Awoo.

Takashi Iizuka Reveals Hopes of Using Sonic Frontiers Work Towards Future Sonic Adventure Sequel

Sonictrainer

3 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I mean, they've essentially made Sonic Adventure 3 several times now (and just not given it that specific title) ...so sure, whatever Izuka.

There's never been defining format for that series (or any 3D Sonic game as it happens) in general anyway. So it's kinda difficult to get excited for something that "may come" one day but will dissapoint fans because it doesn't very closely resemble either Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. 

But the door is open. Well, It's more like you say that is always been open, but they never tried to truly commit to it.

Just now, mayday2592 said:

What even makes a game an Adventure game aside from the name? Most of the elements gameplay and features have been used in other 3D games anyway.

I supposed it was the higher focus on plot from different character perspectives, the setting being more rooted in the real world, upgrades, and of course the chao garden. But you're right that some of those things were a focus of other titles after as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Iko said:

There is a big problem here though. An adventure game made with the gameplay concepts of Frontiers is not really an adventure game, it's a boost game with story.

The main problemsa are the more limited physics, the excess of automation (even more than in the original Adventure games which already had some) and bad controls (because Sonic struggles even to move with the 8 directions input relative to the camera and you can feel the struggle through the footage that has been shown, when the camera is not perfectly aligned with were you want to go).

I don't want an adventure game like that, honestly, and the idea that he's considering to waste the next 5 years for a game like that just scares me.

The open zones are like the evolution of the Adventure fields, and Sonic Adventure was originally meant to have more RPG elements. So, the similarities are there

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Iko said:

There is a big problem here though. An adventure game made with the gameplay concepts of Frontiers is not really an adventure game, it's a boost game with story.

The main problemsa are the more limited physics, the excess of automation (even more than in the original Adventure games which already had some) and bad controls (because Sonic struggles even to move with the 8 directions input relative to the camera and you can feel the struggle through the footage that has been shown, when the camera is not perfectly aligned with were you want to go).

I don't want an adventure game like that, honestly, and the idea that he's considering to waste the next 5 years for a game like that just scares me.

I mentioned this in the other topic, it doesn't matter (...about what haaaappens) when they eventually title one of their games "Sonic Adventure 3" - it won't satisfy those that specifically want it to closely resemble Sonic Adventure 1 or 2.

I mean those 2 games couldn't be more different from each other anyway despite some shared concepts and a title. So with that in mind so you may as well call Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Forces, or Sonic Frontiers "Sonic Adventure 3". 

• Thumbs Up 3

Should we really take what he said here any more seriously than "-and to see classic and modern together is a special, one-off event to celebrate Sonic’s anniversary. So it won’t be the standard format going forward."

Y'know, what he said in 2011/2012 that ended up not being what happened?

What i'm saying is that it's just buzz words.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/4/2022 at 7:31 PM, Razule said:

I say that instead of delaying the game, we all buy the game when it releases and campaign for this to be one of the best-selling Sonic games. Think of it like a donation. It'll encourage SEGA to put the money and talent into making the 2027 Sonic game the next decade's foundation. What's the worst that could happen?

I was joking before, but.. if you want a new Adventure game, you know what you gotta do👀

Iizuka saying he wants to continue the Sonic Adventure series acting like he didn't make Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog.

Just now, light-gaia said:

The open zones are like the evolution of the Adventure fields, and Sonic Adventure was originally meant to have more RPG elements. So, the similarities are there

I could apply this logic to literally any game that came after SA1...

But if you actually want to go with that argument, 06 is SA3, with Unleashed being a very close second.

The actual working mentality for SA1 and the design mantra for it, was to make a Sonic game as realistic as possible, that's why the developers went on the world tour, not just to research and document the environments in detail, but also to experience what it was actually like to move, to live, to play and to work in those environments and channel that into the game.

The one prime continuity between SA1 and SA2 is that design philosophy, the devs moved to San Francisco, so the game is set in the Bay area and the immediate surrounding national parks, which is where they conducted all their research.

Heroes on the other hand, whilst it had the SA3 title, it's far more surreal in approach.

Shadow... well again, it had the SA3 title, but is clearly more a spinoff even though narratively it continues the story.

06 on the other hand, this game had the same working mentality as SA1 and 2. Make a Sonic game look and be as realistic as possible. Everything that went into the design mantra for 06 is the same as SA1. 

The next to continue that trend is Unleashed.

Honestly, the statement from Iizuka is one of those that devs do a lot of which makes my eyes roll every time I hear it, the assumption that "Oh if this game does well, we'll do it." 

It's just so meaningless at this point, Imagine for a moment how negative the publicity for Frontiers would be right now if it were announced as SA3, nobody would accept it. Yet, they want to do a future 3D Sonic game in the Frontiers idea with Adventure, despite the fact Frontiers isn't even out and nobody outside of Sega has played it... erm... Sorry but... I don't fall for this PR talk as easily anymore.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, jungle_penguins said:

Iizuka saying he wants to continue the Sonic Adventure series acting like he didn't make Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog.

Sonic Heroes was meant to be a different series, he said that in the interviews at that time. He said Sonic Heroes wasn't supposed to replace Sonic Adventure series and that he still wanted to continue the Adventure games as a separated series. Shadow the Hedgehog was also meant to be a different series focused on a different audience. The games are set in the same universe and their stories belong to the same canon, but neither Sonic Heroes nor Shadow the Hedgehog was meant to be Sonic Adventure 3.

6 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

But the door is open. Well, It's more like you say that is always been open, but they never tried to truly commit to it.

I supposed it was the higher focus on plot from different character perspectives, the setting being more rooted in the real world, upgrades, and of course the chao garden. But you're right that some of those things were a focus of other titles after as well.

Exactly. They both share very similar concepts and ideas - but the execution of both games overall is quite different. They just didn't commit to the title for future releases, and there's nothing wrong with that of course. I just think when Sonic Adventure 3 / Subtitle arrives... it won't be what we want it to be, and maybe that's why they've avoided using the name previously (although they were very close with the Japanese Titled Version of Sonic Unleashed of course...)

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Iko said:

The main problems are the more limited physics, the excess of automation (even more than in the original Adventure games which already had some) and bad controls (because Sonic struggles even to move with the 8 directions input relative to the camera and you can feel the struggle through the footage that has been shown, when the camera is not perfectly aligned with were you want to go).

I'm gonna copy and paste what I said on Twitter.

The exact same people who are hyping up the Iizuka quote are gonna be the ones pissed when it ends up inevitably not being what they expected.

Also, yeah it's what Badnik Mechanic said; It's just PR talk that amounts to nothing, and I'm not falling for it. This is the same franchise that changes formulas even when the games are a success, so why the hell should I, or anyone, trust in his words of using Frontiers as a jumping off point for a SA3?

Not even bringing up the fact I don't even really want a Sonic Adventure 3 but I digress. 

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I think Sonic Adventure 3 can work with the Boost, considering we had Sonic Unleashed, which had some Sonic Adventure elements like the hub world and upgrades. Sure, that's superficial, and I could be wrong, but I wanted to say this.

Part of why it appeals to me, and granted again, I never actually played the first Adventure, but Adventure is far more story and multiple character/gameplay style to me. With that, I see frontiers as an interesting step, but I’m wanting to also just keep my focus on Frontiers for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Isn't he the same guy that also said once that making another Adventure game wouldn't evolve the series or something?

Do you actually have a source to back up your point?.....Whatever that's supposed to be.

15 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Should we really take what he said here any more seriously than "-and to see classic and modern together is a special, one-off event to celebrate Sonic’s anniversary. So it won’t be the standard format going forward."

Y'know, what he said in 2011/2012 that ended up not being what happened?

What i'm saying is that it's just buzz words.

He also started the whole two worlds mess IIRC. Why anything is being taken at face value right now baffles me.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Do you actually have a source to back up your point?.....Whatever that's supposed to be.

He said that, but it was like 10 years ago. I don't think his opinion from a decade ago is relevant now.

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I remember there being a topic on this very site about that, but it seems to no longer exist. :(

Spoiler

I really hope I didn't hallucinate it.

2 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

He said that, but it was like 10 years ago. I don't think his opinion from a decade ago is relevant now.

Wait, he's resorting to using old data out of context like that? Tsk.

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I remember there being a topic on this very site about that, but it seems to no longer exist. :(

Reveal hidden contents

I really hope I didn't hallucinate it.

Hmm. Given that whatever you're pulling from was apparently 10 years ago, I have my doubts.

And even if it did occur, that was 10 years ago, and under different context.

It's not good enough grounds for discouraging people from having faith in Iizuka. 

I am not looking forward to all the "SONIC ADVENTURE 3 CONFIRMED??? 😱😱" click-baity videos sonictubers are going to put out

though i find it funny that this simple phrase has managed to get some people more hyped for an imaginary game that doesn't exist than the actual game that's coming out this year

• Thumbs Up 7

18 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Exactly. They both share very similar concepts and ideas - but the execution of both games overall is quite different. They just didn't commit to the title for future releases, and there's nothing wrong with that of course. I just think when Sonic Adventure 3 / Subtitle arrives... it won't be what we want it to be, and maybe that's why they've avoided using the name previously (although they were very close with the Japanese Titled Version of Sonic Unleashed of course...)

Certainly possible 

50 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

People are gonna blow Iizuka's comments about SA3 out of proportion for the next five years aren't they?

There already are people going on about him supposedly lying....when he really gas no precedent to either. 

• Thumbs Up 2