Awoo.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (September 18, Limited Release; Available until March 2021)

Marcello

Please note: Super Mario 3D All-Stars will be available as a limited-run retail edition and a digital edition that is available for a limited time until the end of March 2021.

https://supermario3dallstars.nintendo.com/

Well, there we have it. The rumors have been proven right. Two of the best games of all time and one great one coming to Switch later this month.

Unfortunately, it looks like Nintendo cheaped out on it. I was hoping for something along the lines of the Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie remasters for 64, with it being in 16:9 and a redone HUD and some QOL improvements here and there, but even that was a pipe dream. Sunshine is 16:9, but they couldn't even bother to change the Gamecube's X button to the Switch's. It's also apparently still 30 fps according to people on Resetera, but I can't tell myself.

Still, as I said they're very good games, so there's that at least. I've been wanting to replay 64 for a good while now. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to buy this before I even get a Switch, because for some bizarre reason it's a limited time release.

Wow this is disappointing. Was hoping they'd take a page out of the NSane Trilogy and rebuild the games from the ground up. This looks like minimmum effort was put in so far. Hard pass until I learn more. Doesnt help that I  can play a nearly identical experience on wiiu.

I’m still gonna pick it up, solely because while I have 64 on Virtual Console, and physical editions of all three games, it’s an absolute nightmare trying to get the GameCube and Wii U set up in my current set up in order to play them. Hell, I used the GameCube wire for my N64, so finding it is gonna be a mission in of itself.

There’s still things that are uneasy though, like why is there no Galaxy 2 or 3D Land? Why the fuck are we still doing this limited release bull crap in 2020? It was one thing when they ported the fucking SNES All-Stars to Wii, sold it at a premium price, AND made it a limited release, but now for this brand new game, they’re doing it again...just because they did it years ago with the Wii All-Stars? Something that’s already rectified by the Nintendo Selects lineup that made is as common as any other game?

This is really frustrated. I tend to like to pick up whatever games on Switch I can physically, due to how limited space is on the Switch, and now I’ve got to gamble and get the digital version, or hope that a physical edition comes into a store near me. It’s so dumb for the sake of three bare basic ports coming to Switch with a music player.

I never really expected them to revamp the visuals. I'd imagine that'd take a shit ton of work. If I could pick between Nintendo possibly working on a Odyssey sequel or having new visuals for 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, I'd pick the sequel. But that's just my opinion.

My reason for buying it is similar to @Ryannumber1gamer.

You know I never did get around to playing Galaxy on the Wii what luck, and yeah while I can play the other two on their original systems my GameCube is getting shabbier by the day. Honestly if they were remasters I'd probably hard pass, 64 especially lives by it's dated quirks. 

Didn't really expect or want a visual overhaul but some small things like Sunshine still being 30fps are disappointing. 

I'll still get it since Galaxy seems to be playable without motion controls, finally. 

Getting it for Sunshine alone, since it's the only 3D Mario I've never owned. It's the weakest of the bunch for sure, but I still found it pretty fun.

Making the digital version limited time only is dumb

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

Getting it for Sunshine alone, since it's the only 3D Mario I've never owned. It's the weakest of the bunch for sure, but I still found it pretty fun.

Making the digital version limited time only is dumb

Not gonna lie, Sunshine is a big reason I’m getting it on release. It’s the one 3D Mario game I have super amounts of nostalgia for. Never owned it personally back then, but I used to play it quite a bit on a friend’s GameCube back then. I’ve been wanting this ported for ages. I did end up picking it up later off Ebay, but it’s a nightmare setting the GameCube up in my current set up, so it’s been in the backlog for awhile.

I never actually finished any of the earlier (pre 3D Land) 3D games either, other than SM64DS, so quite a lot of it is gonna be new for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought the FLUDD was really cool and it developed Mario's jumping abilities in 64 in a really unique way. Games like Mario and Hat in Time which emphasize innate jumping skills over gaining new abilities is why I'll always prefer this formula to other 3D collectathons like Banjo and Ape Escape.

Unfortunately I found the level design and mission structure to be kind of naff. It's a fun game to play but I would never be able to complete it 100% in a million years, there's too many tedious tasks and I suffered burnout from it in ways I never did with 64 or the Galaxy games.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's going to be oddly refreshing to finally play Mario 64 in HD without horrible ugly pixellated 2D elements everywhere I have to say, but I am a little surprised that they didn't make it 16:9, I really can't think of what within the game would cause an issue there.  Other than that though, I don't really mind the lack of visual update.  Sunshine and Galaxy still look really great to this day, and I'd hate to see them pull a Wind Waker HD and overcorrect in trying to bring the visuals up to modern standards.

But yeah, it is kind of a bummer that Galaxy 2 and 3D Land are missing, and the limited release thing is bizarre considering I can't see any reason why these won't replace the originals as the definitive versions of the games thanks to their minimal changes.  Usual Nintendo being their usual Monkey's Paw selves I guess.  If it weren't for the limited release I'd have suspected maybe Galaxy 2 would come later as "DLC" or something, but that feels unlikely.  Probably just trying to save something for the 40th anniversary lol.

I'm curious to find out how Sunshine will handle the lack of analog shoulder buttons, but we won't have to wait long to find out.  Luigi's Mansion on 3DS worked fine without them but to be fair I don't recall there ever being much reason in that game to use anything except full blast.

It's gonna be real fun to play Sunshine again, I never did finish it but played it ton given it was among my first Gamecube games along with Sonic Adventure 2. I didn't own a Wii, so I never got a chance to actually play Mario 64 on the VC or Galaxy, so I can finally right that mistake. 

they sure took the bare minimum approach though I guess; these are more or less just ports with few enhancements.

I have a confession to make. I've...never played 64 or Galaxy. I never owned a N64 growing up and I had financial issues during the Wii's generation. Now I can finally play these games for myself and put them behind me.

Though I am really excited for Sunshine. I have fond memories of it and I really like the atmosphere of it. I kiiind of wish this was released sooner because of the summer island theme Sunshine has but eh they did what they could. Still good stuff.

...But why the limited release though? Its so weird and random.

10 minutes ago, JezMM said:

It's going to be oddly refreshing to finally play Mario 64 in HD without horrible ugly pixellated 2D elements everywhere I have to say, but I am a little surprised that they didn't make it 16:9, I really can't think of what within the game would cause an issue there.  Other than that though, I don't really mind the lack of visual update.  Sunshine and Galaxy still look really great to this day, and I'd hate to see them pull a Wind Waker HD and overcorrect in trying to bring the visuals up to modern standards.

But yeah, it is kind of a bummer that Galaxy 2 and 3D Land are missing, and the limited release thing is bizarre considering I can't see any reason why these won't replace the originals as the definitive versions of the games thanks to their minimal changes.  Usual Nintendo being their usual Monkey's Paw selves I guess.  If it weren't for the limited release I'd have suspected maybe Galaxy 2 would come later as "DLC" or something, but that feels unlikely.  Probably just trying to save something for the 40th anniversary lol.

I'm curious to find out how Sunshine will handle the lack of analog shoulder buttons, but we won't have to wait long to find out.  Luigi's Mansion on 3DS worked fine without them but to be fair I don't recall there ever being much reason in that game to use anything except full blast.

It’s being speculated on Reddit that 3D All-Stars is a special bundle deal for the anniversary, and after the March date, the games will be sold digitally on the EShop as separate, individual, and price-hiked versions, which if true, it would explain why Galaxy 2 and 3D Land are separate - so if they’re released standalone, more people will buy them.

I replayed Sunshine right before Odyssey came out and I think I'm good for life on that game now. It'll be nice to have it I guess but if I could just get Galaxy by itself I probably would lol. 

Never played 64, Sunshine or Galaxy, so I will happily pick this up. Also really want to play Galaxy 2, a shame it's also not included. Hoping for a separate Switch port.  

Is SM3DW supposed to be getting a Switch port at some point?

I never did beat Sunshine either. I bought a used copy once from Gamestop a long time ago I was never able to return that kept crashing. I don't remember really liking the game that much anyway but maybe it was the constant crashing that dampened my experience so I'll give it another shot lol.

Also my Galaxy copy went missing a few years ago so I can just get it again here, and while it is disappointing Galaxy 2 isn't included in this I still have my copy and I can easily hook up my Wii/Wii U to play it so it's not a huge deal for me.

6 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Is SM3DW supposed to be getting a Switch port at some point?

I think this should answer your question:

Complete with online multiplayer and the works.

• Thumbs Up 1

A random thought occured to me - I haven't seen anything to suggest that Galaxy 1's co-star mode will be upgraded to be the same as Galaxy 2's, where Player 2 controls an actual Luma within the game's space rather than just a second, contextless on-screen pointer.  That small addition (plus a few other ways Player 2 was given to interact with the world in Galaxy 2) were a massive upgrade over the original and made Player 2's experience genuinely engaging.

Massive missed opportunity if Co-Star mode is exactly as it was in Galaxy 1 still.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

I think this should answer your question:

Complete with online multiplayer and the works.

Thanks for the heads up.

SM3DW is one of the few 3D Mario games I have actually played. I've beaten it, although never gone for 100% completion. Perhaps I will when it comes out next year.

Looks like I'm gonna be playing a lot of 3D Mario games over the next six months :D

It's a shame that they're probably going to leave these games untouched, because frankly the blue coins of Sunshine are even more in-need of a sledgehammering fine-tuning than Wind Waker's triforce chart quest was.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

It's a shame that they're probably going to leave these games untouched, because frankly the blue coins of Sunshine are even more in-need of a sledgehammering fine-tuning than Wind Waker's triforce chart quest was.

I have 118 Shine sprites on the game. The other two are blue coin related. Because of the way the game works, they could be in any of the game's huge maps and I have no idea where they might be. This will haunt me for the rest of my life. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I have 118 Shine sprites on the game. The other two are blue coin related. Because of the way the game works, they could be in any of the game's huge maps and I have no idea where they might be. This will haunt me for the rest of my life. 

The only good thing is that at least the 100% reward in Sunshine is crap and not remotely worth the effort.  Thank goodness they didn't come up with the wild idea of giving us another level to play until Galaxy 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got a huge grin on my face seeing Sunshine officially in HD. I'm really curious how the controls were adjusted but I imagine it plays with the GCN adapter too.

I'm mostly disappointed in the weird limited run on the digital copy and the lack of Galaxy 2. I own all the original games, and have ways of playing them all emulated anyway, so this is more of a nice collector's thing than anything. Not sure if I'll be able to get the physical right now, so if I miss out I miss out I guess. I'll probably grab it digitally near the end of the year if nothing else.