Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - Announcement Trailer

Sonictrainer

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I don't need you try to give me a pep talk or anything.

image.png.9ea9b531ddd84e795b96c56b1d505e9c.png

IT'S ALRIGHT, it wasn't my intention, don't take it the wrong way, my guy.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

And it shouldn't be up to the fans to say "this looks bad please fix it". 

I mean, yeah, I'm just saying that by experience. It helped those games I've mentioned, and quite a bit actually.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3

With other in-development games, there's generally some willingness to give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume that any problems will be fixed; but with Sonic, it's like we wouldn't put anything past them.

As far as I'm concerned, if people find seemingly small things so important, it's just a sign that a franchise has a soul. Sure, you don't want to be overly obsessed over a product and get outraged over it, but people voicing their concerns isn't obsession. It makes sense to want to preserve a specific unique feeling something gives you. That's the point of art and entertainment.

It's silly to think that Sonic fandom is somehow unique in this regard. It's hard for me to remember a fandom that I've been in where people weren't like this. And even for things that I've never been a fan of myself, like the recent example of Halo. Halo fans have not seen a good Halo game since 3, even though Halo 4 and 5 were technically good games. Halo Infinite demo from last year was criticized to hell and back, and now, after being delayed by a year, it's looking very appealing so far. 343i are now showing all the signs that they get what the core fans want while simultaneously finding ways to appeal to the mass audience with minimal sacrifices.

I am absolutely certain that almost all long-running franchises have fan forum threads scrutinising little details in products - it's just you're not within those fandoms to see it so you assume it doesn't happen.

The scrutiny is also more intense here because this is a remake of an existing product - we have something to compare to.  Humans love to play "spot the difference", it's how our brains are wired.  So there's an extra element to this pre-release discussion that isn't normally there in brand new games.

• Thumbs Up 4

It doesn't help that remasters are starting to seriously annoy people as they become more and more regular. 

You have full on projects like Crash and Spyro and people just can't help but be annoyed when mundane texture/lighting swap projects like this still exist. New games are becoming less and less frequent from big publishers, and people would rather if these damn remasters have to exist, bring something meaningful to the table like a completely revised graphical style or more new additions to keep it from feeling like JUST another retread and a stopgap between new things. 

That is just prime for scrutinization material. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/26/2021 at 3:24 AM, Salamander said:

With other in-development games, there's generally some willingness to give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume that any problems will be fixed; but with Sonic, it's like we wouldn't put anything past them.

The problem is that there is absolutely a precedent for SEGA/Sonic Team to just release broken games and just leave them broken. 

It also didn't help that Sonic Colors was already a 10 year old game, so we already have some conception of how the game should look. So showing Ultimate in such a way that clearly was in a broken state was a really bad move on their part.

I'm happy that Blind Squirrel and SEGA seem to have taken the time to actually fix it so it looks presentable now though, it's hard to believe that the game was originally planned to ship in September of last year, because boy it looked awful. As much as I'm not a fan of the aesthetic direction they went, it at least looks "different" and not "broken and wrong" like it did before. I can actually see myself picking it up on Switch, and later down the road when it comes on Steam.

There's been plenty of ports and remasters from older systems that have been poorly done to various degrees so its fair to approach with some caution when another one has some preview material that is lacking.

Best thing to do if you have doubts about how the product will turn out is to wait about a week longer and see how it is assessed and make your buying decision then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sixth generation games are infamous for being kinda difficult to properly port, see the Ratchet, Jak and Sly collections on PS3. Which is why I think more and more devs are going out of their way and remaking the games from the ground up instead, something I wish Colors was, to at least be on par with Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

New shots were posted of our favorite level to discuss. But someone pointed out that the planet is missing again. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 5/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I can't wait to play Colours on my PS5, but so far, it doesn't look like much has been done to improve the experience any. Even the model still looks like an old Wii model. I expected a bit more model and lighting changes, at the very least.

Feel lucky you even get to play it on ps5. i have to play it on SWITCH.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

New shots were posted of our favorite level to discuss. But someone pointed out that the planet is missing again. 

Only missing sometimes, which means shots of  an older build got mixed in with the new one, I guess?

Weren’t Mii’s a thing you could use in Colors gameland? Wonder if that function will return in the Switch version lol (if game land returns)

edit: yep they were

9 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I saw a pretty lengthy graphical comparison comprising of most of the recent gameplay shown  vs the Wii original last night, If I can find it again I will post (unless another Member already has) tbh Tropical resort is the only zone that I feel is the one that has relatively signficant visual issues. To the point where its completely and utterly glaring. (Maybe still some bloom issues in Astro Coaster too, but its alright). Otherwise I would 100% say that graphically Ultimate is for the most part an improvement, as you would hope it would be! These screens give me a bit of hope that Tropical Resorts issues are mostly going to be fixed! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Solid trailer. Getting the impression the original soundtrack won't be included in Ultimate. That remix of Planet Wisp sounds good though.  Hopefully the races against Metal are a decent challenge.

Metal sonic is about what I expected, Time attack with a different name, I’ll take it. The alternate costumes look hideous for the most part but extra content and replay value is always nice I guess.

Ghost is just a reskinned hover I figured it wouldn’t be anything actually new lmao, I wonder if we’ll see new levels based on it or just additions to already existing levels. And graphically it’s looking better through still a bit to much bloom for my liking. Still waiting on that music option for OG music

Overall it’s a fine trailer and covers a good amount, just none of the new stuff they added in excites me all that much

Changing the reward for 100 rings is cool, wouldn't mind seeing that come over to the next game if we're getting rid of lives.

I was going to say, the colored gloves and shoes look terrible but I really did want Sonic Team to take the idea of customizing Sonic from Forces.

I hope Rangers goes all in on that aspect. Actual costumes and maybe even change his fur...?

New trailer looks really nice. I'm curious as to what the "Super Sonic" tab could be. My guess is just a simple on/off toggle, but it'd be really cool if Super Sonic got some skins too (Hyper, Darkspine, etc). I really like how the customizable gloves/shoes look, especially the pink chrome ones they showed off for a brief second.

Also. Metal Sonic has animations (even if they look like they're borrowed from super sonic). Sega, please let us play as metal sonic if we complete all the rival rush races.

On a final, I wonder if the 100 ring invincibility will change how the "optimal paths" for acts are played. Now that we may be able to barrel through an otherwise long area with invincibility if we get enough rings up to that point.

unknown.png

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Changing the reward for 100 rings is cool, wouldn't mind seeing that come over to the next game if we're getting rid of lives.

Looks like it's not a reward for getting 100 rings but a special ring that's worth 100 rings and gives you invincibility. Which...I mean it's not going to hurt anything but feels like kind of an arbitrary addition.

1 minute ago, LegoFedora said:

New trailer looks really nice. I'm curious as to what the "Super Sonic" tab could be. My guess is just a simple on/off toggle, but it'd be really cool if Super Sonic got some skins too (Hyper, Darkspine, etc).

IIRC there was a Super Sonic toggle in the options menu in the original, so it's probably just that.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Looks like it's not a reward for getting 100 rings but a special ring that's worth 100 rings and gives you invincibility. Which...I mean it's not going to hurt anything but feels like kind of an arbitrary addition.

Yeah you're, right lol. Nevermind.

I'm sorry but am I crazy or do I hear someone screaming "Metal SOONIIIIC" in that trailer? ROFL

Certainly looks fully featured but I just wish there was literally anything here for people who found the original too easy as is.  Maybe Metal Sonic will surprise us but even in that footage it seems like they barely manage to keep him on-screen as he so leisurely trundles behind Sonic.

11 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm sorry but I am crazy or do I hear someone screaming "Metal SOONIIIIC" in that trailer? ROFL

You aren't insane. That voice clip is taken straight from an old Sonic Official stream, where they got stuck on the Metal Sonic fight during Sonic The Fighters.

Here's a timestamped clip if you want it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

2 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Solid trailer. Getting the impression the original soundtrack won't be included in Ultimate. That remix of Planet Wisp sounds good though.  Hopefully the races against Metal are a decent challenge.

I believe it was the composer himself who clarified on twitter that the original soundtrack is toggleable. Either that or someone else official said that. 

39 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

You aren't insane. That voice clip is taken straight from an old Sonic Official stream, where they got stuck on the Metal Sonic fight during Sonic The Fighters.

This is hilarious, honestly. You can tell the media managers are having fun.