Awoo.

List of Possible Sonic movie adaptations found in US Copyright Records

Shiny Gems

https://sonic-city.net/2024/04/13/list-of-possible-sonic-movie-adaptations-found-in-united-states-copyright-public-records/

Pretty interesting. Among the list of adaptations are Sonic CD, Sonic Colors and unfortunately, Sonic 06. This could be a fun ride. I wonder how these films will turn out if done?

So, what are your opinions on this?

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Thumbs Up 3

YES! SONIC HEROES ADAPTATION!

NGL, the Wisps would be fun to see how visual effects handles them in photorealism. It could answer a lot of questions about their biology, and possibly broach even more.

Edited by Lorekitten
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

NGL, the Wisps would be fun to see how visual effects handles them in photorealism. It could answer a lot of questions about their biology, and possibly broach even more.

Yeah, honestly, I am rather excited to see the Wisps and how they are done on the big screen.

• Fist Bump 1

Cd would be fun. 06....a chance to do it right / justice. Yes

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, castell-neath said:

Cd would be fun. 06....a chance to do it right / justice. Yes

Doing 'justice' to Sonic 06's storyline... the first image that brings to mind is murdering it with an axe. Still, if they were able to save Movie #1 from Ugly Sonic, maybe they'd be able to somehow redeem this one...

But then there's Elise, and I honestly can't think of any way whatsoever they'd be able to get past the baggage of Sonic getting kissed by a human girl, even if he was dead at the time and thus couldn't exactly consent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, doing Sonic 06 any Justice, that is going to be hard to do.

About the Sonic cD adaptation, though, that may be where Amy debuts if she is not in the third movie. Metal Sonic, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to List of Possible Sonic movie adaptations found in US Copyright Records

Not that I expect that any of these would ever see the light of day - but I have to bust out my soapbox and voice my rejection of a Sonic 06 adaption.

It makes little to no sense to even consider that. If the story even remotely mirrors the source material, it will have to erase itself at its climax. It makes a movie adaption almost pointless as going in, you'd already know that any character growth or development would simply be reset at the end. There can be no stakes, no risks, no tension, no suspense when you know that everything is just going to reset itself come the finale. You've written yourself into a narrative corner before you've even started.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how Sonic’s movie voice actor is gonna have to handle “Yeah! We’re Sonic Heroes” if he has to do it in the Sonic Heroes adaptation?

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

Doing 'justice' to Sonic 06's storyline... the first image that brings to mind is murdering it with an axe. Still, if they were able to save Movie #1 from Ugly Sonic, maybe they'd be able to somehow redeem this one...

But then there's Elise, and I honestly can't think of any way whatsoever they'd be able to get past the baggage of Sonic getting kissed by a human girl, even if he was dead at the time and thus couldn't exactly consent.

Thats one of the many things that they could fix.

Maybe Amy is a friend of Elise like Sonic is with doughnut lord and that starts that relationship off? Maybe Rouge is a member of her elite guards and that starts that off. Who whos??

With the human cast in the films, they could even complete a coming of age arc with Wade and pair him off with Elise. Maybe. 

I suppose adapting 06 means bringing in Mephiles at the very least...make flames of disaster a "now / today" thing, also they could retcon the ending so as not have sonic die and do a full timelime reset. Just defeat him, with Shadow. (Leave Silver out of it and the whole future bit unless its like a brielf flash forward nightmare scene) 

Edited by castell-neath
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

I wonder how Sonic’s movie voice actor is gonna have to handle “Yeah! We’re Sonic Heroes” if he has to do it in the Sonic Heroes adaptation?

:ok:Cause, we're Sonic Heroes!:ok:

But we have to get introduced to Metal Sonic if they want to make a Heroes remake.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Not that I expect that any of these would ever see the light of day - but I have to bust out my soapbox and voice my rejection of a Sonic 06 adaption.

It makes little to no sense to even consider that. If the story even remotely mirrors the source material, it will have to erase itself at its climax. It makes a movie adaption almost pointless as going in, you'd already know that any character growth or development would simply be reset at the end. There can be no stakes, no risks, no tension, no suspense when you know that everything is just going to reset itself come the finale. You've written yourself into a narrative corner before you've even started.

Who says they had to erase itself in the middle of the story?

Sure, there was only one way to get rid of Solaris for good, but there may be a chance that they don’t have to include everything and make it even just like the game, or they could develop another way to defeat Solaris for good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy, I'm ironically looking forward to seeing a possible Sonic 06 adaptation to see if they even can fix it.

I think it's possible. Just get rid of Mephilies' stupid complexitity addiction and you've fixed a good chunk of 06's narrative problems.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

Oh boy, I'm ironically looking forward to seeing a possible Sonic 06 adaptation to see if they even can fix it.

I think it's possible. Just get rid of Mephilies' stupid complexitity addiction and you've fixed a good chunk of 06's narrative problems.

Oh, I think we'd have to do even more than that. Things like Elise and other story problems would probably need fixing, too.

8 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

4 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

Oh, I think we'd have to do even more than that. Things like Elise and other story problems would probably need fixing, too.

Now I really want to see what they'd do with it. If they succeed, it will be glorious. And if they fail, it will be hilarious. Win-win.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

I put that under the umbrella of "getting rid of Mephilies' complexity addiction" because his plan hinges on Elise anyway.

43 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

We'll have to give Elise the "Princess Peach Transformation" so she can be MUCH more enjoyable.

Seeing Sonic CD play out as a full-fleged movie would be fantastic, kind of giving a callback to the OVA. 

I imagine that would be a great way to introduce Metal Sonic and Amy into the franchise. So far though, the movies have been loosely based on the game timelines (but the Easter eggs are really nice, fan service ftw!)

As long as SEGA doesn't kill an idea before it hatches, Paramount might just be better off keeping on with what they've been doing all along. Although I'm really going to freak out when (and I hope when) a lot of the action takes place in outer space in STH3 (the movie.) It'll be criminal if they don't go that direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far we have:

- Sonic 1: prologue to the classic trilogy, explains who Eggman is and how the rivality with Sonic began.

- Sonic 2: loose adaptation of the classic trilogy. Tails and Knuckles introduced, the Chaos Emeralds and some game zones referenced.

- Knuckles spin-off series: probably unrelated to any game.

- Sonic 3: Adventure 2 adaptation, introduction of Shadow and Maria, possibly the concept of "Death Egg" with the Ark (?).

so, 4 out of 10 titles are pretty much already covered (1, 2, 3&K, SA2); The remaining 6 games are CD, Adventure 1, Heroes, Riders, 06 and Colors. Based on this, I'll try and make some predictions/speculation

- Shadow spin-off series: it will likely happen, since they did one for Knuckles already. I doubt it will be based on any game. Might introduce Rouge in some way, if she's not in Sonic 3 already.

- Sonic 4: Sonic CD and Colors adaptation. They will likely take Planet Wisp instead of Little Planet, and do CD's plot with wisps into the mix. Eggman attempts to redeem himself by building an interstellar amusement park, Sonic gets famous universe-wise and Amy chases him on Earth, she gets kidnapped by Metal Sonic etc. etc. They'll likely time travel to revert the planet back to its original state, somehow but I doubt time stones will be used (they would overlap with the Chaos Emeralds and confuse the audience), it will ptobably be some power of the wisps, or some invention of Eggman. The Chaotix might appear, maybe they are galactic detectives and they're investigating about planets disappearing from their orbit and solar systems; but the best chance is that if they appear, they will be minor characters.

- Sonic 5: Sonic Adventure 1 adaptation. This movie will have Amy as a main character along with the other heroes, and will introduce Chao (Chaos is a mutated one). Big the Cat (because he was in the original game, Froggy was important in the plot, and in general because fishing fits the water theming of the movie) and maybe Cream the Rabbit (because Chao) might also be introduced in this one. I'm not sure if E102 Gamma will be E102 Gamma... I think it will be Omega, won't die at the end, and will become the third member of Team Dark in the future.

- Spin-off series: Riders + Heroes adaptation. An intergalactic competition of extreme gear races, the Babylon Rogues will very likely be introduced, Chocola the Chao will be kidnapped and Cream (introduced in the previous movie) will join Team Rose in the competition to discover what happend to him, Team Dark and the Chaotix will take part of the competition as well (every character will be divided into teams for real, because they're racing together). Metal Sonic returns (as Neo) and does some big mess, the competition is interrupted and all the racers join forces to defeat Metal Overlord.

- Sonic (0)6: A return to Sonic 3 (movie)'s more edgy mood, introduction of Elise, Silver and Blaze (or maybe Elise is replaced by Blaze all together, since she's a princess too). This time, time travel will be involved for real - might or might not be connected to the possible time travel that might be used in the adaptation of Sonic CD.

It's a lot of material and they have stuff for more than a decade probably; I hope they will manage do something like this. If the franchise stays popular, they might even make more movies or series even after that... or they might reboot everything at some point.

Edited by Iko
  • Fist Bump 3

The biggest problem with this is how on board Jim will be. This is the first time in his career he’s doing 3 movies in one franchise but will he do more? Each movie is showing a progression of Robotnik with different methods for him to work with to keep it interesting but after movie 3, where can he take the character? They’ve said they’d not replace Jim as Robotnik so who knows how these could work. 

10 hours ago, Shiny Gems said:

Who says they had to erase itself in the middle of the story?

Sure, there was only one way to get rid of Solaris for good, but there may be a chance that they don’t have to include everything and make it even just like the game, or they could develop another way to defeat Solaris for good.

Is not just Solaris that dictates the necessity for the story to reset itself. There are a handful of things over the course of the game that are crucial to the plot that need to be erased in order for the story to work and not infringe on the rest of the franchise down the line.

The easiest example to highlight would be the Hedgies ability to time travel via Chaos Control. It you don't make all the characters forget they can do that, then every movie beyond this one becomes trivialized with an instant-win or super convenient do-over button. Kills any and all tension in the story telling.

Sonic, Shadow and Silver time hopping via chaos control is kind of vital to 06's plot. If you take that away, and take away Solaris - are you even adapting 06 anymore? I don't see a way how you can tell anything close to 06's story without committing to wiping the slate when your done.

29 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Is not just Solaris that dictates the necessity for the story to reset itself. There are a handful of things over the course of the game that are crucial to the plot that need to be erased in order for the story to work and not infringe on the rest of the franchise down the line.

The easiest example to highlight would be the Hedgies ability to time travel via Chaos Control. It you don't make all the characters forget they can do that, then every movie beyond this one becomes trivialized with an instant-win or super convenient do-over button. Kills any and all tension in the story telling.

Sonic, Shadow and Silver time hopping via chaos control is kind of vital to 06's plot. If you take that away, and take away Solaris - are you even adapting 06 anymore? I don't see a way how you can tell anything close to 06's story without committing to wiping the slate when your done.

Make time hopping cause problems that force the characters to limit their use of time hopping? Maybe have it cause paradoxes or bad futures if misused? Have it drain the character's lifeforce if overused?

Then again, if Sonic CD is also going to have an adaptation, the Time Stones are likely to come with it. I don't know, but I don't think you need to wipe the slate or reset anything to make time travel less broken. Just put more risk into it that makes it costly and dangerous to the point it's only a last resort thing.

I think you should be much less concerned about details when it comes to adaptations.

The first two movies are an adaptation of the classic trilogy, though... every animal character is an alien, rings are a teleport device for interplanetary travel, Sonic has been grown up by owls, Angel Island does not exist, the Death Egg was not involved in the story so far, and the "Death Egg robot" was magically created with the powers of the Master Emerald.

If they will ever adapt 06, the story will be very different, maybe time travel is done through modified warp rings that require some very rare material which is available only in very limited amount, or something like that.

They are taking a lot of creative freedom, so I don't think it would be an issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

Make time hopping cause problems that force the characters to limit their use of time hopping? Maybe have it cause paradoxes or bad futures if misused? Have it drain the character's lifeforce if overused?

Then again, if Sonic CD is also going to have an adaptation, the Time Stones are likely to come with it. I don't know, but I don't think you need to wipe the slate or reset anything to make time travel less broken. Just put more risk into it that makes it costly and dangerous to the point it's only a last resort thing.

That sounds fine in theory, but good luck writing definitions around time travel that are airtight enough to warrant its usage here, but somehow restrict its usage enough to make it less savory in future plots. You basically walking into plothole city and buying beachfront property.

and then, if by some narrative miracle you were able to connive some convoluted, specific reason why that would work, and on top of that explain it to the viewer in a simple and easy-to-undertand way, it still wouldn't matter, because every time a world ending plot comes up, the audience would know you have it in your back pocket and thus trivialize any and all risk.

and even then, thats besides the point

all and all, its not just time travel thats broken with 06. Its all the stuff they cheat around because of it. Whereas CD would only have to work around the availability of time travel (something the games handled by just ignoring and/or retconning the existence of the time stones), 06 has narrative cheats that you'd have to contend with.

Hedgies having an absurdly busted ability? Lets just make them never learn that they can do that

Sonic and Elise's relationship? Not a problem moving forward because the game erases itself.

Blaze's entire existence? LOL who cares, this game technically never happened

Silver's convoluted place in the timeline? No reason to even get into that.

06 takes so many narrative shortcuts because the writers intended from the start to nuke everything that happened in the game from orbit. They never had to explain why Silver didn't butterfly effect himself out of existence. They never had to make sense of how Elise was in possession of a Chaos emerald for her entire life, and somehow that didn't effect the trajectory of every game that involved Chaos Emeralds before this. It didn't need to address any of its plot holes, because it merely poof-ed them from the existence at the end. There is so much narrative intertwined in the game hitting the reset button, that it is figuratively impossible to piecemeal any significant portion of it without getting back into those weeds.

11 minutes ago, Iko said:

They are taking a lot of creative freedom, so I don't think it would be an issue.

There are a few immutable things that creative freedom won't be able to get around. Much like any SA2 adaption must include Maria's death and Sonic and Shadow getting into a fist fight - there are a handful of things any real 06 adaption has to include, even if they put their own unique spin on it.

Boiling it down to the bare minimum, those things are

Silver - (and thus time travel - so your already narrative wise in between a rock and a hard place)

Solaris - (a higher level being whose only method of death is to not exist - so narrative wise your screwed)

Elise - (plot revolves around her so much she'd have to exist in some way - but her relationship with Sonic her status as a vessel and her extra emerald are all a problem)

None of those are problems that can be covered up with a quick fix. There just isn't an easy answer you can slip into a 2 hr movie to address the plot holes each of those create simply by being included.

3 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That sounds fine in theory, but good luck writing definitions around time travel that are airtight enough to warrant its usage here, but somehow restrict its usage enough to make it less savory in future plots. You basically walking into plothole city and buying beachfront property.

and then, if by some narrative miracle you were able to connive some convoluted, specific reason why that would work, and on top of that explain it to the viewer in a simple and easy-to-undertand way, it still wouldn't matter, because every time a world ending plot comes up, the audience would know you have it in your back pocket and thus trivialize any and all risk.

Only if you make it unrestricted. Otherwise, it's not that hard and I fail to see how it would be a plothole if you make it restrictive enough.

But if that's not enough, how about "You can time travel, but none of your actions can change the present or the future" then? Worked well with Disney's Gargoyles series when everytime they went to the past, all it did was reinforce the present/future to stay as it already was. No plotholes, no loopholes, but it does come with the added benefit that you can learn from the past and make better choices in the present without actually changing anything in spite of your efforts. So basically any world ending plot you come up with can't be fixed by changing the past, instead just delaying it.

If the point is to not be convoluted here, that's pretty easy to do without the messiness that Sonic 06 pulled. Just look at at the bad parts of Sonic 06's story and simply don't do that again the second time around.

and even then, thats besides the point

all and all, its not just time travel thats broken with 06. Its all the stuff they cheat around because of it. Whereas CD would only have to work around the availability of time travel (something the games handled by just ignoring and/or retconning the existence of the time stones), 06 has narrative cheats that you'd have to contend with.

Hedgies having an absurdly busted ability? Lets just make them never learn that they can do that

Sonic and Elise's relationship? Not a problem moving forward because the game erases itself.

Blaze's entire existence? LOL who cares, this game technically never happened

Silver's convoluted place in the timeline? No reason to even get into that.

Considering the movies don't fully follow the logic or even the same timeline of the games 100% and will more than likely make a point to avoid the narrative problems from 06, I don't even see why that's such a big issue.

Hedgies have an absurdly busted ability? Give them a tremendous cost or drawback so they can't abuse it? Or maybe don't make it so busted in the first place.

Sonic and Elise's relationship? Keep it platonic or just simply don't make the narrative mistakes done in 06.

Blaze's entire existence? Who says she has to even be in this one? Or if she does, how would it be any different from how they introduced Knuckles or Tails coming from another planet using Warp Rings like Sonic did?

Silver's convoluted place in the timeline? Who says it has to be convoluted in the film series?

This is a whole alternate setting where Knuckles' ancestors were hunting Sonic for his power wheras in the games they were almost extinct and never even encountered each other, the three starring characters came from a different planet and are for all intents and purposes adoptive brothers living under the same roof with adoptive parents instead of just friends (a definite first in the series), and Eggman starts out as skinny instead of fat and gains a superform for the first time (well, second if we're including the Supreme High Robotnik from AoSTH).

They've already skipped over the SA1 arc to go straight to the SA2 arc and introduced characters completely out of order from their original debuts--we haven't even seen Metal Sonic or Amy yet as they skipped over them chronologically in favor of Shadow, so who's to say an 06 adaptation for the films would be as badly written as their attempt in the games? If these films haven't been any indicator enough, they're not likely to do the exact same dumb mistakes done in the games. They might (And I can't stress that word enough) make different mistakes or none at all for all we know, but we're not even close to seeing that part of the film adaptation yet to even know that yet.

It's almost been 20 years since 06 and it'll be years before its film adaptation even gets made if they get to that point--do you not think that isn't plenty of time to look at the problems done back then for the directors and scriptwriters to find a way to avoid those mistakes? It's not like people aren't aware of how poorly written it was, even if it has its defenders.

06 takes so many narrative shortcuts because the writers intended from the start to nuke everything that happened in the game from orbit. They never had to explain why Silver didn't butterfly effect himself out of existence. They never had to make sense of how Elise was in possession of a Chaos emerald for her entire life, and somehow that didn't effect the trajectory of every game that involved Chaos Emeralds before this. It didn't need to address any of its plot holes, because it merely poof-ed them from the existence at the end. There is so much narrative intertwined in the game hitting the reset button, that it is figuratively impossible to piecemeal any significant portion of it without getting back into those weeds.

And what makes you think the movies are going to have these exact same problems? The basic premise isn't likely to be executed the same way with the same problems as before, and we're still years if not a decade away from an 06 film adaptation even getting a trailer.

This would basically be Sonic 06 second chance to redeem itself as a narrative--why in the world would any director or screenwriter worth their salt look at its narrative, look at its reception, and think of making the exact same mistakes with the exact same problems that got it ridiculed in the first place instead of taking that opportunity to figure out how to avoid them? Because I doubt they're that clueless about it.

Edited by CrownSlayers Shadow
  • Thumbs Up 1