Awoo.

Takashi Iizuka Reveals Hopes of Using Sonic Frontiers Work Towards Future Sonic Adventure Sequel

Sonictrainer

Just doing some housekeeping to update the thread title so people know it's just been delayed and not whatever Sonic fans were already making up earlier today.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember: Keighley doing an infomercial to make up new awards to give to The Druckmannn comes before actual video game news.

• Thumbs Up 6

Paraphrase: “We hope to use stuff we do in Frontiers to potentially continue the Sonic Adventure series.” 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Zadent said:

Paraphrase: “We hope to use stuff we do in Frontiers to potentially continue the Sonic Adventure series.” 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Who do I have a feeling Sonic Adventure 3 topics will be allowed here in the future? (When the game is announced of course)

1 minute ago, Zadent said:

I could totally see Frontiers being a test bed for a potential modernization of the Adventure formula. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Iizuka talking about wanting to give the player a "high level of freedom" while gameplay footage of Sonic being shunted down a predetermined path was a real chef's kiss by the video editor.

People are gonna blow Iizuka's comments about SA3 out of proportion for the next five years aren't they?

2 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Iizuka talking about wanting to give the player a "high level of freedom" while gameplay footage of Sonic being shunted down a predetermined path was a real chef's kiss by the video editor.

Still, he is of the right mind int that this game could be some sort of stepping stone towards an Adventure 3 title.

• Thumbs Up 1

They keep reusing that footage, and refusing to release more. Idk, it’s weird. Like, it makes sense in that they might not want to give more footage while he’s talking, but yeah. The openness does allow more freedom though, obviously.

He reiterates the high speed, linear action stages, so that’s curious (that description sounds more 3D based stages to me than 2D)

• Thumbs Up 9

The thing is, IF Sonic Adventure 3 does happen, will Chao Garden be included?

I mean, I am not interested in seeing it, but I know a lot of people will be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Listen, I know you are the admin here, but I thought Sonic Adventure 3 topics weren't allowed. 😛 I am kidding of course.

But yeah, this is interesting stuff. I wonder if they would bring back Chao Garden, as well as other playstyles, or at least other playable characters?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 2

Other interviews I saw people bring up before when talking about things like Heroes suggested he views the Chao Garden as part of Adventure, so possibly.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

The thing is, IF Sonic Adventure 3 does happen, will Chao Garden be included?

I mean, I am not interested in seeing it, but I know a lot of people will be.

That is literally the 1 thing people will ask of them to add above all else.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Zoomzeta said:

That is literally the 1 thing people will ask of them to add above all else.

No kidding! I can see the riots on the web happen if there is not a Chao Garden included.

I just hope they let Crush 40 do the main theme if Sonic Adventure 3 does happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Obviously, this overshadowed much of the actual discussion of Sonic Frontiers for me. If Sonic Frontiers really is sort of a test of a more open world formula for an eventual return to Sonic Adventure style games - sure, I'll bite. Even Iizuka making a clear separation between Modern Sonic and the "Adventure series" I consider to be real progress.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

Isn't he the same guy that also said once that making another Adventure game wouldn't evolve the series or something?

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Isn't he the same guy that also said once that making another Adventure game wouldn't evolve the series or something?

I believe he said that if the series evolved in a certain way, they would do another Sonic Adventure game.

I mean, they've essentially made Sonic Adventure 3 several times now (and just not given it that specific title) ...so sure, whatever Izuka.

There's never been defining format for that series (or any 3D Sonic game as it happens) in general anyway. So it's kinda difficult to get excited for something that "may come" one day but will dissapoint fans because it doesn't very closely resemble either Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

PTb4Bv4.png

I mean... Technically, it's exactly the same statement that he said 10 years ago Summer of Sonic... Soooooo...

Edit: Also tagging in the Admin so he can ban himself @Dreadknux

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

There is a big problem here though. An adventure game made with the gameplay concepts of Frontiers is not really an adventure game, it's a boost game with story.

The main problems are the more limited physics, the excess of automation (even more than in the original Adventure games which already had some) and bad controls (because Sonic struggles even to move with the 8 directions input relative to the camera and you can feel the struggle through the footage that has been shown, when the camera is not perfectly aligned with were you want to go).

I don't want an adventure game like that, honestly, and the idea that he's considering to waste the next 5 years for a game like that just scares me.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I mean, they've essentially made Sonic Adventure 3 several times now (and just not given it that specific title) ...so sure, whatever Izuka.

There's never been defining format for that series (or any 3D Sonic game as it happens) in general anyway. So it's kinda difficult to get excited for something that "may come" one day but will dissapoint fans because it doesn't very closely resemble either Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. 

What even makes a game an Adventure game aside from the name? Most of the  gameplay elements and features have been used in other 3D games anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1