Awoo.

Best Soundtrack Contest - Mk III

JezMM

Rooftop Run - Day.

Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia would be cool if not for what sounds like a crappy tuba synth. That, or they screwed up recording it, because it sounds like crap.

Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia. It's my second favorite final boss theme (after the one in Sonic 2006).

Bit disappointing Cool Edge didn't make it through... But whatever, my vote's for Endless Possibility. Best fitting main theme in a Sonic game ever (and I'm just boring like that).

APOTOS NIGHT

But seriously, I love that tune. Its so relaxing and the nylon guitar makes it so awesome.

I vote for Endless Possibility, its just such an energetic song and really suits Sonic

Now this one is tough. Really really tough.

Uhhh...

I think I Endless Possibilities just wins. But the Apotos tunes and Tornado Offense are amazing also.

It's obvious which track will win this time. -_-

I'll still go with Apotos Night......so relaxing =)

Rooftop Run's day theme should be the new Green Hill Zone theme. As in, the one we hear over and over because it rocks like that. Voting.

Hmm.....I actually choose...

Rooftop Run - Day.

Why?, because not only does it fit the stage perfectly (IMO)....but because it´s energetic high rocing tunes just hype me up until my eyebrowns burn (Now that isn´t literal :lol: )

It's obvious which track will win this time. -_-

It ain't over until it's over! X3

I want to take a moment to talk about my fave tracks that I voted for before since it's fun:

The World Adventure: A great theme tune, but my fave part is the second section. Non-orchestrated versions of this are heard in cut-scenes, but the original orchestral one is nowhere in the game other than the sound test, which is a shame.

Rooftop Run Day: As people have said, it's such an uplifting tune, I would love to hear this again in future games.

Skyscraper Scamper Day: Love this tune, but the best part is section D (the song goes A-B-A-C-A-D then repeats). I love it when tunes get that sort of "sad" - but not sad, if you know what I mean, element to their melody.

Eggmanland Day: I kind of wish there was a bit more to this song than there is, because I kinda have to listen to it loudly on headphones to get the full oomph of it, but it just has such intense percussion and energy to it. Great final stage theme.

Rooftop Run Night: Just fits the level perfectly. Love the "Wickey-wow-wow" scratchy guitar bit near the end of the loop too.

Cool Edge Night: Very chilling (appropriate!) track for the ice stage... I just really like how cool and mysterious this sounds.

Jungle Joyride Night: An absoloute pleasure to listen to. Lovely instrumentation and melody.

Torando Defense: Act 1: Such a cheerful and minimalistic song with such interesting samples used. Such a cheerful song, it really made the atmosphere of the level.

Torando Defense: Act 2: And then it was remixed into a dark version for Eggmanland! Awesome!

Opening: Totally awesome. I was dissapointed there weren't more actiony cut-scenes in the game so we could have more of this awesome orchestra+techno combo.

Come on, why haven't more people voted for Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia? It's...so...epic! XP

In any case, here are my thoughts on the songs I voted for. Comments may contain spoilers!

---------------------------------------

Main Themes

Endless Possibility

This song fits the game rather well. It's happier than most of the other main themes, with a more lighthearted, energetic, positive mood, and I like how the guitar goes along with the melody. I don't really have much to say about the lyrics on this one, actually - I mean, it's a fitting song for the game, but I don't think it's that fitting for Sonic himself. Can someone explain why a lot of people hail this as the most fitting Sonic theme ever? I'm not degrading their opinions or saying the song is overrated, but while this is a pleasant song, I just don't see how it fits Sonic so well. Of course, as I mentioned on page 8, His World is the only main theme I really like, so maybe that's just it.

The World Adventure

I don't think any other Sonic game has used a main orchestral theme like this, but it fits marvelously. It really sounds epic and makes you feel like you're traveling around the entire world. I also like the middle section - it's so calm and peaceful, like it came straight out of an old movie. The opening fits the title screen so perfectly, especially the Wii version for some reason. It's like the laser splitting the planet open, day and night split apart, and that epic theme music starts playing...the 360's title screen is actually sort of lackluster for that opening. It was sort of a surprise to hear such a great orchestra theme like this, since no other Sonic game has done it - when I beat the Werehog stages in the Wii version, I'd always hang around on the "Dark Gaia Force" screen for a bit to hear the music some more. Interesting story there, in fact...since I heard the main theme of the game was called "Endless Possibility", but it was always this song that was playing, I actually thought this song was Endless Possibility for a while. :P

Stage Themes - Day

Arid Sands - Day

I'm not really sure why I like this tune, actually (besides being a nice gritty jive to drown out Parade: Past Memories - also see page 8). Unleashed's soundtrack as a whole didn't appeal to me as much as something like Sonic 2006, but there are a few gems in there. I think this is just a very capturing track - it's a little repetitive, but it sounds very dry and desert-y, and I like that main melody near the beginning with whatever that instrument is.

Jungle Joyride - Day

My favorite Day Stage track in the game. For some reason, to me, it doesn't particularly seem to capture a jungle, but it fits perfectly anyway. The somewhat frantic, rushed air of this piece sort of reminds me that I'm about to enter the game's final chapter, which is a nice feeling. My favorite part of the song, however, and probably the sole reason it's my favorite Day theme in the game, is the "G C Eb D - G# C Eb D - A C F Eb - G# C Eb D" segment that plays a while after the beginning and again near the loop. It's got a particular feeling to it, somewhat sad, but also somehow rushed, like it's encouraging you to run away from some terrible happening. It could fit a place that seems depressing, and yet you know you have to escape!

Eggmanland - Day

It really sounds like you're infiltrating Eggman's fantasy fortress. Eggmanland is different from other Sonic final zones in that it's an entire land of Eggman instead of just a base a something, and this music just sounds insane and crazy in that way only Eggman is. The "C G - A D - C D - E B" section that's repeated a few times is this song's version of that one section in Jungle Joyride Day. It sounds more careful; you have to infiltrate Eggman's base and destroy his objectives, but watch out, too! There's plenty of really cool obstacles coming your way!

Stage Themes - Night

Windmill Isle - Night

This is quite a nice loungy tune. It sounds a little like something I'd hear in a hotel lobby, except with a tiny bit of a more saddening tone, accenting on the fact that Sonic's undergone this extreme change, and now he has to live with it. This song really sounds like it fits Sonic experimenting with his new Werewolf-esque body, with a bit of sadness in his heart. The later Night songs actually sound a bit more like he's grown to enjoy it (as Professor Pickle remarks in a hint), without this sad overtone, and for that, this is a very unique night theme.

Cool Edge - Night

At the frozen top of the world, a Werehog-ified Sonic standing under a blanket of stars, there couldn't be a song that fit more. The orchestral background and "crystally" effects really set that mood into place. If there was ever a song that seemed to create silence by producing sound, this is it. Cool Edge - Night is most likely my favorite Night stage theme in the game, although Eggmanland is right up there too.

Eggmanland - Night

Machinery grinding against machinery! The Night version of the game's final stage fits the about-to-be-epic ending so well, especially in the Wii version - the numerous Werehog stages leading further and further into the Earth's interior are my favorite part of that version. You just know something amazing and unexpected is going to happen. This song's slower, more intense and forceful version of the Day song's "C G - A D - C D - E B" section is also my favorite part, especially when it gets really heavy the second time it loops around. I always think of Sonic the Werehog swinging on a pole above a pool of molten lava, deep within the Earth, when I hear that section.

Boss Themes

vs. Egg Dragoon

This is honestly my favorite non-final Sonic boss theme ever. My absolute favorite part of Sonic Unleashed, in both versions, is the ending. The part of the game where the Egg Dragoon showed up, and the fall through the tunnel to the center of the Earth, was the most epic thing in the game. This boss music is just so frantic, intense, and grating. I don't even know how to describe it - it's probably the most intense Sonic boss theme out there, in a certain way that just lets you know the ending is near. All the different sections contribute to this mood in their own little way. It just couldn't possibly fit anything other than a dramatic pre-final boss fight. The intense "AAHHHHHH!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!!" sort of section at 1:52, and the segments that follow, are awesome parts. They (and this song as a whole) would fit an angry boss fight like a charm - Sonic's just going to completely and utterly destroy the enemy for everything he's ever done!

vs. Dark Gaia

The music of the first phase of the final boss really isn't my favorite as far as boss themes go - I'm not really fond of Unleashed's boss themes to begin with, besides the ones I voted for. vs. Dark Gaia does have a certain dark, terrifying, almost dream-like tone to it, which fits - if you were in the center of the Earth fighting a gigantic mythical monster, you'd probably feel like you were dreaming too. The second part of the song, used during the Sonic portions of the fight, is better than the first half, in my opinion - it's got a somewhat different tone to it, like a subdued version of the giant colossal monster fighting. Which, by the way, was awesome.

Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia

As I mentioned earlier, this is my second-favorite Sonic final boss theme, after Sonic 2006. This is much the same concept as that one, actually - it's an orchestral rendition of the main theme, something I think is really nice and better than using the main theme itself or some other song that isn't the main theme. The style this one is done in is a bit different from Sonic 2006, in fact, in a way I really like - it really follows the lead of Endless Possibility, but is developed into a dramatic, really orchesta-style song that could stand on its own as an excellent song even if Endless Possibility didn't exist. The beginning sets it up perfectly, and the softer, "sad" section JezMM mentioned is next - and then the song gradually builds up, becoming ever more confident, until the "The possibilties...are never-ending!" section, where it reaches the epitome of its triumphant and confident mood. Then it's the chorus with more driving, upbeat notes. And I love how all this fits to the tune of Endless Possibility - it's the main theme, and all of the different vocal sections of the song are crafted masterfully into a triumphant orchestra piece with new emotional feeling. The sudden switch to a minor key and different section after the second chorus is also one of the best parts in the song. Sheesh...I wonder if I do really like this song better than Solaris Phase 2!

Town Themes - Day

Apotos - Day

I'm not that crazy about any of the town themes, but Apotos Day is pretty good. It's a relaxing, fitting tune.

Shamar - Day

This is one of the more "actiony" town themes - it really feels like in the town, stuff is happening (and if you'll pardon the Sonic Chronicles inside joke, we're losing power!).

Empire City - Day

Something about this song just seems to capture me. It fits a busy city with all kinds of activity that you can explore. Of course, well, you can't really explore it - that city hub was ridiculously little.

Town Themes - Night

Apotos - Night

Much like the day one. This song brings the nighttime Entrance Stage to mind. That part just sticks out in my mind for some reason...maybe because of all the marveling I did at the distant, beautiful land formations. It really feels like you're there.

Spagonia - Night

Similar to Apotos Night, this song sticks out because of my memories of the Entrance Stage - I remember exploring it as the Werehog, and checking out that elevator place, and going to that underground sewer area. It really felt like I was exploring the field in a Paper Mario game or some such.

Shamar - Night

I do sort of like this one for some reason. Perhaps just because it's a nighttime version of the day one, and still sounds kind of active.

Other Themes

Gaia Gate

A great, ambient, encompassing theme. This song really feels like you're exploring, making new discoveries in an ancient temple. It feels like it's really pumping you forward, and for some reason reminds me of my "discovery days" way back when I would read all the outer space and earth science books I could get my hands on. It's too bad this music only appeared in one cutscene in the 360 version; it really forms a nice mood in the Gaia Temples of the Wii version.

Tornado Defense - 2nd Battle

The second Tornado Defense really gets you pumped up for the finale to come. The game's final chapter just keeps getting better as it goes on. The darker remix of the first Tornado Defense song creates a feeling of nostalgia (is that the right word?) - it's been so long since you did the first Tornado Defense, and now it's another, more difficult. This song again reminds me of a Paper Mario game for some reason. Maybe it sort of sounds like one of the songs in there...? Whatever the case, though, it's a similar great feeling.

Wow... Rooftop Run seems to have pulled off a comeback.

Come on, come on... *crosses fingers*

Eggmanland - Night was delicious. It was quite a change from all of the rest of the game's Act soundtracks, which primarily were based upon a certain country's musical culture. I'm not saying the rest was bad, by any means; It just made a larger impact that set it aside from the rest of the game's tracks, just for being so different. The techno-beats, the guitar riffs, and the piano bits just were blended to perfectly together. Not to mention it went so well with that cyberpunk utopia...

Edited by HunterTSF

Just over 12 hours remaining to vote. I'd count them up and give a predicted winner but this one seems a bit too excitingly varied to do so. =D

Just over 12 hours remaining to vote. I'd count them up and give a predicted winner but this one seems a bit too excitingly varied to do so. =D

My vote goes to endless possibilities, good main theme.

I vote for endless possibilities as well. Its easily the best main theme IMO.

NO!!! SUPER SONIC VS. PERFECT DARK GAIA!!!

*ahem* Please? XD

I think we should hire cheerleaders.

"Trumpets, violins, and drums galore! Action seeps into every pore! What's the song we're looking for? SUPER SONIC VS. PERFECT DARK GAIA!!!"

Well, it's all over, and by just one vote difference, Rooftop Run is the winner!

Round 36 - Sonic and the Black Knight (Primary Vote)

Please vote for the appropriate number of tracks per section.

Vocal Themes - Up to 3 votes allowed

"Knight Of The Wind" - Main Theme

"Fight The Knight" - Boss Theme

"Through The Fire" - Boss Theme

"With Me" - Boss Theme

"Live Life" - Ending Theme

"Seven Rings In Hand ~Crush 40 Version~" - Bonus Theme

Instrumental Themes - Up to 5 votes allowed

Misty Lake

"Fight The Knight ~Strings Mix~"

Camelot Castle

Deep Woods

Titanic Plain

Crystal Cave

Molten Mine

Faraway Avalon

Knights Passage

Shrouded Forest

Great Megalith

The Cauldron

Dragon's Lair

"Dragon Slayer"

Menu Themes - Up to 4 votes allowed

"The Land Ruled By King Arthur" - World Map

"The Journey Of Chivalry" - Treasury and Emblem

Blacksmith - (remix of "Believe In Myself" from SA)

Battle Menu - (remix of "Knight Of The Wind")

"Five Stars, Awesome!" - Result Screen

"So, So... Okay!" - Result Screen

"One Star, Try Next Time" - Failure Screen

"The Ash Groove" - Main Menu

Option

Ranking

Name Entry

Gallery

"It Doesn't Matter" - Fan Art (remix of "It Doesn't Matter" from SA).

Event Themes - Up to 6 votes allowed

"Black Sword In The Sky" - King Arthur surrounds Merlina and she summons Sonic.

"Into The Story Of King Arthur" - Sonic appears and King Arthur instructs his knights.

"Merlina's Request" - Merlina and Sonic arrive at the Misty Lake.

"The Island Of The Sacred Sword" - Sonic finds Caliburn.

"The Sacred Sword Caliburn" - Caliburn reveals he can talk and King Arthur attacks.

"A Fool Of A Knight" - King Arthur mocks Sonic and leaves.

"Knave The Hedgehog And Oversized Letter Opener" - Sonic and Caliburn argue for the first of many times.

"To The Blacksmith" - Caliburn instructs Sonic to visit the Blacksmith before they meet the Lady of the Lake.

"Theme Of Merlina" - Merlina solemnly contemplates the short life of a flower and tells Sonic that she can't travel with him (remix of "With Me").

"I'm The Blacksmith" - Sonic meets up with the blacksmith in Camelot Castle (remix of "Believe In Myself" from SA).

"Sir Lancelot Appears" - Lancelot challenges Sonic to a duel (extract of "Throw It All Away" from SA2).

"Calm After The Battle... Arondight" - Sonic recovers Lancelot's sword and goes to meet the Lady of the Lake.

"Nimue... Lady of the Lake" - Sonic talks with the Lady of the Lake.

"Three Days Later... Almost Make It To Meet Deadline" - Sonic rushes back to the Lady of the Lake.

"To The Rescue... A Knight's Law" - Sonic decides to rescue the villagers from the dragon.

"Sir Gawain Appears" - Gawain challenges Sonic to a duel (extract of "Unknown From M.E." from SA).

"More To Be A Knight Than To Serve Your King" - Sonic questions the morality of being a knight (remix of "Knight Of The Wind").

"Knight's Lesson... A True Knight" - The Lady Of The Lake congratulates Sonic on making the right choice.

"Sir Percival... The Knight Of The Grail" - Percival challenges Sonic to a duel.

"Sir Sonic... Knight Of The Wind" - Sonic rescues Percival and Caliburn at last considers Sonic a true knight (remix of "Knight Of The Wind").

"Head To Avalon" - Merlina reunites with Sonic and congratulates him.

"Showdown With King Arthur/Knight Of The Wind - Instrumental Mix" - Sonic faces off with King Arthur (remix of "Knight Of The Wind").

"Glory Of Victory" - Sonic finally defeats King Arthur.

"Orders From The Illusion" - Sonic returns the scabbard to Merlina.

"Merlina - Her Wicked Smile" - Merlina takes the power of the scabbard for herself (remix of "With Me").

"The End Of The World" - Camelot Castle transforms into the Dark Hallow.

"Escape From The Destruction" - Sonic and the Knights of the round table blast through the castle (remix of "Knight Of The Wind").

"For The Kingdom And Its People" - All looks lost until Sonic convinces the Knights otherwise.

"The Barrier" - One of the barrier points are activated.

"Into The Dark Hallow" - Sonic races to Merlina for the final showdown.

"Merlina - The Queen Of The Underworld" - Merlina questions Sonic with the point of a world that will end, and Sonic tries in vain to stop her.

"It Doesn't Matter" - Sonic refuses to give up and gains power from the swords (remix of "It Doesn't Matter" from SA).

"Transform Into Excalibur Sonic" - Sonic transforms to take on Merlina.

"Live Life - Merlina & Sonic" - Sonic convinces Merlina that a world the ends isn't a bad thing (extract of "Life Life").

"Denouement... True King Arthur" - Caliburn declares Sonic the true King Arthur.

"The King's Peril" - Amy rages at Sonic for forgetting their date (extract of "My Sweet Passion" from SA).

My votes:

Vocal Themes: Knight Of The Wind, With Me, Live Life

Instrumental Themes: Misty Lake, Deep Woods, Crystal Cave, Molten Mine, Shrouded Forest

Menu Themes: The Ash Groove, Option, Name Entry, It Doesn't Matter

Event Themes: Knave The Hedgehog and Oversized Letter Opener, Theme Of Merlina, I'm The Blacksmith, Calm After The Battle... Arondight, To The Rescue... A Knight's Law, Merlina - The Queen Of The Underworld