Awoo.

Do you like the concept of the Restoration?

Slashy

38 minutes ago, Slashy said:

They could also just stop referencing it and focus on stories that work with the game cast.

They did, they have, and they are focused on the Game cast. The Restoration is just included alongside them as allies. Previous stories have focused on just the game cast, with the Restoration as less involved than you make it out to be.

It existing even in a small role or being referenced isn’t a bad thing nor is it worth anywhere near the level of irritation you have over the concept. It’s just part of the setting. They’re not the main stars.

Tell me:

• Where exactly was the Restoration during the Chao Race Arc when Rouge, Cream, and Amy took part in said race with Cheese?
  • Where exactly was the Restoration during Trial by Fire arc when Amy, Tangle, Belle, and Jewel were on vacation in the woods?
  • Where exactly was the Restoration during Imposter Syndrome, when Starline unleashed Surge and Kit on Sonic and Tails while he did battle with Eggman?
  • And when it was previously the Resistance, how involved was it during the Battle for Angel Island when they took the fight to Metal Sonic?

They we’re more prominent in arcs like the Metal Virus and during the Zeti Hunt when they were directly under attack, but outside of that they’re not as heavy in the story as you make them out to be.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

44 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

They did, they have, and they are focused on the Game cast. The Restoration is just included alongside them as allies. Previous stories have focused on just the game cast, with the Restoration as less involved than you make it out to be.

It existing even in a small role or being referenced isn’t a bad thing nor is it worth anywhere near the level of irritation you have over the concept. It’s just part of the setting. They’re not the main stars.

Tell me:

• Where exactly was the Restoration during the Chao Race Arc when Rouge, Cream, and Amy took part in said race with Cheese?
  • Where exactly was the Restoration during Trial by Fire arc when Amy, Tangle, Belle, and Jewel were on vacation in the woods?
  • Where exactly was the Restoration during Imposter Syndrome, when Starline unleashed Surge and Kit on Sonic and Tails while he did battle with Eggman?
  • And when it was previously the Resistance, how involved was it during the Battle for Angel Island when they took the fight to Metal Sonic?

They we’re more prominent in arcs like the Metal Virus and during the Zeti Hunt when they were directly under attack, but outside of that they’re not as heavy in the story as you make them out to be.

Even with the arcs you pulled out half of them aren't about the game cast. It's obvious this book gives the original characters a lot of focus and not everybody has to like that.

24 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Even with the arcs you pulled out half of them aren't about the game cast. It's obvious this book gives the original characters a lot of focus and not everybody has to like that.

And they're also not about the Restoration either, which was my point and why this topic was made in the first place.

I wasn't even saying you have to like the focus given to the original characters. That's a separate discussion entirely.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

That is not the issue, the issue is that it has become a massive story focus.

Yes, but not in the games.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

33 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Yes, but not in the games.

The comics are canon to the games which is why this shift does not work well. It is not able to establish a world where it makes sense to be a big focus.

Archie did that with the Freedom Fighters, but that cannot happen with IDW without creating a muddy disconnect between the comics continuity and the games continuity.

Having fully caught up with IDW Sonic the only stories I found myself really loving were Scrapnik Island and the classic Sonic one-shots because they have nothing to do with the Restoration lol. Five years worth of comics later and I'm shocked that it's still such a major backdrop in this comic that the writers just seem to not want to move away from. Adding on top of that the sheer idiocy of this recent storyline involving Surge and Mimic infiltrating the HQ only because everyone took stupid pills that morning and I'm losing interest fast in this comic's direction. Give me more standalone stories focusing on the game cast like Scrapnik, please

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...

After all these years, this fandom is still complaining about the same things that are such non issues about the Freedom Fighters Restoration.

Maybe Sonic just wants to come back to a home where he can find his friends? Even with the most free spirited of people, they'll still want to touch homebase every once in a while before going off again on his Nomad's Quest to befriend and help everyone dealing with issues where they're not free. Maybe Tails would like to see their home not devour itself from the inside? Maybe a more contained Sonic story where the character development is motivated by people interacting instead of meeting strangers every story is something long time and even fans of Sonic outside of the fandom would want to see?

You'd think Sonic going off places to fight for someone else's freedoms would be the height of his very character motivation of being a free spirit and that he'd want to also make sure that his home still stays free just like the rest of the world. Don't ya'll think it would be exhausting for Sonic to constantly set up a home everywhere he goes while he moves all of his personal belongings to the next place just so he's not in one home base where people are... living? Hate to break it to ya'll but any town or city you go, there's always going to be a group organization wanting to make sure that place stays safe and as free as they can be without infringing on peoples' freedoms. If Sonic moved to another city, he'd still have to have an organization with his friends making sure the town doesn't go up in smoke because some guys want to ruin it for everyone. Spidey, despite being a lone vigilante hero, still has interactions with the Avengers, Defenders, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Inhumans, etc etc.

There will always be Freedom Fighters in Sonic whether you like it or not.

Ben Hurst was right. Sega plays it way too loose with any structure and mythos to this series and its caused countless arguments on what's right for this series. Ian Flynn is the new Ben Hurst and ya'll are just pissing on a guy that is also a fellow Sonic fan just because he's working with something Sega helped him set up that's basically SatAM: TNG.

Can't ya'll find something to actually like about this series? Like actual fans would?

Edited by LongcrierCat
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Can't ya'll find something to actually like about this series? Like actual fans would?

Everyone loved Scrapnik, literally post above yours says so.

You're entire fairly long argument seems to imply Sonic HAS TO have a home and there HAS TO exist some kind of FF/Restoration group, even though games worked just fine for over 25 years without it.

But ignoring that, most people here are Archie veterans and we didn't mind Mobotropolis or Sky Patrol. My problems are
1) That Restoration HQ is just ugly and generic. It made sense during Forces War, not so much now. This is Sonic, add some color.
2) How much focus it takes recently. Which wouldn't be so bad, but recent arcs had mixed reception (Silver & Duo)
3) More broadly (including FF into conversation) I just wish he had arcs that focus on Sega cast like Rouge or Blaze. It's not like games will ever do anything interesting with those poor saps. In Archie we had SU, IDW specials don't scratch the same itch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Unamused 1

And I like Daniel Barnes's work and Scrapnik Island is fun, but can ya'll literally find anything else nice to say about the IDW Books? Maybe compliment it more when it actually has stories with Blaze? Maybe even talk about constructive critique notes about how much more ornate and interesting Knothole Forest/Mobotropolis was to look at that you could apply to the Restoration H.Q?

You're going to have to deal with the Sonic series having a base of operations no matter what, so you might as well find some constructive criticism other than "it doesn't fit Sonic" which no, you can't give me an answer that lazy instead of engaging with the themes of the story they want to do without just hitting the soft reboot button every story we get for the series going forward.

People remember Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 fondly for having a story and contained setting that evolved with the fans the further it went on. This direction lead many to still wanting Sonic Adventure 3.

And Sonic Frontiers has made it clear that nothing in IDW is going to go away. Sticks, Tangle, and Whisper are here to stay.

Better get used to SatAM: TNG instead of insisting on throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Maybe you should complain less about IDW Sonic being stuck in the Restoration and maybe challenge Sega of Japan's insane mandates that are keeping us from getting those cool storylines with games cast that barely show up in the series. Because those mandates are the biggest roadblock to why we haven't seen stories with Team Dark or taking place in the Sol Dimension where we get a Blaze and Silver focused story without dragging them into Sonic's dimension.

It's kind of funny to me that Silver had more stories in Archie Sonic back when they re-introduced Professor Von Schlemmer to his timeline than he does in IDW now that Sega has made it clear they will stick to literally insane draconic mandates that are doing more to limit the freedoms of this series than anything Ian Flynn is doing just to keep Sega happy.

Maybe ya'll should address that if you want more exciting stories not focused on the Restoration.

Edited by LongcrierCat

1 hour ago, LongcrierCat said:

And I like Daniel Barnes's work and Scrapnik Island is fun, but can ya'll literally find anything else nice to say about the IDW Books? Maybe compliment it more when it actually has stories with Blaze? Maybe even talk about constructive critique notes about how much more ornate and interesting Knothole Forest/Mobotropolis was to look at that you could apply to the Restoration H.Q?

Winter Jam was hilarious. Annual 2020 had great insight into Eggman and Metal Sonic. ABT's art is always great. "Season of Chaos" was better Archie's Mega Drive. Tangle is infectiously fun even when i try to not like her. Issues 24 and 50 are one of best Sonic comics ever. Happy? Read my older reviews for more details.

My average review of each issue is 3 paragraphs, I ALWAYS aim for constructive criticism. Not always succeed, but I try.

I understand locations can't be too complicated. because artists will have draw it often. But brighter colors and characteristic locations would help a lot. We're no longer in Forces. If anything, it would be wise to distance yourself from that game.

Just saying, something like Grand Metropolis from Heroes would work much nicer.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

3) More broadly (including FF into conversation) I just wish he had arcs that focus on Sega cast like Rouge or Blaze. It's not like games will ever do anything interesting with those poor saps. In Archie we had SU, IDW specials don't scratch the same itch.

Er…Rouge has been getting a lot more focus as of late what with her presence in Dream Team, and and even outside the games like Forces (which I haven’t finished nor have I fully played Dream Team yet, so feel free to enlighten me on that more).

I can understand Blaze not getting enough attention, and she’s been sidelined for ages. But we have had the game cast get focus in the comics.

• Fist Bump 1

11 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Don't ya'll think it would be exhausting for Sonic to constantly set up a home everywhere he goes while he moves all of his personal belongings to the next place just so he's not in one home base where people are... living?

... what personal belongings?

Remember that quote from Morrison about how you shouldn't ask who pumps the tires of the Batmobile? That's what you're doing right now. Logically, Sonic would have personal belongings, yes. Logically, also, he would not be going around in the nude, would not be super fast, and his torso would collapse under the weight of his head.

You're approaching this from entirely the wrong direction in the first place. These are cartoon characters, fictional and within a context where we intentionally don't think about the details of their existence. Spider-Man is a human person in a simile of the real world with real problems, rent, job, love, marriage, injuries, secret identity. Sonic is a Looney Tune. Do you ask how Daffy survives being shot in the face?

EDIT: not to mention just, a lot of what you're saying is inherently already begging for a bias that you shouldn't be assuming others have. "Why aren't you focusing on how the Restoration HQ isn't as nice to look at as Knothole" maybe they don't agree Knothole was nice to look at?

Anyway, you're also wrong about "the draconian mandates". They're not draconian (trust me, I've seen licensors with actual draconian mandates), and as far as "mandates", they amount to "hey, look, games. This is a licensed comic based on games. Please have the characters be like the games". And as seen by many criticisms of the comic, clearly there's leeway even there.

Open bias here, I think SatAM is a horrible direction to take Sonic in. Please be honest, and admit your bias is you think SatAM is the direction Sonic should always go in, and then don't accuse people of being perennial complainers just because they don't agree to your bias.

Edited by Mauro Fonseca
  • Thumbs Up 2

Better get used to SatAM: TNG instead of insisting on throwing the baby out with the bath water.

On the contrary, this brand is so reactionary to critique that I'm convinced if people are loud enough we'll get less restoration-focused stories. They might as well make what they want known since we know someone is listening.

You're going to have to deal with the Sonic series having a base of operations no matter what, so you might as well find some constructive criticism other than "it doesn't fit Sonic" which no, you can't give me an answer that lazy instead of engaging with the themes of the story they want to do without just hitting the soft reboot button every story we get for the series going forward.

There are pretty in-depth critiques of the concept even just on this page above you. It sounds more like you're noticing more and more people don't really care for any of this stuff anymore and you're scared of what will happen when someone with some heft notices.

12 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

After all these years, this fandom is still complaining about the same things that are such non issues about the Freedom Fighters Restoration.

Maybe Sonic just wants to come back to a home where he can find his friends? Even with the most free spirited of people, they'll still want to touch homebase every once in a while before going off again on his Nomad's Quest to befriend and help everyone dealing with issues where they're not free. Maybe Tails would like to see their home not devour itself from the inside? Maybe a more contained Sonic story where the character development is motivated by people interacting instead of meeting strangers every story is something long time and even fans of Sonic outside of the fandom would want to see?

You'd think Sonic going off places to fight for someone else's freedoms would be the height of his very character motivation of being a free spirit and that he'd want to also make sure that his home still stays free just like the rest of the world. Don't ya'll think it would be exhausting for Sonic to constantly set up a home everywhere he goes while he moves all of his personal belongings to the next place just so he's not in one home base where people are... living?

None of this stuff is what I find interesting about the Sonic universe. The game barely had any of this stuff in it and it didn't hurt my engagement any. I don't care about logistics. I don't care about how anyone fixes any of the destruction between games or how Sonic moves his stuff around. It's the book's responsibility to make me care about those questions by providing interesting answers to them and so far they've failed at that. "The Restoration" is the least interesting possible place for Sonic to call home compared to the individualized homes they have in the games already or even something that sparks the imagination like OVA Sonic's crashed plane-turned-into-a-living space. Cleaning up Eggman's mess has hardly even been the subject of a story so far.

Hate to break it to ya'll but any town or city you go, there's always going to be a group organization wanting to make sure that place stays safe and as free as they can be without infringing on peoples' freedoms. If Sonic moved to another city, he'd still have to have an organization with his friends making sure the town doesn't go up in smoke because some guys want to ruin it for everyone.

No he wouldn't. The majority of games feature Sonic as the sole playable character because he's able to handle most of the messes he walks into himself. This idea that the series is a superhero team story is rarely indulged by the source material. Tails is more likely to play the role of 'the guy in the chair' or an an assist more than an active combatant and most of his other friends don't get involved in the mix unless the circumstances allow for it. Maybe Ian is trying to make an active effort to change that, but so far the stories that have resonated the most with fans have been very traditional, featuring either Sonic acting on his own, or other characters thrown in the mix specifically because their motivations clash with his and that makes for good comedy or drama. The version of Sonic you're presenting simply doesn't exist, not even in this book. The restoration is presented as it's own team, seperate from Sonic and friends who are still happy to exist as individuals.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 5

34 minutes ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

... what personal belongings?

Remember that quote from Morrison about how you shouldn't ask who pumps the tires of the Batmobile? That's what you're doing right now. Logically, Sonic would have personal belongings, yes. Logically, also, he would not be going around in the nude, would not be super fast, and his torso would collapse under the weight of his head.

You're approaching this from entirely the wrong direction in the first place. These are cartoon characters, fictional and within a context where we intentionally don't think about the details of their existence. Spider-Man is a human person in a simile of the real world with real problems, rent, job, love, marriage, injuries, secret identity. Sonic is a Looney Tune. Do you ask how Daffy survives being shot in the face?

You are forgetting about the people who treat Sonic like a shonen protag who want continuity and do sweat over the little details. I've talked to these fans often and a lot of them would disagree with you about treating Sonic like a Looney Tune and that even people here on this message board had a problem with treating Sonic like a Looney Tune and giving us the most hilarious Robotnik design.

Besides, I've long been of the opinion that the best way to fix the fandom splits and make everyone happy is to actually entertain the idea of a Sonic multiverse instead of being canon cops and telling people their vision of Sonic is wrong.

I've been wanting to see a new take on the Shogakukan Sonic where he has the Normal Hedgehog Alter Ego for years now, but Sega doesn't seem too interested in that.

They do however seem more than happy to do the current direction like they're writing SatAM for the modern Games Cast tho and getting the IDW universe to be easily adaptable into the Games.

So I'm just giving my two cents on what I preferred about the obvious predecessor as a means to strengthen the new direction. 

And if we were to treat Sonic like a Looney Tune again instead of like a straight up Shonen Anime, I'm more than down for a Modern Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

But again, this fandom needs to complain at Sega to drop those ludicrous mandates that really are a problem even if you disagree. Because those mandates, in fact, really are limiting everything you get to do with this series and this is why I prefer everything about the fanon over the canon.

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There are pretty in-depth critiques of the concept even just on this page above you. It sounds more like you're noticing more and more people don't really care for any of this stuff anymore and you're scared of what will happen when someone with some heft notices.

Ian Flynn wanted to write stories with the Metarex and they didn't approve it. Likely this was due to their frankly insane handling of individual subseries licenses for stuff like Sonic X and the DiC Cartoons and IDW needed to pay a license for it, but I find it frankly ridiculous that Sega is this obtuse about letting people know how their licenses work when a friend of mine was able to get in contact with Licensors for Sega who managed to confirm that Sega owns all of it and that its likely that licenses just need to be paid for utilizing the materials.

Which says a lot about how much they care to actually cater for any fans who are looking for more than just Sonic Generations 2 and only just now finally got back to what the fans like about Shonen Sonic since the OVA and Adventure games.

I'm just saying all of this could co-exist if you'd just let it and accept that some things aren't your cup of tea but are for other folks.

And no, you are not the Majority Rule. I am in several Sonic fan communities.

There's a lot of people who would like a return to many different directions of Sonic that Sega hasn't catered to in years.

Maybe they should actually entertain that Multiverse Idea that is guaranteed to make them way more money like they'd want.

Edited by LongcrierCat

24 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

"you are not the majority rule, I am"???

Anyway, you are not giving your two cents about what you prefer in the obvious predecessor etc etc, you're giving your two cents on how people here who don't like the same things you do should shut up and stop complaining. Which fair enough, but be open about it.

As for mandates, I don't just disagree with you, I worked with them. I know how they work. I know they're not draconian, because I've gotten the notes saying "please change this or that". And they're only draconian if you're trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. Couple posts ago you said you like Daniel Barnes' writing- does he not get a say, when he also stated the fandom exaggerates them and that working with Sega to do Scrapnik was much easier than he'd been led to believe?

There's specific statements you're making of format I could respond to, would it be worth it? Is it worth it to bring up stuff like Usagi Yojimbo or the Dollars Trilogy or Lupin III when you say there has to be a home base for the characters, for instance?

Edited by Mauro Fonseca

40 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Besides, I've long been of the opinion that the best way to fix the fandom splits and make everyone happy is to actually entertain the idea of a Sonic multiverse instead of being canon cops and telling people their vision of Sonic is wrong

Funny you say that, because while I’ve been of the opinion “Alternate settings/universe/continuities have alternate rules” in agreement with the idea of a multiverse, we’ve seen time and time again that even if you gave the fans everything they want that they’ll complain because someone else got something they wanted that the other simply doesn’t like existing.

So much as I like the idea, I don’t think it’ll fix the fandom splits.

18 minutes ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

Er…no. Quit the strawman.

“I am in several fandoms” could practically mean “there’s several different opinions” on the subject. Try asking to verify before putting words in someone’s mouth like that next time.

• Fist Bump 1

32 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Ian Flynn wanted to write stories with the Metarex and they didn't approve it. Likely this was due to their frankly insane handling of individual subseries licenses for stuff like Sonic X and the DiC Cartoons and IDW needed to pay a license for it, but I find it frankly ridiculous that Sega is this obtuse about letting people know how their licenses work when a friend of mine was able to get in contact with Licensors for Sega who managed to confirm that Sega owns all of it and that its likely that licenses just need to be paid for utilizing the materials.

What is the value in bringing the metarex back, versus just making a new space opera story? Or using one of the alien species that already exist in the games? If whatever Ian's had in mind seriously didn't function at all without a Sonic X reference it probably wasn't a story worth telling.

Which says a lot about how much they care to actually cater for any fans who are looking for more than just Sonic Generations 2 and only just now finally got back to what the fans like about Shonen Sonic since the OVA and Adventure games.

I'm just saying all of this could co-exist if you'd just let it and accept that some things aren't your cup of tea but are for other folks.

There's a lot of people who would like a return to many different directions of Sonic that Sega hasn't catered to in years.

Maybe they should actually entertain that Multiverse Idea that is guaranteed to make them way more money like they'd want.

They don't have to pander to yall. They have a movie series that barely has anything to do at all with the games going on that's probably brought in more revenue than X did in it's entirely at this point. The most important priority is always going to be the next batch of 8 year olds, not our old asses. In their case, case keeping things simple and streamlined is a good thing.

If they don't want to go back and unpack old sonic concepts, risking stepping on toes the second they interpret them differently and tweak them in any way, who can blame them? I can't even count how many eyerolilng critiques I read of Sonic Prime at this point complaining about it not leveraging the Sonic Multiverse to use other people's concepts instead of any of the stuff those writers wanted to actually do. Imagine an alternate universe where Sally was as shallow as Pirate Knuckles and how big the blowback would be. And what would it all be for? A shrinking group of millennials online? A subfanbase within a subfanbase? Where's the money in that? At least admit you just want this shit because you care about it. You don't have to pretend it serves sega's interests any more than the shit they're already doing.

This is all coming from someone that LIKES Sally btw. I wouldn't mind her coming back to the comic or even introduced in the games, just not in such a hamfisted, pandering way. As far as fanservice goes multiverses trend toward being the lowest common denominator even in the best of cases. The series has enough of that.

You're better off staying in your own lane and giving the next batch of kids fresh stories. You know, new shit for them to care about and call their own. I don't like everything IDW Sonic or Prime do but it at least gives the community that much.

Edited by Wraith

5 minutes ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

Dude, that's a whole new sentence, and I literally did not say that.

I will admit it's been a while since I thought about Dan Barnes's tweets on Scrapnik Island, but I think he had the most leisure in doing that because all of his stuff for Scrapnik were new takes on stuff from the games, and as it is, game properties that you're allowed to have more freedom on twisting into something new for a fun new storyline while Shadow the Hedgehog fans have been disappointed by Shadow's treatment in the IDW books because Ian Flynn had his hands tied by Sega's mandates for how Shadow would react or act in any situation.

Now I know they lightened those mandates on Shadow up recently, but let's not act like the mandates didn't cause Shadow to do the most arrogant bullheaded thing he ever did in the Metal Virus Arc because Sega preferred it would be written that way.

Maybe Sega of Japan can be wrong sometimes.

1 minute ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Funny you say that, because while I’ve been of the opinion “Alternate settings/universe/continuities have alternate rules” in agreement with the idea of a multiverse, we’ve seen time and time again that even if you gave the fans everything they want that they’ll complain because someone else got something they wanted that the other simply doesn’t like existing.

So much as I like the idea, I don’t think it’ll fix the fandom splits.

Damnit, I hate that you're right.

I hate Canon Cops. This is why I hate the TV-A in the MCU so much.

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

They don't have to pander to yall.

…if that’s going to be the case, no one should be complaining or critiquing anything. Period.

Because that could just as easily be said about anyone complaining about anything that comes out in this franchise, especially in this topic over the subject of the Restoration.

• Fist Bump 2

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

If that’s going to be the case, no one should be complaining or critiquing anything. Period.

Because that could just as easily be said about anyone complaining about anything that comes out in this franchise, especially in this topic over the subject of the Restoration.

Do you think the portion of the audience that likes Satam or Archie is as important as the portion of the audience that loves Sonic the character? The meltdown over Sally's absence doesn't affect their bottom line the same way the meltdown over movie Sonic's design does.

There are genuinely groups of people they have to keep and mind and groups of people they don't.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Do you think the portion of the audience that likes Satam or Archie is as important as the portion of the audience that loves Sonic the character? The meltdown over Sally's absence doesn't affect their bottom line the same way the meltdown over movie Sonic's design does.

There are genuinely groups of people they have to keep and mind and groups of people they don't.

I could ask that exact same question over the portion of the audience that likes Classic Sonic or the OVA over the other portions of Sonic out there like Movie Sonic.

To which, again, you could just as easily say “They don’t have to pander to y’all” as they find a different group instead.

You see the slippery slope here? That’s the problem I’m highlighting with that statement.

• Fist Bump 2

17 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You're better off staying in your own lane and giving the next batch of kids fresh stories. You know, new shit for them to care about and call their own. I don't like everything IDW Sonic or Prime do but it at least gives the community that much.

I'm gonna hold off on a comment I would make about how most storylines in the recent Sonic materials are just rehashes of older material because I don't think it's worth it.

But if you want the kids to actually have something new, then please by all means, encourage something new. But don't be surprised people will call out the new Sonic and the Resistance stories as being more surprisingly SatAM in tone and storyline beats and some people maybe even enjoying that and wanting to give pointers for how to push that forward more.

Also fwiw, I prefer Sally and Nicole together and would be fine with changes as long as it keeps true to what works about them and the Freedom Fighters.

But even then, with the wide range of directions this series has had to the point Sonic may as well look like Batman's nemesis Clayface, trying to force it into a singular mold and deem certain parts of the fandom "unimportant"  just because you think it doesn't matter is arrogant and closed minded.

Also, last I checked, some kids were really into retro stuff and looking through the back catalogue of a long running series like Sonic.

Spider-Verse is a treat for Spidey fans young and old and gets young fans into older Spidey stories and encourages older Spidey fans into engaging with the cool themes of the new stories.

Maybe there's something here Sonic as a series can benefit from.

Edited by LongcrierCat

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I could ask that exact same question over the portion of the audience that likes Classic Sonic or the OVA over the other portions of Sonic out there like Movie Sonic.

To which, again, you could just as easily say “They don’t have to pander to y’all” as they find a different group instead.

You see the slippery slope here? That’s the problem I’m highlighting with that statement.

If Classic Sonic didn't have anything of value to offer the brand they would have shut the valve off on content for it. On the off chance that they do tomorrow, if you think I'd lose sleep over Sonic Superstars not getting a sequel or not getting any more hack-job ports like Origins then you don't know me very well. My point still stands.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

If Classic Sonic didn't have anything of value to offer the brand they would have shut the valve off on content for it. On the off chance that they do tomorrow, if you think I'd lose sleep over Sonic Superstars not getting a sequel or not getting any more hack-job ports like Origins then you don't know me very well. My point still stands.

I honestly couldn’t care less if it gave you insomnia, but your point stands on the grounds of who should and shouldn’t be pandered to, and that can literally be said about anything.

They don’t have to pander to anyone here over whether they care or like the Restoration in the comics. We have folks here discussing whether they like the concept of the Restoration. Guess what? They don’t have to pander to y’all.

There are folks who hate SatAM or the Freedom Fighters. Guess what? They don’t have to pander to y’all.

And they especially don’t have to pander to Classic fans in favor of Modern Sonic, especially considering they kept the lid on Classic Sonic for well over a decade until Generations.

They don’t have to pander to older fans in favor of newer fans. They don’t have to pander to Shadow haters. Etc…

My point still stands that if that’s going to be the case—that if “they don’t have to pander to y’all”—then nobody should really be complaining or even critiquing about the stuff they don’t like, because you could just as easily make that sentiment towards anything.

With an upcoming Zelda movie in production, should Nintendo bear in consideration fans of the 80s Zelda cartoon?