Awoo.

SONIC FRONTIERS Story Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Story Details, Locations, and Release Date in Sonic Frontiers' Gamescom Trailer at some point.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Ahh we're starting this rhetoric again huh.

I'm glad we are not allowed to comment on our feelings random forum user.

I really don’t think the game will look or play radically different than what the marketing suggests. If everything so far looks unappealing to someone, then the game will probably not be fun to them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Starnik said:

I really don’t think the game will look or play radically different than what the marketing suggests. If everything so far looks unappealing to someone, then the game will probably not be fun to them. 

Yes and we have the freedom to express that in words. 

You don't have to defend the big mega corporation man, they're not gonna pat you on the back for defending this game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Kuzu said:

Yes and we have the freedom to express that in words. 

You don't have to defend the big mega corporation man, they're not gonna pat you on the back for defending this game. 

Wut? I never said you had to hate or like the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Starnik said:

Wut? I never said you had to hate or like the game. 

Telling someone "you sound so bitter, you should accept Sonic isn't for you" kind of gives off those vibes. 

28 minutes ago, Starnik said:

Sonic doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Sonic Team have always taken inspiration from multiple sources for Sonic. Also green hill is like the most iconic stage in the entire franchise. My guess is Sonic Team continues to use that particular stage in order for casuals to recognize the game as Sonic. Without the cyberspace stages, people would say the game doesn’t look like Sonic, even though Sonic hasn’t only been bright and colorful. But whatever. 

If they want people to recognize it as a Sonic game then maybe they should make the whole thing look like a Sonic game, and not just reuse old themes for the linear levels.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If they want people to recognize it as a Sonic game then maybe they should make the whole thing look like a Sonic game, and not just reuse old themes for the linear levels.

What does “look like a Sonic game” even mean? Sonic has looked bright and colorful and also more dark and realistic, depending on the zone or game, like I said in my other post. There is a clear divide in what people want. Some want bright colorful. Some hate bright and colorful. Kinda impossible to make both happy without the cyberspace levels.

This seems important to keep in mind.

The open-zone isn't a big hub world for the Cyber Space stages. The open zone is the main part of the game. 

1 minute ago, Starnik said:

What does “look like a Sonic game” even mean?

Well it certainly used to mean something, but at this point they've almost totally destroyed the series' visual identity. They really ought to revise their approach and find a visual style that's appropriate to the character, that stands out as unique and memorable just as much as Sonic himself.

1 minute ago, Starnik said:

Sonic has looked bright and colorful and also more dark and realistic, depending on the zone or game, like I said in my other post. There is a clear divide in what people want. Some want bright colorful. Some hate bright and colorful. Kinda impossible to make both happy without the cyberspace levels.

Cheap people-pleasing isn't the way to go. If they want something that can stand strong visually, they need the backbone to choose something consistent, even if that means not giving everyone exactly what they want (which is impossible anyway; even if they make half the game colorful and half realistic, that just means everyone hates half of it).

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Telling someone "you sound so bitter, you should accept Sonic isn't for you" kind of gives off those vibes. 

But that’s just how everyone sounds. It sometimes feels like the only reason Sonic is still around is because some people will buy the games despite hating most of them. Seems like “fans” enjoy tormenting themselves or just want content for their YouTube channels. Never seen a group of people so eager to support a company they hate and a franchise that’s disappointed them for decades. How many years of your life will you give to something you hate? I often can’t tell the difference between fans and detractors. They’re both unhappy. 

I’ve grown out of love with franchises before, it’s not fun. But I don’t stick around for years on end expecting something to change. There’s nothing wrong with hating the games. There’s nothing with liking the games. I just understand why stick around when everything you loved about the property is gone anyway. 

Honestly I can understand being burnt out and bitter. Sonic Team have dropped the ball in the past. 

15 minutes ago, Starnik said:

What does “look like a Sonic game” even mean?

It depends on what different people think. Sone have a very specific vision on that.

8 minutes ago, Razule said:

The open-zone isn't a big hub world for the Cyber Space stages. The open zone is the main part of the game. 

If the cyberspace levels are mostly just 1:1 retreads of previous boost level as a way to cut corners to focus on the open zone stuff, I’m gonna laugh so hard. 

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Considering how people are already pointing out the GHZ in the demo has a layout VERY similar to windmill isle, and from the footage that exists of sky santuary being played on the floor, yeah they don't look like anything amazing. Can't say I'm too surprised, if the theory that there are a lot of cyberspace levels in the game are true. Only a matter of time before they start reusing old layouts to save time I guess.

But, at the end of the day it is still a boost game so super linear levels isn't really anything new. At least the open zone part sounds promising, if this tweet is anything to go by.

Hmmm. That's definitely intriguing to know. It matches up with impressions of the combat flowing in well with the speed, which will definitely help the pace of the game.

Definitely excited to hear that parkour is back!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm less distressed at the news about cyberspace layouts than I thought I would be. Still rather annoying, but so long as wholesale copy-pasting like the tutorial level is kept to a minimum, I don't mind it? Sonic's been borrowing stage layouts for other stuff for a good while now, so Frontiers following suit is honestly fine to me given the sheer scope of the game itself. If anything, I expect that the layouts will be a very small percentage of the game in long term. 

It's a bit eye-rolling, but I'm hoping this leads to moments where I happily say "Oh, I recognize this!" instead of "Ugh, they're reusing old layouts AGAIN"

Fact that Sky Sanctuary and the highway level look to be relatively new layout-wise helps ease whatever feelings I may have on it, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Definitely excited to hear that parkour is back!

My one singular Sonic series wish has been granted, a Sonic Lost World 2. Really hoping they refined it a bit to make it snappier/quicker, and if so then this'll be amazing. Maybe the spindash being in the game is true, since it was in Lost World after all. I don't know whether I'm easy to please or not but this one fact has completely shifted my opinion on this game.

I will now buy your game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Posted By: Eggfan21

Green Hill Zone (c) is a very iconic level. I'm very glad that they decided to include it again.

I hope they include a Koco garden too.

Don’t really have a ton of strong feelings one way or the other, personally speaking. I liked the general tone it seems the game is trying to go with, Sonic taking the situation seriously, and if the VA work is any indication, it looks like Roger’s gonna get to have more variety in his performance, which is great to me. When Boom let him really take the role a bit further than just cocky snarker Sonic, Roger really shined imo. 

Not that I want to see him completely dead serious the whole way through, I’d still like to hear him throw some snark around, but it’s nice Roger gets more to work with here. Plus, with Ian’s writing, Sonic might have better quips than “It’s been GENERATIONS since I saw you! *laugh track*”. 

Gameplay wise, I’m still intrigued by the open world gameplay, honestly, and while the trailers haven’t been showing too many positive vibes of it, the good impressions coming from those playing the demos, along with hearing about how many abilities it seems Sonic is going to have this go around is still interesting me. The bounce bracelet especially was surprising to hear make a comeback, along with confirmation that the parkour system from LW is actually properly back. I’m hoping these all come together in a pretty cool way to make traversal more interesting than you’d think. Be cool if later islands required you to start chaining the abilities together, like bounce, homing attack, bounce, stomp, boost, jump, parkour, etc.

The cyberspace levels are…ehhh. The reused locales are already iffy as absolute hell, and as soon as this trailer felt the need to focus on 2D gameplay, my eyes rolled. I’m really damn sick of half-cocked 2D gameplay being used to prop up Boost levels. 

The biggest impression I got from this trailer is that it’s time to cut the crap and start showing actual planned gameplay, uninterrupted. No more chopped up trailers and commercials, no more tiny sandboxes. We’re a few months away from the launch of the game, and we’re still getting embargos and closed door demos. Start showing how these levels will play out properly, start showing more of the open zone gameplay and show how the gameplay loop will work properly. Its pretty annoying just trying to pick apart random trailers to try get smal details of gameplay three months from launch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know the last time I've seen such a disconnect in how previews for a game are received. Everything we have seen has been thoroughly "meh" inducing, but the people who have actually played the game keep praising it.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

I don't know the last time I've seen such a disconnect in how previews for a game are received. Everything we have seen has been thoroughly "meh" inducing, but the people who have actually played the game keep praising it.

Which could mean it's the type of game that's much more fun that it looks.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

I guess that says a lot about how the game is advertised, versus how it actually plays. Granted, this definitely seems like a game best judged by those who actually get to play it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Like how there's a random Sunshine level in Mario Galaxy with "no changes at all"...

The change here is actually less than nothing.

Twisty Trials Galaxy, while largely unchanged from The Secret of Ricco's Tower, is a bonus level that comes well after the main campaign of levels that were either remixed from Galaxy 1 or completely new to Galaxy 2; and you have to collect 80 Power Stars in order to unlock and play it.

Moreover, it wasn't used in pre-release materials as a selling point for Galaxy 2, like Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary are being used for Frontiers. I think Throwback Galaxy might had been shown in pre-release materials, but that's still another outlier to the rest of the game's levels, and that stage holds no bones about it being a returning level from a previous game (it's literally in the name).

1 hour ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Such is the nature of open-ended games. It's easy to judge individual elements, but what's more important and more difficult to discern based just on snippets of footage is how everything coalesces into a single, long experience in the end. It's not that surprising when many open world/open ended games have undergone similar reception in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

Deffo looking forward to the game. From the trailer (and this is not me saying the game will be bad at all) it gives me '06 vibes in respect to some of the aesthetics.

I'll be bagging this on PS4 as I can't imagine there will much difference between console generations judging by the graphics on show. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Posted By: The British Badnik

That trailer was rather good. I'm a bit annoyed that it'll have 2.5D segments in the levels. But I'll won't lose any sleep over it. Looking forward to this game.

But one thing that caught me off was the mention of the Ancients from the Sonic Boom branch. So does this mean that the Ancients are now part of the game canon now?