Awoo.

What were the most controversial moments for you in the Sonic Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

58 minutes ago, Cuz said:

What happened to Knuckles kind would count as a hot mystery back in the early days of the franchise. Doesn't surpise me the comics would look to solve that mystery. I mean even Adventure couldn't resist giving us an offical answer when the techology caught up. 

That's fair enough, but quite frankly having them all be in another dimension and then return and then entirely dominate the series does feel kind of much, especially with you-know-who writing them. Adventure at least gave them an entirely legitimate excuse to be not present.

To be clear, I'm not against some echidnas somehow surviving in the present age; however, making half the cast the same species and an allegedly critically endangered species at that seems kind of lame. I signed up for cartoon animal drama and I want some species variety in my cartoon animal drama.

Edited by Lorekitten

8 hours ago, StreetSonic2022 said:
  • Ian Flynn's idea for Charmy's condition with the Egg Grapes

To give Flynn credit, he at least admittedly it was a mistake.

Maybe I'm a bit too insensitve, but I'm one of those rare folk who actually didn't have a problem with Charmy being mentally handicapped from the Egg Grapes.

Sure it wasn't exactly pleasant and maybe not the best way to revert someone's age, but it just made sense in context and the narrative. Not that I would've done that personally (...or I might've if I was really struggling and banging my head against the wall, so I can't be so sure what I'd have done in Flynn's place), but I had less of a problem with that than, say, Rouge willing to let Blaze's world die by keeping one of her Sol Emeralds in Treasure Team Tango as I never saw Rouge as that heartless.

Edited by CrownSlayers Shadow

2 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

Maybe I'm a bit too insensitve, but I'm one of those rare folk who actually didn't have a problem with Charmy being mentally handicapped from the Egg Grapes.

Sure it wasn't exactly pleasant and maybe not the best way to revert someone's age, but it just made sense in context and the narrative. Not that I would've done that personally (...or I might've if I was really struggling, I can't be so sure what I'd have done in Flynn's place), but I had less of a problem with that than, say, Rouge willing to let Blaze's world die by keeping one of her Sol Emeralds in Treasure Team Tango as I never saw Rouge as that heartless.

Speaking as a woman whose brain feels more 'childlike' at times due to my mental condition/neurodivergency, I can kind of see Charmy's condition as passable and believable under the circumstances (a permanent side effect of trauma from a fictional torture device); the thing that made it uncomfortable was the fact that the guy was married. Not that people with mental conditions shouldn't get married, or that married people never get brain damage, but my brother summed it up best with "Hi, I'm six years old. Meet my wife."

...yeah, that kind of raised a bunch of uncomfortable questions, right there. Questions that admittedly wouldn't be quite as problematic if they didn't have to be explained in a children's comic about animal people. In an adult book it'd be easier to cover topics like this, but for kids...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

Speaking as a woman whose brain feels more 'childlike' at times due to my mental condition/neurodivergency, I can kind of see Charmy's condition as passable and believable under the circumstances (a permanent side effect of trauma from a fictional torture device); the thing that made it uncomfortable was the fact that the guy was married. Not that people with mental conditions shouldn't get married, or that married people never get brain damage, but my brother summed it up best with "Hi, I'm six years old. Meet my wife."

...yeah, that kind of raised a bunch of uncomfortable questions, right there. Questions that admittedly wouldn't be quite as problematic if they didn't have to be explained in a children's comic about animal people. In an adult book it'd be easier to cover topics like this, but for kids...

...ya know, normally I'd say it being a comic marketed for kids isn't an excuse for not having problematic topics barring a very select few, but when you put it like that, I can see people's points a bit better. I don't even have an explanation to explain that one.

Also, I forgot Charmy was even married or had a significant other at the time. Come to think of it, I don't think I paid attention to that with Charmy back in the Pre-reboot era. Wasn't he still 16 at the time?

Edited by CrownSlayers Shadow

9 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

Come to think of it, I don't think I paid attention to that with Charmy back in the Pre-reboot era. Wasn't he still 16 at the time?

I don't know his age for certain because I know there's been a couple of years pass over the course of the comic, but I'm pretty sure that if 'that person' was the one writing Charmy's arc at the time, then I can absolutely believe that he'd write a marriage at that age.

In fairness, there was also Antoine and Bunnie getting married, and Flynn even addressed the question of them marrying too early in the Tails' Adventure series in Sonic Universe. I still crack up when Antoine asked Bunnie if they'd married too early and Bunnie joked "He asks this on our honeymoon, no less" and Antoine, flustered, tries to explain what he actually meant.

2 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

I don't know his age for certain because I know there's been a couple of years pass over the course of the comic, but I'm pretty sure that if 'that person' was the one writing Charmy's arc at the time, then I can absolutely believe that he'd write a marriage at that age.

I'm guessing they went off of my the US Knuckles' Chaotix manual said, which was apparently 16. However, the Japanese manual didn't have anything listed for his age.

And honestly, I don't know how I would have written his mental de-aging either. The best thing I can think of is having his younger, time-displaced self replace the older version of him. A bit of an ass-pull but less likely to have negative connotations.

On 4/20/2024 at 11:21 PM, captobvious42 said:

I'm guessing they went off of my the US Knuckles' Chaotix manual said, which was apparently 16. However, the Japanese manual didn't have anything listed for his age.

And honestly, I don't know how I would have written his mental de-aging either. The best thing I can think of is having his younger, time-displaced self replace the older version of him. A bit of an ass-pull but less likely to have negative connotations.

To be honest, I am not sure if there is a way to write it without it being insensitive. 

Edited by Guergy