Awoo.

Your character direction

goodone121

I know it's but a cartoon, but Sonic's character in the OVA was PERFECT.

"SHUT UP TAILS!"

*flips off Eggman*

I mean, he wasn't TOO big a jerk, but just had less cheese/Mr. Nice Guy. Now, it's all good and fair for him to be nice...just not all the time. At least have him be more a jerk around Eggman, or just throw in more Sonic/Eggman interaction period.

From my understanding, Naoto Oshima was heavily involved in the production of the Sonic OVA, so his attitude can be considered canon.

If it isn't, that's how Sonic needs to act.

Shadow needs to act more like he does in Sonic Universe.

Tails needs to do stuff other than mess around with gadgets all day. Sonic is friends with him because he can keep up.

Wasn't Tails 12 or so in Sonic 2? I swear I read that they made him younger around the time SA came out.

This, not so much. Tails' gadgetry skill has already been emphasised a lot. Too much, even. I would like to see Tails as Sonic's tag-team partner again. It saddens me that Tails has been pretty much taken off active duty and is no longer seen as having fighting potential. While I love his mad tech skillz and I adore the Tornado, I would also like to see him make better use of his two awesome tails... their his namesakes, after all!

Tails's knack for trinkets has been flanderized to extreme points that now he feels a lot more like a tool than an actual character.

For fuck's sake, Tails only flew like what, four times in the entirety of Sonic X? Preposterous. That flying ability was what got me to like the character in the first place, because I thought it was badass. They don't even mention that ability in manuals anymore.

Edited by Jake

I know it's but a cartoon, but Sonic's character in the OVA was PERFECT.

"SHUT UP TAILS!"

*flips off Eggman*

I mean, he wasn't TOO big a jerk, but just had less cheese/Mr. Nice Guy. Now, it's all good and fair for him to be nice...just not all the time. At least have him be more a jerk around Eggman, or just throw in more Sonic/Eggman interaction period.

Yeah, I loved his character in the OVA- he really showed the attitude that it seems Sega was striving to portray him with. I think the only time we really saw that sort of character in the games was when Sonic was ignoring Tails on the Egg Carrier in SA1. It's sort of a pity that brother-like relationship isn't really looked into that much anymore. If at all.

But as far as far as the games go, I still think Unleashed and Black Knight are great steps in the right direction. (At least in comparison to Pick-a-Fight Sonic in SA2, Ego Sonic in Sonic Heroes or Gary-Stu Sonic in Sonic 06)

Edited by SuperStingray

Why is it so hard to go a little deeper?

It's not hard, per se. Sonic Team just sucks at it.

I'm probably going to sound weird for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic and Tails romantic relationship become canon in some way. I like Sonic x Amy just as much, but that was already made an optional part of the canon in Chronicles. I know there's the whole taboo against homoromantic relationships in kids games, but I'd be satifisfied if they just kind of implied it.

What in God's name makes you think they would "imply" anything of the sort? Not only is it unnecessary, but it's just plain stupid. Is accepting the fact that everyone's straight really that difficult?[/rant]

Tails has been 8 since Sonic 2. Says so in Sonic Jam, if I recall.

Edited by Ryan the Game Master

I'd have Sonic as a reckless, yet responsible daredevil willing to jump off the peaks of Mt. Everest blindfolded and live without any broken bones. He'd be someone concerned for the safety of others, yet one who likes to taunt his foes to their edges. Despite how good Sonic Unleashed's plot was, Sonic didn't actually do much taunting in there.

Shadow, instead of being a GUN agent, would be a wandering mercenary. He'll work for whoever benefits him, and isn't exactly too caring of the results. He's willing to blow up an entire city block just to get to the other side if there aren't any other paths. He does have morals, and although he'll decimate a building full of people, he won't allow the lives of innocent millions to be harmed. If you want to destroy millions of people for whatever reason, and Sonic is somehow knocked out of commission, if Shadow's in the vicinity you'll have to go through him first. Of course, this destructive nature will make him questionable who's side he's on, thus re-establishing his ambiguous nature.

Eggman...keep him how he was in Unleashed. And push it a bit further if neccesary, like when he actually beat Super Sonic. (take THAT Bowser and your constant trying to capture Peach for the millionth time)

Tails will be more combat capable than he already is. Right now, he fights with his gadgets. For me, I'd make his gadgets work for him. In other words, he doesn't need his tools to fight, but they can help shift the battle in his favor should he utilize them. Should he be without technology, he's go some hand-to-hand skills to hold his own, and while not as strong as Sonic, Shadow, and Knuckles, he's still able to keep a firm ground before he finally falls.

I got more, but that's all from the top of my head right now.

He'd be someone concerned for the safety of others, yet one who likes to taunt his foes to their edges.

Kinda like Spider-Man, right?

Kinda like Spider-Man, right?

You could say that I guess.

Except when it comes to the taunting part of it, I was kinda thinking more like a fusion of Daxter from the Jak series and Dante from Devil May Cry: he'd talk a hell of a lot of shit to folks and is more than capable of backing up his words.

What in God's name makes you think they would "imply" anything of the sort? Not only is it unnecessary, but it's just plain stupid. Is accepting the fact that everyone's straight really that difficult?[/rant]

Tails has been 8 since Sonic 2. Says so in Sonic Jam, if I recall.

While my personal opinion remains the same, I don't see any reason I should force mine on you, so I figured I'd have a little fun and choose a more reasonable pairing for old Orange given the logic you've presented me with.:D

I think Marine would work well as a girlfriend for Tails. She's around the same age he is, and shares more in common with him personality-wise than Cream does. She's in another dimension, but unlike Blaze, she has no obligation to stay there, at least that I know of.

Eggman...keep him how he was in Unleashed. And push it a bit further if neccesary, like when he actually beat Super Sonic. (take THAT Bowser and your constant trying to capture Peach for the millionth time)

While I'm all for the Eggman love, Bowser has committed some truly effective misdeeds before. The Koopa king's even bested Mario on occasion(Such as the intro to Paper Mario), though admittedly only "normal" Mario and not one of his more powered-up forms.

As for Eggman, the man is a two-sided coin, and both sides are important. Eggman should be big, imposing, and powerful... But at the same time he should be a flashy, dynamic character with loads of personality. Unleashed nailed it, and I hope we see more of the same as well.

Paper Mario's introductory battle was one of the most amazing moments for me.

Eggman just needs to go all Super 'Botnik and shit, mang, like how Bowser did with the Star Rod.

By the way, as I was reading issue 50 in the Archie series, I took special note of the climatic battle near the end. It's something I've never really thought of before: Robotnik battling Sonic with nothing but his bare fists. The hedgehog was quicker, of course, but Robotnik managed to knock a few strong hits against him, such as grabbing Sonic by the head and swinging him against the wall, and subsequently slamming his body into the floor with brute force. I would really like to see Eggman pull off a stunt like that in a desperate sort of situation, too, like an additional boss upon beating the game's final boss.

Edited by Jake

Paper Mario's introductory battle was one of the most amazing moments for me.

Eggman just needs to go all Super 'Botnik and shit, mang, like how Bowser did with the Star Rod.

By the way, as I was reading issue 50 in the Archie series, I took special note of the climatic battle near the end. It's something I've never really thought of before: Robotnik battling Sonic with nothing but his bare fists. The hedgehog was quicker, of course, but Robotnik managed to knock a few strong hits against him, such as grabbing Sonic by the head and swinging him against the wall, and subsequently slamming his body into the floor with brute force. I would really like to see Eggman pull off a stunt like that in a desperate sort of situation, too, like an additional boss upon beating the game's final boss.

I'd love to see a "Super Eggman", whether he purely powers up with the Emeralds or- putting his brilliant mind to use- creates a power suit to enhance his speed and strength via the Emeralds' energy. As much as I love the bulky mechs, something more focused on the man himself would be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd love to see a "Super Eggman", whether he purely powers up with the Emeralds or- putting his brilliant mind to use- creates a power suit to enhance his speed and strength via the Emeralds' energy. As much as I love the bulky mechs, something more focused on the man himself would be awesome.

I guess, but that would seem out of character for him. He's more of the type that would rather feed his intellectual ego by being satisfied by the achievements of his creations, as opposed to his physical strength ego.

Edited by SuperStingray

While I'm all for the Eggman love, Bowser has committed some truly effective misdeeds before. The Koopa king's even bested Mario on occasion(Such as the intro to Paper Mario), though admittedly only "normal" Mario and not one of his more powered-up forms.

Like you said, that was normal Mario. Eggman, however, messed up the "Super" in Super Sonic, and unlike Bowser in Paper Mario, he wasn't even invincible. He was all normal flesh and blood. And hell, end the end Mario beat him even when he could be invincible with the new powers he gained.

I don't care what anyone says, Bowser doesn't have shit on that. Unlike Bowser attempting to steal the Star Rod again, Eggman could very well sap the superform again, meaning Sonic would have to be more cautious against him.

I guess, but that would seem out of character for him. He's more of the type that would rather feed his intellectual ego by being satisfied by the achievements of his creations, as opposed to his physical strength ego.

Not really, having a mechsuit would practically be the pinnicle of his creations, and would allow him to be a more unpredictable, menacing, and dynamic character. It would also making him more imposing to Sonic and the gang, as instead of trying to bulldoze their way into his fortresses just to get to him, they'd have to be more wary of their moves as Eggman now has the power to take them on hand-to-hand.

I'd say it would be more of a plus, just so long as they don't make it too much of his focus once he brings out the suit.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Like you said, that was normal Mario. Eggman, however, messed up the "Super" in Super Sonic, and unlike Bowser in Paper Mario, he wasn't even invincible. He was all normal flesh and blood. And hell, end the end Mario beat him even when he could be invincible with the new powers he gained.

I don't care what anyone says, Bowser doesn't have shit on that. Unlike Bowser attempting to steal the Star Rod again, Eggman could very well sap the superform again, meaning Sonic would have to be more cautious against him.

I think of Bowser and Eggman as opposites in many ways. For example. Bowser is about brute force and strength in numbers, whereas Eggman is more about intelligent scheming and self-reliance.

If Mario and Sonic were to have a canon crossover game, I think Eggman and Bowser would actually make a great pair because of this.

Edited by SuperStingray

I wouldn't want to see Eggman with any type of Super form. To me, he makes more of an impact by being a formidable villain against a group of super-powered animals without having physical super powers of his own. In fact, quite the reverse... he's an obese man who uses mechs to get around most of the time. Yet he's still able to get the upper hand through his sheer madman's intellect alone.

I think of Bowser and Eggman as opposites in many ways. Bowser is about brute force and strength in numbers, whereas Eggman is more about intelligent scheming and self-reliance.

It's just funny tho. Bowser's the most menacing creature well-known in his world, and yet his army gets thrashed by a plumber single-handedly. He's got millions and millions of resources to use at his disposal, and it's just amazing to see something that all-mighty get beat by something that all-nothing (generally speaking).

He's the strongest creature Mario repeatedly faces, he has a massive kingdom and land to call his own, able to lift a fraction of Peach's castle (not that anyone's seen him do it, but I'm just saying). And even with all that strength, he's got some hell of intellegence and patience to him. Yet someone so puny is able to beat him. I understand Mario has friends sometimes, but that just seems so...impossible. Even for something like the Mario series. But hey it provides some good entertainment. B)

Whereas in Eggman's case, he's basically the same as Bowser, minus the physical prowess. He can create virtually anything, and a single small warship of his can simply cause mass hysteria around a country (or world) just by flying over a single city. He has millions of resources like Bowser, yet unlike Bowser, it's almost like he makes his works straight from scratch. He has virtually no country or empire (except the one he got in Unleashed) to call his own, and he usually has his main base of operations destroyed in the end and yet in a matter of weeks or so he can simply make an even bigger one on another part of the globe, and all in secrecy until the last moment.

Yet, all his works get thrashed by a blue hedgehog high on speed and worst of all, that's just single handedly. When that same hedgehog's equally superpowered friends get involved, all hell breaks loose on the base. And yet with all his plans ruined, with his massive base of operations broke down in a similar fashion to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and down to the last man he still fights and even STILL he's a force to be taken with the highest course of action until he finally falls.

Both have their cliches to them. Bowser constantly tries to take over the Mushroom Kingdom and its princess, whereas Eggman is constantly trying to conquer the world and remake it in his image (and constantly using monsters of ancient powers to do it). Yet, I can't help that defeat for Eggman is more understandable than defeat for Bowser.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I actually think a powersuit of some kind would suit Eggman perfectly, even if it's only a one-time gig like Bowser and the Star Rod. I've always dreamt of seeing Eggman try taking on Sonic and gang in hand-to-hand combat even just once and actually proving to be formidable at the time - issue 50 fulfilled a part of my desires, as brief as it was (in that issue though, Robotnik had no special suit, but took advantage of the relatively confined area in the room). It would also be seen as Eggman trying to tackle a new technique in his conquest against Sonic.

Plus, I just really want to see Sonic and/or Eggman trying to uppercut one another.

Edited by Jake

Don't tell me you take all obvious jokes this seriously. :P

Ryan, I was on a chair.

Blacklightning, I was serious.

• 6 months later...

Mind if I bump this thread?

I'd make Shadow more douchey than usual and have him blow up stuff with his chaos powers so he can prove a point to people that he's not only badass but his mentally insane.

Sonic, make him like spectacular spiderman without the love drama or the Kyon talkback to himself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Lots of things I would (and HAVE, plugplugplugplugplug) write differently, but the one that pops into my head most immediatly here is: a less incompetent Amy. Fleetway was my original game-supplementing canon, and the semi-action-girl role the comics wrote for her was just so much more believable than "Pink idiot who chases Sonic".

... I mean, she was still a pink idiot who chases Sonic, but on top of that she could lay the smackdown when push comes to shove. It's why I like the scene in '06 where she takes Silver on. She doesn't exactly hammer him, but I'd like to think that the reason Sonic was willing to run after Elise is because he knew she could.

(If he didn't, he's a bit of a jerk)

Someone watched too much Wanted?

How is that like Wanted?

They would be assigned to kill a certain target to save a thousand and transformed a guy from a pussy to a badass and used him to assist in killin his father.

They way I portrayed Shadow was someone menacing yet heroic. Someone who you would feel incredibly unconfortable working around with, knowing that if you do so much as one simple thing the get in his way and oppose him, then he's likely to blast you 5 city blocks away. But while he'll do that, he has morals for whatever his purpose is. And it doesn't involve any revenge against the folks who betrayed him. Rather as someone who will help or harm you depending on his choice of goals.

... and the semi-action-girl role the comics wrote for her was just so much more believable than "Pink idiot who chases Sonic".

Ha ha ha, pink idiot who chases Sonic. :lol:

I like Amy a lot, but I think her and other friends should be downgraded in the super power department. My first impression of Amy was in Sonic CD, where I saw her as a girl who gets herself caught up in a lot of trouble because she basically chases it. I don't see her as a damsel, because I think she craves adventure, which is part of why she loves Sonic. It'd be interesting for her character if she had to rise to the occasion more often, because unlike Sonic I don't see her as an adventurer. I see her as a regular girl with an appetite for dangerous things.

I guess that's a little like Tails' SA1 story, but for Amy it's not about independence, it's thrills.

Someone brought up Shadow, so I'll say my piece on him as well. I came up with an idea for him in a "future Sonic" topic on the old boards. What's happened to Shadow post-SA2 sucks, pretty much. My idea of Shadow doesn't forgive so easily, so he would never work for GUN. After SA2 in reaction to the events of his past, he'd set up a peacekeeping force of his own, in opposition to corruption. He'd live on the ARK like a mad hermit, a hedgehog and his abandoned space station. He'd be a neutral and extremely unpredictable character, which would bring him into conflict with Sonic and friends quite often. Unlike other rivals who fight Sonic through some misunderstanding, Shadow fights because his his radical sense of justice usually places him on the other side. As the heroes' ally Shadow would be incredibly dangerous. All of this would keep Shadow from decaying into what he is today, IMO.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like this depiction of Shadow you speak of. I'm very interested in Shadow being exacly like this. He can't be the nice guy. The only way I could see him working for GUN is if GUN itself is somewhat of a "justice whatever it takes" and then Sonic not taking any of those "whatever it takes" as acceptable and therefore clashing with Shadow a lot. Another way is making Shadow in GUN because he wants to test himself as the ultimate lifeform in the dangerous missions they could give him. Anything else, yes, it degenerates him. Knuckles already has the reluntant friend / rival thing with Sonic. One of them is redundant right now.

I want to see Sonic at least actually 'try' to kill someone instead of defeating them and say "better luck next time!" and let them go free, like he always does.

I think it'd make him more badass. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, the theory behind Wanted was to kill a certain target while save a thousand. That was that you almost exactly said in the reply I quoted.

Well the way I had Shadow was that he can save a thousand OR he can kill a thousand. Which ever gets him closer to his goal.