Awoo.

Your character direction

goodone121

I'd leave the guys from Adventure-Shadow in charge. I miss the comic-book stupidity. That, and multiple perspectives on the same story.

Plus, I'd have more huge, hourlong posts brimming with exposition and scientific evidence as to exactly why 'Sonic's arms/legs/quills are JUST TOO LONG' to laugh at.

What the heck are you on? Seriously.
Don't tell me you take all obvious jokes this seriously. :P

If Shadow and Big can stay the way they are in Chronicles, I think they're good for now.

I agree about Knuckles to be given a purpose for being in a game and not just be a tagalong for no reason whatsoever. Either have the M.E. involved or give a rational explanation or reason why he isn't on guard duty.

I think Eggman should be a tad more sinister and have main villain status in future titles than have it 'Monster of the Week' every time.

As for Shadow, he's better off dead IMO.

Sonic is too nice, and not Sonic-y these days. Where's all that attitude? Where'd it go?! DX

When was it there to begin with?

Cartoons/comics aside, when did Sonic display a rude/bad attitude in the old games? In the era of silent pantomime, the most I can think of is tapping his foot when you waited too long to move. What an attitude.

Sonic is too nice, and not Sonic-y these days. Where's all that attitude? Where'd it go?! DX
I agree. I don't know why people think sonic had attitude in Sonic Unleashed. Smiling and being friendly to all the villagers, real smooth. Look at the cutscenes in Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Heroes, now there's attitude.

I agree. I don't know why people think sonic had attitude in Sonic Unleashed. Smiling and being friendly to all the villagers, real smooth. Look at the cutscenes in Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic Heroes, now there's attitude.

Having an attitude =/= being a jerkass to randoms all the time.

Besides, I like Sonic having a nicer, more caring side. Makes him a more rounded character, and he'd have to be somewhat nice to save the world a lot anyway.

Other than that, I'd like them to make Amy a bit more than just a stalker, maybe more like her SA1 and SA2 days, same with Tails and Knuckles really. Shame they got flanderized so much...

I think you mean Poochied.

Not really, neither Knux, Tails or Amy are new characters, and the first 2 were definitely main. However, Amy's love/lust/whatever for Sonic has become greatly exaggerated, as has Knuckles's boneheadedness, and Tails's mechanical skill. They just took one aspect of each character and took it to the extreme.

And that's exactly why I don't want it to happen.

Another contradiction. You said,

Yeah, but I think Chip was developed enough. Any more would most likely be extraneous to his character.

So, yes or no to development? (If you had to bring him back, I mean. I am speaking hypothetically.)

What I meant was that it could at best only work short term.

Oh, an error in communication.

Edit: Fixed response-an error somewhere mangled it.

Edited by goodone121

When was it there to begin with?

Cartoons/comics aside, when did Sonic display a rude/bad attitude in the old games? In the era of silent pantomime, the most I can think of is tapping his foot when you waited too long to move. What an attitude.

Aside from the movie, in Sonic CD, he'd give you a game over if you a game over if you didn't do anything for 3 minutes, The victory pose at the end of every level in Sonic 3/K, the irritated way he looked at the screen in Sonic 2 and 3 when left for too long, and all those concept images.

I know it's but a cartoon, but Sonic's character in the OVA was PERFECT.

"SHUT UP TAILS!"

*flips off Eggman*

I mean, he wasn't TOO big a jerk, but just had less cheese/Mr. Nice Guy. Now, it's all good and fair for him to be nice...just not all the time. At least have him be more a jerk around Eggman, or just throw in more Sonic/Eggman interaction period.

And get a VA for Tails that sounds more like he did in the Adventure series....PLEASE. I can't stand his Sonic X voice...>_<

VA aside, make Tails' intelligence a bit more...apparent? More gadgetry and such he makes for Sonic or to help on adventures, bring back his Lab for sure.

Otherwise...everything already said in here. Knuckles have a purpose, Eggman slightly less comic relief, Amy less stalker and more SA1-like.

Edited by Roffles

Don't tell me you take all obvious jokes this seriously. :P

Heck yeah, if they ain't the least bit funny. <_<

Anyway, regarding Sonic's attitude...just how much does he need, anyway? I, for one, would rather not have him be an arrogant jerk to everyone he meets just to jack off his own ego. The comics do enough of that as it is (it's been toned down, though).

I rarely made snarky comments in Chronicles, mainly because the Blue Blur simply isn't a douche. Granted, I did make a few every time he was underestimated, but for the msot part, I had him ease up. Besides, the script itself had plenty of 'tude on its own without me adding on to it.

Simply put, the cast needs development all around. Would everyone really be so against some...I don't know...LIFE added to everyone? I know some people have grown content with their current roles and insist that they shouldn't go beyond that, but come on...each and every character introduced so far (playable, scrapped, etc) is capable of so much more...

But, whatever. That's just my opinion. -_-

Edited by Ryan the Game Master

I know it's but a cartoon, but Sonic's character in the OVA was PERFECT.

"SHUT UP TAILS!"

*flips off Eggman*

I mean, he wasn't TOO big a jerk, but just had less cheese/Mr. Nice Guy. Now, it's all good and fair for him to be nice...just not all the time. At least have him be more a jerk around Eggman, or just throw in more Sonic/Eggman interaction period.

I, too, loved Sonic in the OVA. His interaction with Tails was priceless. It showed how Sonic can be a jerk, yet also show that he does care, he just has a roundabout way of showing it. Rather than being totally mushy, he had attitude, but he wasn't a bastard. Just acted like one occasionally XD

And get a VA for Tails that sounds more like he did in the Adventure series....PLEASE. I can't stand his Sonic X voice...>_<

This I agree with wholeheartedly. If it's impractical to give him a boy VA (they grow up too fast, yeah yeah), at least give him a girl VA who doesn't give him a voice that sounds like a cross between Amy and Ash Ketchum *Shudder*. Sadly, Tails currently has that very annoying grating forced girl-VA-trying-to-sound-like-a-boy that plagues a lot of anime...

VA aside, make Tails' intelligence a bit more...apparent? More gadgetry and such he makes for Sonic or to help on adventures, bring back his Lab for sure.

This, not so much. Tails' gadgetry skill has already been emphasised a lot. Too much, even. I would like to see Tails as Sonic's tag-team partner again. It saddens me that Tails has been pretty much taken off active duty and is no longer seen as having fighting potential. While I love his mad tech skillz and I adore the Tornado, I would also like to see him make better use of his two awesome tails... their his namesakes, after all!

Otherwise...everything already said in here. Knuckles have a purpose, Eggman slightly less comic relief, Amy less stalker and more SA1-like.

This, also :)

Sonic needs more attitude. More and more he's becoming a cheesy "thumbs up" kind of character that sort of tries too hard to be cool. I also think Tails could use some more fleshening out. As for Knuckles, if he's going to remain a regular, would they mind resolving the issue of him not being with the ME? What happened to his duty? All in all they could become a closer knit group. They don't really feel like close friends to me.

All in all they could become a closer knit group. They don't really feel like close friends to me.

I agree. I have to admit, I've never really liked the whole vibe that none of them spend any time together unless there's a world emergency that they need to band together for. Sometimes there's a few bits of dialogue that really remind you of how close they are - but for good/best friends (especially Sonic and Tails), they seem to spend so much time apart and seem to really only have a working relationship rather than a real friendship. I'd like more of a tight-knit group feel to Sonic and friends :\

Chip's awesome, but I don't think he'd make much sense in other games. I see nothing wrong with any of the characters being involved in any games as long as it's not just fanservice or them simply being tacked on. They need to have a reason for being involved.

I have nothing against current characters' personalities... Almost.

Shadow: let's skip his Chronicles' behaviour of a person who needs a serious therapy. ._. But, Shadow at the very beggining was a very charismatic, sombre and calm person, with somewhat dignity. Nowadays, he's just a random hero without any charisma at all, if not acting OOC by being antisocial to everyone besides his friends, he's being a silent serious stuff guy. But maybe that's just his Voice Actor. (I truly & sincerely despise A. J. Griffith)

He should be given more depth. That means giving emphasis on charisma. He shouldn't stick into everything... Well, I personally loved how Sonic Battle did the job.

Sonic: He also has his flaws. However, they're mostly caused by poor scripting (and mediocre VOICE ACTOR (good thing we still have Mr. Junichi Kanemaru! :D)). He's also losing substance... In SatBK, about the climax he mentions how a world that has no end has no sense. :D That sounded ridiculous. Even if it's a mistranslation, why does he think so? It's more like a line forced in to suit SatSR's fashion.

Eggman: he's a scientist. Why is it so hard to tell? We hardly ever get a peak at his work. We had a nice view on prof. Gerald's research from his journal, and that allows one to have some amount of respect. But Eggman, despite having a high academic degree, is shown just as some random villain hell-bent on conquering the world with his robos. Why does he want to rule the world? Where does he get his funds from? Why is such an insane villain a doctor? Why is it so hard to go a little deeper?

Oh, and I'd kill Chip. >>---8-->

Why does he want to rule the world?

Because in his childish mind, no one deserves to rule the world as much as he does. The fact that one of the existing governments wrongfully murdered his grandfather might have something to do with it as well.

Where does he get his funds from?

Sonic Battle and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity both show that he owns companies that sell Security Robots, as well as Robotnik Inc, which creates a line of Extreme Gear, which I assume he also owns.

Why is such an insane villain a doctor?

The same reason Wily and Dr. Claw are insane, villainous doctors. =p

Why is it so hard to go a little deeper?

lol Sonic Team.

I'd like to play Sonic as just a bit more experienced. Right now, he feels like a snotty punk with a heart of gold. I'd like him to feel like an unpredictable adventurer whose daily life is filled with excitement. With a certain degree of snottyness, of course.

And make him seem a bit tougher, too.

I would fix up Knuckles... Nowdays he's super gullible and kind of seen as a bit st00pid. Though I think his VA might have to do with a part of my opinion. I liked SA2 Knuckles a lot. He was independent and not tagging along with Sonic and Tails, etc. and was mostly doing his own thing. I would make him more SA2 styled. c: Plus, what happened to the Master Emerald?? Shouldn't he be guarding that thing?

---

With Shadow, once again I prefered SA2 personality. I dunno, I kinda like the whole Maria thing. Showed that Mr. Grumpy has a soft side and that Maria's words could suddenly change his role or actions in the game and make him more passionate about what he was doing. Though I don't know how I would work that into the current games, seeing how he just happened to forget all that crap that happened to him and that he doesn't want to deal with his past anymore. *shrug* Also, I think he works how for him better if he could easily work for the good or bad side depending on what he feels like.

---

Tails, I think he could get into more of the action instead of just being a side character that helps with technology crap. Him in SA1 was pretty good, I thought.

Edited by PrincessTikal

I'll agree with Flyboy that the "gadget" aspect of Tail's character has become a negative weight on the character. I'd like to see Tails doing more actual physical combat, following Sonic around again, getting his super form back, and possibly even gaining a bit of magic...foxes with multiple tails are known for that sort of thing, after all.^_~

Oddly enough, I've come to realize that most of why I liked Chip was because he more or less represented the way Tails used to be in older games.

I'm probably going to sound weird for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic and Tails romantic relationship become canon in some way. I like Sonic x Amy just as much, but that was already made an optional part of the canon in Chronicles. I know there's the whole taboo against homoromantic relationships in kids games, but I'd be satifisfied if they just kind of implied it.

I guess they'd have to age Tails, up, though, huh?^_^;; Is he STILL eight?O_o

There was a time I would have wanted a change to Amy's personality, but they've been handling her pretty well in the most recent games(Unleashed, Chronicles, Black Knight), so I don't have any major complaints with her. What I mean is, the whole "Sonic crush" thing is naturally still there, but it seems like writers have taken time to give her more depth than that. She can be a charmingly kind and warm hearted person when people really feel like writing her that way.