Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Story Dicussion (Full Spoilers)

MetalSkulkBane

It will take me awhile to write up a huge post about everything in the game but this is the best Sonic story since Adventure series/battle and that is not saying much as even back then age has not treated those games as well (though battle is still a great game).

Sage is the best new addition as well to the series as a long time and love the father daughter dynamic. I mean heck the comic shows us why eggman cares for her more than the others currently. They fail him constantly. As he said I want something that I can feel pride behind just once. Sage was doing this and going above and beyond for him without bumbling out the gate. And her attachment to him was a bit better than the rest. Going above and beyond for him while the others again make snide jokes at him or just honestly not try all that hard *outside metal* (but we would need to introduce IDW metal to the game verse finally)

Again that said as someone born at the start of the series i have not smiled this much at a sonic game since my high school years. And I hope they keep IAN around cause for me at least Sonic games stories have been a hot mess for nearly a decade if not more.

As for all the eggman talk that is something that can be worked out over time in the games. I think Sonic fans are so use to boom and done type stories they have a hard time wrapping their head around this game tying into the IDW verse with the name drops and such. IF anything over time we could see Sage appear and help eggman in the future. Given the games post ending AND sega wanting to get the story lore in check going forward and connected pretty sure we will see her again. There would be NO reason to show that and then drop it. Also back to Eggman he can still create things to attack sonic and just have her monitor the situation and advice him if she thinks its wise without actively herself attacking sonic.  If this game ties into IDW verse again Eggman there is cruel beyond measure BUT it has also been shown he still has a small .0000000000000000000000001 percent of a heart deep down. He just refuses to admit it anymore.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, King Conne said:

In some Cyberspaces, Sonic is attacked by tanks and helicopters : do you think they're G.U.N.'s?!...

According to an Eggman memo, they are indeed that.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you mean "cyber space artificial replicas of GUN" then yes. It's more-less said so in one of Egg Memos.

Only I find it weird that Sonic is able to escape, while other don't? His friends never mention seeing fake-Chemical Plant and such. I guess it's main protagonist-will power or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

If you mean "cyber space artificial replicas of GUN" then yes. It's more-less said so in one of Egg Memos.

Only I find it weird that Sonic is able to escape, while other don't? His friends never mention seeing fake-Chemical Plant and such. I guess it's main protagonist-will power or something like that.

I think they mentioned something about it having to do with Sonic's super speed or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I made a funny/fascinating realization. Remember that scene when Sage suggests Sonic shouldn't trust Mystery Voice (End)? Basically going
SAGE: What if the thing you're playing with is dangerous?
SONIC: (shrugs) If they'll start trouble I'll just stop them too.

That's a very Sonic way of thinking: straightforward, direct, overconfident and not worrying about consequences.
But it's freaky that it's VERY EGGMAN as well. This is almost 1:1 Eggman's attitude when he's playing with dangerous forces.

Honestly, the only difference is that Eggman pokes hornet nests when he wants to, Sonic when it's the right thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah. Sonic and Eggman are kinda two sides of the same coin. Both stubborn to a fault, cavalier with danger to the point of irresponsibility at times, and with absolutely massive egos.

Obviously Sonic channels those traits much more productively, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, my biggest problem with Tails, Knuckles and Amy going their separate ways from Sonic, even if it is just temporary, is that it wouldn't matter so much if the development times between games these days wasn't so damn long!

Like, 5 Years between new Sonic games seems to be the new normal, and if the next game does indeed replace the established cast with an entirely new one, then that means we could be waiting years, perhaps decades before we get to see our old favourites again!

Then if the new cast turns out to be more popular than the old guard, then... This is it. This is the end of the story for Tails, Knuckles and Amy (At least as far as the games are concerned).

And that's why i'm so sad. Not the fact that this is happening at all, but the fact that a lot of established, fan-favourite characters are potentially going to be absent for a very long time, possibly forever! 😰

It's too early to tell what Sonic Team is planning. Best not to jump to conclusions and worry yourself.

Try to enjoy Frontiers for what it is, not what it may or may not imply about future games.

• Thumbs Up 8

These characters have stuck around for 30 years, appearing in nearly every game and alternate-media iteration of the series since their introductions, and their individual journeys, if they happen at all, could all be wrapped up offscreen between now and the next game for all we know. There's no reason to get yourself worked up over it.

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Honestly, my biggest problem with Tails, Knuckles and Amy going their separate ways from Sonic, even if it is just temporary, is that it wouldn't matter so much if the development times between games these days wasn't so damn long!

Like, 5 Years between new Sonic games seems to be the new normal, and if the next game does indeed replace the established cast with an entirely new one, then that means we could be waiting years, perhaps decades before we get to see our old favourites again!

Then if the new cast turns out to be more popular than the old guard, then... This is it. This is the end of the story for Tails, Knuckles and Amy (At least as far as the games are concerned).

And that's why i'm so sad. Not the fact that this is happening at all, but the fact that a lot of established, fan-favourite characters are potentially going to be absent for a very long time, possibly forever! 😰

I highly doubt they are going anywhere and even for some off chance one does there is the comics which if they become canon would fill in gaps for the characters not in game

• Thumbs Up 5

I do wonder how Frontiers will be handled in the comics. Seeing as it's the first proper game since Forces, which started the comics, will we be getting an adaptation? If they are a form of canon with the games, they do need to bring SAGE in. I'd definitely look forward to that, much more than the one-shots we normally get.

I'd love to see if Flynn could put in deleted ideas that couldn't make it in Frontiers in the comics storyline.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure if he meant we cant ask him game questions or if characters in game wont show up in the comics for a good bit.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 18-57-30 Ian Flynn on Twitter.png

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Darkvizardberrytan said:

Not sure if he meant we cant ask him game questions or if characters in game wont show up in the comics for a good bit.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 18-57-30 Ian Flynn on Twitter.png

He means he can't be asked anything for a while. Because of NDA I imagine.

If we hear anything about an adaptation or a change in the events it won't be on a bumblekast, but like an IDW Comic-con panel.

• Thumbs Up 6

50 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I doubt it's going to be that long, but I also think this is fine too.

You need new characters to shake-up the status quo every now and then, even if it means stepping on the toes of the OG's.

I know that's not a popular decision and it would get a lot of push back, but the alternative is worse imo. There hasn't been a single character introduced in this franchise that's been a big deal because their personalities are non-existent or they're just poorly written overall, or they're just one-shots who never return.

I don't want them to keep adding new reoccurring characters like before, but there's nothing wrong with adding new characters, giving them an arc, and then moving on to someone else.

There's a reason the likes of Shadow, and Blaze are still popular fan favorites to this day.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I doubt it's going to be that long, but I also think this is fine too.

You need new characters to shake-up the status quo every now and then, even if it means stepping on the toes of the OG's.

I know that's not a popular decision and it would get a lot of push back, but the alternative is worse imo. There hasn't been a single character introduced in this franchise that's been a big deal because their personalities are non-existent or they're just poorly written overall, or they're just one-shots who never return.

I don't want them to keep adding new reoccurring characters like before, but there's nothing wrong with adding new characters, giving them an arc, and then moving on to someone else.

There's a reason the likes of Shadow, and Blaze are still popular fan favorites to this day.

I don't have a problem with them introducing a new character every now and then, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the existing cast, especially if, again, we have to wait 5-10 YEARS before we see them again!

I mean you either sideline the old cast to flesh out the new one, or you shaft the new characters in favor of the same lineup. Trying to do both and you get Sonic 06 with 9 characters and only 3-4 of them are relevant.

And personally, I'm sick to death of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as the primary cast. 12 years of that shit.

I may not like the execution of Sage, but she's the first real cast shake up we've had in a while.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I mean you either sideline the old cast to flesh out the new one, or you shaft the new characters in favor of the same lineup. Trying to do both and you get Sonic 06 with 9 characters and only 3-4 of them are relevant.

And personally, I'm sick to death of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as the primary cast. 12 years of that shit.

I may not like the execution of Sage, but she's the first real cast shake up we've had in a while.

I get what you are saying, and I understand your frustration of wanting something different for the next game, but the way I see it, there is no reason new and old characters can't co-exist in the same game together. Let them get to know each other, have them interact and exchange stories and let them work together. Sure, it may get crowded, but at least its keeping things fresh, while at the same time keeping things familiar too.

Granted it would take a good writer to pull this off, but with a writer like Ian Flynn at the helm, it could work.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I get what you are saying, and I understand your frustration of wanting something different for the next game, but the way I see it, there is no reason new and old characters can't co-exist in the same game together. Let them get to know each other, have them interact and exchange stories and let them work together. Sure, it may get crowded, but at least its keeping things fresh, while at the same time keeping things familiar too.

Granted it would take a good writer to pull this off, but with a writer like Ian Flynn at the helm, it could work.

I mean I'm fine with that, there just needs to be a limit is all.

Sonic games don't need nine main characters lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

You'll still have them in IDW. And Sonic Prime. And Movie-verse. And possible spin-off games, maybe Mania 2.

I think we can survive this kind of  """break""".

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

On 11/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Kuzu said:

That's kind of the same thing; both them pushed to the side in favor of other threats.

But Bowser in general is fine since he's consistent.

Eggman isn't consistent cuz how much morality he has varies. But Frontiers commits to the sympathetic angle, its gonna be harder to justify him as a threat in the future without it coming off as jarring.

They straight up say he's a good person here lol.

I’ve honestly always loved Eggman, and viewed him as a “villain with a heart of gold”.  (I don’t count SatAM or the Archie comics in this.  He was a monster in those, but he was a separate version.  He even LOOKED different.  But I digress.) So I felt his characterization here and the decisions he made were in line with his character.  I really loved him.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Why not give some of the benchwarmers like Team Dark, Blaze, Silver, Chaotix or whatnot a chance to be the supporting cast all close and personal.

Spin 'em in and out like a roulette.

I would LOVE another Chaotix game.  

As for Rouge, slightly irrelevant here, but I adore how they’re putting her in the main cast for Prime instead of yet again creating another disposable female character just for the show, like they did with Sticks and Cream.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile, I'm looking at these character changes with excited optimism.

It's honestly heartwarming to know that, even as Eggman continually fails to conquer the world, he has something else to care about, to be happy about. Sage is Eggman's pride and joy, and not even constant defeat at the hands of the hedgehog can take that away from him.

Potentially, this also could give him a semi-"heroic" motivation in future games where he's playable - such as having to protect/rescue his daughter from a greater threat. There are so many possibilities to explore new aspects of Eggman's character now that Sage is here, and I'm really excited to see what they end up doing with this new dynamic.

• Thumbs Up 1