Awoo.

What sexuality is Sonic?

Eggman Fan

Listen, I lied about the April fools joke, or real joke. eh whatever.

The truth is I just wanted to do a silly little analysis, and I panicked when I thought I made people mad. My first instinct was to play it off as a joke, and try to forget about it, which I admit was a pretty bad way off handling it. I apologize to anyone who thought I was being serious, or being a jerk. I understand anyone who got mad at me, and understand if you keep downvoting me. this is the last time I will mention it publicly, but if you wish to discuss it farther I will try my best to respond to anyone.

Sorry for the mess, and I hope we can move past this.

• Bad Quality Post 8

Is Sonic Heterosexual?

No. Everyone in the series is gay. I'm sorry.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

This debate makes no sense. According to your proofs Sonic can be still bisexual/demisexual and Sega probably will never go deeper into themes like sexual orientation in the series, especially with other tropes than safe hetero point of view. Japan will be Japan. 

Which is a shame because, in my opinion, characters like Tails just deserves a chance. The canonical romance between him and Sonic after all this years could be so great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's true love is chili dogs what's the label for that 

• Thumbs Up 1

To quickly summarise before the topic is locked, Sonic has canonically shown no sexual interest in any gender. This does not strictly mean he's asexual, it just means that we don't know, and it's up to interpretation.

Any other interpretations of Sonic, such as the Archie Comics series, lean on heterosexual. But that is only canon to those subseries, not to the mainline SEGA games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Closest thing you'll get is an off the cuff comment from Sonic Team (Naka? Oshima?) saying that the reason Sonic runs from Amy is because he's shy, implying he may return her feelings given the chance. That's about all we'll get. 

That and Sonic and Blaze blushing at each other in SatBK if that counts.

Basically I wouldn't think too hard on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Blaze was the only one who blushed. Sonic wasn't phased by Caliburn's joke. You can even discount that interaction if you choose to.

...There is another interesting beat in BLack Knight though, where Sonic realizes Nimue looks like Amy, but doesn't act like her, and tries to go for a reach around. Maybe the implication there is that Sonic finds Amy attractive and just thinks her personality is overwhelming.

I've landed on Sonic's sexuality being...open to interpretation and leaving it at that. If you told me he was straight, bi, gay ace etc I'd buy it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the only issue with Sonic's sexuality I have is with his dynamic with Amy. To me, the only way the Sonic/Amy dynamic can work is if Sonic has a very small chance of reciprotating Amy's affection. I think it creates problems if Amy was constantly chasing a gay man who could never return her affection.

Otherwise, I don't think it really matters that much. I imagine to Sonic, freedom and adventure are always going to be the things that drive him, at least to game Sonic. Archie Sonic is a whole other can of marbles, although really I think Archie Sonic has many traits that seperate him from incarnations. Boom Sonic, as well as the most of the Boom main cast, definetly seem heterosexual in a sitcom "Friends" kindof way. I'm thinking of that episode where the cast meet Zooey (I think), and then each recount the meeting differently, with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles I think all trying to impress her.

Talking about game moments is interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm misremembering this, but doesn't Blaze wink at Sonic at the end of the Rush games right before she leaves? I don't know if I just imagined that though, it's been a while.

I guess we don't really know. Sonic doesn't really talk about dating or romance in the games at all. Maybe he's more concerned with adventuring than dating. Maybe he just doesn't have those kinds of feelings to begin with. It's hard to really say, but they've really never explored this aspect of Sonic's character. In fact, the majority of Sonic characters (in the games universe, anyway) don't have any sort of romantic relationships aside from things like Amy's crush.

With one exception, of course: If you take the Twitter takeovers as canon (and I definitely do), then Eggman might be the only game character who's confirmed to have an active dating life. Though the gender of his dating partner was kept intentionally vague, so the question of Eggman's sexuality is also up in the air. (He does have descendants, as confirmed by Sonic Rivals, for what it's worth - though I should stress that alone wouldn't confirm exclusive heterosexuality necessarily.)

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s probably worth pointing out that the nature of this topic isn’t (well, shouldn’t be) offensive to anyone in any way. I don’t see anyone getting offended here, anyway.

It’s just a bit… confusing? I don’t know if there’s been any evidence of coding Sonic one way or the other in any media.

Sonic the Hedgehog is basically as gay or queer as the creators or writers make him. If fans want to identify him as one particular orientation so they can feel more of a close association with him as a character, then more power to them.

I’d agree that he’d be at least an ally by default. Because cool guys are allies.

But the real answer, I think Sean covered it. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

Romantic and/or sexual relationships would get in the way of running really fast. SEGA Sonic is ace. However, Archie Sonic is straight, StC Sonic is gay, and Boom Sonic is the disaster bi we all aspire to be, no exceptions.

• Chuckle 2

9 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Closest thing you'll get is an off the cuff comment from Sonic Team (Naka? Oshima?) saying that the reason Sonic runs from Amy is because he's shy, implying he may return her feelings given the chance. That's about all we'll get. 

Basically I wouldn't think too hard on it. 

I always thought his thing with Amy was that her fangirlish attitude was immature, and therefore she wasn't taken seriously by anyone. I mean, she is 12 after all, and Robotnik even refers to her as "that kid, Amy" when he narrates the How to Play menu in Sonic Adventure. But Sonic being shy makes sense, too, I guess.

Spoiler

And yes, Sonic X Sir Percival OTP

Sonic was totally macking on Nimue, so his aversion to Amy is purely a reaction to how she acts around him. Past that, Sega Sonic has flirty banter with Rouge and something of a implied connection with Blaze. He has a very heavily underlined interest in Elise and the original game did have plans for a girlfriend in Madona; as did X-Treme with Tiara - plus the media accounts have no reservations about fanning shipping flames. He's 15, he's not looking for a wife.

In every other media, Sonic has had multiple girlfriends, has sucked face with at least half a dozen girls and has made cartoon-googly-eyes to that many more. He's been engaged. He's gotten married and had kids. At one point, Scratch and Grounder bait a booby trap with what figuratively amounts to a Female Hedgehog blow-up doll and it works.

uh.... but naw. People can choose to latch onto whatever they want. If you interpret the friction between Sonic and Jet as somewhat romantic, then Its not like you can argue with someone else's perceptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

don’t know if there’s been any evidence of coding Sonic one way or the other in any media.

The old cartoons and comics definitely do give him an explicit interest in girls, and (not surprisingly, being mostly made in the 90s) do not allude to an interest in anyone else. So I think we can infer that the AoStH/SatAM/Archie Sonics are likely straight.

Game Sonic is a total mystery though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, some of the posts in this thread reminded me that Sonic wolf-whistles at Lumina Flowlight in Sonic Shuffle. 

So there's that, I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I do get to thinking of Sonic X, which is just Game Sonic in anime form, but that doesn't have any explicit reference to Sonic's sexuality even with the heavy SonAmy teasing. While the ship is heavily teased, the anime never has Sonic make any kind of move on Amy.

The only thing closest thing we get was when Sonic met Amy again back in their homeworld:
Sonic passes a flower to Amy and says something in response to her worries of never seeing him again, but we never hear what he says, though it causes Amy to latch onto Sonic while crying. The 4kids dub makes Sonic vow that he won't make Amy worry again, and the French dub outright has Sonic state that he loves her, but the original dialogue leaves the line completely open to interpretation.

In other words, since Sonic X is a faithful adaptation of SEGA's vision for Sonic, his sexuality there is still a complete unknown. If anyone could prove me wrong on this, I'd like to hear it!!

On 5/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

Eggman might be the only game character who's confirmed to have an active dating life. Though the gender of his dating partner was kept intentionally vague, so the question of Eggman's sexuality is also up in the air. (He does have descendants, as confirmed by Sonic Rivals, for what it's worth - though I should stress that alone wouldn't confirm exclusive heterosexuality necessarily.)

Eggman was and will always be an Eggmansexual. 

• Promotion 4

2 hours ago, Austroid said:

Eggman was and will always be an Eggmansexual. 

Now Neither Of Us Will Be Virgins! | Know Your Meme

• Chuckle 2

19 hours ago, Solly said:

Actually, some of the posts in this thread reminded me that Sonic wolf-whistles at Lumina Flowlight in Sonic Shuffle. 

So there's that, I guess. 

Was gonna mention this scene. I've always remembered it since it's truly the only instance of game Sonic actively showing attraction towards a girl. It's not even that Lumina was acting flirty towards him first or anything. Instead the minute he sees her for the very first time and before they've even had any interaction he essentially be all like "daaayyym". No being attracted to her personality or anything like that, just straight up "she's hot". It's kinda funny because if how little it corresponds with how we've seen game Sonic before or since.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, batson said:

No being attracted to her personality or anything like that, just straight up "she's hot". It's kinda funny because if how little it corresponds with how we've seen game Sonic before or since.

Sonic has a type, and apparently it's fairies.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to Sorry bout that.

Huh it's interesting to see, but despite my messing up, it looks like people still used this topic to discuss this for real. I'll leave it as it was, and apologize one last time for the mess.

• Thumbs Up 1