Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

The blur effect really is something else, holy shit. You can barely see a thing. Granted it might not be that bad when playing for real on a TV (we know YouTube can fuck up footages) but still. The darker black tones are likely some bad HDR settings, if I had to guess. But all the pop up is unacceptable. The Starlight Carnival has a lot of pop up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does this port have so many problems introduced? The new boost effect hurts my eyes while the new homing attack hurts my ears. This looks genuinely unpleasant to play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the game pre-ordered mainly cause twitch streaming content. Honestly if not for that, I’d probably just wait for it to go on sale before biting lol

Yeah, I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop as well. I wasn't a fan of Colors even at the time, and while I'm interested in giving it another shot, what I've seen of the remaster hasn't really impressed me. It hasn't turned me off, but it feels really basic and cheap, which is what I'd expect from the franchise at this point. There's a couple of games I'm waiting to land in the bargain bin before I grab them (Balan Wonderworld, Harvest Moon One World) and this will be one of them. I think I'll survive without the Baby Sonic keychain.

I'm not sure if it's 'greedy' or not, but if they were gonna do cosmetics, I would've preferred if there were just straight up options to turn Sonic into someone else. Add a Shadow or Silver model swap and give us either Shadow's red-boost aura, or Silver's light-blue aura. At the very least, you'd think they could add Metal Sonic as a reward for beating all six rival races.

• Thumbs Up 3

57 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm not sure if it's 'greedy' or not, but if they were gonna do cosmetics, I would've preferred if there were just straight up options to turn Sonic into someone else. Add a Shadow or Silver model swap and give us either Shadow's red-boost aura, or Silver's light-blue aura. At the very least, you'd think they could add Metal Sonic as a reward for beating all six rival races.

The developers do seem to have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for things they could possibly customise.  I have to imagine they had neither the budget nor the permission for model swaps - or more elaborate costumes of the sort which have appeared in the mobile games.

It really is kinda a shame how the customization feature was one of the most praised things about Forces, from even people that hated the game, and they follow that up with…this? Like going from shit like a fucking Persona 5 joker costume, to slightly different colored bracelets and boost aura is a really noticeable downgrade. Like I get it’s just a remaster of a wii game, but like still.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love that despite Ultimate being a budget release this appears to not have appeased many. I managed to snag this for £26.99 in the end and I think for what they're offering it's more than worth the asking price personally (which is just a better version of an already very good game). 

It's debatable with regards to the added content, which I agree could have been much richer (especially on the unlockable cosmetics side) - BUT you also gotta consider coming at this game from the other side (because it's not a remake and is just an upscaled port) - so they could have done nothing and only upscaled the graphics... and this still would have been fine because the basic game in itself was a great title to begin with.

Overall it will be nice to have the game out soon TBH, then we can close the Sonic Cycle once again and determine how great/mediocre/poor this port actually is.  

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, KHCast said:

It really is kinda a shame how the customization feature was one of the most praised things about Forces, from even people that hated the game, and they follow that up with…this? Like going from shit like a fucking Persona 5 joker costume, to slightly different colored bracelets and boost aura is a really noticeable downgrade. Like I get it’s just a remaster of a wii game, but like still.

No, that's not a reasonable complaint at all. You cannot expect any development team to implement a full character customisation suite for every game. That is an absolutely obscene amount of work that would have to be done.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

No, that's not a reasonable complaint at all. You cannot expect any development team to implement a full character customisation suite for every game. That is an absolutely obscene amount of work that would have to be done.

The complaint wasn’t that we didn’t get the fucking suit. (I could have brought up anything ranging from shoe cosmetics to stuff like Beats goggles, and the point would have remained the same) It’s still regardless a shame that the customization here is pretty underwhelming especially given past games handling on it. To go from neat references and costume cosmetics to forgettable color palette swaps IS a shame. I don’t see how that is “unreasonable” to be personally disappointed. I can understand how development may have been a factor and still feel that way. Shocker. As I said, I realize it’s an upscaled wii game, and there’s likely only so much they can do there with regards to new stuff, but the cosmetics are still pretty dull regardless. 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

The complaint wasn’t that we didn’t get the fucking suit. (I could have brought up anything ranging from shoe cosmetics to stuff like Beats goggles, and the point would have remained the same) It’s still regardless a shame that the customization here is pretty underwhelming especially given past games handling on it. To go from neat references and costume cosmetics to forgettable color palette swaps IS a shame. I don’t see how that is “unreasonable” to be personally disappointed. I can understand how development may have been a factor and still feel that way. Shocker. As I said, I realize it’s an upscaled wii game, and there’s likely only so much they can do there with regards to new stuff, but the cosmetics are still pretty dull regardless. 

Words like "underwhelming" and "disappointed" explicitly imply an expectation of something more. In an environment where developers are put under strenuous crunch to cram in features because the general public have come up with the mindset that they will accept nothing less than everything, your statements do not help. We very recently had the same thing where a bunch of twitter folks got weird about not being able to shoot individual fruits in Halo, seemingly refusing to accept that there are many reasons why that is very much not something you just add to a game.

Additionally it being an "upscaled Wii game" (despite the questionable validity of that statement, I think the game may have been completely re-engineered?) actually is not relevant, nor is it a qualifier. It could be any game at all and the expectation of in depth character customisation would still be unwarranted.

25 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Words like "underwhelming" and "disappointed" explicitly imply an expectation of something more.

“Being slightly underwhelmed/disappointed is unreasonable”

I swear to god defensive Sonic fans, blow this shit up so fucking hard just to argue. Did I say I hated the game because of this? Am I spitting on the developers and their work? No, I’m slightly disappointed by pretty boring looking cosmetics. Like, MANY in this thread have said before me. Yeah, I hoped for something a bit more interesting given past games. Like soap shoes, or Riders shoes, or some shit. I mean, christ, just above me there were people saying they wished for swappable character models, but I don’t see you jumping on them going “dude you’re being sooo unreasonable wtf you don’t get to be disappointed, or wish for something better, that’s ungrateful and implies that you expected more”

you can work hard on a game, and have that acknowledged, but still criticize things you’re not a fan of. And I’m not a fan of the bland cosmetics

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

I swear to god defensive Sonic fans, blow this shit up so fucking hard just to argue.

I'm not even defending the game, I'm just tired of people having unreasonable expectations for developers. It seems apparent that we can't agree on where that line is in this situation, however. Just know that these things are never as simple as you seem to understand it as.

I think having alternative skins like Crash 4 and not like....full customization like for Forces is something one can reasonably hope for. That said I wasn't expecting anything to that effect in a port of a old game so I'm surprised they did anything at all here, kinda shows them dipping their toes in the concept that will hopefully lead to a more engrossing feature in later games 

• Thumbs Up 5

This is not a "port" nor is it an "upscaled Wii game". It's a remaster; the work done is different and almost equivalent to creating a new game, based on an existing blueprint. Resource were spent on emulating and copying the source game. Some allocated more accolated to added value, which I'll admit seems fairly above standards.

I know that I shouldn't expect non-technical/industry people to know this but there is a significant difference in work.

While it doesn't change your perceived value for the purchase (I know personally that I do not want to replay the game, even remastered and with the bonuses), it would be nice to recognize the kind of demand that is made, versus the cost of this project.

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Words like "underwhelming" and "disappointed" explicitly imply an expectation of something more.

I don't give a crap about cosmetics in Sonic games - I love Sonic's design as is, I don't want to play as him wearing Billy Hatcher's hat, Beat's Goggles, Joker's Phantom Thief uniform and Bayonetta's high heels (as much of a look as that would be).

But it's still perfectly reasonable to criticise the cosmetics in this game as being underwhelming without wanting more.  I agree, they are underwhelming - and I don't say that to mean "I wish they were model swaps" or "I wish they were like the Avatar in Forces".  I say that to mean they might as well have not bothered - that sometimes a feature is so unappealing that the fact that it is ignored means that development time was wasted and could've been used on something better if this was the best they could do with the budget they had for it.  Or they could've just saved that money and put it into the next game, etc.  Because having matching coloured/glowing shoes/gloves throws off his design for me so much I likely won't touch them (and it'll bother me that they don't show up in cut-scenes, I'd rather the fiction of the game remain consistent across my experience).

The only saving grace I can give the cosmetics is that it probably isn't for me, the 30+ year old who still plays Sonic.  It's for me, the 9-year-old kid who used to use obnoxiously high contrast red and black colour settings on my Windows 98 profile "because it looks cool".  So at least in that regard we can be thankful it's optional - it's just a shame that it's the only thing there seems to be to spend collectables on.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think possibly there is an unacknowledged distinction here between "I would have liked to see this feature in the game" and "I expected to see this feature in the game", or "this feature should have been in the game".  I'm sure the developers of the remaster did exactly what they had the budget and permission for.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 8/11/2021 at 8:48 AM, Kuzu said:

Japanese commercial narrated by Aoi Yuuki (Sticks)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 3 weeks later...

So with the game a few days away, if you’ll be picking it up, what are you most looking forward to experiencing? I never actually owned colors myself originally, so more or less I’ll be experiencing most of the game brand new! 

Also, did anyone else pre order from GameStop? If so, has your card been charged yet, cause my order hasn’t still 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking forward to experiencing it with my wife watching, honestly. She's not especially tuned into the series, so I'm hoping she'll enjoy getting to know what your average garden variety Sonic game ought to look like. Hoping she'll want to play a bit, too. For myself, Colors is an absolute treat aesthetically, so I'm looking forward to that aspect a lot; also curious to know if the Rival Races add much of a challenge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So with the game a few days away, if you’ll be picking it up, what are you most looking forward to experiencing? I never actually owned colors myself originally, so more or less I’ll be experiencing most of the game brand new! 

Played it several times on the Wii. I suppose I look forward to - A. actually 100%ing it (Because I was lazy on Wii playthroughs and never bothered going for the RSRs), and B. Trophy Hunting. Under most circumstances, I really enjoy getting trophies in Sonic games, barring when you have to grind for them (IE - Forces' ring trophies), so it'll be fun doing that on Colours.

Also, generally experiencing the game again at 60fps. I haven't played Colours in at least four years or so - last time I did so was when I decided to do it and Secret Rings in one go, so it'll be nice to have that as a fresh experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I'm buying it on Switch. I know, I know. 30fps and all. I just want to play the game again in the most convenient way to me. 

And when I'm done, ill probably let my nephew have it. 

Well, a few days and a month on top for me with these physical production problems. 

Not going the digital route so I’ll have to like and lump it I suppose.

It will finally be good to see the game out in the open soon though and open to the actual ridicule/praise it deserves.