Awoo.

Rumours Suggests Sonic Heroes Remake Being "Considered", Not Currently in Development

Dreadknux

Fresh gossip surrounding a potential Sonic Heroes remake has exploded overnight. A new report is claiming that SEGA is currently working on a next-gen revival of the 2004 classic using Unreal Engine 5 - but this has since been refuted by a community insider that argues that such a project is not in active development.

Portuguese website Universo Nintendo ran the story last night, which states (via machine translation) that a remake is being developed for Xbox Series, PlayStation 5, Steam and Nintendo's next-generation console. It also independently speculates a release date of 2025.

While the report does link to an unverified blog, Universo Nintendo nonetheless claims that it has corroborated the information using its own trusted sources - and that's really the interesting part here. Because one of the sources cited, insider "Midori", has since distanced themselves from the story, stating that the project is currently only under consideration at SEGA.

After posting "This is correct information" in relation to Univero Nintendo's writer's social media on the story, they later clarified:

The Sonic Heroes remake is being considered but I do not think the original source is correct about it being released in 2026 or 2027.

In response to a direct question from another user as to whether such a game is currently in development, Midori added, "I don’t think so. And I do not know about this remake title being released in next three years and I don’t have any information on that."

Although not an official source for SEGA or Sonic information, Midori has gained a positive reputation for being accurate with many details concerning unannounced projects related to the Sonic series and the Atlus development studio. Still, their words (as well as the words of everyone mentioned in this story) should be taken with an industrial amount of salt. You know, manage your expectations and all that.

But, this current rumour has the Sonic community buzzing, and for good reason - the community has been trying to find clues leading to a Sonic Heroes remake (or remaster) since July 2023. And now everybody is talking about whether they would want to play a revamped version of Sonic the Hedgehog's very first multi-platform adventure. Where do you sit? Let us know in the comments section below!

Original Post Content:

View full story

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope they go all out and do an everyones here for this maybe even have custom teams as a post game reward.

• The title was changed to Sonic Heroes Remake Rumor

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at yet another rumor. We've been getting so many leaks and rumors these days -- is Sega even capable of keeping secrets anymore?

As long as they actually let us fight Neo Metal Sonic this time before he transforms then I'm in! They've got an official model now in Sonic Speed Simulator so no excuses.

Iizuka PTSD means this is going to be completely different, only half joking. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A Heroes remake before an Adventure remake would be a travesty. Heroes sure needs it more, but Adventure deserves it far more.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Unamused 1

15 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

A Heroes remake before an Adventure remake would be a travesty. Heroes sure needs it more, but Adventure deserves it far more.

A Heroes remake would be a safer bet and likely a fair bit cheaper to make. Adventure 1, provided its remade from the ground up, would need a lot more programming and testing for all the different modes and playstyles, as well as more assets and stuff rendered for all the different levels and areas. A Heroes remake would theoretically take much less work since it's smaller and more straightforward.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah... would be far from my first choice when it comes to remakes. Hell, probably doesn't even crack the top 10 if I'm being honest but I see why this could be a thing.

Heroes is one of the most non-offensive games out of the 3D lot and could use a polish up. It's also relatively simple in nature so there's less to fuck up too.

But man... would've loved to see this supposed Unreal practice go towards a game that would actually do well to leverage some of the new tech but hey, 'tis my luck with this series at this point. Shit hasn't even been confirmed or anything but can honestly already see myself skipping this release much like I did with Color Ultimate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really one of the things holding this game back was the rather slippery controls and slight gameplay adjustments. This is for sure one of those games that would benefit from a bit of polish and tightening of the controls.

And since it's coming out after Sonic 3, it could act as a sort of sequel, kinda thing?

• Thumbs Up 1

Takashi Iizuka having to think about going back to Sonic Heroes after the nightmare he had developing the original 20 years ago:

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Chuckle 8

Last year’s Sonic Central seemed to hint at a Sonic Heroes remake during the TailsTube segment:

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Last year’s Sonic Central seemed to hint at a Sonic Heroes remake during the TailsTube segment:

Funnily enough, I've been hearing about a supposed Heroes Remake for under a year. I remember a lot of foreign YouTube channels reporting it last year and then nothing until now

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Nothing here specifies heroes. It's one video out of a bunch of them

if they change up the level design i might get it. but theyd probably redo all the voicelines which im eh on honestly. idk! seems like a wait and see kind of situation, it really depends how much theyre changing vs how close it stays to og heroes.

Here’s the thing, if they just made a simple remaster (widescreen with 60fps) I’m sure the game would get throttled by critics, it’s already a polarizing game with fans so critics who don’t have Sonic bias would be very harsh on it. Controls, bugs, repetitive structure, etc. Unlike Colors or Gens which are sure bets and critical darlings that even a botched job like Colors Ultimate still reviewed well, Heroes you’d need to polish up considerably that cannot really be done with a simple remaster.

So if a remake is real I kinda get it, that way significant gameplay improving changes can be made, certain elements polished where polish didn’t exist ( pinball and special stages being big ones), less buggy grinding and light speed dashes. A vastly improved version of this game can exist I just hope they capatalize on that instead of just giving it a new UE5 paint job and leaving it at that 

• Thumbs Up 1

Heroes was my proper introduction to the series and it's still one of my favourite games. Nobody I knew growing up had a gamecube so for me and everyone else Heroes is for us what the Adventure games are for other folk.

So I'm absolutely all-in on a remake. I'm well beyond used to the jank in the game but for modern audiences I'd love to see the game get a tune-up across the board.

Wouldnt surpise me if its true. Links to Sonic X Shadow Gens, Shadow / Team Dark and Sonic 3 would also tie in if elements of the game are in the film (Omega mostly)

Curious to see how / if the bugs could / can be fixed - mostly camera and terrible / slippy homi g attack and grind rail controls.

Heroes' gameplay had a lot of issues as well as its level design and game structure, I hope they improve it and turn it into a good product.

The game had good vibes, it had that surreal feel like the classic games despite being modern and 3D, and it also helped to build the current cast of characters. It's an important game that deserved more effort, I hope they won't mess it this time.

If it turns out good, it could affect the franchise in a good way, such as... getting rid of that depressing feel of world in ruin that games such as Forces and Frontiers had, bring the series back to the original mood, finally an end to the boost formula maybe.

EDIT: finally getting rid of solo sonic once for all, even though that's kinda already happening, slowly.

So I really want this remake to be a success, please SEGA don't mess it. Assuming that the rumors are accurate and the remake exists in the first place.

Edited by Iko
  • Unamused 1

I wouldn't mind a Sonic Heroes remake, i loved it growing up. 

I do getting a feeling Sega might be feeling some pressure doing Adventure remakes at this point in time.

The Adventure games are held as the best 3D Sonic games ever made with Adventure 2 being held as the greatest. 

So a good test run would be to remake Heroes if this goes ahead. 

I would be curious if they might bring back some of the original VA's just for the remake? though I doubt they will but at the same time you never know.  they got Kate Higgins back for the Sonic Colour's animation.

The timing might make sense if Sonic Movie 4 is going to focus on Metal Sonic in 2 or 3 years from now. But that's about the only reason I could see for them doing this. That's a really weird game to pick to remake given the direction the franchise is going. Though I suppose the remake pool is dwindling. Adventure 1 & 2, 06, and Unleashed are about the only other mainline titles not available on current consoles, but pretty much every other one of those would be a better candidate for a remake than Heroes imo.

Would be down for a Heroes remake seeing as it's not really widely available (not even on steam, which has both adventure games). Honestly if ports or remakes are what they plan to do to bridge the gap between mainline releases then I'm all for it. 

5 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Takashi Iizuka having to think about going back to Sonic Heroes after the nightmare he had developing the original 20 years ago:

13 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

Iizuka PTSD means this is going to be completely different, only half joking. 

I didn't even know that there was a ton of development issues with Heroes. At least beyond the multiple hardware they had to port it to. I'm assuming that's the root cause of this. Based on quick research, heavy crunch time and him being based on the US with dev team in Japan.

Honestly, if it's straight up Crash & Spyro style remake, I'm game for this! Cuz it's one of the only PS2 Sonic games I haven't played. And also the OG, whether it's the graphics or voice acting, definitely hasn't aged well. And could stand to be updated. If they use the current voice cast, I'd be perfectly okay with it! Don't see them pulling a SpongeBob Rehydrated move with it.

I think a full-blown remake is the better option, cuz a simple remaster like Colors Ultimate or Generations, wouldn't be as convincing to some these days. It's not like other PS2 games where the visuals have aged well, like Jak & Daxter.

Ok so in a few hours it went from being in development to being just considered and not in development...

I think I'll stop caring about those rumors until some bigger piece of evidence comes out, at the moment it can easily be just a big pile of nothing.