, things like that would be AWESOME!

As for Remakes, please, PLEASE Listen to the Fans! I'm glad they have been with the TTYD remake on the horizon, but I want something like OoT or Majora's Mask on the big Screen!

Finally, if Nintendo HAS to focus on their beloved (And Alive) Franchises, Yoshi and DK are DUE for a game! i wouldn't mind a 3D or a 2D game, I just want my Dino back. I loved the Yarn/Crafted titles, so if we can get those back, id be happy. If we really get a DK game, it should be like the older titles, or maybe a seuqal to DK 64? the possibility are endless!

Edited by Cyb3rkn1ght

Me with my steam deck::unamused:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

AW MAN! I already have one! I don't wanna buy another!

The only big change I want from a Switch successor is for them to add a second screen... which they 100% will not do, so I'll settle for just a more powerful Switch.  Even that I don't really need; I'd be just as happy for third-party developers to actually tailor their games to the console they're launching on.  I don't really have any emotional attachment to the idea of games getting more technologically ambitious, I'd have been happy for them to stay at the level of the DS or 3DS, so there's very little chance of the console itself (or any console) impressing me; I only ask for games that I'll be interested in.

Well, it's nice to have it officially confirmed, but personally this announcement doesn't super excite me because it doesn't really give us any info we couldn't already reasonably infer and it makes it clear we're not going to get any new console information with the next Nintendo Direct. To be fair, it's better to know it won't be there than to expect it and be disappointed, so I'm actually glad they told us straight out and that we know we're getting a Direct in June (in loving memory of E3), it's just that now we know that an announcement is coming eventually, and until we get official confirmation of when, the internet will be crawling with rumors as to when the new console will actually be announced, and the longer it takes until the console is actually announced, the more we'll have to deal with expectations rising and falling and rising and being continually let down until we all think we're numb to it.

So, yeah, I'm not looking forward to the 'pre-hype cycle' before this console's reveal. Kind of a pessimistic take to have, but it's how I feel about it.

It better be ground breaking enough for me to buy a new system, cuz I have a PC AND a Switch. Don’t see much reason to bother unless Nintendo somehow decides to jump into the PC market.

I'm quite happy with my Switch. Don't know what they can do to tempt me to buy another one. There's no one upping Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Posted (edited)

Considering it's supposedly going to be mostly a Switch 2 in a lot of ways, I'm all on board. Switch itself was a pretty great decision for the time, but you could tell 90% of the 3rd-party (and some of the 1st/2nd-party looking at you Xenoblade 2) either ran like ass, looked like ass or both at the same time. I really like the form factor of the original Switch, but I hate how it performed, so beefing it up with better, more modern hardware that lets you do essentially tech magic to improve the image quality and framerates should be the priority and I'm glad that that's what they're doing.

But for the love of god make joycons not crumble and drift after 2 months of use, I really hate using those compared to literally any other controller. Hell, that's one of the main reasons why I haven't used my Switch for more than a year now outside of a session or 2 of Ring Fit Adventure.

Edited by Bobnik
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Salamander said:

The only big change I want from a Switch successor is for them to add a second screen...

I want two screens so that Nintendo can bring DS, and 3DS games to the Switch. I'm so scared that DS/3DS games will be lost to time. "Sonic Rush" is one of my favorite Sonic games, and I'm afraid that it will one day become "lost media".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mangoaxe5 said:

I want two screens so that Nintendo can bring DS, and 3DS games to the Switch. I'm so scared that DS/3DS games will be lost to time. "Sonic Rush" is one of my favorite Sonic games, and I'm afraid that it will one day become "lost media".

I'll tell you what they could do, actually: Official support for TATE mode, i.e. rotating the screen vertically.  If you could attach the Joy-Cons to the top and bottom of the handheld - or even just prop it up on one side with an alternative kickstand configuration - then it'd be the perfect format for 3/DS games.  The handheld console already has a touch screen, not that Nintendo ever bothers reminding people of this.  Doesn't even seem that unrealistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Salamander said:

I'll tell you what they could do, actually: Official support for TATE mode, i.e. rotating the screen vertically.  If you could attach the Joy-Cons to the top and bottom of the handheld - or even just prop it up on one side with an alternative kickstand configuration - then it'd be the perfect format for 3/DS games.  The handheld console already has a touch screen, not that Nintendo ever bothers reminding people of this.  Doesn't even seem that unrealistic.

Aw, man! I can’t wait to play Bowser’s inside story, Dream Team (Mario & Luigi), and Kirby Triple Deluxe with the touch screen! (Also a stylus. We need stylus’s)

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

This seems completely out of nowhere, but with the endless amount of Switch 2 rumors around, I'm sure Nintendo was pressured to say something about the Switch's successor.

Anyway, really just better graphics, non-drifting controllers, a decent lineup of good titles at launch is all I'd need. Wait... Mario Kart 9? Naaaah, maybe Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe Definitive Edition or something.

Edited by KingSonicFan134
  • Absolutely 2

It's so weird that it feels both 'too soon' and yet 'it's about time' for a Switch successor. I've been looking forward for details on this new console for a year or so now, so it's exciting that we might actually hear more about it soon.

I personally would be very happy with just a more powerful Switch. Nintendo is already onto some magic with this device, they don't need to mess with the formula too much. I'd just rather have another way to play some of the more recent AAA third party games that were too taxing to run on the OG Switch. It'd be great to get things like Dragon Age and Mass Effect Trilogy on there, as well as the newest Resident Evils.

One thing I would like to see is slightly tweaked Joycons. It'd be better to get joycons with better bottom grips for more comfortable portable play.

• Thumbs Up 4

Please launch it in Australia and call it the "Switcheroo"

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, castell-neath said:

Please launch it in Australia and call it the "Switcheroo"

LOL now I want this to happen even though I'm not in Australia lol

I could easily see this either being an October-November announcement for a March-April release, or a January-February announcement for a May-June release. Hoping for the former to closely match the Switch announce-release schedule. I'm not certain they need to massively innovate with a gimmick, but no doubt will.

As for the games, 3D Mario seems very likely for a launch game. Mario Kart within six months of launch. If this successor does release before June 2025, I could see a Splatoon 4 to mark the tenth anniversary of that series. I'm sure there'll be at least one game per month in the launch year, just like the first year of the Switch.