Awoo.

Japanese Exclusive MMO Golf Game Starring Sonic the Hedgehog Restored After 15 Years

sonicclaasic

https://sonic-city.net/2023/09/06/japanese-exclusive-mmo-golf-game-starring-sonic-the-hedgehog-restored-after-15-years/

In the ever-evolving world of video games, where new releases dazzle and entertain, there’s an equally crucial story unfolding behind the scenes – one of video game preservation. Recent efforts by organizations like the Video Game History Foundation have thrust this topic into the spotlight, revealing a startling truth: nearly 90% of ‘classic’ video games have faded into obscurity, no longer accessible to today’s gamers.

The reasons behind these vanishing acts are as varied as the games themselves. Some classics are lost in the labyrinth of licensing agreements, while others remain locked away because companies opt not to release them digitally. In some heartbreaking cases, games have been entirely erased from history or rendered unplayable due to insurmountable technical challenges.

A poignant example of this predicament lies in titles that relied on online access. The 2000s witnessed an explosion of Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOs), many of which blazed brightly for a brief time before fading into the digital ether. Among these is Sega SPLASH! Golf, a 2008 MMO golfing gem that shone for less than ten months before Sega abruptly pulled the plug, condemning it to oblivion – until now.

Read full story link above. Never heard of Sega Splash Golf game before but the game looks Interesting with Sonic In It as well. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sonicclaasic

• Phoenix

• ellish

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A golf MMO. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work. I can certainly see something like PSO, with lobbies and stuff. But an actual living, breathing virtual world, revolving around golf? I'm so confused.

Edited by Phoenix

On 9/8/2023 at 1:50 AM, Phoenix said:

A golf MMO. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work. I can certainly see something like PSO, with lobbies and stuff. But an actual living, breathing virtual world, revolving around golf? I'm so confused.

I can understand your confusion. Golf is not a very popular video game genre, so it will be difficult to attract a large enough audience to make the game profitable. I thought about it a little bit, so I guess that some features that an MMO golf game might include include a variety of courses to choose from, different multiplayer modes, and the ability to customize your character and equipment. Additionally, the game may incorporate elements from other popular MMOs, such as a persistent world, social features, and a sense of progression.

Edited by ellish