Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

I agree about the trailer, it sucked, as I mentioned the footage could be outdated, because that's also what it says in the press article and the TSS article, so I'm willing to hope that it's actually the case.

Playable Tails sounds like a good selling point. Uhm.

As usual, the marketing team has no idea what they're doing, showing none of the new features when the game is releasing in 3 months basically.

Sad that the port itself looks to be botched and halfhassed, gives me SADX vibes with the lighting and transparency issues lol.

Did anyone asked themselves HOW Tails would be even playable?

Would he be just  a skin? With magical power of boost and his twin namesakes just dangling there like toilet paper stuck to your shoe?

Or is he broken mode? "HOVER! NOW YOU CAN LEVITATE SLOWLY TOO..." "Yeah thanks, I pass"

And cutscenes?  Will Tails interrupt Sonic in middle of wise crack and shows him into elevator instead?

As for colors in Colors, HD sadly can ruin perfectly working design. See Maleficent in Kingdom Hearts 3 in comparison to earlier games. Or Wind Waker HD.

It's great to see that SEGA, after 30 years of Sonic games and constant failures, have never learned anything and keep repeating the same mistakes.

But hey, it's gonna sell like hotcakes anyway so why improve at all?

What is the problem?

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Would he be just  a skin?

This would be the obvious route, but...

2:09 in this video would be something, I guess. Or Tails could call his twin to help him fly.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

See Maleficent in Kingdom Hearts 3 in comparison to earlier games.

I...never saw a problem with her design in 3? That said, colors in HD certainly has a few issues I hope get fixed before release 

Just yesterday I was talking to some people about how "photorealistic" lighting doesn't belong in cartoony/stylized games and how it's a fad similar to bloom overuse in late 6th - early 7th gen console era, with people eating it up raw because it looks "next-gen". Today, I wake up to this... Thanks, SEGA.

Here's a picture of Burnout Revenge that communicates how I feel better than words:

burnout_revenge.thumb.jpg.e99e0d2713262fabd89c34842451bfb8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

The only cartoony game that really made great use of bloom saturation that still visually looks amazing even today, is Viva Piñata. It’s a shame more games don’t follow in that games footsteps. Great lighting, just enough bloom to make the world pop, etc. it still holds up even today and doesn’t look dated like a lot of games from that era. Honestly, I’m afraid that if that ever got an HD Re-release, they’d probably not do it the justice it deserves. Cartoony games as we’ve seen here, seem to be hit or miss when it comes to properly updating the visuals/lighting

IIRC, didn't the same leaker that (now confirmed) Sonic Colors Ultimate would have Movie Sonic themed skins and stuff and the Metal Sonic races, also said the port was UNPLAYABLE few months back or that was another? 👀 Hell, can we have only ONE leaker at a time?

And many people wondered how a remaster could possibly be unplayable. 

While I'm on the side where I like what I see. Just because a game is finished doesn't meant a remaster is guaranteed to be perfect out the gate. 

I honestly think the Tails icon is just cosmetic. Not being pessimistic, just following the logic. If Tails was playable, I'd imagine that would be something to announce.

Even if he is playable, he's just gonna be a skin with literally nothing that makes him unique.

I hope not. Tails is not the type of character who would be a skin honestly. It's possible but idk, yes... I dunno how they would adapt the level design or how Tails' flight would fit here. In any case, nice to have him.

19 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Tails is not the type of character who would be a skin honestly

He literally is...

I think they want to save the details for summer games and e3. That or SEGA has monkeys in their marketing team. 

Altough i have never seen the mention of online play anywhere, what is that about ?

Tails actually wouldn't need much done to make him work. Just give him "flight" akin to Princess Peach's glide from 3D World. Basically take Sonic's double jump and whereas sonic gets a second jump, Tails can maintain the height of his initial jump and fly horizontally for a brief time. 

Everything else can remain the same outside things like the running and victory animations. Like Sonic's double jump, his flight would be replaced by the homing attack if there's an enemy in range.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

What the Tails?

Very interesting. Wonder why the screenshots are only of the player character in wisp form though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

IIRC, didn't the same leaker that (now confirmed) Sonic Colors Ultimate would have Movie Sonic themed skins and stuff and the Metal Sonic races, also said the port was UNPLAYABLE few months back or that was another? 👀 Hell, can we have only ONE leaker at a time?

Yep. It was on SoaH.

https://soahcity.com/2021/05/06/rumor-new-sonic-colors-ultimate-details-leaked/

Although we haven't seen an actual movie Sonic skin in the game yet, it does include a movie-style boost and movie-themed player icons. That's more than enough to confirm that the leaker was legitimate, and either SEGA haven't unveiled the full movie skin yet or the leaker was slightly mistaken in what the movie skin would be.

52 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I honestly think the Tails icon is just cosmetic. Not being pessimistic, just following the logic. If Tails was playable, I'd imagine that would be something to announce.

Even if he is playable, he's just gonna be a skin with literally nothing that makes him unique.

I don't see any logic in "you can change your life icon to Tails" though. Colours on Wii already let you choose from a variety of Sonic character icons for your save file and had the default names set to various Sonic characters as well. But that didn't change your save file icon. And even if it did, the life icon in the Famitsu screenshots is clearly a new graphic designed to match Colours' HUD style.

Tails could be in as a skin (ala Shadow in Forces), and yes that would seem strange considering he doesn't play like Sonic in anything but the oldest games. It's not impossible that they chose to do that though. 

There's still a good few months until the game launches in September. Tails could very well be the next thing that they show off. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

I'm happy if Tails ends up being playable for real (and given those screenshots, I believe he will). Assuming he's not just a skin, it's another step forward, multiple (non-clones) playable characters in a boost game, something that seemed impossible so far.

At worst maybe all of this hype will show Sonic Team (even more than all of the constant requests from fans on forums) that people really want a playable Tails  (and others). 

This is a more high profile demonstration of the hype for a playable Tails since there are articles and videos being made about it. 

Maybe Tails will have a seperate campaign where he only goes trough levels tailored for him?
Kinda like Shadow's DLC in Forces?
Heck, they could give him a unique storyline where he actually saves Yacker, since that took place off-screen in the original game.

You can even give Tails the same Sonic levels, just not the boost sections but only the Wisp focused 2d platform sections, which is 80% of the game anyway. (Speaking of things the Trailer ignored)
He'll fit right in there.
Heck, I think Knuckles would work like a charm in Sonic Colors, the blocky levels are perfect for him.

47 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Yep. It was on SoaH.

https://soahcity.com/2021/05/06/rumor-new-sonic-colors-ultimate-details-leaked/

Although we haven't seen an actual movie Sonic skin in the game yet, it does include a movie-style boost and movie-themed player icons. That's more than enough to confirm that the leaker was legitimate, and either SEGA haven't unveiled the full movie skin yet or the leaker was slightly mistaken in what the movie skin would be.

I don't see any logic in "you can change your life icon to Tails" though. Colours on Wii already let you choose from a variety of Sonic character icons for your save file and had the default names set to various Sonic characters as well. But that didn't change your save file icon. And even if it did, the life icon in the Famitsu screenshots is clearly a new graphic designed to match Colours' HUD style.

Tails could be in as a skin (ala Shadow in Forces), and yes that would seem strange considering he doesn't play like Sonic in anything but the oldest games. It's not impossible that they chose to do that though. 

There's still a good few months until the game launches in September. Tails could very well be the next thing that they show off. 

True, but this is Sega; its completely in-character for them to do some shit like that regardless of logic.

I want to be wrong tho.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

True, but this is Sega; its completely in-character for them to do some shit like that regardless of logic.

I want to be wrong tho.

SEGA do all sorts of unpredictable shit. You're trying to predict the unpredictable here. The most straightforward reason a life icon changing to a different character in a game is... That you're playing as a different character. Simple.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah but it has these dead black eyes. I think it’s some kind of Tails costume tbh

3 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Yeah but it has these dead black eyes. I think it’s some kind of Tails costume tbh

I'll accept Tails doll as an acceptable option (I kid a bit).

• Thumbs Up 1

Japanese 30th Anniversary Limited Edition

spacer.png

30th Anniversary Sonic Collectors Coin

Life in Sonic's World Vol. 1 CD

Life in Sonic's World Vol. 1 Art Book