Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

The deleted synopsis gives me hope the story will be a lot more substantial than the demo that the leakers played.

The dialogue not being crap is still something, but it'd suck if they brought Ian in for a bare-bones script.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Razule said:

The deleted synopsis gives me hope the story will be a lot more substantial than the demo that the leakers played.

The dialogue not being crap is still something, but it'd suck if they brought Ian in for a bare-bones script.

Agreed. They finally bring in the loremaster, and he gets jack shit to work with while having to take the fall for Japan.

Talk about a monkey's paw, eh?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, tbh what I hope the most is that if the theories about the other talking to Sonic are true, is that he brings some nice entertaining dialog to the character more than anything. If there is lore in this game, it'll certainly be "kinda new". Before he said how strict his NDA was and that he couldn't do even "Knowing Smiles", I thought his "I know things about the origin of the Chaos Emeralds" where related to this game, but now I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't do something that would be so obviously taken as related to the game if it was actually related to the game.

Now about the current story, I wonder how wrong is the synopsis removed by SEGA (older version ? Details have changed since ?). I also wonder if he'll able to slip a mention to the "four great civilisations" tho, it's enough vague that he might be able to call the old civilisation the first/second/third great civilisation in a dialog ahah. It seems the kind of "lore" that could be easy to put in.

Now, we also can know that stuffs are happening behind the scene. Flynn changed suddenly from "Two World is canon, I don't like it either but it's like that" to talking about stuff as one world/planet. He said having knowledge about some stuff we don't really thought about (re: origin of the Chaos Emerald). What we don't know is if it'll mean anything for the game. That they want to attract more japanese player might affect how the story is written, I presume, especially with how this game looks "RPG-y" from the few info we have ?

And about big cities : I don't think we'll have any, how they present the game doesn't seems like having that, and more being about natural landscapes... But there seems to be trace of modern civilisation/technologie - that might be Eggman's - with the modern bridge we can see in the river shot at night, or the kind of grind rail we can see in the shot with the waterfall and the two "mushrooms" (not sure they're mushroom xD).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, FirePheonix said:

Found another leak from november 2020 and it doesn't inspire confidence at all, no spindash only boost in the open-world, the world not being sonic-y(I wonder if they just meant how the world looks or maybe that it doesn't play like Sonic who knows)

FHSyltFXsAsWNN3.png

FHSyltlXwAkSdZk.png

FHSy95SXoAQOBVW.jpg

I kinda figured we weren't going to get Spindash and rolling in Frontiers but this makes me wonder how the boost is even gonna work in this gameBBE881A7-D87E-441D-91DA-C50B4EB22E20.thumb.jpeg.b671d3f07de5ece89d909f9d5ae16a29.jpeg0A07C990-7747-47F5-9C77-734DD8E75871.thumb.jpeg.91b079809cdf228060e0558d81900bf9.jpeg

how are you gonna be able to move through tight spaces like this while boosting? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I kinda figured we weren't going to get Spindash and rolling in Frontiers but this makes me wonder how the boost is even gonna work in this gameBBE881A7-D87E-441D-91DA-C50B4EB22E20.thumb.jpeg.b671d3f07de5ece89d909f9d5ae16a29.jpeg0A07C990-7747-47F5-9C77-734DD8E75871.thumb.jpeg.91b079809cdf228060e0558d81900bf9.jpeg

how are you gonna be able to move through tight spaces like this while boosting? 

Nothing about this game seems designed for boost.

• Thumbs Up 6

Happy New Year! This year, with more momentum than last year, we would like to take on many challenges as a team so that we can bring the charm of Sonic to even more people. ‍Thank you for your continued support of Sonic this year.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Maybe from the feedback of the playtesters, they added the spindash who knows? They have had a lot of time and still do, so the final game could look totally different than what we are imagining.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also you can't tell me that this ramp is more suitable for the boost than the spindash.

it looks literally perfect for the spindash.

Екранна снимка 2022-01-01 002844.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m taking the ‘more momentum’ as more like ‘an increased push in our enthusiasm to bring this game to you’ rather than actually confirming momentum physics. I just keep my hopes and expectations low, then I can only be pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 7

55 minutes ago, FirePheonix said:

Also you can't tell me that this ramp is more suitable for the boost than the spindash.

it looks literally perfect for the spindash.

How do you differentiate a ramp made for the spindash from one made for the boost.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

17 minutes ago, caitash said:

I’m taking the ‘more momentum’ as more like ‘an increased push in our enthusiasm to bring this game to you’ rather than actually confirming momentum physics. I just keep my hopes and expectations low, then I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, I think people are overreacting with "momentum" part, considering that it was very likely just translated by Google Translator and may not actually convey the intended meaning of the original tweet

Being delayed by a year in order to improve the game quality (as opposed to being delayed because of COVID) is a good sign that they may be taking feedback from playtesters seriously. I'm not sure how far they can take the improvements and I wanna be realistic about it, but it definitely makes me more anxious about when we'll finally see proper gameplay footage lol

• Thumbs Up 4

This being a shareholder statement gives it some merit in addition to all of the leaks, rather than just hot air being spewed.

But the end result is gonna speak for itself 

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, caitash said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure those posts were joking

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega management being confident in the game doesn't really mean anything but I guess it's nice to hear they've been taking a new approach for the testing/polishing process?

• Thumbs Up 3

A lot of what they're doing and saying here feels a bit different. The jury is still out on whether or not it'll mean anything. 

At the moment, I'm still feeling zenned out about the whole thing. I truly don't know what to expect so I'm not going to lean one way or the other yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jun Senoue had an interview with NME about the past thirty years of the Sonic franchise, and his personal history and contributions. Interview is worth a read on its own terms, but I'm posting it here because Senoue also confirms he is involved with the music for Frontiers.

But of course he has also been working on the music for Sonic Frontiers, the recently announced game which will be the first to place the blue hedgehog in an open world, and is due to be released in late 2022: “This game is going to broaden how we view Sonic games, and I’m so excited for 2022.”

• Thumbs Up 3

The new approach isn't a bad things, it's not a magical solution to all problems, but can make the game better at targeting its audience. Now it won't mean that it'll be a "good game for Sonic fans", as it might not be in our vision of what should be a Sonic game, and not all issues we could find can be solved by game testing (for instance, if we want Sonic to be in a busy city, it's not game testing that will make the create an entire new zone just for the sake of it).

Postponing the game of one year can be good for polishing (and it's not a bad things that they're doing that), but now polishing isn't the only thing necessary to create an excellent game. BUT it might mean that some issues described in some leak could have had some work on it (like the battle system, that might be different to what have tested some, for instance).

Now, it doesn't really give us solid information (even if having some info of the process is always something I'm interested in), and let's hope we'll get some gameplay video soon. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a gameplay trailer around march, as spring were often when they started the full marketing campain, but we're in a bit of a novel case, where we got info sooner than often - compared to the release date - so I'm not sure at all xD

• Thumbs Up 4

I still think COVID must have led to that decision to delay the game, in some way. Those are all nice looking words, but of course, song and dance has happened before. Just gotta wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 3

If it was COVID, specifically, they would say it was COVID, because why wouldn't they? Literally everyone understands. And it definitely impacted development in one way or another.

But COVID-impacted delays are different from general improvement delays. COVID means making the game, even simplest things, become a lot harder, when you physically can't get anywhere or be near your coworkers or have to switch to remote / at-home development. You don't delay a game due to COVID over polish. The pandemic can upend entire development cycles, even ones that were perfectly on-track.

Going all the way to 2022 for a game that was to come out in 2021 over a pandemic that happened in 2020 for a game that started development in 2019 at the latest seems implausible.

• Thumbs Up 2