Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

7 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Check out this wallpaper from the anniversary site.

XA5dGuG.jpg

Weren't we just talking about Sonic with a fur texture last night? He looks so out of place next to the obvioulsy-reused Tails render.

Wow, Sonic's actually making a new expression...

9 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

XA5dGuG.jpg

Weren't we just talking about Sonic with a fur texture last night? He looks so out of place next to the obvioulsy-reused Tails render.

Actually making a new render and then not using it for the boxart is a choice

27 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Yeah OK what the hell everything looks fine here??? What's going on in the actual video?

I'm going to assume that the trailer was in low quality or it just wasn't compressed well. 

When the game was first leaked, I had the suspicion that Colors in particular was chosen due to it being the most stable game of their releases over the past decade, in addition to being one of their better-received titles. It's a game where it's very much complete and functional, where you could just add some visual/technical enhancements and re-release it without much issue. This remaster seems to hit that assumption exactly on the nose. A lot of the additions are largely cosmetic and don't really add to or change the base game.

Never heard of Blind Squirrel Entertainment before, wonder if this is (one of) their first porting jobs. That would explain the odd discrepancies / downgrade in graphics in certain spots.

Will agree with those who think giving this game a EGS-exclusive PC access is lame (the major sticking point being that virtually every previous Sonic game with a modern PC release has been on Steam) and the early access pre-order nonsense (for a remaster of all things) is extra lame on top of lame.

At this point I'm more interested in how this game will review more than anything else. Everything that made Colors fresh and welcome in 2010 has overridden the franchise and handled much worse as of 2021. I don't think this will review as well as it did originally, especially with how conservative this remaster is shaping up to be.

The more I hear about Colors Ultimate, the more I learn about these strange business decisions they made that seem to be a recurring theme here.

In the past 3 hours, I've gone from "I love Colors, this looks great" to "Do I even want to get this?"

Colors is also the only Boost-era game that is exclusively trapped on an older generation console.

22 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

XA5dGuG.jpg

This is actually what I meant when I said I don't like what he looks like. It looks like he's made of clay or plastic, and they etched the hair into him. Real fur would look better to me.

But, also, why not use this as the boxart/icon? It's better than what they're using.

For the record, guys, I wouldn’t exactly use the graphics as a quality indicator or anything, since bioshock and mass effect were well-received. (Save for ME’s user score, which seem to be coming from negative reviews in other languages)

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/bioshock-the-collection

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mass-effect-legendary-edition

With games like this I'd say it probably looks better playing it on your TV then watching low quality video 

....at least I hope so. That 60fps will also help make it easier on the eyes 

Here's the same Wallpaper with the US spelling of Colors

Wallpaper_2560x1440_Colors_Night.jpg

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2021/05/sonic-colours-ultimate-to-have-enhanced-visuals-rival-rush-mode-new-wisp-character-costumes/

This article along with the press clarifies the thing with graphics in the trailer. This along with skins as rewards, the new Wisp and if the new mode works like an expansion, then I would say it's a pretty good remaster. I'm excited now.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://colors.sonicthehedgehog.com/

The official Colours Ultimate site has a shitty, game industry circa 2021 breakdown of the digital version versus the "digital deluxe" version, including the further confirmation of the Deluxe version releasing earlier than the standard version, with exclusive goodies on top of that. No such information exists for the retail version. And it also lists Steam and not the Epic Games Store. It could be that it's also on Steam, or that the website is incorrect/outdated and it'll be EGS exclusive as the trailer implies.

coloursultimateversions.thumb.PNG.092c8da0d213b61e1b82309b3d45eaa2.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

What I really hate about this stuff is they screw over physical buyers as well. And it's not like they don't want folk to buy physically since there's that bonus keychain too, it's tat but it's a purchase incentive. So you basically have to buy digitally AND physically to get everything from this.

Extremely disappointed to see them go down this path. Sonic had kept its nose clean of industry BS this past decade aside from the temporary Super Sonic DLC blip.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a good decision to release a Colors Ultimate before a new, experimental 3D title (if actually true). If the new title doesn't work out, they have the classic collection and Colors to fall back on for the year and both will sell well.

Well this industry keeps trying to push buyers to go all digital if the PS5/Xbox Series X digital only versions (And hell Microsoft's original DRM Xbox One attempts) are any indications, so this doesn’t surprise me unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, N000 said:

What I really hate about this stuff is they screw over physical buyers as well. And it's not like they don't want folk to buy physically since there's that bonus keychain too, it's tat but it's a purchase incentive. So you basically have to buy digitally AND physically to get everything from this.

Extremely disappointed to see them go down this path. Sonic had kept its nose clean of industry BS this past decade aside from the temporary Super Sonic DLC blip.

SEGA's just following the money. They can get away with this as long as the rest of the industry gets away with it. I always buy physical and I'm not personally very cut up about missing out on a few cosmetics. But it's still a practice I dislike. I'm really not a fan of the remixed tracks being exclusive to the digital deluxe version though. And I think that "early access" is the scummiest shit ever. It's not early access to the game; that's the release date, and everyone else has to wait until a later date to get the game. I didn't think SEGA would stoop that low, but if they're doing it for Colours Ultimate you can guarantee that they'll be doing it for every other major Sonic release moving forwards too. 

Just now, KHCast said:

Well this industry keeps trying to push buyers to go all digital if the PS5/Xbox Series X digital only versions (And hell Microsoft's original DRM Xbox One attempts) are any indications, so this doesn’t surprise me unfortunately. 

I agree. It's not a surprise. But that doesn't make it any less shitty.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel the push is made easier by the fact that PlayStation and Xbox players have to install the whole damn game on their system anyway. Would be nice if they waited until more than half of America’s internet wasn’t shitty. Aside from the whole, you know, EXTREME carelessness publishers take in preserving works.

I really hope this game doesn’t take up a shit ton of space. Like most simple remasters/ports on Xbox and PlayStation iirc are pretty small. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

https://colors.sonicthehedgehog.com/

The official Colours Ultimate site has a shitty, game industry circa 2021 breakdown of the digital version versus the "digital deluxe" version, including the further confirmation of the Deluxe version releasing earlier than the standard version, with exclusive goodies on top of that. No such information exists for the retail version. And it also lists Steam and not the Epic Games Store. It could be that it's also on Steam, or that the website is incorrect/outdated and it'll be EGS exclusive as the trailer implies.

coloursultimateversions.thumb.PNG.092c8da0d213b61e1b82309b3d45eaa2.PNG

It has now been updated from Steam to Epic Games.

I have no idea what even counts as big or small for a game these days. I thought Generations was big in 2011 and that was a few gigs. Then I played Jedi Fallen Order this year and with was like fifty something? The game wasn't even that long.

E2boX5rXEAQ84KK?format=png&name=small

you know at first I was like “ early 2010’s was great for Sonic, it had colors and generations”, but then I remembered this is Game Informer, and iirc, didn't Game Informer fucking hate generations? They gave it like a 4.8 or something right? So wouldn’t be shocked if Colors really IS the only Sonic game of that era they recognize as worth praising 

@Shaddy Zaphod FF7R and Warzone are both like 90+ GB. On the flip side, something like KH MoM is only like 5 GB. As for Sonic, Mania is like only a few MB I believe? not sure how big Forces was.

With the new ominous lighting in Tropical Resort, it’s gonna be funny seeing them take so long to realize that the park is a cover for another Eggman scheme.

“I dunno what you mean, this place seems fine to me.”

*Silent Hill ambience plays in the background*

• Chuckle 2

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

E2boX5rXEAQ84KK?format=png&name=small

you know at first I was like “ early 2010’s was great for Sonic, it had colors and generations”, but then I remembered this is Game Informer, and iirc, didn't Game Informer fucking hate generations? They gave it like a 4.8 or something right? So wouldn’t be shocked if Colors really IS the only Sonic game of that era they recognize as worth praising 

@Shaddy Zaphod FF7R and Warzone are both like 90+ GB. On the flip side, something like KH MoM is only like 5 GB. As for Sonic, Mania is like only a few MB I believe? not sure how big Forces was.

I mean I think generations was fun for a run or two but I also see it as a fast burn. Most modern stages can be beat with just holing down the boost button and the story (to no surprise was pretty bad) but GI at that time I do not recall them rating it that low though. maybe like a 6 or something??

You know, now thinking about it, given they're actually adding new stuff and changing a few things, I kinda hope they add a couple more hits (or new attacks) for the Nega Wisp Armor's second phase, or have the phase 2 theme play earlier.